New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Default Barbarian/Warblade

Just a quick question, can a Barbarian/Warblade use martial manuvers while raging? I havent seen anything that allows or disallows it.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they just drag you to their level and beat you in experience."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Barbarian/Warblade

The answer probably depends on the specific maneuver. Some maneuvers, as I understand it, require making Concentration checks, and those are definitely not available during rage. There might be others which specify "calculated, precise action", or something of the sort, and those might be disallowed, too. But maneuvers which just involve "hitting stuff real hard until it goes splat" should be OK.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah, probably no Diamond Mind (do Warblades even get that school?) but stuff like tiger claw, stone dragon, I can definitely see happening. That'd be pretty cool actually.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    Yeah, probably no Diamond Mind (do Warblades even get that school?) but stuff like tiger claw, stone dragon, I can definitely see happening. That'd be pretty cool actually.
    Yup. Warblades get Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, and White Raven.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I was wondering about this myself. I've been planning, off and on, a Goliath barbarian/Tiger Claw warblade/bloodclaw master (this last part mostly just for flavor), and I've been meaning to ask my DM about maneuvers while raging, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. However, I did just take a moment to skim the ToB again, and I found the line "Unlike with spells or psionic powers, you do not need to concentrate to initiate a maneuver or stance." I think that pretty much seals it as a yes.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    However, I did just take a moment to skim the ToB again, and I found the line "Unlike with spells or psionic powers, you do not need to concentrate to initiate a maneuver or stance." I think that pretty much seals it as a yes.
    Just be careful - I'm not sure if there are any, but if a maneuver requires you to make a skill check that you normally couldn't make while raging, you probably can't use that one. Don't know if there are any of those, though.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    Warblades do get Diamond Mind ("samurai" warblades, anyone?), and I wouldn't think Diamond Mind maneuvers would be illegal in a rage unless they require a Concentration check. DM's call on the ones Chronos mentioned, where the fluff specifies "calculated" or anything like that.

Barbarians have always been able to use Weapon Finesse or fight defensively in a rage, after all. (Although they can't use Combat Expertise, so maybe the "fight defensively" was an oversight in the rules rather than an intended strategy.)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Just be careful - I'm not sure if there are any, but if a maneuver requires you to make a skill check that you normally couldn't make while raging, you probably can't use that one. Don't know if there are any of those, though.
    The only discipline that requires mental skill checks (Concentration) is Diamond Mind. A few Setting Sun maneuvers call for Sense Motive checks, but that'll only come up if one multiclasses as a Swordsage or uses Martial Study.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay