New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 84

Thread: Sliders

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Karaswanton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Sliders

    Enclosed within the valleys of the Serpencoil mountains lies a town, Duvik’s Pass. Over the last few years the town has become an economic center for the area, but lately they've been having some...problems.


    Just outside the town, maybe an hour's walk or so, a hole opens in the world, about nine feet above the ground. The hole in reality is an unstable portal to the Nethervoid, the space behind planes (as opposed to the Astral Plane, which is the plane between planes). Out of the dark, swirling hole come four adventurers.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, everyone make me a DC 10 fort save. If you fail, you are sick to your stomach for one hour.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

    Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

    Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Sliders

    Spoiler
    Show

    fort save (1d20-1)[8]


    Valdin has two superficial sword wounds. Her dagger is drawn an bloody. She looks around wildly and starts screaming, "no, no, no, NO! That bitch!"

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Damage Control's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nevada.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Glenn

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[15]


    A man comes tumbling out of the hole, making a few ugly clank noises as his armor smacks the ground. He lands on his back, and tries to roll over to get himself up, looking a lot like a blond turtle. He eventually succeeds on rising to his feet, sputtering curses and wiping dirt off various parts of his armor.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Stephen
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+2[/roll]
    How do I make this thing work?


    A slight young man in clean, if simple, vestements hits the ground with a jangle, betraying his possesion of a chainshirt. Though he also has a light crossbow on his belt and pack on his back, the way he blinks in the sunshine gives the distinct impression he was inside before being dropped unceremoniously on his rear. He surveys his new suroundings with an odd mix of interest and resignation, gives a sigh, and can be heard to mutter "By the gods of earth, sky, sea, and flame; what did I do this time!?" He stands, dusts himself off, and edges away from the screaming woman. God works in mysterious ways, but this is a bit much, even for me.
    Last edited by journeyman; 2008-02-15 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Trying to get the dice roll to work
    I challenge the laws of nature and reason by summoning the power of destruction. EXIST


  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Sliders

    Enoch
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[6]


    A tall man with sun-darkened skin comes tumbling out of the hole next, narrowly missing the other adventurers but managing to land flat on his face. He pushes himself a little ways out of the dirt, mutters "Didn't expect th- Rrghn!" and rolls onto his back, clutching at his stomach.
    Last edited by Fishy; 2008-02-15 at 02:28 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Karaswanton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Sliders

    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone failed the Fort Save except for the Paladin. I guess he sits around while everyone else retches.

    Journeyman:The fort save is basically just flavor text, so I figured I'd just say you failed it to keep the game going. For future reference, you don't capitalize the word "roll," and more importantly, I think I saw some spaces in there. To roll you just do {roll}1d20+3{/roll}, but with [] instead of {}. Try a few practice rolls on the OOC.


    Once everyone is done retching, you notice you have fallen near a country road. It's not actually so much a road as it is a heavily beaten path. Anyway, a few hundred feet down the road you see a band of refugees. They are wrapped up, and followed by mule-driven carts filled with all their earthly posessions. They will be very near to you soon.
    Last edited by Karaswanton; 2008-02-15 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Used the wrong name.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

    Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

    Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Damage Control's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nevada.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Glenn

    Glenn stands transfixed, the confusion of an hour of three people retching adding insult to the injury of being sent off to wherever the hell this is; he notices the pack of travelers on their way, and despite not knowing his companions, he tries to rouse them so they won't scare away the refugees. "Um. Wake up? Anyone?"

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Stephen

    "Ugh...I'm...well, I don't know what that was or how it happened, but the side effects...nevermind." He washes his mouth out with a quick drink from the waterskin on his belt and looks down the path to the refugees. I am somewhat disinclined to think we are here by chance, but I'm uncertain exactly where "here" is. I would suggest however, that we stay together until we know why we're here. To that end, introductions are in order. I am Stephen Venthir, a scribe, scholar and sometimes healer. On the word "healer" he glances at Valdin's wounds, but keeps his distance for the moment.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to get a feel (hunch) for what kind of people my new companions are.
    Sense Motive (1d20+6)[16] on Glenn
    Sense Motive (1d20+6)[16] on Enoch
    Sense Motive (1d20+6)[12] on Valdin

    Also, Heal check to determine how minor Valdin's wounds are. (1d20+6)[16]
    I challenge the laws of nature and reason by summoning the power of destruction. EXIST


  9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Damage Control's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nevada.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Glenn
    "...Er, hi. I'm Glenn. I'm... an activist," he says with an upraised eyebrow, unsure if these people will even know what that is. He's obviously realized by now that he's not in Kansas anymore, but the weird factor has yet to subside.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Stephen

    What an odd accent, I wonder if common is not his first tongue? An archivist? Well met, Glenn. I would not have taken you for such, but as they say, "A strong arm does not mean a weak mind." Where is your home library? He seems genuinely interested, the indignity of the past hour already forgotten.
    I challenge the laws of nature and reason by summoning the power of destruction. EXIST


  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Sliders

    Enoch

    Enoch's stomach churns, but fortunately he hasn't eaten anything this month. Dry heaves are unpleasant, though. He rises to his feet, somewhat unsteadily, and gives his fellow travelers a word and a nod. "Enoch. Wanderer," he explains, before turning his eye to the horizon.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Survival check: (1d20+6)[11] What kind of environment are we in? Any of these plants look familiar to the flora of Enoch's home plane? Any of them look edible? Does one of them happen to be a cure for stomachache? :P
    Last edited by Fishy; 2008-02-16 at 03:16 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Sliders

    Aside from the first outburst, Valdin spends the hour in meditation, trying to regain control over her body. As the nausea fades, she tunes back in and catches the conversation. "I'm not even sure who I am anymore, but you might as well go on calling me Valdin" Pausing a second to manifest a power, Valdin then glancing at the refugees. Valdin fills the group in on the info from the intro. "Perhaps this ragged band of travelers know something of the road ahad.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Stephen

    Stephen's attention is drawn by Valdin's odd statement. I am curious indeed as to how you can know this place and yet not know who you are, but it can wait for another time. I think it best if we keep quiet about our odd means of arrival. The common folk are rightly suspicious of greater magics, if they would even believe us. It would seem we are bound for Duvik's Pass, let us say no more than that.

    OOC: What time of day is it?
    I challenge the laws of nature and reason by summoning the power of destruction. EXIST


  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Karaswanton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Sliders

    Stephen only:
    Spoiler
    Show

    They don't appear to be lying about what they've told you.
    Glenn has an honest face, despite his confusion.
    Enoch seems to have some outdoorsy training.
    Valdin is a bitch, or at least, is very bitchy at the moment.

    Valdin's "surface wounds" are not serious, and do not need to be treated. Not even non-lethal damage.
    It appears to be early afternoonish. The two red suns make it hard to tell, but it looks to be around one o'clock.


    Enoch only:
    Spoiler
    Show

    The terrain is mountainous. The trees and such are mostly conifers, with a few deciduous trees thrown in for good measure.
    You find a small bush with berries, enough for a few mouthfuls for yourself--enough for you to last the day, or enough for everyone to have a mouthful. Whether you share or not depends on if you can get away with it.
    The bush doesn't look very healthy.

    Many of the plants in the area appear blighted, and you don't see any animals.

    You don't see anything that would "cure" a stomachache, but you can feel the pangs lessening.



    The small caravan consists of twelve to fourteen adults, and a few children. A withered old man with a walking stick leads the sad procession. He is tall and lean, with a ragged white beard that comes down to his waist. He is the healthiest looking of the bunch, everyone else is wrapped up, and some have visible sores. One of the worst cases is a small bundle wrapped up in the wagon, perhaps a toddler.

    About forty feet away from you, the old man stops the procession with a gesture. He then walks a few paces in front of the group, and stands with his legs spread out in a fighting stance. He raises the walking staff--an impressive rod, it appears to be made out of oak--up to the ready. His fierce blue eyes scan the area with the cunning and ferocity of a wizened and aged wolf. He calls out, in a voice that waivers, lacking the strength it once had.

    Who goes there? Are you friends or foe?
    Last edited by Karaswanton; 2008-02-16 at 12:15 PM.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

    Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

    Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Sliders

    Valdin

    Lets assume Valdin has cleaned and put away her knife at some point long before this. We are not friends, surely. But if you can stop waving that stick at us, we don't have to be foes either. We are travelers, on our way from one place to another and we seek nothing from you but information on local conditions. Specifically I am looking for an inn with a hot bath and a strong ale, but if you know what blights these plants I am usually interested in expanding my knowledge.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Damage Control's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nevada.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Glenn
    "Archivist? Um, no. Activist. I... try to make the world a better place to live, to put it simply," he explains, though he's not quite sure what world this is. He throws waves to Valdin and Enoch, but is a bit scared by the appearance of the refugees. "What happened to you people?"

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Stephen

    So, the least personable of us spoke first, just great. Still, she put it well and her curiousity speaks well for her. Still, there is something about her that just isn't quite right...oh well, this too can wait, those people look like they need help. I'll need to get a closer look at those sores. Besides, I dislike conversing at a distance. Stephen holds his empty hands out to his sides in what he hopes is a non-threatening manner and walks forward slowly as he speaks.

    I am Stephen Venthir, and speaking of local conditions, I would know what ails your group. Has some plague fallen on these lands? You look to have been forced from your homes.

    Only combat takes the fit, while leaving the young and old to flee. It is not disease alone that is killing these people. I'm almost sorry I skipped so many training sessions these last few years. At least I have my weapons and armor with me, skilled or not, we must look fairly dangerous to these poor souls. Perhaps Glenn can put them at ease, he seems the type.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Two suns? Where am I?
    Knowledge (Planes) (1d20+6)[21]
    Lore (1d20+3)[10]
    Last edited by journeyman; 2008-02-16 at 01:35 PM.
    I challenge the laws of nature and reason by summoning the power of destruction. EXIST


  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Karaswanton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Sliders

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdin View Post
    Valdin

    Lets assume Valdin has cleaned and put away her knife at some point long before this. We are not friends, surely. But if you can stop waving that stick at us, we don't have to be foes either. We are travelers, on our way from one place to another and we seek nothing from you but information on local conditions. Specifically I am looking for an inn with a hot bath and a strong ale, but if you know what blights these plants I am usually interested in expanding my knowledge.


    The old man puts his staff in a less aggressive position, although he does not put it away. He coughs briefly, a ragged wheezing cough, and then he begins:

    I think your attitude could use an adjustment, stranger. I was only being cautious, there's kobolds and worse in the area.

    In any case, if you're looking for a hot bath and a strong ale you're in the wrong place. The only thing they have in stock back in Duvick's Pass is pain and suffering, and they have that aplenty. The plants are affected by the Burning Plague--the same plague which is blighting our good people.


    He coughs again, this time it is worse, and he coughs into his sleeve. He just coughs for about a minute.

    Although, you bunch look new to the area..and you look ready for adventure. Perhaps you could find out what poisoning everything. Everyone's been hit by the Burning Fever. I don't know how the plants got the same disease, but they did. I think it might be some kind of supernatural blight. Probably those thrice-damned kobolds.

    When he says "thrice-damned" a young girl admonishes him for cursing in front of strangers. As a response, the old man rolls his eyes.

    Stephen:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Outcome is foggy.
    You don't really know, other than that the area has the same properties as the Prime Material Plane. It stands to reason you are on the Prime Material Plane, but on a different plane, or perhaps on a different Material Plane.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

    Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

    Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Stephen

    My healing skills are mostly theoretical. I can barely handle an outbreak of colds, much less a supernatural plague. Still, I'm here and I don't see any other other reason to explain it. If the kobolds did this, they may have a cure. I'm obligated to help these people, but I can't do it alone. Glenn said he tries to make the world better and he seems trustworthy. Valdin's a bitch, but she's clever and her speach shows education and arrogance in equal measure. Most likely she is a mage of some sort. Perhaps curiousity in this supernatural affliction will be enough to make her want to help. I don't have a good read on Enoch. He undoubtably could survive alone, but I don't think he can refuse when he's so clearly needed. I'll just have to trust Glenn to talk the others into it. Now, I need to learn what I can here.

    OOC: It will take forever to roleplay out each Q&A, so I'll just list my questions and leave it to you to determine when and who I ask.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal check to learn what I can about the burning plague (When did it start, incubation period, transmission method, ect. (1d20+6)[9]


    Stephen tries to get more info about the area and kobolds as well.
    I challenge the laws of nature and reason by summoning the power of destruction. EXIST


  20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Damage Control's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nevada.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Glenn
    His initial reaction upon learning they are sick is to back up, but camera training keeps him close enough to give off a friendly impression. "If this burning thing is bad enough to affect the plants, that's probably what I was sent here to do." Something in his mind moves his fingers subtly, and he finds himself whispering his first language, "Montrez-moi les mals du monde..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Using detect evil on the people/plants to find out if the disease itself is evil. You never know, right? "Show me the evils of the world."

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Karaswanton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Sliders

    OOC to Stephen:
    That technically would be a Gather Information check, not a Heal check. However, just asking the old man, and appearing friendly gives you this result:

    The old man coughs briefly, and then answers Stephen's questions:

    The Burning Plague is a contagious disease spread by contact. Usually it's rats or vermin that spread it, but we don't have a rodent problem in this area. Something else is going on I think, possibly some sort of dark sorcery.

    It usually needs multiple exposures before causing serious harm. The symptoms include fever, searing muscular pains, clenching of the throat and possible choking, fatigue and potentially death.

    Did I say DuVick's pass is a mining town? The mine is full of rich mineral wealth, but we think it is also the source of the blight. God's curse those respons..*cough* responsi*hack* at fault. It has to be those damned kobolds. The took the mine from us awhile back. Some of the people back at the town are still waiting for their menfolk to get back from the mines. Some of the kobolds have come down with the sickness as well--serves them right!



    DC: Um, the adventure module should have addressed that. It doesn't. I'm going to go with a "yes."
    Last edited by Karaswanton; 2008-02-16 at 08:20 PM. Reason: grammatical errors
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

    Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

    Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Sliders

    Enoch

    Enoch finished his inspection of the local wildlife, coming away from one particular bush with a handful of berries- which he inspects curiously, but does not eat. They seem to occupy most of his attention as the old man speaks- until he thinks to ask: "Without the town, do you know where you are going?"

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Damage Control's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nevada.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Glenn
    "The disease itself is evil, so it's not just some freak plague. Do you want to check out the mines?" he asks his companions. If the kobolds are getting it too, that must mean they aren't at fault, but that's probably not something the old man wants to hear.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Stephen

    I'll go. Stephen says with a conviction his voice usually lacks.

    Glenn senses evil? I saw no spell. It seems I'm blessed to have the company of a member of some holy order. Usually such are proud warriors, his humility does him great credit. If the kobolds are catching ill though, they are unlikely to have a cure. The plague must have come from something else. Perhaps the kobolds dug too deep and released something from the depths. Regardless, it seems in everyone's best interest to move along quickly. Water won't be a problem, but I have no food...oh well, it wouldn't sit easy until I've done all I can anyway.
    I challenge the laws of nature and reason by summoning the power of destruction. EXIST


  25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Sliders

    Valdin glances his companions over with renewed interest as they display their various skills. This of course, is a terrible idea. However, I recognize the chances of us showing up here together randomly are near zero. So someone is playing games with us. I am no ones pawn. But for now, we should play along with the game and find out the rules, so we can break them.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Damage Control's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nevada.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Glenn
    "Oh, I know someone is playing games with me. But he means well. I think," he says, a genuine note of uncertainty in his voice. "We'll be glad to have you along."

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Karaswanton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Sliders

    The old man seems confused about the talk of your being "played with," but he gives you directions to the mine. The path you are on leads west to town, there is a road leading from town to the mine, which goes north.


    I'm sure the townsfolk would apprectiate any helo you could give. As for myself and my family, we've seen enough--we want out.

    It seems like one or two of you question the point of helping out strangers in a tight spot. You might want to talk to Mayor Sendars, or perhaps Stefan Doverspeak, the chief mercant, about the possiblity of compensation.

    You might want to talk to Stefan first, he seems to have some influence on the mayor..and he's a businessman.

    Of course, I can't guarantee they will offer compensation, but those would be the men you'd want to talk to.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

    Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

    Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Sliders

    Enoch

    Enoch turns and looks to the north, idly scanning the terrain. "I think I would like to see these mines," he says after a moment, "And it would save us the trouble of explaining... things."
    Last edited by Fishy; 2008-02-18 at 09:36 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sliders

    Stephen

    If the others move on toward the town immediately, Stephen quietly drifts to the rear of the marching order and keeps his crossbow handy. He might not be able to avoid dying, but he'd at least like to get it done before he gets cold or hungry. He's willing to stop for a quick visit to the mayor or merchant first, but he'll argue against talking to both as "a waste of valuable time".

    If the others look like they'll be a while, he investigates that bundle that might be a toddler. He doesn't have the time, skill, or supplies to do much for all these people, but given a chance he'll do what he can for the children.
    I challenge the laws of nature and reason by summoning the power of destruction. EXIST


  30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Sliders

    We should talk to either the mayor, the merchant, or both if the first we visit proves worthless. Though they are obviously ignorant if they think the kobolds are responsible when the kobolds are sick as well, they may know some clue that stronger minds might make better use of.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •