A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [Avatar d20] The Fall of Chin the Great - Group 2 IC

The Fall of Chin the Great – Group 2

The last few years have been full of upheaval, conflict, and uncertainty. The armies of Chin the Great washed over the Earth Kingdom, leaving only Ba Sing Se, safe behind its impenetrable wall, unconquered. Now though, the tide of Chin’s conquest has crashed against the rock of Avatar Kyoshi and has begun to recede, leaving shattered villages, purpose-less military units, and disrupted lives in its wake.

Rumors are flying throughout the kingdom. Some say that Kyoshi separated a piece of the country from the mainland in order to stop the conqueror. Some speak of the inability of the Earth King to stop Chin and quietly foment rebellion. Some whisper quietly of the order that would have come with Chin’s complete conquest. More loudly, people complain of banditry, poverty, and the destruction left by the various armies.

It is in this time of uncertainty that you find yourself in the village of Yu Shya, a local trading center approximately 3-day’s ride southeast of Ba Sing Se. You are standing at the edge of the town square, where it appears several things are happening. At the well in the center of the square, a slender man wearing the ragged clothes and the pointed hat of a peasant is speaking excitedly of betterment for peasants and general prosperity for the people of the Earth Kingdom when the new order comes. He is surrounded by people, who become increasingly agitated with every sentence. On the left-most fringe of the square, a well-dressed nobleman is surrounded by a rough crowd of characters, with whom he seems to be engaged in a heated discussion, though if you listen carefully, you can hear the clink of coins at intervals. The nobleman continuously looks askance at the group in the center of the square. Finally, the walls of shops surround the square are plastered with wanted posters for various bandits and criminals, all advertising a reward if the pictured individual is captured and turned in to the authorities.

Quintin Blake
    Spoiler
    Show
    You were away from your village when Chin was defeated, and cut off from the resulting island. Deciding to seize the opportunity, you’ve arrived in Yu Shya as simply the next stop in your wanderings. Rumors that Avatar Kyoshi is in Ba Sing Se might have informed your decision, however.

Rikoda
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hardly know where in the Earth Kingdom you are. Your wanderings have simply led you here. While you have substantial funds saved from previous employment, your income has been meagre and your skills with the Sammisen have been bringing in little extra.

Lyzander
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bandits aplenty roam the hills around Yu Shya, and you’re in town looking for news of their movements. It’s been rumored that some of the officers of Chin the Great’s army have joined with these bandits and are the cause behind their recently-increased activity.

Boruk Chun
    Spoiler
    Show
    Constantly looking over your shoulder in case the army has decided to track you down for deserting, you’ve arrived in Yu Shya simply looking to blend in and rest for a few days. You had thought that the small town would be a bit more peaceful than the country sides.

Aki Miruko
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a young girl wandering alone, you’ve found the country side a perilous place to be. You’ve had to fight off bandits twice since you left the last settlement, and the security of a city is starting to look attractive, especially since you’ve been able to earn a few silver pieces by performing around the town square.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aaaaand….go!

In your first post, please briefly (or extensively, your choice) describe your character’s appearance and what they’re doing in town at the moment. I hope everyone enjoys the game, and apologize for the slightly-delayed beginning.

{table=head]Player|Character|Class
    Jagadaishio|Aki Miruko|Firebender 5
    Frigs|Boruk Chan|Fighter 5
    Wrath Hammer|Lyzander|Rogue 5
    Goats O' Mjolnir|Rikoda|Waterbender 5
    Imbasel|Quintin Blake|Airbender 5[/table]

I claim sandy brown as the DM's IC color.
    Last edited by Mephibosheth; 2008-02-14 at 04:17 PM.
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Avatar d20] The Fall of Chin the Great - Group 2 IC

A tall dark man wanders around the square, plucking on a Sammisen while singing a song of his tribes. He is ruggedly handsome with a beaded goatee and a long black pony tail. He carries a satchel at his side and a waterskin on his back which sloshes occasionally as he dances around. He is wearing a pair of green-brown pants and a dark blue open chest tunic, revealing swirling tattoos on his chest that flow to his arms.

Rikoda ceases his plucking and clinks a few coins he has in his pocket, frowning at how low his income has been lately. Out of his peripheral vision he see's the wanted posters, having spent a few years of his life as a bounty hunter, he walks over and views the posters.

[OOC:I had a ton of money left over, but I dont mind rping that I have little cash, would you like me too spend some of that on equipment to make it easier for ya DM?]
    Last edited by Goats_o_Mjolnir; 2008-02-14 at 02:53 PM.
    Newest Avvy by Bisected8

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

OOC (@ Goats):
    Spoiler
    Show
    The WBL guidelines for this setting are definitely a work in progress, and I always forget how much or little wealth the characters actually have when I write up the intro posts . RP having the wealth you actually have, and I'll change the intro post.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

A tall, musceled Adult moves into the square. He is dressed in simply green clothes of a peasent, but moves with a commanding step. He leds a Ostrich-Horse after him, which has a long spear tied to it. The man briefly stops to talk to a merchant before seeing the nobleman. trying to avoid unwanted attenton, he moves closer and listens.....

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently - (1d20+4)[16]

Please be good, Please be good!

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Copacetic; 2008-02-14 at 02:46 PM.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Whoops! No Listen roll. Here it is. Listen Check - (1d20+0)[18]

6. - Top - End - #6

Rikoda

The wanted posters show a bewildering variety of individuals, from missing daughters of minor nobles to bandit leaders to deserted army officers. Similarly, the rewards offered are all over the map, from 10 pieces of silver for bandit underlings or information about local petty theft to a 100 gold piece reward for the leader of a nearby bandit clan, a tall, thick man with an impressive white beard and bald pate named Jin Hua. Most of the posters mention turning the pictured offender in to the local authorities, but a few seem to be private bounties for various wealthy and middle-income residents of the town. You also see a number of advertisements for employment guarding trade caravans, most of which direct you to the caravanserai on the outskirts of town for further information.

Boruk Chun

Possessed of surprising dexterity for a man of your size, you are able to edge close enough to the group round the nobleman without being noticed to hear some snatches of their conversation. You lean against a wooden post near a store as you strain to listen.

...worried about these peasants. Who know's what's going to happen if they get all riled up.

And you want us to do...

...just need some more men around my home. Will you help?

Perhaps, but my "help" don't come cheap...

Mine neither. What'd you have in mind to give for our "help?"
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aki was dancing. She had deposited her belongings in a cheap inn, changed into her bright performer's clothes. She was in the square, neither too near the centre nor the edge, free and relaxed as she danced away. After lightly-charring a few bandits on the journey here, she felt that this was the best way to relax now. She was bending occasionally as part of her dance, letting sparks and small flashes of light trail behind her moving limbs.

A clay cup sat next to her, a few of her own coppers in it to make others more willing to give her their money.

(I've never used the board roller and I'm not sure how I would go about doing it.)
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

8. - Top - End - #8

RedWizardGuy

Quin walks around and sees the reward posters. He turns to the man next to him and says "So, you need some extra cash too? My name in Quintin Blake, whats yours? He extends his hand in greeting.

OOC: This should be Rikoda I am talking to I believe.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Boruk chews his lip momentarily before deciding it was worh it. e walks up to the nobleman and clears his throat.

Hello there, I can't help but overhere your confersation about unruly peasents, and I believe I'd be ideal for the job. I've dealt with more than just a few unhappy peasants.

Boruk cracks his knuckles at the end of the last sentence for a good effect.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's how you roll [roll=Whatever you want to name it]xdy[/roll*] Just replace the x with the number of die and the y with the number of faces. Also remove the astersk at the end.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here's how you roll [roll=Whatever you want to name it]xdy[/roll*] Just replace the x with the number of die and the y with the number of faces. Also remove the astersk at the end.
    And if you want to roll, say, 1d20+10, would that be [roll=Whatever]xdy+10[/roll*]?
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Now i think it's my turn....sorry for the retardation.

Lyzander
    A middle-sized man enters the square among all the population, almost all of his body is covered by clothing, except his hands and a part of his face. His pace is very fast, as he would be floating a few centimeters from the ground. After killing a rapist last night and leaving his money(his own, not from the rapist) on a false wall in a alley,he is looking for others transgressors disturbing the population, and bring then to justice.
    In his back is possible to see some kind of volume inside his clothing, in the upper extreme is visible a grip, of a sword, scimitar or whatever object similar.
    Trying to mix himself among the people, he moves in a accelerated pace towards the exit of the village leading to the hills. "This will be a great night for hunting in the wilds" he thinks. There are some oficials who were supposed to be protecting the people, but they are losing this conception. And now they MUST be replaced.

And Lyzander, gets out of the square to make justice by his own hands.

[OOC:Am I very bustler getting out of village straight to the "objective" without any conversation, or there is no problem?? If have please tell me that I will reduct the pace]
    [OOC:And I'm very sorry, but I didn't understand the way of rolling the dice, I thought it was just write [roll=Whatever you want to name it]xdy[/roll*] on the post.......but it didn't work, is there anything that I forgot?? Sorry for this complication]
    Last edited by wrath hammer; 2008-02-15 at 11:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

[OOC]: no No No, There is no * at the end of the roll! It's just [/roll]! Asterisk=* Just so you know. [/OOC]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rikoda stares at the newcomer, staring him up and down. Thinking that this man means no harm, he smiles with genuine warmth and shakes his hand firmly

"Rikoda, pleasure, so you looking for a bounty as well my friend?"

[OOC: Can you give me more info on any bandit bounties please:D]
    Newest Avvy by Bisected8

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

[roll=Move Silently check]1d20[/roll]
    [OOC] do you mean to write like this? I tried before without * when you spoke it to jagadaishio and the outcome was the same like this[/OOC]

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by wrath hammer; 2008-02-15 at 08:33 AM. Reason: mistake

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

[roll]4d 8[/roll] THAT is how you roll, except with no space in between, just choose the number of dice and what kind in between [roll] [/roll] i.e 1d6, 1d20, 3d12 etc
    Newest Avvy by Bisected8

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Boruk Chun

The nobleman looks up quickly, apparently having not noticed you approaching. He clears his throat and whinces slightly at the knuckle cracks.

Yes, well. You probably would do alright. Come to my estate tomorrow, just outside the city to the west, and we'll talk about the details.

With that, he stands up and nods to two large men standing behind him.

The same offer stands for everyone. Goodnight, gentlemen.

Rikoda

There appears to be a standing offer of one gold piece for every member of the "Earth Kingdom Treasurers" brought in alive. Apparently, members are identified by armbands bearing the national emblem of the Earth Kingdom in gold, in mockery of Earth Kingdom authority and making a joke about the shape of Earth Kingdom money. For every armband you bring in without an accompanying live bandit, there is a reward of 5 silver pieces.

In addition to these general rewards, there is the 100 gp reward for the capture of Jin Hua. There is also a standing 5 gp reward for any captured former members of Chin's army.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A couple of OOC notes:

First, it would help me immesurably if you would put the name of your characters in bold at the top of your posts. In case anyone is unfamiliar, the code for this is , with the desired text between the two sets of bracketed code.

Second, just to clarify, the board roller functions as follows:
    Code:
    [roll=Name]xdy+z[/roll]
    If you're going to name the roll (which isn't necessary, and ultimately kind of a pain, imho), it cannot have any spaces. Thus, "Move Silently" wouldn't work, but "MoveSilently" would. Your other option is to simply title the roll in normal text (perhaps bolding it for easy identification and using the following code:
    Code:
    Name - [roll]xdy+z[/roll]
    Another option is to use InvisibleCastle and simply post a link to the result of the roll.
    I hope that helps.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rikoda

Excuse me Quinn, I found the bounty I wish too find, your more than welcome too come along, but I dont plan to share.

Gather Information Roll

(1d20+2)[16]

[OOC:I realize we're splitting apart Meph, is this ok with you? if not I will adjust my post]
    Newest Avvy by Bisected8

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Aki
    -----

Perform Dance:
    Perform - (1d20+10)[25]
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Lyzander

Lyzander tries to get over some building(house, any trade post, shop or whatever) and go through the rooftops so he can get faster to the exit of the village and therefore the hills where the bandits and the turncoat officer is located and put an end to his treason.

Climb the Building
    Climb - (1d20+12)[18]

[OOC]Before anything else I would like to say that this characther is a kind of fanatic for justice. And as so, he don't care about bounties or rewards for bringing the transgressor to the autorithies. His "natural reaction" would be kill him on sight[/OOC]
    Last edited by wrath hammer; 2008-02-15 at 09:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

RedWizardGuy

I'm doing quite well thank you. Do you want to work together to bring these people to justice?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

I do not know how to make a spoiler warning so unless your the DM please do not read this

I'm sorry i know i'm not part of this thread and i shouldn't post, but i'm just telling the DM that maybe it would be a good idea to check out Quintin Blake's air bending skill point spend, maybe i simply do not understand the way skill points work, but isn't the current build impossible

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    How to make a spoiler, Part 1. first, make a pair of brackets. [] Then put the word spoiler in it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Simple right? Then just but in your words, and repeat step one but put a slash behind the first bracket. Like this see?
    . Example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hello, I am a spoiler
    I hope You learned how to make a spoiler. Have a good day.

Boruk

Boruk nods at the nobleman, nods at the othermen, and heads back to his ostrich-horse and pulling it to the slender man talking to the crowd.

23. - Top - End - #23

Aki

Your firebending-enhanced performance has drawn a small crowd, and choruses of “ooh’s” and “ah’s” great each spark and explosion. By the end of the dance you’re cup has filled considerably, with an amount of copper coins (and a single silver coin) equaling 2.5 silver pieces.

Everyone:

Over the course of your activites, the late afternoon progresses into evening and the square gradually fills up with townsfolk on their way home or heading to tea shops and restaurants to relax after work. Suddenly, a large explosion rips through the chatter and bustle of the busy square, and a large cloud of smoke billows out from one of the side streets. One of the buildings near the edge of the smoke catches on fire, and ash and charred boards fall from its shattered roof.

Only seconds later, a small crowd of men burst from the smoke cloud and spread out to the shops that ring the square; grabbing weapons, valuable commodities, food supplies, and cash boxes from the terrified shopkeepers. With weapons clutched in their fists, they cut down any that attempt to stop them.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry I haven’t posted in the last few days. The weekend was substantially busier than I had anticipated. Also, initiatives:

Quintin Blake: 12
    Aki Miruko: 18
    Boruk Chun: 15
    Lyzander: 14
    Rikoda: 10

Finally, Imbasel, Hacim is right. How does Quintin have 20 ranks in Airbending? The max ranks a 5th level character can have in a single skill is 8.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24

RedWizardGuy

OOC: Oops I forgot I can only have max ranks for 3+ your class level, that will be fixed.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Boruk

Bouk instinctively covers his head at the sound of the blast and pulls shield over himself. Loking at the bandits, he realizes that there won't be anymore explosuins if they have people in. Swinging himself on to his mount, he takes his lance, readies his shield and charges.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ride Check DC20 - (1d20+12)[22] Full round action to ready both his lance and shield. Ride check to Fast Mount.

26. - Top - End - #26

RedWizardGuy

Quin looks at the men and shouts NO!!!!!!!!!!! I won't see any other innocent people get hurt.

He airbends a tornado in the center of the men who are attacking.

Link
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1499023/

Got a 35, I will do this once it is my turn, and watch them fly.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rikoda

Shocked at the blast, Rikoda notices the bandits swarming through the streets and begins making swaying motions with his hands. Water funnels out of the bladder on his back, and he compacts into into a cylinder.

The water crystallizes, and with several rapid hand thrusts, discs shoot out the top of the cylinder to the nearest bandit.

Ice Shards 2d6 DC 14

(1d20+13)[14]

+11 for waterbending ranks and wisdom+2 for knowledge synergy

dunno if I rolled it correctly, plus I didnt add+2 because I was Unsure if it was night yet.
    Newest Avvy by Bisected8

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Lyzander

Almost at the edge of the village over the roof of a shop, Lyzander hears the blast and turns back to see and watch the great cloud of smoke from the square and instantaneously thinks "BANDITS!!", and rushes back to the square
    jumping the houses.

Reaching there he witness all the scene. Furious he draw his scimitar and jump over the back of the first (careless)bandit that he sees, cutting his throat.

Attack:
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1499175/

Sneak attack damage:
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1499176/
    As I scored an critical the attack is multiplied by 2, therefore
    11x2= 22 damage

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I'm making a sneak attack this time assuming that the target is distracted robbing and not paying attention to his back in all the confusion.
    If the DM disagree of this attitude I change my post(or what he decides)
    Last edited by wrath hammer; 2008-02-18 at 02:50 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I realize I forgot to include a summary of how I like to conduct PbP combat in my earlier post.

I request that all players refrain from making second round posts after they post their actions for the first round. I will reconcile all of the characters' actions as well as those of the opponents, and make a post summarizing the round, including a map of the combat at the end of the round. Unfortunately, this means that we will likely be limited to one round per day, as I only have access to my drawing programs in the evening. Nevertheless, I find that this method substantially reduces confusion and makes battles easier for everyone involved.

So, in summary, after you post your actions, do not post again until after I have summarized the round and posted a map. If you need to make extra rolls or pose a followup for any reason, by all means do so. However, don't post your actions for the next round until after I summarize and reconcile.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30

Aki

In the process of depositing her coins in a pocket and bowing to the crowd as the blast goes off, Aki drops the clay cup and sprints in the direction of the nearest burning building. The clay cup shatters as it hits the ground.

Aki is going to see if anyone needs help within the burning buildings. If nobody does, she will turn her attention to suppressing the bandit attack.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------