Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Mass Effect, the D20 project

So I decided that I wanted to write up stuff for Mass Effect using the D20 system, because it's simple and I don't feel like writing a new system. Plus with D20 future, most of the work is done for me already.

I'll be putting stuff up here as it's written, and balance advice and all that stuff is welcome. Probably include a bit of background on each of the races, borrowed from the in game codex because that's where all background comes from.

Probably stat Turians for a start, because Turians are just that awesome. Hell, I'll probably consider this a success even if I only get the Turians hammered out. Which brings something else to mind. Wonder if anyone over in A&C feels like drawing a Turian avatar.... *goes off rambling about Turians and awesome*

For the record, I would put Mass Effect at PL6/7

The mostly hammered out archive of stuff:
    Turians
    Spoiler
    Show

Turian
    Medium humanoid (Turian)
    +2 Dex, -2 Cha
    Base Land Speed 30
    Radiation Resistance 5
    Bonus feats: Personal Firearm Proficiency, Advanced Firearm Proficiency
    -2 to Fort saves vs. Cold

Dextro-Protein Biology:
    Turian biology being based on dextro-amino acids, they cannot subsist on the same foods as most other species. Eating or drinking anything not specifically marked as compatible with turian biology forces the character to make a DC 15 Fortitude save; success means that the food passes through the turian's system without incident, while failure causes the character to become nauseated. Failing by 5 or more points means that the character has a severe allergic reaction and is dying.

Krogan
    Spoiler
    Show

Krogan
    Medium Humanoid (Krogan)
    +4 Con, +2 Str, -2 Wis, -4 Cha
    Base Land Speed 30
    +2 to fortitude saves
    +4 to intimidate

Wide-Set Eyes: Krogan eyes are set farther apart than those of most other species; while this grants them a wider field of vision, it also impedes their long-distance depth perception. Krogan gain a +2 bonus on Spot checks, but suffer double the normal attack penalties due to range.

All Krogan are infected with the Genophage, which means that only one in every thousand births is even viable. This combined with the warlike nature of Krogan means that they are a slowly dying race. Krogan aren't suited to the mindset of scientist, so almost no progress is made on finding a cure either.

For those who will inevitably try to get a Krogan pregnant, do the following: Have the DM arbitrarily pick two numbers. One between 1 and 100, the other between 1 and 10. Then roll a d100 and a d10 and see if both numbers came up. If they did, the pregnancy is a viable one.

Asari
    Spoiler
    Show
    Asari
    Medium Humanoid (Asari)
    Asari base land speed is 30 feet.
    -2 Str, +2 Wis
    +2 on Bluff, Gather Information, and Diplomacy checks
    Mind-Meld: Asari have a natural ability to attune their nervous systems to those of another nonmindless being, which they evolved for reproductive purposes. In order to perform a mind-meld, the asari must be within 5 feet of a willing target. Establishing the mind-meld is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, and the asari must concentrate in order to maintain it. Once the mind meld has been established, the asari may use either of the following powers: call to mind, or[i]psionic modify memory[i]. The asari may also choose to become pregnant; see Mixed Heritage below.
    Biotic Affinity: While not every asari is a biotic, their ability to consciously manipulate their nervous systems makes those of them who are more powerful. An asari with biotic abilities can have two psionic focuses rather than one.
    Mixed Heritage: Asari often use their unique method of reproduction to absorb traits of other species into their offspring. Asari may choose to possess any single special quality of any other species to reflect this, with the exception of ability bonuses. Pure asari - that is, asari born from a union of two asari - gain the Skill Focus feat instead, applied to a skill of their choice.

Salarian
    Spoiler
    Show
    Salarians
    Medium Humanoid (Salarian)
    -2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Wis. Salarians think fast, talk fast, and move fast.
    Base land speed 40 ft.
    Rapid Metabolism: Salarians do not suffer secondary effects from poisons and gain the same benefit from 1 hour of sleep as a human gains from 8 hours.

Hanar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hanar
    Medium Abberation
    -4 STR, +2 CHA, +2 INT
    Hanar physiology is designed for an aquatic enviroment, and would crumple under its own weight in an atmosphere. However, they are intelligent and have a way with words.
    Inner Light: Hanar glow with an odd inner light, and as such illuminate an area equal to five feet. This makes it impossible for them to hide using darkness as concealment.
    Enkindler Worship: Hanar society usually worship the Protheans, whom they believe gave them the twin gifts on intelligence and speech and call "Enkindlers". They have +2 to all checks regarding the history of the Prothans, and apply either their Knwoeldge (Religion) or their Knowledge (History) to such checks, whichever is higher.
    Polite: Hanar are exceedingly polite, and recieve a +2 bonus to Diplomacy Checks.
    Anti-Gravity: All Hanar are equipped with a Mass-Effect generator (free) which causes them to levitate two inches above the ground. As such, they cannot be detected by Tremor Sense or similar abilities.
    Blindsight: Hanar have no eyes, and cannot see, however, they can sense their enviroment within a 120' radius as if they could see. They are not affected by darkness or low light.

Quarian
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quarians
    Medium Humanoids (Quarian)
    +2 INT, +2 DEX, -4 CON
    Quarians are smart and agile but due to the hyper-sterile environment of the flotilla, they lack a strong immune system.
    Sterile Enviroment: Due to the hyper-sterile enviroment of The Flotilla, Quarians lack an strong immune system. They are innoculated aginst diseases, but they would collectivly prefer the saftey of their Bio-Suits to going without. As such, Quarians recieve a -2 to Fortitude saves to resist disease and poison. Quarians may also choose to begin the game in possesion of a Bio-suit.
    Pilgramage: Quarians are rarely seen outsid ethe FLotilla, thos ewho are are normally seen during a right-of-passage called their Pilgramage, in which they search for a way to aid the Flotilla. As such, adult quarians receve a +2 bonus to their Gather Information checks.
    Tech Affinity: Quarians live and die by their technology, and created the Geth. As such, the race recieves a +2 bonus to each of the following checks:
    Craft (TechMine), Disable Device, Craft (Electronics), Repair, and all Knowledge (History) Checks pertaining to the Geth.
    Robotics: Quarians have an intimate understanding of technology and synthetic constructs, and as such, may apply precision damage to constructs.
    Dextro-Protein Biology: Quarian biology being based on dextro-amino acids, they cannot subsist on the same foods as most other species. Eating or drinking anything not specifically marked as compatible with quarian biology forces the character to make a DC 15 Fortitude save; success means that the food passes through the Quarian's system without incident, while failure causes the character to become nauseated. Failing by 5 or more points means that the character has a severe allergic reaction and is dying.

Elcor
    Spoiler
    Show

Elcor
    Large Humanoid (Elcor)
    +4 STR, +2 CON, -6 CHA
    Base Land Speed: 15 ft.
    The large Elcor grew up on a planet with an extremly high pressure, where a simple fall could prove fatal. Their bodies adapted, making them strong wenough to hold up their bodies, and hardy enough to stand the pressure. This has colored the Elcor personalities where the are slow and deliberate - far from personable traits.
    Hard to read: Elcor Body language and phermones are to subtle for most species in the galaxy, and they often go out of their way to state the tone they're intending when they speak. An Elcor gains a +12 bonus on Bluff checks versus non-Elcor.
    No hands: Although Elcor DO have hands, they walk on them, using their arms as a second set of legs. Elcor are considered quadrapedal (for purposes to include carrying capacity), and may not use hand-held weapons.
    Living Tank: Elcor are extremely effective warriors, although the majority of their wars are fought using VI, Elcor are capable of fighting, themselves, and when they do, the effect is often devastating. Elcor recieve +2 Natural Armor and DR 3/-.
    Elcor Weaponry: Elcor carry heavy weapons on the battlefield, mounting them on their backs. And Elcor may carry up to one Huge weapon, with two large weapons constituting a huge and two mediums constituting a large.

Geth
    Spoiler
    Show

Geth
    Medium Construct (Geth)
    +2 Str, -2 Int
    Base Land Speed 30
    Construct Traits

Overclock: Geth have a limited hivemind functionality, which allows multiple Geth in an area to share processor tasks, making groups of Geth far more efficient than individual Geth alone could ever be. Any Geth within 60ft of each other recieve a bonus to intelligence based skill checks, reflex saves and attack bonus based on the number of Geth in proximity.
    {table]Geth in area (60ft)|INT Skill Bonus|Reflex Save Bonus|Attack Bonus
    <5|0|0|0
    5-9|+1|0|0
    10-14|+2|+1|0
    15-19|+3|+2|+1
    20-24|+4|+3|+2[/table]
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2008-03-04 at 08:15 PM.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently on hiatus for college purposes.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Ongoing

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Mass Effect, the D20 project

Hmmm. Tough stuff.

Krogan - bonus to Con, maybe Str, penalties to mental stats Int/Cha? Natural armor?
    Asari - bonus to Wis, natural "biotic" (psionic) ability
    Turian - bonus to Int? free proficiency with personal firearms? Nifty party buff to reflect tactical focus?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just gunna jot down my thoughts on races

Salarians- + to Intelligence and a -to maybe strength, defintely a + on craft bonuses do to technological aptitiude

Elcor- should have a +to strength and a strong minus to charisma, some kind of bonus to defense for thier thick hides, also need a low land speed

Geth-construct traits, +to strength, maybe no charisma score? or a very VERY low one.
    Newest Avvy by Bisected8

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

-points you all in the dirrection of Shadowrun- It's practically Mass Effect..but with bigger guns
    Leader of The DragonForce Army!

Join today for a Power Metal blast!

- On wings of glory we will carry on!! And in the darkness, shining far beyond the starlight!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Uh... what? Now, I haven't played Shadowrun myself, but isn't it a dystopic cyberpunk one-planet setting where magic has come back and everything is run by huge corporations? How is that similar to Mass Effect, which is neither utopic nor dystopic, lacks magic (unless you're counting the psi-like "biotics"), spans a galaxy, and is run by a Council of oligarchs selected from the most prominent races?

Also, Shadowrun =/= d20 system.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Aye, it is. I've played Shadowrun, and the feel is completely different. Yes, the guns are bigger. But it doesn't have Turians. This is a problem.

*continues trying to make Turians work*

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Turians should have personal fire-arm prof., resistance to radiation (Stated in their information), lawful tendencies, and some bonuses to intimidate.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

It works better with a modified SWSE version. Or maye I just like the SAGA system alot more than d20 future.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Turian (Medium Humanoid, Extraterrestrial)
    +2 Con, +2 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Wis

Racial Attributes:
    Base Land Speed 40 ft.
    Radiation Resitance 5.
    Heat Resitance 5.
    +2 Racial Bonus on Intimidate, Diplomacy, and Gather Information.
    Weapon Framiliarity (Assault Rifles).
    +2 to all ranged attack rolls.
    Low-Light Vision
    -2 Fort saves vs. Cold effects.
    Favored Classes: Agent, Soldier

Just a quick set of Ideas... I'm not good at homebrewing races.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

What's with the Extraterrestrial subtype? I don't think the aliens in mass effect are at all similar enough to justify lumping them all into a single subtype like that.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. They don't need subtypes, really. They're humanoid, except for the Hanar, and just knowing that they aren't HUMAN, plus a description, is good enough.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings and humans have a subtype, you know.
    Yeah, I guess we COULD call them just Humaniod (Turrian), using that logic, too.
    Hanar ar fun, I like Hanar.
    I like Turains more, though (And absolutely HATE Aasarii. All of 'im)
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thanatos5150 View Post
    Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings and humans have a subtype, you know.
    Yeah, I guess we COULD call them just Humaniod (Turrian), using that logic, too.
    Hanar ar fun, I like Hanar.
    I like Turains more, though (And absolutely HATE Aasarii. All of 'im)
    Please take the time and effort to spell properly. It demonstrates respect for your fellow posters. And why do you hate the asari?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    Please take the time and effort to spell properly. It demonstrates respect for your fellow posters. And why do you hate the asari?
    RE: Typos: [Spoiler'd for self-righteous rant content]
    Spoiler
    Show
    I apologise for the typos. I typo often. It happens, I'm human. Oops. I count two, possibly three, depending on how Aasarii is really spelled (I maintain it has two "a"s). Perhaps in not so much a lack of respect for fellow posters, but more of a lack of careing enough to spell properly. Or, you know, I could just be a realyl bad speller, or I can even (gasp), miss things as I scan my post quickly before I hit the submit button.

RE: Why I hate Aasarii:
    Thy're basically, all-female elves. Fluff treats them like a super-race, and the "all-female" bit seem to be nothing other than sex appeal, especially when it is dictated many times how - fluid - Aasarii are in the sexual morals, and their desire to mate with members of other speacies in order to diversfy their gene pool.
    I have a special hatred for super-races. Admitidly, though, part of their "Super-Race" appeal is based on how allegadely awesome biotics are, when they are, in fact, useless (I've gotten through the game without them, and barely use them as my Adept). They're boring, although that may be mostly due to their culture not being explored much (which pretty much sums up my problem with the Saalarians, too).
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

RE: Typos: [Spoiler'd for self-righteous rant content]
    Spoiler
    Show
    I apologise for the typos. I typo often. It happens, I'm human. Oops. I count two, possibly three, depending on how Aasarii is really spelled (I maintain it has two "a"s). Perhaps in not so much a lack of respect for fellow posters, but more of a lack of careing enough to spell properly. Or, you know, I could just be a realyl bad speller, or I can even (gasp), miss things as I scan my post quickly before I hit the submit button.
    I can understand making typos, but with a little attention, they can be spotted and fixed. Also, asari is spelled asari, as can be clearly seen by a cursory glance at the relevant in-game Codex entries.

RE: Why I hate Aasarii:
    Thy're basically, all-female elves. Fluff treats them like a super-race, and the "all-female" bit seem to be nothing other than sex appeal, especially when it is dictated many times how - fluid - Aasarii are in the sexual morals, and their desire to mate with members of other speacies in order to diversfy their gene pool.
    I have a special hatred for super-races. Admitidly, though, part of their "Super-Race" appeal is based on how allegadely awesome biotics are, when they are, in fact, useless (I've gotten through the game without them, and barely use them as my Adept). They're boring, although that may be mostly due to their culture not being explored much (which pretty much sums up my problem with the Saalarians, too).
    Okay, I can see that. (and it's "salarian" ).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

The Asari reminded me of the Drow. Especially Benezia in that matriarch get-up.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. I'd probably write up some rules for biotics to make them, you know, not suck. I'm still trying to get Turians done. Probably not until Tuesday though, because I don't have a lot of free time between now and then.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, here are the Turians. Let me know what you think!

Turian
    Medium humanoid (Turian)
    +2 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha
    Base Land Speed 30
    Radiation Resistance 5

Plus, Turians can't eat 'human' food. It's incompatible with their biology. Not that it would be hard for them to find or anything, except if they happen to be visiting entirely human worlds or something.

I'll stick fluff up here later, because I have yet to copy it from somewhere. Oh, and for the record, I'd put Mass Effect at somewhere between PL 6 and 7.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2008-02-21 at 01:14 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Ok, here are the Turians. Let me know what you think!

Turian
    Medium humanoid (Turian)
    +2 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Cha
    Huh? Since when are Turians stupid? My understanding is that the Turians were very cunning, and thought out long-reaching plans. I think -2 Wis/cha makes much more sense.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Not Stupid, per say, but they seemed to me to be very impulsive. Perhaps Wisdom would better reflect that though... I'll change it.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Some fluff help:

Turian
    Medium humanoid (Turian)
    +2 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha

Turians are quite quick, but many times fail to percieve all of the consequences of their actions. Their society was intensely based on a hierarchy for so long that the Turians have lost some of their ability to comprehend what or how other species think.

Base Land Speed 30
    Radiation Resistance 5

Turian physiology grants them a decent protection against the ravages of radiation.

Turians are brought up to have a proficient understanding of a variety of firearms.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

For Biotic abilities, I personally would transplant the 3.5 psionics system and most of the telekinesis powers, as well as possibly a few of the telepathic ones - I don't think it's ever made clear if the asari mind-meld thingy is biotic, or just an non-biotic inborn ability.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    For Biotic abilities, I personally would transplant the 3.5 psionics system and most of the telekinesis powers, as well as possibly a few of the telepathic ones - I don't think it's ever made clear if the asari mind-meld thingy is biotic, or just an non-biotic inborn ability.
    Isn't the mind-meld their method of reproduction? Or, at least, an intense mind-meld is how they reproduce?

Everyone seems alright for the Turian -2 vs. Cold - my only justification is Garrus's comment on one of the mission worlds that "Turains don't like the cold, Shepard, did I ever mention that?"
    Is there a codex entry to back that up?
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Considering that's how their race mates, I'd put it as non-biotic. Biotics is all about mass effect fields, and the manipulation of gravity. Not so much about mind melding. I'm afraid I don't know much about psionics, but I'll have a look and see how it works. Also, the Krogan are up next.

As for the Turian cold thing, they evolved on a planet with a weak magnetic field. More solar radiation was able to reach the planet, necessitating the evolution of radiation resistant life. Knowing a little about how that works, it probably made the planet hotter as well. Turians wouldn't be used to the cold, so they'd have a lower resistance to it.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2008-02-21 at 02:01 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Krogun should have a con bonus. I'm thinking +2 Con -2 Cha, maybe +4 Con -2 Dex -2 Cha. There seems to be a good bit of basis for them being tough, and also a little... uncharismatic?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, definately. Krogan are really hard to kill. They'll probably need a LA or something... Because pretty much all of their physical stats need to be boosted.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Doesn't the hump on their back consit nutrients, much like a camels? That would probably get them some sort of bonus to Fort Saves, or reflect on how long they can go without food.
    The Genophage would have to be included, of course.

Perhaps the Krogan should take a ding to their mental stats, based on the Krogan seen in-game, and Wrex's comments on their society.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you guys want an alternative psionics system for biotics, I could post the one I've been working on. The whole thing is fueled off of psychic focuses (you're not just limited to one, though each successive one is a harder Concentration check), and does things like give different effects depending on the number of focuses spent. I find it works far better with limited numbers of psionic abilities than the standard point systems do.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

That would be cool. As I said I don't know much about psionics. And considering that the only limit on biotic powers is recharge time, I would think that having poweres that took longer to get them to work for more powerful effects would be good. Maybe make a concentration check for the focus as a.. swift action, to use D&D terms?

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

We have Krogans!

Krogan
    Medium Humanoid (Krogan)
    +4 Con, +2 Str, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -4 Cha
    Base Land Speed 30
    +2 to fortitude saves

All Krogan are infected with the Genophage, which means that only one in every thousand births is even viable. This combined with the warlike nature of Krogan means that they are a slowly dying race. Krogan aren't suited to the mindset of scientist, so almost no progress is made on finding a cure either.

Not sure if there should be anything more on there in the way of mechanics, or if what is there is too much. Krogan are supposed to be really tough... Thoughts?

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games: