New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Codename: Swampgas, Like Frostburn, but with Swamps

Glugg: The City in the Swamp

The Murk is, of course, a rather inhospitable place, and in many cases adventurers lost in the swampy morass of the environment seem to be hundreds of leagues from the nearest outpost of civilization. In most cases, they would be right. However, in some places humans and other races have managed to eke out a living in the Murk and in the rarest of these cases have actually carved out a bit of land for themselves. Glugg is one of those places. Whether through their own intentions or by the machinations of monsters, nature, or hazards of other sorts, many adventurers to the Murk often come across Glugg and use it as a place to regroup, resupply, and re-plan their adventures into the swamps.

The history of Glugg is somewhat hazy. The name supposedly comes from what an early human explorer thought the area was called, based on his mishearing of a local Frogfolk chieftain’s description of the place. Regardless, the area, with its less dense tree cover and broad, easily accessible river, was a haven for many groups, indigenous or not. Frogfolk often made their home in the area, but not near the water itself. Lizardfolk of various tribes also made their home in the area around Glugg as their martial bent was more suited to tackling problems that might arise from the river. Humans, Elves (both Swamp Elves and traveling Elves of other sorts), and Mangrove Dwarves, in later years, made the settlement a more permanent location, and to this day the location is mostly inhabited by Humans and a smattering of other Murk races.

The western edge of Glugg is the only portion of the city with a physical, man-made boundary. Due to the preponderance of attacks from that direction, the villagers erected a wooden palisade along a roughly semicircular border west of the city. The river, which flows east through the city before turning southeast on the far side, also features a man-made impediment – a row of wooden stakes anchored into the bed every foot or so and extending to about five feet below the surface prevent large creatures from entering underwater and undetected. The area inside the city walls near the palisade includes many homes of poorer citizens (especially the few Lizardfolk in the town) and the areas for the drying of fish and preparing of various other items made of swamp goods. Along the palisade to the northwest, and hidden by its own wall and line of trees, is a temple to Toloth, the Twilight God, situated so that the sun never shines directly onto the actual temple or those going about their business on its grounds.

The central area of Glugg is dominated by the twin great trees that appear to have stood since the area was dry woodland. Into each was built a major building – the town hall on the south side of the river, where the town council meets weekly and where citizens gather during emergencies, and the temple of Maas, a mostly untouched tree where Druids, civilized or not, gather for various rituals to the Lord of Unnoticed Events. Also in the central portions of the town are several large canals, dug by various townsfolk, which provide transportation for citizens and water for the temple of Maas. Also, at the end of one canal, in a smaller (but still gigantic) tree, the Newt and Possum tavern and inn serves travelers of all sort and provides a spot for outsiders and locals alike to meet for a pint.

The eastern portion of the city, like the extreme north and south reaches of the town, is bordered by thick forest and dangerous swamp. The main road to Glugg ends across the river to the southeast, and the only way into town from that direction is by ferry. The eastern edge of the city is also home to a decrepit, if not humble, home, rumored to be the residence of a Voodoo queen of some power. Locals don’t often venture that way, and many outsiders have never made to town if they first stopped to have a “look around” at the place.

Introducing Glugg into Your Campaign
    Introducing Glugg to your campaign is rather easy. The city itself and other like it are rare, but in most cases adventurers have some chance to end up there if adventuring in the Murk. If your players become lost, they could end up in Glugg on accident, or could end up there as they’re driven by marauding beasts or other savage threats. If the players are elsewhere, perhaps they hear of a great treasure near a city in the swamp, or a patron of the adventurers (especially if there is a Druid in the party) may need the party to go there for trade or other mundane purposes.

Glugg at a Glance
    -TAB-Glugg (Village): Conventional; AL NG; 400 gp limit; assets 9000 gp; population 450; integrated (65% human, 15% swamp orc/half-orc, 10% frogfolk, 5% lizardfolk, 5% other (bog gnome, mangrove dwarf, elf, half-elf, halfling, etc.).
    -TAB-Authority Figures: Willem Carrough, town speaker and former adventurer (NG Male Human Marshal 2/Fighter 4/Aristocrat 4).
    -TAB-Other Notable Figures: Ss’ravek Isskarnis, infiltrator and de facto leader of the Lizardfolk in Glugg (N Male Fogbank Lizardfolk Barbarian 1/Ranger 4/Swampscale Paragon 5); Maria De Leveaux, folk magic expert and voodoo queen (NE Female Human Sorcerer 6/Voodoo Practitioner 3); Krosh, high priest of Maas (N Male Swamp Half-Orc Druid 8); Ribinna, tavern performer and merchant (CG Female Frogfolk Wilderness Rogue 4/Savage Bard 2).

Map of Glugg
    Spoiler
    Show

Locations in Glugg
    A – Temple of Toloth: Perpetually in shade from the surrounding palisades and trees, the temple to the god of twilight houses two priests and a handful of acolytes.

B – Boat Shed and Supplies: Most residents of the workers’ district own at least one small boat, and most of these are stored in the boat shed. The owner, Matthias Johannsen (Human Expert 4), is an able riverman and sells various supplies. Occasionally he also builds small rafts, canoes, and collapsible boats and offers them up for sale to travelers.

C – Workers’ District: This area of town is home to most of the Lizardfolk and Frogfolk in Glugg, as well as many of the humans. Most of the residents of this district support themselves by fishing, either from boats or from the shore, and by gathering herbs and other plants from edges of the swamp.

D – The Town Hall Tree: Carved into the trunk of a great tree standing since before the area was even covered in swamp, the most defensible and impressive structure in Glugg is the town hall. The tree also contains the homes of several members of the council, though the Speaker lives in a large house behind the tree.

E – The Temple of Maas: Carved into the trunk of the other giant tree in Glugg, the Temple of Mass is less of a building and more of a tree with some buildings attached. Home to Krosh, the Swamp Half-Orc high priest of Maas, plus a handful of other clerics, druids, and other acolytes, the Temple is a center for healing and meditation.

F – Druid Grove: Many Druids who choose to worship deities other than Maas often gather in the well-maintained grove of trees just to the east of the Lord of Unnoticed Event’s temple. Rangers, Druids, and less-destructive Barbarians are often welcome to stay in the grove, as many Druid’s realize that not all are comfortable staying inside man-made dwellings while visiting civilization.

G – Merchant and Artisan District: Home to most of the gnomes and dwarves in Glugg, as well as many of the well-to-do humans, this district produces both art objects as well as weapons and other items necessary for travel in the Murk and elsewhere.

H – The Newt and Possum: The only true inn and tavern in Glugg, the Newt and Possum provides outsiders with a taste of city life… almost. Adventurers can enter the Newt and Possum at nearly any hour and find food and drink, good conversation with the locals, and probably some form of entertainment (be it a traveling minstrel, an impromptu game of some sort, or a good, old-fashioned bar brawl).

I – The Mill: With the lack of grain in the Murk, many staple crops have to be imported into Glugg. The mill, rarely used but watched over by the careful eyes of Gresk, an old Half-Orc, sits across from the new dike at what has become the narrowest portion of the river as it flows through the village.

J – Temple of Kodes: A giant, always-burning bonfire greets visitors who approach Glugg’s Temple of Kodes, the goddess of purification, order, and, in Glugg, civilization. A stone structure, the interior of the temple is full of red tapestries and gold leaf, with recurring themes of order versus savagery. The temple is home to Githa Alodia (female Human Cleric 6), and also serves as the training area for the “militia” of Glugg – the several dozen men of various races who train once a month or so in basic weapons drills and who respond to minor emergencies in the town.

K – Home of Marie de Laveaux: Threatened by the constant flow of the river, this decrepit home stands dangerously close to the water. Seemingly empty, the building is actually home to the voodoo queen Marie de Laveaux. Outsiders often avoid the house and its mysterious aura, but locals often visit Marie under dark of night for advice or perhaps for folk magic talismans. Marie seldom leaves (or so it appears), but she can sometimes be seen stalking towards the home of Willem Carrough, town speaker, probably to speak about the future condition of her home.

L – Ferry: The only way into the town of Glugg from the east, the ferry runs throughout the day, but only when necessary. Two boats cross the river, with one remaining at each side, though at dusk both are brought to the city side of river.

M – Ribinna’s Trade House: One of the most successful citizens in Glugg, Ribanna, a young Frogfolk female, has a veritable fleet of small boats constantly coming and going and trading supplies up and down river, with other swamp locations and those in the world at large.

N – New Dike: Several years ago, the flooding of the land south of the Newt and Possum because of the bend in the river become enough of a problem that the town council of the time decided to build a dike to stop the erosion and flooding of the area. Accidentally built as a convex curve, the dike has now caused a new problem – the water flowing around dike now flows directly towards the home of Marie de Laveaux. No major flooding has occurred yet, but as both Marie and the current council have recognized, it is only a matter of time before such an event occurs.

EDIT (6 July): Updated various things and added some stuff. It's pretty much done, but if anyone can think of anything else it needs, PM me or something.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-07-06 at 11:25 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Wow, that's all I can say, wow. Kudos to you my fine feathered friend.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Orc in the Playground

Wow. Glugg is awesome. If I can figure out how to sink that into my campaign, I will.
    The following statement is true.

The previous statement is false.

If you are a Sprint customer, please let me know if I can ever help you with your service. If you are not yet a Sprint customer, I would like to help you become one. Send me a PM!

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

[CPR]Codename: Swampgas[/CPR]
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-06-08 at 02:26 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Orc in the Playground

We do need to step up the pace on this, before it completely stalls. I've gone through and set up a re-cap of what work we have left to do just so we can get a solid picture.

We still need that name thing. I went through and counted the current votes, and this is where we're at:

Murk: 3
    Bog: 3

We need a tie-breaker so we can just be done with it.

Chapter 1:

We need a few more Natural Hazards, several more Supernatural Hazards, and a heck of a lot of traps.

Chapter 2:

We need a few more feats.

Chapter 3:

Done.

Chapter 4:

We need a few more vehicles.

Chapter 5:

We need a boatload more spells, one or two psionic powers, and a couple epic spells. A few magic armor/weapon abilities, and twice the magic items.

Chapter Six:

Done.

Chapter Seven:

Glugg needs to be finished, but that's it.

Artwork:

So very, very much.

(note: this is based off of the header of page 5, which I believe is somewhat out of date. I tried to include new stuff that doesn't appear there, but I probably missed a couple things.)
    Not a lot more, really. We need a metric ton of spells and a lot of traps, but other than that it's mostly polish work.

Oh and a crapload of pictures, which I should really work on...

If you are a Sprint customer, please let me know if I can ever help you with your service. If you are not yet a Sprint customer, I would like to help you become one. Send me a PM!

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I'm gonna make a list of what I'm doing...
    -I'm going to finish the Machete Golem and the Sloth Pit for the monsters.
    -I'm going to see If I can make a better looking map for Glugg.
    -Maybe make a vehicle.
    -Add a trap or two.
    -Maybe make an adventure site.
    -Then I might make some artwork, I already have an idea for one with a swamp giant.
    I can probably work on the monsters this weekend, then work on the rest.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

7. - Top - End - #397
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hey all, I've always wanted to help on a project like this and traps are somewhat of a specialty of mine so it you want some help I'd be more than willing. Besides, swamps are one of my favorite environments.

Just off the top of my head....

Crushing Vine Trap

Mechanical; Location Trigger; Manual Reset.

Description: When a wire is tripped a heavy counter weight is dropped pulling taunt a number of vines. These vines pin the target against a nearby tree and crush them should they be unable to escape.

Reflex DC13 Negates

On a failed save the target is considered pinned and will begin taking crushing damage each round it remains trapped. Each round the target takes 1d6+1 damage from the crushing force of the vines. A DC 14 strength check will prevent damage for that round while a DC 18 Strength check or Escape artist check will free the target. Alternatively, someone may make a full round action with a slashing weapon to free the target or to make the Strength check for them.

Search DC 18, Disable device DC 14.

I've no idea for the CR and I will revise it when I'm not rushing out the door.

Cheers

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm looking up the cr right now...

If you increase the Disable device and the Reflex saves to at least 16, It should be CR 1, Or you could add a poison
    Last edited by Szilard; 2008-06-09 at 08:37 PM.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

That gave me an idea. Has any book ever had a trap that just has a trigger on the ground that, when tripped, closes a big net over the characters in the area and pulls them up into the trees? You know, like the kind you see in cartoons and stuff all the time? Someone else can homebrew it, though, if it hasn't been done, because I don't know anything about traps.

I'm gonna do some more on Glugg at some point (when I get a little more done on my 4e RHoD conversion), and I'm still trying to come up with spells.

Also, does anyone know if nutria or something like them have been statted up somewhere? I'd like to make a Dire version, after being inspired by an episode of "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern" where some crazy Cajun guy chased one in a boat, hit it on the head with a stick, skinned it in the boat, and then cooked it.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Well, if I haven't voted already, I suggest "murkmire" for the name. I think I've got a few more spells, and maybe a power or two but I've got finals this week. Perhaps we should recruit some more slaves, I mean contributors....
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I retallied the votes (only the ones marked as I asked so I could see them) and I got 3 for murk and 2 for bog.

I've still got those 2 spells I will get around to writing eventually...

12. - Top - End - #402
    Orc in the Playground

There was a vote for Bog that was not properly marked.

Just to get the ball rolling, I'd be perfectly willing to say that vote doesn't count, go with Murk, and be done with the whole acursed affair.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Barbarian in the Playground

Why did I left this project? It's so awesome.

Ok, I'll start to give my contributions again. I don't like to leave the Fungal Tome unfinished, but I really need some help with the spells. Who can give me an hand?

rtg, Glugg is AMAZING. Great work.

I have another suggestion, too. Maybe it's too soon because we don't have enough material, but how about to start playing in the board using the stuff we have so far? Yeah, a play-by-post Swampgas campaing. We could playtest the stuff we had already done and figure out what needs to be added to the game.

What do you think about this?

Characters played:
    Koros (Nation of the Dead) < - adopt this psicopatic as your avatar!!!
    Bones (Beginner's Dungeon Crawl)

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

I warned you. Now you have to go read it.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Sounds like a good idea, I'd be more than willing to join in. Speaking of which, I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one, fell free to hate it. I'm also going to do a psionic version once I get the book back from my friend.

Mud Mail (subject to change)
    Transmutation
    Level:Drd 2, Rgr 2
    Component:V, S, DF, M
    Casting time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Duration: 10 min./level
    Saving Throw: None
    SR: Yes (harmless)

This spell draws surrounding mud up to cover the target in a protective shell, functioning as Barkskin except that the natural armor bonus is always one higher. Also, the target's armor is treated as one step heavier. If the target is already wearing heavy armor then their speed is reduced by an additional five feet.
    Material Component: Mud

My meager homebrew

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

I'm in to play depending on the specifics. I can post as much as necessary now, but that could change depending on if anyone ever gives me a job. Don't know what I'd be playing - probably a Frogfolk so I could test it out, maybe a Rogue (Wilderness Rogue?) or something like that. By the way, here's a quick spell. I based it on sleep, but it seems a bit weaker (since the creatures affected aren't helpless), but it affects more HD worth of creatures and doesn't allow SR.

Swamp Fumes
    Conjuration (Creation)
    Level: Drd 1, Rng 1, Sor/Wiz 1
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: One round
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Area: All creatures in a 10-ft. radius burst
    Duration: 1 round/level (or 1 minutes/level)
    Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
    Spell Resistance: No

This spells creates swamps fumes that emanate from the ground below the target area. Fumes continue to spew from the ground for one round per caster level, or one minute per level if cast in a marshy or swampy area. Creatures in the area when the spell is cast or who pass through the area as the fumes emanate in it must make a Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round per level. Creatures who succeed on the save are instead sickened for that amount of time.

Material Component: A pinch of dried swamp mud or dried skin of a ghoul.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

So here's the psionic version of Mud Mail and another power/spell that I love the idea of but doesn't seem to have translated well to crunch form, input appreciated.

Mud Mail, Psionic
    Metacreativity or Psychometabolism(I'm not sure which)
    Level: Egoist or Shaper 2
    Display: Visual and Matierial
    Manifesting time: 1 standard action
    Range:Touch
    Target: Creature touched
    Power Points: 3

This power functions as Mud Mail except as noted above.
    Augment: For every 3 additional power points you spend, the natural armor bonus improves by one.

(Cookie if you know where the inspiration for this is from)
    Tar Baby
    Metacreativity (Conjuration?)
    Level: Shaper 6, Bard 5
    Display: Visual, Matierial and Olfactory
    Manifesting/Casitng Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
    Duration: 1 round/level?
    Saving Throw: See text
    Power/Spell Resistance: No
    Power Points: 7

By manifesting this power you create a duplicate of yourself from surrounding mud, peat and other such substances, called a "Tar Baby". The tar baby appears to be you and has mundane versions of all your equipment although a DC 20 spot check notices that something is "off". The tar baby is treated as an animated object with your size and mobility an 1/2 your max hp. It can attack any target you indicate with any weapons it posesses or simply stand still. Redirecting it is a standard action. The tar baby has DR 10/- and an attack bonus of your manifester or caster level plus your spellcasting ability modifier.(Intelligence for psions, charisma for bards.) In addition, whenever a creature strikes the tar baby in melee, they must make a reflex save to avoid their weapon becoming stuck in the tar baby. Stuck weapons can only be freed by ending the effect. If a creature using a natural weapon is trapped in such a matter, the creature is treated as grappled while the tar baby suffers no penalties. The tar baby's grapple bonus is equal to your manifester or caster level plus your spellcasting ability modifier plus any relevant size modifiers.
    Augment: For every additional power point you spend, the tar baby either gains 5 extra hp or a +1 on grapple checks. For every additional 10hp or +2 to grapple, the tar baby's DR and the reflex save DC increase by one.

The second will need a massive re-write I'm sure there's the rough draft.
    Last edited by SilentNight; 2008-06-22 at 09:31 AM.

My meager homebrew

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

I wants my cookie! It's from either the old Anansi stories (which I read a year or two ago), or from a Br'er Rabbit story (which I read as a wee child)!

Anyway, here's a feat I came up with based on both some 4E stuff and the Ranger's Woodland Stride. Seems fine, but I don't know if it's balanced, overpowered, or underpowered.

Murkwalk [General]
    The lizardman seemed to skim across the surface of the swampy ground, undergrowth, rubble, and other hazards doing nothing to slow him.
    Prerequisites: Swamp Traveler, Survival 5 ranks
    Benefit: While in a Murk environment, you may ignore penalties to movement associated with difficult terrain and other terrain features that result from natural causes. You also gain a +4 bonus on balance checks while in Murky Ground.
    Normal: You take penalties to movement when in an area of difficult terrain, and Murky Ground affects you as normal.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Congrats you get a dubious, sticky cookie. Any nitpicks for mechanics? I like the feat, short, simple and sweet.

My meager homebrew

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Tar Baby looks really powerful...half your HP, DR 10/- and an attack bonus higher than a full BAB class of your level? I suppose it doesn't have a plus to damage and hits with whatever weapons you are carrying, but...still. Might want to raise the level.

I still need to put together those spells I came up with. I'm heading to Spain for two weeks, but I'll have my computer. Will bring PHB and try to write up a few more spells, as well as come up with ideas for more.

With regard to a pbp Swampgas campaign...sure, sounds good. I'd be happy to DM, if you want. I'll see what I can come up with. Actually, requiring the use of a lot of stuff from Swampgas will probably make it easier: it'll be located in Glugg, I already know what the main villain is...It'll probably be a rather cliched plot, as I don't plan to try very hard on that portion of it, being mostly playtesting. Probably evil villain with an evil plan whom you must stop. I usually avoid the Alignment Brick (Oh noes, bad guy, go stop him. What do you mean, what's in it for you?) in my pbp games, but I may end up using it here if I can't get anything better.

My under construction list:
    Nauseating Visage
    Sickening Gaze
    come up with spell ideas.
    work on campaign details.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-06-22 at 01:29 AM.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Hmmmm, your right, crap. 6th level then. I think it's still cool as a bard 5 though. As far as the campaign I'm actually looking forward to it, cliched plot be damned. I'm thinking a fogbank lizardfolk commandoish type person, utilizing the water hold feat and reaping mauler prc. Hell, maybe even the mist ninja variant from Dragon.

My meager homebrew

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Third page? Cmon guys, keep moving.

Of course, I can't say much, considering. I'll try to get those spells written up and come up with what I can. I haven't made any progress on the adventure because I've been thinking about the other one I'm working on. I'll see what I can do, I'll have a lot of time in travel in which to try to figure these out.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    Third page? Cmon guys, keep moving.
    what? Do you mean the publishing thing. If so I'm all for it. I think I've got one more spell that I'll do once I'm back for good.

My meager homebrew

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

I have to remind myself to finish those monsters...

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, here's a new monster, based on this. I'll go back through and try to finish Glugg tonight, update the big list o' critters, and make sure the environment is labeled as "the Murk" (that's what we decided on, right?). I can't think of any ideas for more spells or feats, but if anyone has any ideas for them but doesn't feel up to doing the actual homebrewing, tell me here or PM me and I'll try to get on it.

Dire Nutria

Spoiler
    Show

Large Animal
    Hit Dice: 6d8+24 (51 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30 feet (6 squares); swim 40 ft.
    Armor Class: 18 (+3 Dex, +5 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+11
    Attack: Bite +7 (2d6+4)
    Full Attack: Bite +7 (2d6+4)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Augmented critical, hold breath, low-light vision, scent
    Saves: Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 17, Dex 16 Con 19, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Skills: Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +16
    Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude(B), Improved Breath Capacity, Improved Natural Attack (Bite)
    Environment: Any marsh
    Organization: Solitary or pair
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 7-12 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment:

The creature before you is a gigantic rodent. Drops of water bead on its matted fur and rolls down its flanks. As it glances in your direction, it opens its maw, revealing arm-sized orange incisors that look like they could cut a man in half.

The dire nutria (or dire coypu) is a larger, more aggressive version of the nutria, a semi-aquatic rodent often found in marshes of any type. Its bright orange incisors are exceptionally large and sharp for its size and though it is usually more docile than other animals (even dire animals), a dire nutria will not hesitate to bite at any enemies that pester it. Many hunters and trappers seek out these creatures for their fur which, though dangerous to collect, is of high quality and fetches a rather high price. A typical dire nutria is 8 to 10 feet long and weighs around 800 pounds.

These statistics can be used for the dire version of any other sort of large, semi-aquatic rodent, such as muskrats.

Combat

When drawn into combat, a dire nutria bites at its opponent with its sharp teeth. If near water it attempts to enter the water to maximize its mobility and perhaps provide for a better chance at escape.

Augmented Critical (Ex): A dire nutria chews on fallen trunks and other hard materials to keep its teeth extremely sharp. A dire nutria’s bite attack threatens a critical hit on an 18-20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. It also adds one-and-a-half times its Strength modifier to damage with its bite attack.

Hold Breath (Ex): A dire nutria can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 8 x its Constitution score before it risks drowning. This already includes the benefit of the Improved Breath Capacity feat.

Skills
    A dire nutria has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Dire Nutria as Animal Companions
    A Druid or Ranger may select a dire nutria as his animal companion, though he takes a -6 penalty to his effective Druid level when determining when he can access the nutria companion and what abilities it has.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-07-07 at 06:34 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

Hag Heritage Feats

Annis Lineage [Heritage]
    Your hag ancestor was an annis, a larger, more vicious hag than a standard green hag.
    Prerequisite: Non-lawful alignment, Hag Heritage
    Benefit: You gain two claw attacks, which are primary natural attacks. The claws deal 1d6 damage if you are Medium, or 1d4 if you are small, and if you hit an opponent with both in one round you rend and tear them for extra damage equal to 2d6 plus your Strength modifier.
    Special: You can either take the Green Hag Lineage feat or the Annis Lineage feat, not both.

Green Hag Lineage [Heritage]
    Your ancestor was a green hag, a deadly queen of the deepest swamps.
    Prerequisite: Non-lawful alignment, Hag Heritage
    Benefit: You can use dancing lights and ghost sound as at-will spell-like abilities with a caster level equal to your character level. You also gain a Swim speed equal to your base land speed and all the benefits that follow from that (a +8 racial bonus to Swim checks to avoid hazards, the ability to take 10 on Swim checks even while rushed or threatened, and the ability to use the Charge or Run actions while swimming in a straight line).
    Special: You can either take the Green Hag Lineage feat or the Annis Lineage feat, not both.

Hag Body [Heritage]
    As you increase in power, your ancestor’s innate resistance to magic becomes your own.
    Prerequisite: Non-lawful alignment, Hag Heritage, character level 12th
    Benefit: You gain Spell Resistance equal to 15 + 3 per each feat you have that lists Hag Heritage as a prerequisite. For example, if you have Hag Body and Hag Legacy, you have SR 21. If you later gain the Hag Mimicry feat, your SR would improve to 24.

Hag Heritage [Heritage]
    You are descended from Hags and this gives you some insight against the illusory tactics utilized by your ancestor.
    Prerequisite: Non-lawful alignment
    Benefit: You gain darkvision to a range of 60 feet and a +2 bonus to Will saves against Illusions.

Hag Legacy [Heritage]
    Because of your heritage, your arcane abilities have expanded to include the spell-like abilities of your ancestor.
    Prerequisites: Non-lawful alignment, Hag Heritage, Sorcerer level 1st
    Benefit: You may add disguise self, invisibility, and water breathing to your Sorcerer list of spells known. You may not cast the spells unless you could normally cast Sorcerer spells of that level.

Hag Swamp-Cunning [Heritage]
    Using the tactics of your monstrous ancestor, you can mimic the sound of many animals native to the Murk.
    Prerequisite: Non-lawful alignment, Green Hag Lineage, Hag Heritage; Knowledge (Nature) or Survival 4 ranks
    Benefit: You can mimic the sounds of animals, as the green hag ability. You also gain a +2 bonus to Hide and Survival checks.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-07-07 at 06:35 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... I probably should have done something in the last 8 or so days while the forum was down.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Banned

Here's something I made in the downtime that y'all might have of interest...

-=-=-=-=-

Lamentisk

Huge Fey (aquatic)
    Hit Dice: 12d6+36 (78 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 40 ft., swim 40 ft.
    Armor Class: 21 (+3 dex, +9 natural, -1 size), touch 12, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+18
    Attack: Claw +14 melee (1d8+8)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +14 melee (1d8+8) plus slam +9 melee (2d6+4)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./30 ft.
    Special Attacks: Constrict, cursed melody, improved grab, rake, rend, spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: Amphibious, aquatic subtype, heed not the candles, low-light vision, murksight, 'possum
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +11, Will +10
    Abilities: Str 26, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 17
    Skills: Bluff +18, Hide +10, Listen +17, Move Silently +18, Perform (strings) +21, Spot +17, Swim +16
    Feats: Diehard, Endurance, Improved Grapple, Improved Toughness, Skill Focus (perform: strings)
    Environment: Temperate or Warm Marsh
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Treasure: Standard (no goods)
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Advancement: 13-20 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment: +6

Lamentisks are startling creatures with lengthy bodies alike to both an eel and a vine. Twitching spines, fleshy whiskers, and short, spindly legs grow out at random from the bizarre body. A humanish torso arises from one end, with a head alike to that of a haggish elf. Great thick hair of an unpleasant grey hue spreads wildly, slim spines jutting up here and there. Long, stick thin arms, appearing more as stretched tendons than limbs, spread out from the narrow shoulders, with spidery fingers nearly a stride in length each. These fingers end in small claws and has a sharp inner edge along their length.

Lamentisks are the spirits of the dismal bog; the croak of the bullfrog, the mournful loon, the misleading lights, the rotting death. They are often to be found in the midst of desolate swamps, stretching it's whiskers out and playing them with the sharp edge of it's fingers in a horrible melody.

Lamentisks speak Sylvan and weigh over half a ton.

Combat
    A lamentisk play their songs to attract those nearby and then make sport of them, leading them to and fro until they are hopelessly lost before sending them to a watery grave. If threatened themselves they become grim bringers of death, crushing and slashing and drowning, often disappearing only to return once more.

Constrict (Ex): On a successful grapple check, a lamentisk deals 2d6+8 points of damage.

Cursed Melody (Ex): Each round a lamentisk can use's it's horrible music from it's own body to create one of the following effects. The save DC is equal to the lamentisk's perform (strings) check. A lamentisk may create this melody even while in treeshape, it's fingers appearing as branches rubbing again dangling moss.

Dischord: A lamentisk can make music so horrible the ears burst. Those within 60 feet must succeed on a Fortitude save or go permanently deaf, though can still hear the music itself. Those that make their save are immune to the cursed melody for 24 hours. Whether or not they make their save they take 1d4 points of sonic damage.

Elegy: A lamentisk may produce a song of such mournful qualities that it fills those nearby with despondency. If within 20 feet they must succeed on a Will save or try to kill themselves, usually by drowning. If for some reason they are unable to find water, they attack themselves as a full-round action. The attack automatically succeeds and deals damage as a critical hit. If unarmed, they move adjacent to the nearest enemy and provoke an attack of opportunity, offering their opponent an opening, which the opponent may or may not choose to take advantage of. Those within 60 feet are affected as if by Crushing Despair. This is a mind-affecting, compulsion effect.

Misfortune: A lamentisk can play a tune that fills one with a sense of grave foreboding. He may choose one subject within 10 feet to become affected as by the Bestow Curse spell unless they succeed on a Will save. All others within 60 feet must succeed on a save as well or take a -2 penalty to all checks for 2d4 rounds. Penalties from multiple performances do not stack.

Will'o'wisp: A lamentisk can summon forth a will'o'wisp through his playing, though it has the magical beast type and Charm Monster as an at will spell-like ability (which does not affect the lamentisk). It often uses this ability to trick others into following it to their doom. A lamentisk can only have one summoned at any given time, though it may remain indefinitely.

Heed Not the Candles (Ex): A lamentisk is immune to enchantment and is continuously affected as by the True Seeing spell.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a lamentisk must hit with it's slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict. A lamentisk can grapple two beings at once without penalty.

Murksight (Ex): A lamentisk can see to the limits of its vision even in foggy or smoky conditions, including dirty water and the areas of such spells as obscuring mist and fog cloud.

'Possum (Ex): A lamentisk can appear as if slain, luring it's opponents into a false sense of security. As an immediate action after it is hit for at least 10 points of damage by a single attack, it can attempt to play dead. It drops prone and makes a Bluff check opposed by the attacker's (or any other relevant observer's) Sense Motive check. If it succeeds on this check, the observer assumes it is dead. If it subsequently rises and attack him in the same round, he loses any attack of opportunity he might have been entitled to against the lamentisk, and he loses his Dexterity bonus to AC against the first attack that it makes. It can use this ability once per encounter. Standing up after playing dead does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +14 melee, damage 1d8+8. A lamentisk can attack a grappled foe with both claws at no penalty.

Rend (Ex): A lamentisk that hits with both claw attacks latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an extra 4d6+12 points of damage.

Spell-like Abilities: Caster level 12th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
    At Will - Curse Water, Dancing Lights, Obscuring Mist, Tree shape
    3/day - Flesh to Mud, Mud to Flesh, Solid Fog

Skills: A lamentisk has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kudos to VP, the Lamentisk rocks.
    @rtg:I think legacy feats normally grant nine extra spells, one of each level.

Well, this seems to be my last credible submission so barring some sudden flash of inspiration, I think this may be it for me for quite a while. This spell is similar to mass suggestion except that it is far less versatile. However, it is also sight, rather than language dependent, and it has no creature cap.

Ghost Light
    Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind Affecting]
    Level: Brd 5, Sor/Wiz 5
    Components:V,S,M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long (400ft. + 40ft./level)
    Effect: 1 ghost light
    Duration: 1 minute/level
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance:Yes

You create a glowing ball called a ghost light that gives illumination out to 60ft. and shadowy illumination out to 120ft. Any creature that sees the ghost light must make a will saving throw or be forced to move towards the light as fast as possible, regardless of the danger in doing so. Once they reach the light they will simply stand next to it and stare (treat as flat-footed) for the duration of the spell. Evil mages like to cast this spell over pools of acid and watch as their victims burn, still trying to reach the light.
    Matierial Component: A bit of a Will' o' wisp's body.
    Last edited by SilentNight; 2008-07-20 at 02:36 PM.

My meager homebrew

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Ghostlight looks interesting. I'd peg the levels as 5th level for Bard and same for level for Sor/Wiz. The duration should probably be 10 minutes per level of caster.

Debby

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Ghostlight looks interesting. I'd peg the levels as 5th level for Bard and same for level for Sor/Wiz. The duration should probably be 10 minutes per level of caster.

Debby
    Done and done, thanks.

My meager homebrew