New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Codename: Swampgas, Like Frostburn, but with Swamps

Hey, thanks! I haven't looked at it yet, but I've been doing the same kind of thing with making a .DOC file of everything. I was gonna do the PDF, but I don't have a PDF converter thingy on my new lappy yet.

I've had a bit of a block on swamp-based stuff lately (and have been doing more with 4E), but I'll be contributing soon by at least doing some editing of old stuff at some point.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

2. - Top - End - #452
    Pixie in the Playground

This is a very cool thread, and I second the motion above to put this in some sort of document, pdf, doc, whatever. I would be happy to help as well, if you need any help. I am looking forward to using this.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

I think I'm about out of ideas, spent the last of them trying to keep this alive a month ago. Let me know if something new crops up.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SilentNight View Post
    I think I'm about out of ideas, spent the last of them trying to keep this alive a month ago. Let me know if something new crops up.
    Yeah, I know the feeling. I've been a little 3.x'ed out anyway.

If you want to help out, I guess you could skim back through the thread and see if there are any entries that are incomplete and then either compile a post of that here or perhaps PM the people whose stuff is still unfinished.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

So how is this thing going on without me? probably good.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    So how is this thing going on without me? probably good.
    We've had a bit of a slowdown on creation, but if you look back HERE (which is PRETTY up-to-date, but not exactly) we're doing VERY well on crunch but still need fluff.

I've got a .DOC file of the whole "book" I'm putting together, so I'm adding fluff myself, but anyone else is welcome to add whatever they want. We still need sample NPCs for several PrCs, so that'd be great if anyone wants to get on that.

Once I finish the chapter I'm on (just need to add all of the feats we've done) I'll try to host the .DOC file (or maybe a PDF, since I finally got my converter working) so people can take a look at it.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe I could try to make a sample NPC for one of the PrCs. Or start working on fluff. Do you guys still want me to put up that machete golem thing?

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Yeah, machete golem sounds cool, I'd be willing to do some samples or fluff as well.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hoo...if I ever find some free time I'll look through and add fluff to stuff I've made.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Cool. Good to know there are still folks around.

HERE's the PDF of the cover, credits (know if I missed anyone?), table of contents, introduction, and ALL of Chapter 2: PC Options. Feel free to point out any typos or anything and I'll go back and fix 'em.

I'll probably start compiling the monsters next since they shouldn't be as hard, and then maybe PrCs afterwards. Chapter 1 is gonna be the hardest because we're less along there than anywhere else, but I'll eventually get to it, too.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

pdf is awesome so far.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

Bump, might add stuff to this post later.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

smile Re: Codename: Swampgas, Like Frostburn, but with Swamps

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogman View Post
    Okay, look, finally something! Seriously!

The Bogs Substitution Levels

Spoiler
    Show

Substitution levels are levels of a standard class that you take to gain certain bonuses instead of the level benefits described for the next higher level of the standard class. Taking a substitution level is not multiclassing-you remain within the class for which that substitution level is targeted. You can't take a substitution level and apply it to a another class for which the substitution level is not targeted. For instance, a fighter can't take a Bog substitution level for the rogue or monk class.
    In order to take a Bog substitution level, you must fulfill and one of the following criteria:

-Have 1 rank in Knowledge (Nature)
    -Have a Bog-related feat (Above)
    -Have visited or stayed in a Bog or Swamp-like environment for more than 2 days.

Each class has a number of Bog substitution levels, each of which you man select at a specified class level. When you take a substitution level for your class at a given level, you give up the benefits gained at that level for the standard class, and you get the Bog level benefits instead. You can't go back and gain the benefits for the level you swapped but-when you take your next level in the standard class, you gain the next higher level as it you have gained the previous level normally. For instance, if you are a 1st level rogue and you take the Bog rogue substitution level for the 2nd level, you forever lose the benefits normally provided to a standard 2nd level rogue (You gained instead the Bog substitution benefit for a 2nd level rogue). When you gain another level in rogue, you gain the 3rd level benefits of the standard rogue class.
    A character need not take all the substitution levels provided for a class. For instance, a Barbarian may decide only to take the Bog substitution level for his class at 7th level, ignoring the previous substitution level.
    The description of each substitution level benefit explains what occurs to the standard class ability gained, if that ability would normally increase at a specific rate.

Barbarian
    Spoiler
    Show

Barbarians who find themselves in the Swamp often thrive quite easily. They throughly enjoy the wild and the danger, and test their skill and might against both travelers and wildlife alike.

Hit Die: d12

Requirements:
    To take a barbarian Bog substitution level, a character must be about to take his 1st, 7th, or 14th level of the Barbarian class.

Class Skills: Barbarian substitution levels have the class skills of a standard Barbarian plus Knowledge (Nature).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4+Int Modifier

{table] Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special
    1st | +1 | +2 | +0 | +0 | Bog Movement
    7th | +7/+2 | +5 | +2 | +2 | Acid Resistance
    14th| +14/+9/+4 | +9 | +4 | +4 | Stomach of Steel [/table]

Class Features

Bog Movement: The Bog Barbarian trains himself in the deep and marshy ground, and is prepared to trek across difficult terrain more readily. The Bog Barbarian can ignore the first 20 ft. of difficult terrain while moving. Despite the name, the Bog Barbarian can ignore the first 20 ft. of any difficult terrain, not just that inside Bogs or swamps.

Acid Resistance: The Barbarian toughens his body against Acid. The Barbarian gains Acid Resistance 15. This ability replaces the DR 1/- gained by a standard barbarian at 7th level. From not on, whenever the barbarian gains a standard barbarian level that grants an improvement to his DR, h gains the indicated amount minus 1. (1/- at 10th level, 2/- at 13th level, and so on)

Stomach of Steel: The Barbarian gains a +4 bonus to all fortitude saves. This ability replaces the Indomitable Will ability normally gained by barbarians.

Bog Barbarian gives up rage and fast movement for the ability to move normally in a bog? kind of a step down dontcha thing? im pretty sure you meant to substitute fast movement for bog movement right?

also, i made a monster for this, but im not sure how to post things fancy with spoilers and such. so im just going to post it normally. i hope that is ok.

EDIT: here is the monster!

Bog Ooze
    Huge Ooze
    HP: 10d10+70 (125 hp)
    Initiative: -5
    Speed:0 feet
    Armor Class: 13 (-2 size, -5 Dex, +10 nat), touch 3, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple:+7/+18
    Attack: Slam +8 melee (2d6+4)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +8 melee (2d6+4)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: constrict 2d6+4, Improved grab, Engulf, Trip
    Special Qualities: Blindsight 20 ft., ooze traits, camoflage
    Saves: Fort +9, Ref -2, Will 0
    Abilities: : Str 17, Dex 1, Con 22, Int Ø, Wis 1, Cha 1
    Skills:-
    Feats: improved toughness, iron will
    Environment: Temperate Marshes, deserts, anywhere where quick sand is a natural hazard
    Organization: Solitary, cluster (3-5), or gathering (6-11)
    Challenge Rating:5
    Treasure: Standard, but only none digestable items
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement:11-15(Huge)
    Level Adjustment:-

As you try to maneuver your way around a common quick sand hazard you so cleverly identified...it comes to life lashing out at you trying to drag you into it!

Bog Oozes come in many shapes and sizes but always mimick a quick sand trap (as described in the DMG) common to the area. They can last for months with out food waiting for someone to fall into them or simply come near them. The ooze described above would be common to a marsh or swamp setting.

The ooze will wait for any living prey to come near it and then slam it using its trip and improved grap ability. Once grappled and pinned the ooze will try to drag the victim into it ( using the normal rules for moving in a grapple). Where they immediatly are pulled below the surface (engulfed) and start drowing once they can no longer hold their breath.

If a victim is engulfed inside a bog ooze they need to win a single grapple check (engulfed victims are not considered pinned but are considered grappled). If they do they make treat the situation as if it were a normal quick sand hazard and escape likewise ( first make a swim theck to get aove the surface, then swim to saftey). However all DC's involved are increased by a +2.

If a bog ooze dies it becomes a normal quick sand hazard.

Trip: If a bog ooze successfully slams you it may make a free trip attempt +13. This is just another way that bog oozes have learned to keep their prey from escaping since they are stationary.

Camouflage: Bog oozes are commonly mistaken for the common environmental hazard quicksand. As such a DC 10 survival check recognizes as Bog ooze to be a normal bog, a DC 20 survival check is required to recognize it as a quick sand hazard, and a DC 30 survival check to recognize it as a bog ooze.

Engulf (Ex):
    Engulfed creatures are considered to be grappled and trapped within the bog ooze's body. To get out one must win a grapple check.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability a Bog Ooze must hit a medium or smaller creature with its slam attack. It can then start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check it establishes a hold and then attempts to drag the victim toward it. Bog oozes may grapple ( and engulf) with as many victims as it wants.

Constrict (Ex):
    A Bog ooze deals automatic slam damage with a successful grapple check.
    Last edited by Cowboy_ninja; 2008-10-15 at 01:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Yay! It's alive again!. Anyway, I like the bog ooze. Very true to the flavor and it looks incedibly well made. Kudos. As to your comment on the bog barbarian, it doesn't say that bog movement replaces rage so I'm assuming the levels simply state what you gain above the normal for a barbarian. You'll notice the other two abilities note what they replace, bog movement has no such clause.

My meager homebrew

15. - Top - End - #465
    Barbarian in the Playground

I had the idea to create a unique swamp creature of legend. Sort of like the Mothra to the Tarrasque's Godzilla. I haven't flipped through the thread, so hopefully this isn't a repeat. Codenamed RBC (really big croc). Not quite finished yet, especially the names for things. Ideas on any aspects welcome.

RBC
    Size/Type: Colossal Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 35d10+630 (822 hp)
    Initiative: +13
    Speed: 20 ft (4 squares), 160 ft swim
    Armor Class: 64, touch 29, flat-footed 56 (-8 size, +9 dex, +35 natural, +18 deflection)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +35/+60
    Attack: Tail slap +36 (3d12+13, x4 plus mucky tail) or bite +36 (4d8+13, 18-20 plus disease)
    Full Attack: Tail slap +36 (3d12+13, x4 plus mucky tail) and bite +36 (4d8+4, 18-20 plus disease)
    Space/Reach: 30 ft./20 ft.
    Special Attacks: Improved grab, constrict 4d8+4, swallow whole, swampy bite, mucky claws, swamp command
    Special Qualities: Scintillating scales, damage reduction 20/epic, immunity to acid, cold, poison, disease, ability damage, ability drain, energy drain, and death effects, scent, regeneration 20, swamp guardian, aura of suffocation, plant traits
    Saves: Fort +37, Ref +28, Will +29
    Abilities: Str 28, Dex 28, Con 47, Int 15, Wis 14, Cha 15
    Skills: Swim +47, Climb +47, Spot +40, Search +40
    Feats: Steadfast Determination, Multiattack, Improved Multiattack, Improved Initiative, 8 more
    Enviroment: Swamps
    Organization: Solitary
    Challange Rating: 20
    Treasure: Beyond imagination
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 36+ HD (Colossal)
    Level Adjustment:

The RBC is a legendary monster which spends most of its time sleeping in the deepest temples in the deepest pits of the most overgrown marshes. It is said that all of these temples are connected, allowing the RBC to journey swiftly to any swamp which is being threatened, bursting forth from the swampwater like a horrible personification of the swamp's wrath. Many swamp creatures make sacrifices to the RBC, in the form of unwary travellers. They hope to stave off one of its legendary rampages which could end up destroying much of the world (see Swamp Guardian below).

The RBC requires no food or other sustenance, and only surfaces to protect the swamp, usually sleeping for centuries at a time. However, it is sometimes sought out as its hide is covered in lost treasures which have seeped down into the muck throughout the aeons, and it resides in and guards temples with even greater treasure.

Scintillating Scales (Su)

Always active. [Add Constitution bonus as deflection bonus to AC, from Spell Compendium.]

Swampy Bite (Su)

A bite from the RBC bestows a swamp disease of the RBC's choosing. The DC is Constitution-based (45).

Breath Weapon (Su)

The RBC can breathe magic swampgas in a 90 ft cone every 2d4 rounds as a standard action, dealing 35d6 damage (Reflex DC 45 for half, Constitution-based). The damage is half acid damage, half force damage.

It can also breathe magic swampwater in a 180 ft line off a separate 2d4 round timer as a standard action, dealing 35d6 damage (Reflex DC 45 for half, Constitution-based). The damage is half cold damage, half force damage.

The breath weapons deal no damage to swamp terrain.

Mucky Tail (Su)

The tail slap of the RBC marks the target to be covered in vines and mud which prevent the target from taking any actions. The target may make a Fortitude save (DC 45, Constitution-based) to only count as entangled. This lasts until the target leaves the swamp. If it dies, the effect continues even if it is revived.

Swamp Guardian

If the RBC leaves a swamp area completely, he loses the use of all of his Supernatural abilities until he returns. If the swamp area was destroyed malevolently by an intelligent force, the RBC goes on a rampage, during which he is treated as being in underwater swamp terrain, until all parties responsible have been killed. The rampage takes him across the land randomly but avoids other swamps, meaning that a large part of the world could be destroyed unless the responsible parties offer themselves up.

Swamp Command (Su)

The RBC can command all creatures native to the swamp within a 300 foot radius to attack his chosen target as best they can. This costs a full-round action. The creatures receive a DC 45 Will save to resist, but most won't even bother because the RBC is the guardian of the swamp.

The RBC ignores all difficult terrain in swamps.

Aura of Suffocation (Su)

The RBC has an aura of suffocation in a 100 ft radius around it, making the targets feel as if they were drowning in swampwater, mud, or suffocating in swampgas or humidity. All creatures the RBC views as an enemy must make a DC 45 Will save (Constitution-based) or begin holding their breath, until they leave the aura. Creatures who make their save are subject to it again the next round.

Regeneration (Ex)

Fire damage may deal lethal damage to the RBC, but only when he is not in water.

Plant Traits (Ex)

The RBC has some traits of the swamps it guards. Any time it would be subject to a mind-affecting effect or critical hit, there is a 50% chance that it is not.

Improved Grab (Ex)

To use this ability, the RBC must hit a Huge or smaller opponent with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold, deals constrict damage, and can try to swallow the foe the following round.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Is it dead Jim?

Interesting, I'm in a bit of a rush so I'll kep this short. Not much needs to be done apart from refinement. One question, does swamp guardian's bonus apply to saves and attack rolls or just skill checks? For a name I'd suggest doing what a friend of mine does (not trying to steal credit). Make a fantasy sounding anagram out of "really big croc".

My meager homebrew

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SilentNight View Post
    Is it dead Jim?
    I'd hope not. I'm still trying to work on going through everything and putting it in a nice, edited document for people to eventually download, but I've had grad school applications, job hunting (and job not-finding), and all sorts of other things that've gotten in the way.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

IT'S ALIIIIVE!!!

Well, it's pretty dead. I think people just ran out of swamp-based inspiration.

I have another spell which I never got around to writing up...

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Yeah, pretty much, is there anyway we could request a sticky?

My meager homebrew

20. - Top - End - #470
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well I hope it isn't dead, 'cus I just found this thread; great work guys.

Someone stated that some spells needed to be created; tell me what you need and I'll see what I can do. ^_-

In the mean time, would this spell be helpful? The level might need some adjusting though; opinions?

Swamp Guard
    Transmutation (Creation) [Earth, Water]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 5
    Components: V, S, M, Environmental Component
    Casting Time: 1 minute
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./ 2 levels)
    Effect: One Medium earth elemental (see text)
    Duration: 10 minutes/level (see text)
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No
    When you cast this spell, you create a warrior out of the murky elements of the swamp that fights as you direct it. The swamp guardian created resembles a warrior of the same race as the caster for the first round of its existence, but soon looks more like a roughly humanoid blob as the mud that suffuses it pours off. The Guard uses the statistics of a Medium earth elemental (see page 97 of the Monster Manual), but gains Fast Healing 4, as well as the Improved Grab and Engulf special qualities. For the purposes of Improved Grab and Engulf, consider the Guard to be Large size category (allowing it to consume/cover creatures roughly its own size due to its amorphous form).
    If the Swamp Guard moves farther away from the caster than the range of this spell, this spell ends. If the Swamp Guard or the caster exit the swamp where the Swamp Guard was created, this spell also ends. At the end of this spell (by duration or otherwise), the swamp guard crumbles into its composite parts and disappears.
    Environmental Component: Swam Guard must be cast within the area of a swamp.
    Material Component: A miniature clay figurine, mud from a swamp.
    Last edited by Avyctes; 2010-06-05 at 12:33 PM.