New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Codename: Swampgas, Like Frostburn, but with Swamps

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    For the Cloth, it could be 5 sp to make it sound cheaper.
    Good point. I always forget that the currency system's tri-decimal and not tri-cental
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

For my Swamp Giant, I want to make it immune to the sulpher gas and mucky ground and stuff, how should I go about doing that, I'm thinking that they don't have to make the saves for that, or should I have some of the feats automatic feats for the monster? I'll decide later but will listen to advice.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

You could give it the Swampy Feats as Bonus feats, or you could just give it a special quality like (Swamp-liver) that makes it immune to all the effects you want it to ignore.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

the grippli were always a cool part of d&d swamps.

i think that the lizardmen would be an awesome way to focus the project. they were always the epitome of a swamp environment throughout my campaigns.

wizards had some swamp-related spells and magic items a few years ago, though i can't recall them now. there was one in particular that allowed a druid to either summon, or become an enormous croc. it has fled my mind though.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

I'm interested in contributing. What needs the most work or humble project leader?

I'd also call it noxious spell, as opposed to smelly spell. While smelly has the alliteration, noxious just sounds less cutesy.

Some pictures I stole off the Internet for inspiration:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This one is...weird.

I really like this one...

This one is cute. I can just see a band of adventurers going aaaaw

Spider swamp people...things
    Last edited by Sxoa; 2008-02-18 at 09:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

One recommendation would be to change the name to Ignes Fatui, the more proper term for Will-o'-the-wisps. Also, Stormwrack provides rules for a Tidal Marsh, you might want to look at those for a few more references.

And while I'm at it, here's two old homebrew races I made for a campaign setting I'm working on. With a bit of tweaking, they'd be perfect for a swamp based setting.

Merkolth

The merkolth are a race of planetouched altered from what once was a fey'ri to a bizarre combination of elf and styx dragon.
    Physical Description: Merkolth resemble an elf at the right distance, however when one gets closer they notice that the skin is covered with slimy, rusty red scales, the presence of a pair of wings small enough to be useless for flight but that assist it in moving through water, a tail that splits into two long, bladed whips, hair that is a murky combination of blue and purple, and eyes that glow with a lurid yellow light.
    Personality: As befits their heritage, merkolth are commonly suspicious, manipulative, selfish, and cruel. Many simply become hired swords for the simple pleasures of wealth and murder, while the more ambitious may become crime lords or attempt to usurp or found a kingdom or noble house. Much akin to styx dragons, they consider fiendish and/or rotting carrion to be a delicacy, and can often be found cannibalizing their own dead.
    Relations: Merkolth can generally feign courteous relations with other races, though most of them are quite thorough xenophobes, knowing that their own kind are the least likely to stab them in the back, at least in the middle of the streets.
    Alignment: Merkolth are usually evil, and tend toward neutrality. Some may develop a tendency toward good and manage to escape before they are struck down for their weakness, and still others may have been a youth when a war party of elves or their allies raided the town to imprison the rouge elf-breeds. These are, of course, extremely rare instances, given the nature of the species in general.
    Merkolth lands: Merkolth tend to thrive wherever there is fetid water, or just a horribly corrupt community. Due to the highly feudal nature of their society, their establishments don't often survive long enough to evade destruction from within or without.
    Religion: Merkolth worship whatever vile god or fiend promises them the most convincing rewards for the smallest requisite loyalty, or, alternatively, whichever being elicits the most fear from them.

Abilities and racial features
    Merkolth have the following racial traits:

• +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Wis. Merkolth are graceful and intelligent, but most seem rather mad even in comparison to their Fey'ri brethren.
    • Medium Size
    • Outsider: Merkolth are native outsiders.
    • Aquatic: Merkolth are aquatic humanoids, and have the accompanying sub-types.
    • Amphibious (Ex): Merkolth can breathe water or air equally well, without limitation.
    • Merkolth base land speed is 20 feet; their tails and webbed feet are not quite suited to use on land
    • Merkolth base swim speed is 40 feet. A merkolth has a +8 racial bonus on any swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. A merkolth can always choose to take 10 on a swim check, even if distracted or endangered. A merkolth can use the run action while swimming, provided she swims in a straight line.
    • Natural attack: A merkolth has a natural bite attack that deals 1d6 damage, a five foot high, five foot wide, 60 ft long line of acid breath attack that deals 2d4 damage for 1 round +1 round/three levels (Usable once per day), and a tail attack that deals 1d6 slashing damage. On a successful tail attack, a free grapple check may be made. On a successful bite attack, the bitten creature must succeed on a fortitude save or contract Stygian Rot, sustaining 1d3 damage to both Con and Cha.
    • Darkvision up to 60 feet
    • Low-light vision: Merkolth can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    • Immunity to disease and poison
    • +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Hide, Listen, Search, and Spot checks
    • Elf Blood: For all special abilities and effects, a merkolth is considered an elf. Merkolth, for example, can use or create elven
      weapons and magic items with racially specific elven powers as if they were elves.
    • Automatic Languages: Common, Elven, and Abyssal
      Bonus Languages: Infernal, Undercommon, Dwarven, Celestial, Draconic, Aquan, Orc, Goblin, Giant, Gnome. Merkolth are familiar with their hereditary languages, as well as the languages of their enemies, business partners, and slaves.
    • Favored class: A merkolth's favored class is Sorcerer.
    • Level Adjustment +2

Might make a good basis for the crocodilian race, eh? The next race was a race of fey intended to be based on the Death's-head Hawkmoth, though they're sufficiently creepy to fit in with a swamp setting pretty well. In fact, you might even be able to adapt them into some horrific sentient mosquito species if you decided on it. The fluff I've written really dissatisfies me when compared to the generally disturbing nature of the crunchier bits, I think it may have just been a cop out when I wrote, so feel free to change it in anyway that you can. I still plan to use the Inaal in my campaign, and this whole swamp project might be a good way to get them up to par.

Inaal

Inaal are a race of nocturnal, moth-like fey that many sages speculate have some sort of connection to halflings. Most agree that they have strong connections to the Plane of Shadow and anywhere else that illusion spells draw on, due to their spell-like abilities.
    Personality: Inaal are almost entirely the same as halflings in regards to personality, however inaal aren't quite as nomadic as halflings, making most of their homes in forests as befits their fey nature. In addition, they have less of a tendency to spend wealth than halflings do, rather they prefer to either purchase practical items or use their wealth to decorate their homes. Unlike most fey, inaal are just as comfortable in urban areas as they are in the wild, though they find living there unpleasant.
    Physical Description: Inaal usually stand between 3' to 4' tall, and weigh about 30 to 40 lbs. Their skin is pale, their hair dark and coarse. They have large, solid black eyes which reflect red when exposed to light. Two small antennae sprout from their head, moving in accordance with their actions and mood. They posses short, sharp proboscises-like tongues which are strong enough to pierce flesh. Their most striking feature is a pair of large, moth-like wings with seemingly random and individually unique patterns of the darker fall colors. They generally favor comfortable, practical, and rather simple clothing, but they can't stand for it to be totally without decoration, and most tend to have a pendant of some sort they wear at all times, usually becoming their sort of signature. They reach adulthood at the age of 20 and generally live indefinitely discounting death in battle or due to disease.
    Relations: Due to their similarities, inaal get along rather famously with halflings, elves and gnomes respect them as fey creatures, while dwarves and humans tend to find them quite disturbing. Still, they try to get along with everyone, but find lawful societies unpleasantly restricting, and they are frequent crusaders against evil and oppression.
    Alignment: Inaal tend toward neutrality in the same fashion as a halfling, and are much more often good than evil.
    Inaal Lands: Inaal have no definitive nations, instead living in loosely associated groups on the fringes of civilization, or traveling across the world in caravans as halflings do.
    Religion: Most inaal worship either Obad-Hai, a neutral or good shadow or night deity if it exists in the campaign, or Ehlonna, and at least respect Stronmaus (Storm giant deity from Defenders of the Faith) and Olidammara. A sizable number worship those two as well, and generally all inaal pray to Fharlanghn while traveling.
    Language: Inaal speak Sylvan and/or Umbral, possibly in a Nadsat-esque slang that is a combination of the two, and most write very little other than elders and spellcasters. Most myths are relayed by word of mouth, with written copies mainly distributed by the other races.
    Names: Inaal choose their own names not long after they learn to speak as children, often basing their names on some facet of the natural world that particularly appeals to them. They don’t attach much more significance to their names, and it’s not unusual for an inaal to change names numerous times throughout his lifetime, as he encounters new manifestations of nature that appeal to him.
    Adventures: An adventuring inaal most likely is on some sort of mission to bolster a cause they support, such as to protect the balance of nature, or to try to add credence to a political system. Many may simply be looking for excitement or glory, but wealth is generally considered a means to an end by most. Sometimes, it may be a sort of pilgrimage in the eyes of the inaal, and the most religious among them tend to leave on their own rather than travel with their family in a caravan.

Inaal Racial Traits

• +2 Dex, -2 Str, +2 Cha. Inaal are quick, agile, good with ranged weapons, enchanting like most fey, but smaller and weaker than the other races.
    • Small: As a small creature, an inaal gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack roles, and a +4 size bonus on hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a medium character.
    • Inaal base land speed is 20 feet, and their fly speed is 40 feet with good maneuvarability.
    • +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, Spot, and Move Silently checks: Inaal are alert and stealthy.
    • +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions: Inaal are intimately familiar with illusions of all kinds
    • Add +2 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by inaal. Their innate attunement to the planes from which these spells originate from make their illusion more difficult to see through. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects, such as the Spell Focus feat.
    • Automatic languages: Common, Umbral(Or any other 'Common' for the Plane of Shadow.) and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Halfling, Goblin, Auran, Terran, Aquan, Ignan, Celestial.
    • Blood Drain (Ex): An inaal can suck blood from a living victim with her tongue by making a successful grapple check. If she pins the foe, she drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack, an inaal gains 5 temporary hit points that last for up to 1 hour.
    • Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day -- Dancing Lights, Sound Burst, Darkness, Disguise Self, Web, and Fear. In addition, an inaal with a Cha of 18 or higher has the following spell-like abilities: Light of Lunia (PlH), Charm Person, Summon Swarm, Claws of Darkness (FRCS), Moon Blade(FRCS), Darkfire(MaF), Shadow Spray(FRCS). Her caster level is equal to her character level, save DC 10+Cha modifier+spell level.
    • Favored Class: Shadowcaster
    • Level Adjustment +2
    Last edited by Nonanonymous; 2008-02-18 at 09:06 PM.

My campaign setting to be; Tei Tenga.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Based on the Acid Slush terrain from Frostburn minus a few cold related stuff and flavor text:

Acid Bog:
    Acid bog has a faint green hue, making it difficult to notice except in good light. Spotting an acid bog bog before entering it requires a DC 20 Survival
    check. If the moving creature succeeds on a DC 10 Survival check but not a DC 20 check, he notices that the square is with bog but does not identify it as acid bog.

Acid bog deals 1d6 points of acid damage per round of exposure, or 6d6 points of acid damage with total immersion. Most acid slush is about 1 foot in depth. It costs 2 squares of movement to move into a square with acid bog, and the DC of Balance and Tumble checks in such a square increase by 2. Acid bog imposes a –4 penalty on Move Silently checks.

It's likely that this would expose the person to disease as the acid burns through the skin pathogens enter unfettered.

EDIT: PS. I haven't claimed "dibs" on the pictures I posted before. If anyone wants to to create a creature for them, well that's what I found them for!
    Last edited by Sxoa; 2008-02-18 at 09:39 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pinning down the stat block for the swampgiant and might post it tomarrow.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, here's the Monstrous Crawfish, bane of Cajun connoisseurs everywhere. It's tweakable if anyone has any suggestions.

Monstrous Crawfish
    Spoiler
    Show

Medium Vermin (Aquatic)
    Hit Dice: 3d8+9 (22 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares); swim 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 17 (+1 Dex, +6 natural); touch 11; flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
    Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d6+2)
    Full-Attack: 2 Claws +4 melee (1d6+2)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Constrict, improved grab
    Special Qualities: Amphibious, darkvision 60 ft., vermin traits
    Saves: Fort +6 Ref +2 Will +1
    Abilities: Str 15, Dex 12, Con 17, Int –, Wis 10, Cha 6
    Skills:
    Feats:
    Environment: Swamps, wetlands
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 4-8 HD (Medium); 9-12 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment:

This dark red creature stands about two-and-a-half feet tall and is about four feet long. Some sort of large crustacean, its limbs are tipped with large, powerful claws. The sun glints off its hard carapace as it sidles closer to the water, its pincers clicking menacingly.

A monstrous crawfish (also known as a crawdad or crayfish) is a huge, deadly version of a common freshwater crustacean found in rivers, swamps, bayous, and other wetlands. Normally a scavenger, a monstrous crawfish is not above attack still-living creatures if appear to promise a quick meal.

A monstrous crawfish, if pressed into fighting, attacks with its claws, hoping to gain a constricting grip on smaller prey. If the opponent puts up too much of a fight, the crawfish attempts to grab whatever it can and escape to the deeper waters where it’s much more mobile.

Combat

Constrict (Ex): With a successful grapple check, a monstrous crawfish can crush a grabbed opponent, dealing 1d6+4 points of bludgeoning damage.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a monstrous crawfish hits an opponent that is at least one size category smaller than itself with a claw attack, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it gets a hold, it also constricts on the same round.

Vermin Traits: A monstrous crawfish is immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). It also has darkvision (60-foot range).

Also, I can't do it tonight, but I've been planning on going through the SRD and maybe some other sources and compiling a list of common swamp creatures, both already published and posted here. I guess I could actually just make charts for random encounters (like pg. 199-224 of Frostburn, but nowhere near as detailed), but it'll take a while.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-02-18 at 11:12 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Working on a Prc, The Frog Jigger (or swamp jigger, debating) will be up tomorrow
    Newest Avvy by Bisected8

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

Another little one, good for low-level encounters. I hope is not too similar to the Monstrous Crawfish, but I decided to make it before seeing rtg0922's monster. I took inspiration from the actual eurypterid (I study Natural Sciences so I'm so fond in prehstoric beasts)

Eurypterid
    Spoiler
    Show

Small Vermin (Acquatic)
    Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), swim 50 ft (10 squares)
    Armor Class: 17 (+2 Dex, +1 size, +4 natural) touch 12, flat-footed 15
    BaB/Grapple: +1/+1
    Attack: Claws +2 melee, (1d3 +1/x2) or bite +2 melee (1d4+1/x2)
    Full Arrack: 2 claws +2 melee (1d3 +1/x2) or bite +2 melee (1d4+1/x2)
    Space/Reach:5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: -
    Special Qualities: Amphibian, Darkvision 60 ft, Scent, Vermin traits
    Saves: For +5, Ref +2, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 12, Dex 15, Con 14 , Int -, Wis 16, Cha 3
    Skills: Hide +8*
    Feats: -
    Enviroment: Any swamp and freshwater
    Organization: Solitary, group (2-6) or swarm (6-20)
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Treasure: Exoskeletron (see below)
    Alignment:Always Neutral
    Advancement: 3-5 HD (Small), 6-10 (Medium), 11-20 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment: -

A strange animal approaches from the water. It resembles a big scorpion, and goes directly for you ankles. Its claws look sharp, and its mouth moves costantly.

Eurypterids dwelled the seas and the freshwaters of the ancient world. They were fierce predators, the most dangerous of the ancestral waters. They eventually disappeared, but some of them refuged in the in-land, beginning to inhabit in the swamps and feeding of small fish and other creatures. They pass most of their existance under the sand or the mud, hunting expecially at night. They are usually about 3 feet long, but some of them arrive even to 9 ft.

COMBAT
    Eurypterids attack anything appetizing to them, and they rush from everywere everytime they perceive a scent of blood in the water. They attack aiming for the nearest part of their pray, usually the ankles. They usually come in groups, but the largest ones hunts alone.
    Amphibian (Ex): Eurypterids can stay outside the water up to 30 minutes.
    Scent (Ex): Eurypterids have an exceptional sense of scent and can perceive the presence even of few drops of blood in a range of 40ft. When the blood quantity is high, their range of perception can increase up to 90 ft. Eurypterids are able to detect their opponents in a range of 10 ft. grounding only on their blood scent.

Skills:*Although Eurypterids don't have a Int score, they have a racial use of the Hide Skill and +4 to their Hide check when in swamp or sand terrains.

And in addition,
    Eurypterid Armor
    Spoiler
    Show

Swamp population have learned to use the sturdy platens of Eurypterids exoskeletron to make armors. A Eurypterid Armor is an exotic light armor made with the plates. It offers a good protection and is lighter than a normal armor.
    An Eurypterid Armor suit can be crafted using at least 6 Small, 3 MEdium or 1 Large Eurypterid's bodies, not heavy damaged. You have to make a Craft (armor) check with a DC of 25 and spend 15 gold pieces of additional material components.

Eurypterid Armor (exotic light armor)
    Cost: 150 gp
    Armor Bonus: +4
    Maximum Dex Bonus: +4
    Armor Check Penality: -1
    Arcane Spell Failure: 15%
    Speed: 30 ft (M), 20 ft (S)
    Weight: 20 lb

Last edited by Caracol; 2008-02-19 at 08:44 AM.

Characters played:
    Koros (Nation of the Dead) < - adopt this psicopatic as your avatar!!!
    Bones (Beginner's Dungeon Crawl)

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

I warned you. Now you have to go read it.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

I am not fully done with the monster Im making but here is what I have so far.

The creation of a monster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Concept:Large humanoid, dark green,walk through pool/bog w/out penalty. Green and slimy, acid use. lives in swamp and territorial. Relies on strength and speed to get food. Giant gone wild.
    Type: Giant
    -----------------
    Target CR: 8ish, maybe 9.
    Type:Giant
    Size:Large Min CR:2 str 26 dex11 con 20 Min HD:2 Max HD:--- Slam/tentacle:1d6 Bite:1d8 claw/sting:1d6 Gore/tail:1d8
    Subtype:---
    HD: 8-24 prob. 12
    Abilities:Int:8 Wis:10 Cha:11
    Initiative:0
    Speed:40 ft
    AC:20=10+-1size+9 natural Armor+2 bonus on Natural Armor.
    Atk: -melee weapon (club) -ranged weapon(rocks) -slam Atk bonus: +16 melee +8 range Damage:Slam 1d6+8, club 1d8+8, rocks:2d6+8 or 0? (str or Dex mod?)
    Full atk:need help on this
    Special attacks:rock throwing
    Special qualities:none yet
    Saves:(Don't know base saves)Fort +8, Ref +0, Will +0
    Skill points:15 listen +4, spot +4, survival +4, swim +11
    Feats: Great Fortitud: Improved Natural Armor (x2), steady stomach, Swampy stomach
    Space/reach:10ft/10ft
    Environment:Temperate Marshes
    Treasure:standard
    Alignment:Usually CE
    Advancement:by character class
    CR:target 8, need to playtest.

As you might see, I need some help with this, got any tips?

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Disease:
    Bog Rot: This usually appears on the feet, when travelers do not thoroughly dry off for long periods of time after initial exposure to the fetid waters of the swamp.

It reduces a creatures speed by 10 feet on every failed save. Once a creature's speed reaches 0 it begins doing 1d8 Con damage as the rot becomes gangrenous and septic. It takes 3 successful saves to shake off Bog Rot

Infection: Exposure
    Incubation: 2d4 days
    Save DC: 18
    Damage: Special

The Flux: Spread through fouled water. This disease prevents the body from retaining water. Characters immediately begin to suffer from dehydration no matter how much water they drink. They can only recover from the dehydration once they completely shake the disease off.

Infection: Ingestion
    Incubation: 1d4 days
    Save DC: 17
    Damage: 1d8 Str + 1d4 Con + Special

Lung Spore (aka Witch's Breath): Caused by fungal spores that enter the lungs, this fearsome disease rots a creature out from it's core until only a gruesome fungal bloom remains, churning out more toxic spores. Whenever a creature takes 4 or more constitution damage from the disease they immediately begin choking and can do nothing but hack and cough. A character must begin making Fort Saves DC 10+1 for each previous save. After making 3 successful saves in a row they can breath as normal again. On a natural 1 on one of these saves they begin suffocating.

Infection: Inhalation
    Incubation: 3d6 hours
    Save DC: 15
    Damage: 1d4 Con + Special

Those may need some tooling...

Special Template to apply to diseases: Resistant.
    The swamps and bogs are breeding grounds for new plagues and more fearsome versions of the old ones. With the selective pressure of healing magic, many diseases have evolved magic resistance.
    To magically cure a resistant disease a character must make a caster level check vs. 10+the diseases save DC.
    Hardier strains can hhave 15+the diseases save DC or more, while some of the most feared have a complete immunity to magic.

14. - Top - End - #44

I made this one too some time ago, for my own setting. My continent had some dangerous swamp lands in the middle, so I homebrewd some monsters good for swamps encounter.

Red Predator
    Spoiler
    Show

I have no source for the original image this time, sorry.

Large Aberration
    Hit Dice: 15d8+15 (82 hp)
    Initiative: +8
    Speed: 40 ft. (12 squares), climb 20 ft (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 20 (+4 Dex, -1 size, +7 natural) touch 13, flat-footed 16
    BaB/Grapple: +10/+15
    Attack: Claw +14 melee (1d6 +4/19-20)
    Full Arrack: 2 claws +14 melee (1d6 +4/19-20)
    Space/Reach:10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Constrict, Improved Grab
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Telluric Perception 120 ft, Regeneration 5, Spell-like abilities
    Saves: For +8, Ref +9, Will +12
    Abilities: Str 20, Dex 18, Con 12 , Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 6
    Skills: Climb + 15*, Concentration +15, Hide +10, Listen +12, Move Silently +14, Search +13, Spellcraft +13,Spot + 12, Survival + 12
    Feats: Combat Casting, Improved Critical (claws), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Spell Penetration
    Enviroment: Any swamp, cave and underground
    Challenge Rating: 11
    Treasure: Triple Standard
    Alignment:Always Neutral Evil
    Advancement: 16-20 HD (Large), 21-25 HD (Huge)

You shake your head, and suddenly what seemed to be a comfortable forest becomes a dark and dirty cave full of bones. A tall and terrible figure stands in the middle, crimson and menacing.

Little is known about the Red Predator's origins, but sure they become infamous among the travellers of the swamps. They are tall creatures, with a red and spongy body and almost no facial features. They feed mostly of the blood of any creature they can kill, so their unusual body structure absorbs the color from their victims. Although they would seem mindless, they are really smart and cunning predators. They dwell in caves, that soon become full of the rests of their meals, in were they feel well protected. They perceive the presence of the creatures from far, and they create complex illusions to make their caves entrance's appealing for their preys. They usually expect them to be in the cave before dissolving the illusion and attack.
    Red Predators attack any prey, but recently they becomed more interested in adventurer's parties, expecially in the spellcasters. They feed on them and collect all their gear, storing it in their caves, and are interested especially in the wizard's books, which they study to increase their spell-casting capability.
    Red Predators understand almost evey language and writing, but don't speak.

COMBAT
    Red Predators usually attract their preys thanks to their spell like abilities, creating appealing illusion to make them approach their caves. Once there, they relie on their magic or on their great strenght. If attacked from multiple direction, they usually cast repulsion and try to eliminate their opponent at distance, usually concentrating on the spellcasters. They flee rarely, since they are really attached to their hideout.
    Constrict (Ex): A Red Predator that keeps an opponent in a grapple can automatically deal 2d6 +4 additional bludgeoing damage.
    Improved Grab (Ex): After a successfull attack, a Red Predator can do a Grapple check as a free action against opponents at least a Size category smaller than him. This action provokes an attack of opportunity with a -4 penality.
    Regenaration (Ex): The spongy body of a Red Predator gives him a regeneration of 5.
    Spell-like abilities (Su): As a 11° level Wizard. The DC are Int based.Tipical prepared spells (4/5/5/5/3/2/1, DC 13 + spell level) 0° - dancing lights (2), mage hand, resistance; 1st - alarm, mage armor, magic missile, shocking grasp, silent image; 2nd - blur, invisibility, Melf's acid arrow, scorching ray, shatter; 3rd - fireball, gaseous form, major image, slow, vampiric touch; 4th - geas (lesser), shout, shadow conjuration; 5th - mirage arcana, passwall; 6th - repulsion.

Skills:* Red Predators are good climber and can take 10 to their Climb check in any circumstance.

Here it is, I hope you like it. I'm aslo working on a Swamp Nymph, expect her soon.
    I found this thread on the ConceptArt site, there are a lot of pictures and creature to use as inspiration in my opinion. Take a look at it!!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56176

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, I've started compiling a list of swamp creatures from published sources (as well as what's been posted here so far), but I don't have that many monster type books at the moment. I've covered the Monster Manual/SRD stuff, Monster Manual III (which has several good things), as well as some other sources (Expanded Psionics, Races series, Frostburn, etc.). I hope to look through the other Monster Manuals at some point this week, as well as the Fiend Folio once I get it back from one of my buddies. After that I'm not sure where to go.

Also, does anyone have the Manual of the Planes? I've discovered that it has Paraelementals (sort of like hybrids of two types), and it'd be great if someone could tell me Ooze Paraelemental (hybrid of Earth and Water, I assume) is something that I should include.

For people homebrewing critters, you might want to shoot for higher CRs. There are a ton of low-CR critters (the "hot-spot" seems to be around CR 3-5), whereas there's basically nothing (so far) from CR 12-20 (except the various black dragons).
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-02-19 at 05:39 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am not fully done with the monster Im making but here is what I have so far.

The creation of a monster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Concept:Large humanoid, dark green,walk through pool/bog w/out penalty. Green and slimy, acid use. lives in swamp and territorial. Relies on strength and speed to get food. Giant gone wild.
    Type: Giant
    -----------------
    Target CR: 8ish, maybe 9.
    Type:Giant
    Size:Large Min CR:2 str 26 dex11 con 20 Min HD:2 Max HD:--- Slam/tentacle:1d6 Bite:1d8 claw/sting:1d6 Gore/tail:1d8
    Subtype:---
    HD: 8-24 prob. 12
    Abilities:Int:8 Wis:10 Cha:11
    Initiative:0
    Speed:40 ft
    AC:20=10+-1size+9 natural Armor+2 bonus on Natural Armor.
    Atk: -melee weapon (club) -ranged weapon(rocks) -slam Atk bonus: +16 melee +8 range Damage:Slam 1d6+8, club 1d8+8, rocks:2d6+8 or 0? (str or Dex mod?)
    Full atk:need help on this
    Special attacks:rock throwing
    Special qualities:none yet
    Saves:(Don't know base saves)Fort +8, Ref +0, Will +0
    Skill points:15 listen +4, spot +4, survival +4, swim +11
    Feats: Great Fortitud: Improved Natural Armor (x2), steady stomach, Swampy stomach
    Space/reach:10ft/10ft
    Environment:Temperate Marshes
    Treasure:standard
    Alignment:Usually CE
    Advancement:by character class
    CR:target 8, need to playtest.

As you might see, I need some help with this, got any tips?
    The 3.0 Fiend Folio already has a bog giant, but with all of those crazy attachments, I think you're pushing for aberration or plant rather than giant.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Alright, I've started compiling a list of swamp creatures from published sources (as well as what's been posted here so far), but I don't have that many monster type books at the moment. I've covered the Monster Manual/SRD stuff, Monster Manual III (which has several good things), as well as some other sources (Expanded Psionics, Races series, Frostburn, etc.). I hope to look through the other Monster Manuals at some point this week, as well as the Fiend Folio once I get it back from one of my buddies. After that I'm not sure where to go.

Also, does anyone have the Manual of the Planes? I've discovered that it has Paraelementals (sort of like hybrids of two types), and it'd be great if someone could tell me Ooze Paraelemental (hybrid of Earth and Water, I assume) is something that I should include.

For people homebrewing critters, you might want to shoot for higher CRs. There are a ton of low-CR critters (the "hot-spot" seems to be around CR 3-5), whereas there's basically nothing (so far) from CR 12-20 (except the various black dragons).
    The Fiend Folio's got a lot of great stuff for swamp encounters.
    • Ahuizotl
    • everything from the aquatic ooze heading
    • bhut
    • the century worm and crawling head might work
    • dark ones could easily be made into a swamp dwelling race
    • darkweaves
    • demodands
    • blood fiends, klurichirs, maurezhi, myrmyxicus, skulvyn, and wastrilith demons all could find a home in the swamp.
    • the two devils described in the book (the Paeliryon would make a good swamp witch to surprise players expecting to find a green hag)
    • Kaorti, to lead horrid rituals around "a great granite monolith some eight feet in height; on top of which, incongruous in its diminutiveness, rested a noxious carven statuette"
    • kelpies
    • lucent worms
    • megatherium (I think they resided in the dryer parts of swamps, but I can't quite remember)
    • octopus trees
    • quth-marren
    • skulks
    • mud slaadi
    • slasrath
    • spore bats
    • ti-kana deinonychus
    • ulgurstasta
    • vine horror
    • yellow musk creeper and yellow musk zombies
    • yuan-ti anathema
    • piscoloth

And yes, the ooze elemental from Manual of the Planes works.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

When I was working on my creature I forgot most of the concepts, so the Swamp giant is basicly a tall guy that lives in a swamp with all of the giants traits. It doesn't seem like an aberation to me, more like a really tall humanoid.
    Definatly not a plant.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

At Caracol: What overcomes the regeneration? Acid? Fire?

crystalkeep.com has a list of creatures by environment. It includes a variety of temperatures of marshes. Its still worth it to check up on the original source books, because while I greatly appreciate Chet's work he can sometimes be sloppy and miss/misquote things.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

While working on my giant, I found this creature that I might homebrew, but it seems more of an underground enviornment than swamp, what to you guys think?
    [edit] Asphinxes
    Asphinxes are actually demons who were banished to the Forbidding along with their demonic brethren. Only one was left in the Four Lands, kept to guard the black elfstone. They have the form of snakes, upon striking their victims they turn to stone, while their poison slowly and painfully turns their victim into stone as well. Walker Boh was bitten by the asphinx while attempting to retrieve the black elfstone in The Scions of Shannara, but he managed to escape by breaking off his own arm. In the world of Jarka Ruus (the Forbidding), Grianne and Weka Dart stumble upon the nesting grounds of the asphinxes. Weka Dart lures the demon wolves of Tael Riverine into the nest area keeping himself and Grianne from harm.
    From the series: The Heritage of Shannara.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

When I was working on my creature I forgot most of the concepts, so the Swamp giant is basicly a tall guy that lives in a swamp with all of the giants traits. It doesn't seem like an aberation to me, more like a really tall humanoid.
    Definatly not a plant.
    But, you gave them tentacles. It might not be a written one, but I think that a general rule is that only aberrations, plants, magical beasts based on octopi, vermin, and evil extraplanar creatures have tentacles. Tentacles are, after all, one of the things that almost every Great Old One has in common with the others.
    Last edited by Nonanonymous; 2008-02-19 at 08:58 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't give them tentacles,I was using the damage values given in the making monsters chapter in the MM. It gave the damage given by many natural attacks, and the only natural attack I actually used is Slam.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

23. - Top - End - #53

right, he was just putting the stats of the attacks for reference, those aren't the attacks he actually gave the giant
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

24. - Top - End - #54

I am going to be starting to post my own stuff now, but like I said earlier, my life is really hectic right now, so I have little time. Luckily, Homebrewing is very relaxing for me, so I can get this one out as a last mental exercise before bed.

Bog-Born [Template]

The swamps change things, from the fetid waters to the noxious gases, the swamps are an environment all their own. Some creatures are warped by the stranger swamps and become a strange combination of creature, plant, and Bog, a Bog-Born.

The Bog-Born template can be applied to any living creature with the following subtypes: Animal, Dragon, Fey, Giant, Humanoid, Magical Beast, Monstrous Humanoid, or Vermin.

A Bog-Born receives the following changes:

-Change their HD to Plant unless their previous HD is better, and gain the Plant Subtype in addition to their other Subtypes.
    -Can traverse any terrain in a swamp or similar area without hindrance
    -Can see normally in Swamps
    -Gain Acid Resistance 15
    -Immunity to disease
    -If the Base Creature had 10 HD or more, they gain a Noxious Gas Breath Weapon (See Below).
    -Gain a swim speed at its land speed (Unless it's previous Swim speed was better)
    -Gains a +10 bonus to Hide when hiding in Swampy areas, and a +10 bonus to Swim checks when in Swampy Areas.
    -+2 Constitution
    -+2 Bonus to Natural Armor
    -LA +3

Noxious Breath-This Cone-shaped breath weapon forces all creatures within its area to undergo a Fort Save against 1d4 rounds of Nauseation. The DC is equal to the user's HD+Constitution Modifier.

Sample Monster:

Bog-Born Young Black Dragon
    Size/Type: Medium Dragon (Dragon, Plant)
    Hit Dice: 10d12+30 (95)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 60 ft., fly 150 ft. (poor), swim 60 ft.
    Armor Class: 21 (+11 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 21
    Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+13
    Attack: Bite +13 1d8+3, or 2 Claws +8 1d6+1, or 2 Wings +8 1d4+1
    Full Attack: Bite +13 1d8+3, 2 Claws +8 1d6+1, 2 Wings +8 1d4+1
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, Noxious Breath
    Special Qualities: Bog-Born Qualities (See Above), Immunity to Sleep and Paralysis, Blindsense out to 60 ft. Darkvision 120 ft., Acid Immunity, Plant Qualities, Plant Immunities, Water-Breathing
    Saves: Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 10
    Skills: Concentration +16, Diplomacy +6, Intimidate +13, Listen +13, Search +13, Sense Motive +7, Spot +13, +10 Hide (In Swamps), +10 Swim (In Swamps)
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Blind-Fight, Cleave, Improved Sunder, Fly-By Attack
    Environment: Swamp
    Challenge Rating: 8
    Treasure: Triple Standard, No Paper
    Alignment: Always chaotic evil
    Advancement: Wyrmling 5-6 HD; very young 8-9 HD; young 11-12 HD; juvenile 14-15 HD; young adult 17-18 HD; adult 20-21 HD; mature adult 23-24 HD; old 26-27 HD; very old 29-30 HD; ancient 32-33 HD; wyrm 35-36 HD; great wyrm 38+ HD

Combat

The Bog-Born Black Dragon acts slightly differently from a regular Dragon. Firstly, it will hide in the Swamps, waiting for its prey to come near. Then, it will use its Noxious Breath to Nauseate weaker enemies, followed by its other Breath weapon. At that point, it will close in, and use its attacks until it can use its breath weapon again. If it seems like loss is inevitable, the Bog-Born Black Dragon may attempt to escape back into its swampy home to fight another day.

Breath Weapon: Line of Acid, 6d4 Acid damage, DC 19, based on Constitution.

Noxious Breath Weapon: This 60 ft. Cone-shaped breath weapon forces all creatures within its area to undergo a Fort Save against 1d4 rounds of Nauseation. The DC is 14, Fortitude Save.

Water Breathing (Ex): A black dragon can breathe underwater indefinitely and can freely use its breath weapon, spells, and other abilities while submerged.
    Last edited by TheLogman; 2008-02-19 at 10:54 PM.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Swamp Orcs and Half-Orcs can now be found in the compiled Races of the Bog post later in the thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Races of the Bog
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-03-10 at 06:12 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Ooooh...I'm interested.

I'm a fan of Frostburn, and just got Sandstorm and Stormwrack for my birthday today. So...I'll help. Semi-avid homebrewer.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Happy birthday.
    @logman: for all the terrain features, couldn't you just follow the ones from the marsh (aka swamp) terrain described on page 88-89 of the DMG? Then you could add fog and the methane and all that.

For the Swamp Giant, I may need help for the following parts:
    -Damage modifier for rocks; does it use strenth or dexterity?
    -Full attack;How should I go about doing this?
    -Special qualitys; thinking of adding woodland stride from the druid class discription, and wether or not I should add anything else?
    -Saves; I do not know the base saves for a HD 12 giant.
    -CR; I do not need much help on this, but I might need help playtesting this.
    Thats about it for now.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

28. - Top - End - #58

For the Swamp Giant, I may need help for the following parts:
    -Damage modifier for rocks; does it use strenth or dexterity?
    -Full attack;How should I go about doing this?
    -Special qualitys; thinking of adding woodland stride from the druid class discription, and wether or not I should add anything else?
    -Saves; I do not know the base saves for a HD 12 giant.
    -CR; I do not need much help on this, but I might need help playtesting this.
    Thats about it for now.
    - Damage modifier for throwing weapons is Str x 0.5.
    - Base attack is 3/4 of the HD.
    - Base saves for giants are good for For, low for Ref and Will. For 12 HD, they should be +8/+4/+4.
    - CR: post the whole monster first, or tell us from what CR are you starting.

Hope I gave some help.

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

-Thanks
    -Already knew that but thanks.
    -Knew that, so I add all modifiers to those?
    -I will post the whole monster eventually, then I might go to the pbp games and start a playtesting thread, maybe.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

30. - Top - End - #60

Swamp Nymph
    Spoiler
    Show

original art by OchreJelly

Medium Fey
    Hit Dice: 6d6+12 (33 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30 ft. (9 squares), swim 20 ft (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +1 natural, +3 deviation) touch 16, flat-footed 14
    BaB/Grapple: +3/+3
    Attack: Shortspear +3 melee (1d6/x2), or longbow +6 ranged (1d8/x3)
    Full Arrack: Shortspear +3 melee (1d6 /x2), or longbow +6 ranged (1d8/x3)
    Space/Reach:5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Nauseating Glance, Spells, Spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: Lowlight vision, Wild Empathy
    Saves: For +5, Ref +7, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14 , Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 17
    Skills: Bluff + 7, Concentration +11, Escape Artist +5, Handle Animal +10, Heal +5, Hide +10, Listen +8, Move Silenty +10, Sense Motive +6, Spot +8, Survival +10, Swim* + 13, Use Rope + 5
    Feats: Augment Summoning, Great Fortitude, Spell Focus (conjuration)
    Enviroment: Any swamp
    Organization: Solitary, group (2-5)
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment:Usually Chaotic Evil
    Advancement: 7-10 HD (Medium)

An enchanting creature observers you, and her gaze is unspeakable. She waits for you to be near, and then her smile turns into a grin, as you feel your belly crushing and swarms of insects sorrounding you.

Slightly less beatyful than their forest fellow creatures, Swamp Nymphs are more, more evil than them. They dwell the swamp forest, hiding and attracting unwary adventurers. They hunt and kill without mercy, using their spells or dominated creatures or animals. They not protect them, they only use them for their purposes.
    Swamp Nymphs look like elven maidens, but with green skin and plant-like hairs. They tend to avoid the zones full of swamp gas.
    Swamp Nymphs talk Sylvan and Undercommon.

COMBAT
    Swamp Nymphs usually stay calm if not disturbed, but start to hunt and to attack every time they sense a presence around there. They lurk and wait for the unaware opponents, revealing and charming them. If their trap fails, they use their nauseating glance ability before starting summoning and casting at their opponents. Once they kill them, they suddenly lose interests and simply leave the corpses there.
    Nauseating Glance (Su): As a standard action, a Swamp Nymph can nauseate a creature within 30 feet with a look. The target creature must succeed on a DC 16 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 2d4 rounds. The save DC is Charisma-based. A character that succesfully saves against this effect is immune from that Nymph's Nauseating Glance for the rest of the day.
    Spell-like abilities (Su): suggestion 3/day, caster level 6th, DC is Cha based.
    Spells (Su): Swamp Nymphs cast spells as a 5th level Druid. The DC is Wis based. Tipical prepare spells (5/4/3/2, DC 12 + spell level): 0 - detect magic, flare, guidance, know direction, resistance; 1st - entangle, fearie fire, magic fang, obscuring myst; 2nd - animal trance, chill metal, summon swarm; 3rd - spike growth, summon Nature's ally III.

Wild Empathy (Ex): As the Druid's class ability, but with a +4 racial bonus to the check against swamp creatures.

Skills:A Swamp Nymph has a +6 racial bonus on any Swim check performed in swamp terrains. She can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. She can use the run action while swimming, provided she swims in a straight line.
    Last edited by Caracol; 2008-02-20 at 02:56 PM.

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show