New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Mad Alchemist feat question

I am helping make a character for a friend and I need some help. All I know about the “Mad Alchemist” feat is, it's in the PHB2, the description, and the perquisite for it. Can somebody please tell me what it does?
    He who fights and runs away, has time to get a bigger gun. - ThunderBolt Stormaires

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Mad Alchemist feat question

it does 3 separate things.
    one increases damage using alchemist fire and similar, bit meh imo.
    third enables you to create some difficult terrain by tearing open a tanglefoot bag, could be useful to control the battlefield.

second use is really quite powerful: you ready an action to throw a thunderstone at someone who is casting a spell or attacking.
    if spell they must pass a will save vs your craft:alchemy check. as skills fly up quicker than saves this is good. if they fail they LOSE THEIR SPELL!
    or throw it at an attacker and fort save or suffer -2 to all attacks.

i think this is fairly accurate.
    so if you max ranks have artifice domain (+4 craft checks) and bung some other bonuses in there mwk tools etc, you can actually make a DRAGON fail to cast its spell! (i have an alchemist gnome in my group built in this way)
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    if this thread is a 4e thread then play 3.5
    if this thread is a 3.5 thread then play 4e

devils advocacy by signature