New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Dice superstitions?

I've met a lot of gamers who have these. For example, I've got one player in my current game who always leaves them at their maximum value when they're not being handled. I've had others who insist they always roll better if they're allowed to use a particular color, and other, stranger things.

What are yours? :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Dice superstitions?

Never swallow the dice.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm a dice atheist.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JMobius View Post
    I've met a lot of gamers who have these. For example, I've got one player in my current game who always leaves them at their maximum value when they're not being handled. I've had others who insist they always roll better if they're allowed to use a particular color, and other, stranger things.

What are yours? :)
    that's wierd, actually, i keep them at their maximum values, and i don't even have any supersitious bearings for it
    Turn undead!
    Bolster undead!
    Stab undead!

Credit to Nathan for the Stephen Colbert avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, nothing like that, but at the dnd I regularly go to which is amazingly well-run old-school first edition, the dice come up as a 1 or a 20 about a quarter of the time. It always enhances the already epic-ness of the situation.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

My dice talk to me telepathically. My d4 is a real jerk, he scares me.
    I love my d6, though. He's so nice! I can ask for just about any result from him. Same goes for d8.
    I don't think d12 and d20 like me very much.
    I can also transfer luck into and out of them.
    Like a fatespinner, but with worse art.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

When the dice goes off the table by accident, it will always come up over a 15 (Not mine, but I know the person) the scary part is that about 75% of the time, it does.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

When dice "misbehave" my friends will throw them in the freezer.
    40K players I know will take a d6 and burn it in front of the other dice as a warning to the others.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Dice hate me, so I figure if I piss 'em off enough, their revenge will be less detrimental than what they already do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I used to keep mine warm by keeping them in my pocket- nowadays I just keep them in a fancy pouch I sewed with a bunch of shiny quarters. They mostly treat me nice. Regular black-and-white gambling dice for stats, shiny red dice for anything that doesn't require multiples of any particular type.

We have a person in my group, though, who's kind of a weird... sinkhole for dice-luck, or a magnet or something. Rolls terrible to average for himself, if he touches others' dice they get infected, if we roll his dice they're not bad, and if *we* are rolling horribly... we hand them to him, then take them back, and it's like a double-negative and they're suddenly behaving better.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

It has been experimentally proven that if you put a die into your mouth before an important roll, the chances of rolling a good score will be much higher.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I possess the d20 of DM power, it performs perfect ally normal in the hands of a player, but in the hands of a DM it tends to threaten more critical then not. To this day i am not allowed to use it while DMing, and this comes from a group of people who are all well grounded in reality, at least half of which have taken college level physics classes.

It makes no logical sense, the die should be unbiased, and the being DM shouldn't change that fact, but empirical data suggests otherwise.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

My superstitions:
    Leave them in maximum value when not in use, they like high number and status quo is good. Blow on them for unimportant roles, let them behave naturally for important ones (they seem to like being untampered when I am in a save or die situation.) Never beg the dice, they like seeing weakness. Lastly, roll parallel to the body, if it makes a nice parallel line with my torso, the rolls seem to be favorable.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

GM friend of mine has a set of clear dice. He is almost always the GM. A second friend of mine never has dice of his own so he grabs a hand full out of the GM's Lego bag. We then discovered the second night he barrowed the clear dice he always rolled horrificly well. After afew weeks the GM refused to let him use the clear dice. However they always seem to end up in my friends pile of dice anyway.

When we played Battletech my GM friend alwasy used a pair of pink and light green dice. Not very manly but it was murder on the crittical hits.

I have a clear green D6 with white dots. I dont know whare I got it Ive alwasy had it. For 3 years it was even at the bottom of a fish tank. That die rolls 6s like you wouldnt beleave. I rolled a 38 charisma stat for rifts with that die alone. I alwasy use it for the wild die in star wars and it must be used when playing shadowrun. Its my lucky green die.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

When the dice goes off the table by accident, it will always come up over a 15 (Not mine, but I know the person) the scary part is that about 75% of the time, it does.
    The really freaky thing is, it was a d8 that got dropped!
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I give all my dice hot loving.
    Warm 'em up in my hands will make 'em better!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horseboy View Post
    When dice "misbehave" my friends will throw them in the freezer.
    40K players I know will take a d6 and burn it in front of the other dice as a warning to the others.
    My God! That's crazy!

It has been experimentally proven that if you put a die into your mouth before an important roll, the chances of rolling a good score will be much higher.
    I concur.

I always leave them on their maximum values. This is not superstition. It is fact that people do not like to leave their comfort zones. When you put them on max values, they get comfy there. Or, it could be that they're practiced in that side pointing up. Either way.

I also have a very, very unlucky friend named Matt. He has a grab bag of dice from which some other friends pick. There is one putrid green d20 that no one else ever touches. This is his assigned d20. It is proven to be the unluckiest die in existence, even in the hands of others. Furthermore, if he touches someone else's dice, they get passed to each of the three luckiest players at the table for some "quality time." Of course, one night Matt was DM'ing a solo campaign for me and rolled three critical hits in a row on three seperate traps, then maxed the damage roll too, while I was rolling 1s to disable. He said something stupid about karma.

I am generally considered to be the "luckiest" player in my group. I consider this in part due to my "dice training," in part due to my supreme luck, and in part due to my rolling style, to which one DM asked "Where'd you learn to roll dice, shooting craps?"
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I believe that by leaving dice on their maximum number gravity will slowly (and naturally!) weight them, making them more likely to settle in that position. The general wisdom of the rest of my D&D group is that the opposite should be done, that if you leave dice on ones they will want to come up on a different number when you roll them just for variety's sake.

I also have faction-themed dice for Mechwarrior that I swear roll better for their own faction than they do for other factions. They nearly always fail heat effect rolls, though, so I keep spare sets on hand to use for heat.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Personally I find that dice have a limited amount of 20s on them, and every 20 you roll knocks that count one closer to zero. When it hits zero the die can't roll any more 20s, luckily rolling a 1 will add another charge onto that limit.

That and my dice will always roll 1s on Move Silently checks made while invisible.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

I don't have any, but one of my first ever groups had a wiccan girl in it who would always have a new set of dice blessed before she used.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

whenever i roll dice i have to put all the same sided dice in my hands, shake em up, and pick up however many i need without looking. my dice become fickle if i don't keep them randomized.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

22. - Top - End - #22

I keep my dice at maximum too.....must be really common. I also like warming them up from time to time.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

I have certain dice that need to be rolled together. I also have a set I bought at GenCon this year that I keep separate from the others. I tried intermixing them for the dice-orgy that is my dicebox, but they didn't like that. Fickle, bigoted dice that they are, they roll better than any set I've ever seen.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Only blood relatives may touch the red dice. Nonred d6s must be stacked in-line with one another, in such a way that they all show the same number upwards.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    I'm a dice atheist.
    What? You don't beleive in dice?
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Not mine, my players:

The dice always roll higher when the DM is holding them.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Squash Monster View Post
    Not mine, my players:

The dice always roll higher when the DM is holding them.
    That seems to happen with me a lot when I DM. It's kind of bizarre. I'M not trying to kill my players, but my dice are.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Get the signature of a famous rpg developer, preferably Gary Gygax. Rub a die right over it to roll high, left to roll low.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

I leave mine with the high number on top, but that's not superstition, its physics. Plastic is slightly amorphous(?) just like glass, so over time the plastic moves down to the bottom and thusly the side opposite the high number is larger/heavier.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hmm, I keep dice at maximum values until I use them, then they stay on what they rolled last time.

And my dice must be rotated - If I have dice A, B and C and I roll 2d20s per round I'll use AB, then BC, CA, AB, etc...