New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Dragon Druid

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dragon Druid

I'm wondering if there is any Druidy way to become a Dragon. Can a normal Druid do it? Are there any other classes that would accomplish this, as well?
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Dragon Druid

Dragon Wild shape lets you wildshape into a medium dragon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Level 9 Spell "Shapechange", available to Druids, Wizards and Sorcerers. If you have the same spell enscribed as a scroll, both Rogues and Bards can UMD it for themselves.

Similarly, if you had a particularly generous GM, you might be able to work something out with the Cleric's "Miracle" spell - for free that spell lets you duplicate a level 8 spell, so for a cost you might have it duplicate a level 9 spell.

Which subsequently allows Paladin and Rangers to do the same, with a Priestly scroll of Miracle.

GM willing, that's 8 of the 11 main classes who can potentially do it... a better question might be who CAN'T turn into a Dragon, the list is shorter!
    Last edited by Wraith; 2008-02-19 at 09:46 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #4

A Master of Many Forms can do it.

The Dragon Wild Shape feat from the Draconomicon allows you to Wildshape into a medium Dragon.

Frozen Wild Shape from Frostburn lets you turn into any magical beast with the Cold subtype. So you can't turn into a dragon, but you can turn into things that are dragon-ish, like a cryohydra.

A Kobold can take the Dragonwraught feat from Races of the Dragon, which gives them the Dragon type. They can take additional feats and grafts to gain wings, a breath weapon, frightful presence, etc. A Kobold Druid using one of the Wildshape variants would probably accomplish everything you want, or you could use Alter Self.

Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries from the Draconomicon gains the ability to turn into a Dragon as its capstone ability. But that's more of a Monk PrC.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nebo_ View Post
    Dragon Wild shape lets you wildshape into a medium dragon.
    Is that a feat, or an alternate class feature?

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

A feat, from the Draconomicon, IIRC.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Warlock View Post
    become a Dragon.
    Are there any other classes that would accomplish this, as well?
    Well, the Dragon Disciple from the SRD becomes a half-Dragon at the end, but you'll need levels in Sorcerer or another Arcane spellcasting class.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    A Kobold can take the Dragonwraught feat from Races of the Dragon, which gives them the Dragon type. They can take additional feats and grafts to gain wings, a breath weapon, frightful presence, etc. A Kobold Druid using one of the Wildshape variants would probably accomplish everything you want, or you could use Alter Self.
    What are the prerequisites on Dragonwraught? Is it just for Kobolds? What about the Dragon Magic races? Would they apply for this feat because of their Dragonblood thingy, or whatever it's called??

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's also an epic-level Dragon Wild Shape feat from before the Dracominicon, but it's prerequisites are pretty steep if I recall. 30 ranks in Know (Nature) or something. But, you get all sizes.
    ~Joe

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

For Shapechange, some (sane) DM's may require that you have enough ranks in the appropriate Knowledge skill (Arcana for dragons) to "recall details" of a creature you want to change into. The target is 10+(the creature's CR) I think.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Warlock View Post
    What are the prerequisites on Dragonwraught? Is it just for Kobolds? What about the Dragon Magic races? Would they apply for this feat because of their Dragonblood thingy, or whatever it's called??
    In order to take Dragonwraught, you must take it at 1st level, and you must be a kobold. No other race can take it.

Your type is dragon rather than humanoid, and you lose the dragonblood subtype. (Though dragons automatically qualify for any feat/spell/class/etc that requires the dragonblood subtype). You retain all your other subtypes and your kobold racial traits. As a dragon, you are immune to magic sleep and paralysis effects. You can take additional feats to gain a tail attack, wings, and a frightful presence. Or you can buy them and other dragon-stuff (breath weapon, energy resistance) as grafts. Essentially, you can play a small dragon, though the investment for doing so can be pretty steep.