New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: World Building Exercise - Cataclysm of Green

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    So are these replacing fighter, palidans and rangers, as the class says, if so than it can't be uniquly human, and if not than fighters are goingto be a bit shafted.
    Well, the warden already replaced the paladin and I think ranger can stay in because of favored enemy and scout synergy, but this is supposed to replace the fighter. I don't know about the human only, who says only humans are in the Confederacy? Gnorks and Halflings should be able to take the class as well.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    So are these replacing fighter, palidans and rangers, as the class says, if so than it can't be uniquly human, and if not than fighters are goingto be a bit shafted.
    They are indeed replacing (for the Confederacy, at least) most fighters. Rangers can stay, they're quite different. It should be restated at this point that the Confederacy isn't uniquely human, it's just predominantly human. There are orcs, kobolds, halflings, gatelings, gnorks, humans, a few dwarves, and even a few stranger races in the Confederacy. They are, after all, just that- a loosely affiliated confederation of like-minded political bodies. Though most members of the Council Governing are human, it is typically customary to ensure at least one of the members of the Economic Triumvirate is a kobold, and it isn't uncommon for all of them to be. Yes, the Economic, Municipal, Judicial, Knowledge, and Order Triumvirates are all fairly diverse groups. A note on these Triumvirates who form the Council Governing (along with the Overseer Elect): Economic manages taxes and trade abroad (loosely), Municipal governs the growth of cities and creation thereof, Judicial controls the courts and holds the power to (if all three agree) veto certain types of decisions made by the Council, Knowledge runs the public schools, Universities, and Temples (religious and martial), and Order controls the police force and holds the power to keep the others in check.

Why have I been proposing things where the leadership is split up into groups? Cultural memories. Even thousands of years later, culture still holds by the maxim 'absolute power corrupts absolutely' and, as such, people try and avoid giving responsibility to only one person in highly important matters.

The Imperium, of course, disagrees, and is ruled by the Imperator, whose word is law. Under him, governing sectors of each island, are the Preators (Pr-eye-tors) who can issue any laws they want so long as those laws don't conflict with the Imperator's will. This leads to a great disparity in civillian freedoms and amounts of lawfulness on many islands (sort of like Haiti and the Dominican Republic- same island, very different standards of living (unless I'm remembering wrong)).
    Last edited by Vadin; 2008-03-03 at 09:01 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, if martial artist replaces the fighter... downgrade fighter to a NPC class, replacing warrior. That seems like its rightful place, anyway.

Bleah, my brain is fried tonight.

We should come up with hard-and-fast rules for WBL, equipment availability, and spell selection.
    Last edited by tsuuga; 2008-03-03 at 09:09 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Tsuuga: I was actually thinking that too while I typed the post. Great minds, eh?

In other news, what's the community's opinion on magic item availability? My vote is for not very-at level 10, a +2 weapon and a minor wondrous item, a +1 weapon and some magic armor, or something similar would be about appropriate (that's how I run it in my low-magic games, at least. It should also be noted, however, that I don't allow any of the core full casters except sorcerer (who can use any of the core full casters' spells)).

5. - Top - End - #305

I would say no magic weapons unless you can salvage them or afford to purchase them from an antiques vendor.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vadin View Post
    In other news, what's the community's opinion on magic item availability? My vote is for not very-at level 10, a +2 weapon and a minor wondrous item, a +1 weapon and some magic armor, or something similar would be about appropriate (that's how I run it in my low-magic games, at least. It should also be noted, however, that I don't allow any of the core full casters except sorcerer (who can use any of the core full casters' spells)).
    My problem with the limiting of magic items is that it is not very well supported in the system. D&D assumes you will have about WBL, this makes low magic difficult, but not impossible. So, let's think this through logically. First off, 99% of all magic items will be relics from the pre-Green era and because of that, I doubt many will be weapons. In fact, I think there would be extremely few magical weapons, though many of the other forms of magical equipment. Stat boosting items (Steroids-on, steroids-off! Never get caught with Wizzy's Strength boosting sweat bands! Wear them during the competition and take them off before testing and be sure to use Wizzy's magical residue remover to avoid all detection! No more one-shot potions with the risk of being caught, try new Wizzy's Strength-boosting sweat bands, they look completely harmless and are completely washer-friendly! Wizzy's Inc. is not liable for any lawsuits or loss of titles and does not encourage illegal use of this product, use at your own risk. Side effects may include dizziness, diarrhea, abdominal pain, excessive weight gain and loss of anger control. In rare cases subjects became sterile, if you experience difficultly in sexual activity please consult your doctor immediately.) would be very popular as would many other items and could be found in abundance by those willing to take the risk. In fact, the magical item trade could be a very successful business venture and could prove to be an interesting campaign idea, collect items to sell, not use. The trouble then lies with the magical weapons, though there are ways around that as well.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree, most pre-Green items would be wondrous items (Why use makeup when you can Alter! No more messy spots, Alterware takes care of any sort of facial feature!) and stat boosting items, but there would be plenty of industrial use items as well. At-will burning hands? Welding! Gust of Wind? Street cleaning! And so on and so forth. Many of these items the pre-Green people wouldn't even have thought of using as a weapon (no more than we think of a jackhammer as an effective homicide tool), though later people wouldn't see much other use for them.

So, things that are likely: stat-boosters, constant non-combat spells, at-will combat spells in the form of gauntlets/helmets (things you can take on and of easily and don't need a lot of training to use).

On weapons...I can see three groups having magic weapons. The aristocracy (who've been passing down these swords for generations), the police (dazzle arrows-1d4 damage and stun for just as long), and criminals (an old concept but a great one-spell guns (basically just easily reloadable wands)). So you would find these things in old rich high rises and bank vaults, ancient government buildings, and in honest to green ruins/handed down just like the aristocrats did ("This was my daddy's silent night dagger, and someday it'll be yours, too").

But yeah, mundane item enhancement system ftw.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

On weapons...I can see three groups having magic weapons. The aristocracy (who've been passing down these swords for generations), the police (dazzle arrows-1d4 damage and stun for just as long), and criminals (an old concept but a great one-spell guns (basically just easily reloadable wands)). So you would find these things in old rich high rises and bank vaults, ancient government buildings, and in honest to green ruins/handed down just like the aristocrats did ("This was my daddy's silent night dagger, and someday it'll be yours, too").
    Yeah...I kind of thought "wait, criminals..." after I wrote that out, but still. I think they would still be relatively rare, the current powers would have taken as many as possible to arm their militaries and deprive others of them, the good ol' arms race. The spell-gun does seem interesting...though I'm sure ammunition is low.

But yeah, mundane item enhancement system ftw.
    I always feel so arrogant when I promote that system , though it is the best homebrew I've ever made imo, it is completely integrated into 2 D20-based systems that I know of already and it works wonderfully.

9. - Top - End - #309

Great minds, eh?
    Great minds fry alike.

On the matter of iron:
    Spoiler
    Show

I think it's generally assumed that iron is a precious commodity in this setting because the previous civilization mined it out, and what's left is either holding up a building or rusted away. I think this should be reflected. Therefore, stone (usually flint or obsidian) is the weaponmaking material of choice. Steel is a superior material because steel armor (and any type of heavy armor, metal or not) grants the wearer DR/metal. (Steel shields do not grant DR. They cost +5 GP/pound)

Alternately to DR, stone weapons instead have damage penalties as listed in the DMG (-2 to attack and damage, or, and I think this is more reasonable, -1 to light weapons, -2 to 1-handed weapons, -3 to 2-handed weapons.)

{table=head]Armor|DR|new cost
    Chain Shirt|1|225
    Scale Mail|1|200
    Chain Mail|2|450
    Breastplate|2|500
    Splint Mail|2|550
    Banded Mail|3|625
    Half plate|4|1250
    Full Plate|5|2250
    [/table]

Stone is more fragile and harder to shape than steel, and thus is limited in the weapons it can be made into. The following weapons can be made without access to steel:
    {table=head]Simple|Martial|Exotic
    |Throwing Axe|Nunchaku
    Dagger|Light Hammer|Sai
    Punching Dagger|Sap|Siangham
    Light Mace|Light Shield|Dwarven Waraxe
    Club|Battleaxe|Whip|Orc Double Axe
    Heavy Mace|Heavy Shield|Bolas
    Shortspear|Warhammer|Net
    Longspear|Greataxe|Shuriken
    Quarterstaff|Greatclub
    Spear|Ranseur
    Dart|Longbow (regular or composite)
    Javelin|Shortbow (regular or composite)
    Sling|Arrows
    Bullets|Bolts[/table]

Bolas and Saps bypass DR/metal, and are never made with steel. Whips and nets are never made with steel either, and thus never bypass DR/metal. Bows are not made with steel, they instead use the properties of their ammunition. Crossbows do require steel mechanisms, but the cost is negligible.

Steel weapons cost an extra 5 GP per pound.

Well, how does the GM control this? Is wealth-by-level simply reduced by say, half? Do you increase the rate at which you value magic items (say, weapons cost double the cube of the bonus instead of the square). Do they get non-magical neat stuff, like an adamantine weapon? It'd be easy to just throw wealth into tattoos instead of magic items, but I'd kind of like them to be a non-standard thing. If we're taking power from PCs, though, it's got to be taken into account by CR. How common are PC-classed individuals, and at what level?

Changing PC classes to ToB-esque classes that are more on par with mages goes a long way towards balancing a low magic game

If you wanted to, you could just run the campaign world as low-magic up through about level 5. There's magic items out there, but you can't buy them for love or money. You might encounter a few mages, but they're either noncombatants or enemies, and you'll never run into someone over level 3-5 who isn't an exceptional person. Once your party dings level 5, they start to spend time raiding ancient dungeons, and catch up on magic loot. They may be able to get way over the value for such rare goods if they decide to sell, if they find a buyer who can actually afford it. And what are they going to spend it on, anyway? There's no better equipment available to buy than what they've got. This also implies that the art of making magic items has died out.

If you just don't want fighters with flaming swords and exploding necklaces and magic bags of rodents, you can just severely limit the selection of magic items. Swords only come in +1, +2, +3... and maybe have an enchantment that adds an extra 1d6 of the same type of damage that the weapon already does. The same goes for armor. you can only add pluses and fortification. Passive magic items like bracers of giant strength or cloaks of resistance can be allowed... or you can just let players purchase equivalent training for the same amount.

Also, the Dungeonomicon is a pretty cool look at how D&D works as an iron age setting.

Edit: In response to the "magic weapons are a rarity" thing:
    Base D&D is set in a world a lot like europe of 1000-1600 AD, depending on who you ask, right? And our world is 5000 or so years after the demise of an approximately modern civilization, yet buildings are still standing due to anti-weathering and earthquake endurance spells. So, if magic weapons do exist... why not magic weapons from 5400-6000 years ago? Surely, if you're going to invest 1000 GP into a +1 sword (i.e., it stays preternaturally sharp), you'll invest 10 GP to make it rustproof... Chances are, ancient magic weapons are still around. They're just buried in museum vaults, unopened barrows, at the bottom of a lake, or under the rubble of a building (why the crap do I keep typing "buildling"?).

I always feel so arrogant when I promote that system
    Heh. It is a great homebrew. I was trying to recall that when I was writing some of the above... that'll teach me to write for two hours and not check the thread again.
    Last edited by tsuuga; 2008-03-04 at 12:53 AM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Heres a list of standard ranks for kobolds, and what they mean
    Dragonspeaker: the most powerful prophet in a dragonhold, the most respected and influential, must have more levels in sorceror than any other kobold in the hold
    Prophet: Any prophet,a repected and influential postion that is essentialy above the law. must have levels in sorceror
    conciler: one of a circle of royals that governs with the prophets, they are the most powerful and influential non-prophets in the hold. Must be within the tope-(number of members on concil) of the most powerful wizard in the city.
    Royal: any royal that is not one of the above ranks. must be a royal with levels in wizard.
    Hounerd Prismatic Master: The leader of a royals honour guard contigent, they are the most powerful blade scholors in their company. Must be an honour guard with more levels in blade scholor than any other member of the company.
    Hounerd Prismatic. One of a royals honour guard, they generaly retrain thier fighter levels into blade scholor ones. Must be an honour guard with levels in blade scholor.
    Imperial Commander: the high commander of a given Dragon Holds military, He has purple crest and is generaly at least competent in fighting. He must be a purple crest warior with at least five levels in fighter.
    more to come.
    And here are some ideas on kobold religion.
    • The sun is the ultimite evil
    • The dragons were driven underground by horible demons in ages past
    • The dragon who's tomb is closest to the suface is considerd the "guardian" who defends the darkness from the great evil
    • The dragon is gold
    • gold is considerd the "guardian" or "absorbing" metal, whcih spreads light but doeasn't allow it to come through
    • The portal aboveground is blocked by a massive golden wall, a literal "golden gate"
    • gold is the metal of binding, impurity, and protection.
    • gold is not used as thier currency

more to come.
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure how I feel about kobolds being anti-sun. Just because they live underground doesn't mean they hate the light. After all, they function perfectly well both above and below the soil. I'm also not so sure about their dominant religion having a large number of absolutes.

Look at it from the kobold view (all social classes): Nothing in life is certain but the dragon. We are born with loosely affiliated parents, we make friends who can help us succeed, we find joy where and when we can, and we die. This is the underpinning of their lives. They all know it. There's no hiding from it.

At the same time, however, they aren't trapped in their position. Those that show proficiency in magic can ascend to royalty, and those who are skilled in war can escape the mines. For the kobold masses, life is a challenge, and the victors ascend.

Perhaps their religion's view of life after death is somewhat akin to the Roman's: the wicked are punished, others are rewarded, and the best of the best are reborn. Change this around a little and the wicked are punished, the moral rewarded, the unskilled left in a purgatory like realm (which resembles the Material Realm) until they can prove themselves (they can end up good or wicked), and the most gifted are reborn as that which they excelled in.

Not only does this reinforce some of the independence the royals seek to encourage, it also gives them a reason to off their own when they prove incompetent.

Maybe (just maybe) there's actually some truth to this for Kobolds. A few feats they could take that either bring back skills from their previous lives or enhance the skills they have now might not be out of place.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm with Vadin on this one. The kobolds should not fear/hate the sun. The kobolds are knowledgeable and scientific in many ways, they have degraded the least and would realize that their homes are sheltered by the trees and the would realize that the forest thrives because of the sun, the sun is a blessing. I think the kobolds would take a very secular and scientific view of the world, revering only the dragons in any religious manner and even then I doubt they worship them as gods. Some might take on the gods of others, but they are few and only within the Confederacy.

One the subject of the availability of iron, it would actually be very prevalent, even more so than in a natural world. There could have been vehicles or other large, unpreserved objects made of iron. These would rust and create layers and layers of iron-oxide on the jungle floor, waiting for someone to dredge it up and refine it. Other metals like aluminum and titanium would also be less rare than normal settings because they have be pre-refined and thus easier to return to their refined state. The same goes for copper, tin, silver, gold, and platinum. The metals are everywhere, and you don't have to dig far to find them. The deserts would be chock full of metals in a more preserved state thanks to low humidity. As for currency, the barter system would be used by non-structured societies, while the others would use the normal metals as well as a few other items, such as shells and glass in the western desert. Maybe the confederacy could have paper money.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure how I feel about kobolds being anti-sun. Just because they live underground doesn't mean they hate the light. After all, they function perfectly well both above and below the soil. I'm also not so sure about their dominant religion having a large number of absolutes.
    umm.. light sensitivity..
    anyway hows this
    • there used to be a dragon for ever facet of life
    • In the begining, there were three dragons, who interacted and from the interactions came the world, and from the world came more dragons
    • as inteligence progressed, half-dragons began to apear, and over the ages the bloodline became kobolds.
    • The Royals had a spark of thier magic, and thus were the closest to thier power
    • The wariors were gifted with a piece of thier strength, and as such protected the Royals, just as the dragons used thier sregth to protect and augument themselves.
    • The workers were gifted with a shred of thier skill with creation, so they were given the task of building
    • Eventualy humanity and its off-shoots came to the fore, and with them new dragons of belief and morality, well all those before had been pure forces of nature.
    • destruction, fear and pettyness are more often in humanities minds than hope or chivilry, so there was a dragon for every facet of evil while only a few general one for charit, i.e charit versus, greed, embeselement, gluttony, laughing in the face of orphans, etc.
    • THrough this, humantiy came to hate the dragons of thier own creation, and then all dragons.
    • not all evil looks so, indeed the most powerful ones looked angelic, so foolish humans turned to them to destroy the rest of the dragons.
    • and a war raged through heaven...
    • in the end The great ones banished all others to other dimensions, out of space, time, logic, reason, magic and all other aspects of reality.
    • Greatly weakend, they stopped the creation of new dragons and went into a deep coma under the earth
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait...they have light sensitivity? Seriously?

How could they function in a daiurnal society and achieve anything greater than minimum wage?

I'll go so far as to accept, nay, support, that kobolds feel more comfortable in caves and tunnels, but I'm not sure about light sensitivity. Personally, its always felt out of place for everything but purely cavernous monsters. I mean, seriously, why do orcs and kobolds have it? Because they like caves? Bats live in caves and come out at night, but they can actually see in the daylight just fine (they're just easily scared and choose flight over fight in most situations)!

Can we call a vote for removing light sensitivity from kobolds (they don't have infravision, and other races interact with them in the underdark, which would necessitate those others being able to see-from this it can be inferred that kobolds at least maintain regular periods of at least minimal lighting)?

15. - Top - End - #315
    Dwarf in the Playground

@ Vadin: I disagree with your version of the Confederate goverment. I think the Confederacy should be very loose. Sure everyone sends a representative to the capital, but they can do pretty much whatevre they feel like. more like the UN then the USA.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait...they have light sensitivity? Seriously?

How could they function in a daiurnal society and achieve anything greater than minimum wage?

I'll go so far as to accept, nay, support, that kobolds feel more comfortable in caves and tunnels, but I'm not sure about light sensitivity. Personally, its always felt out of place for everything but purely cavernous monsters. I mean, seriously, why do orcs and kobolds have it? Because they like caves? Bats live in caves and come out at night, but they can actually see in the daylight just fine (they're just easily scared and choose flight over fight in most situations)!

Can we call a vote for removing light sensitivity from kobolds (they don't have infravision, and other races interact with them in the underdark, which would necessitate those others being able to see-from this it can be inferred that kobolds at least maintain regular periods of at least minimal lighting)?
    I think that it probably adapted along with the darkvision, anyway, I think that the workers were generaly miners, living exclusivly underground, and the surviving Royals were mostly Archeoligist researching the Dragon0Barrows, and other such stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aptera View Post
    @ Vadin: I disagree with your version of the Confederate goverment. I think the Confederacy should be very loose. Sure everyone sends a representative to the capital, but they can do pretty much whatevre they feel like. more like the UN then the USA.
    I think you're right. Looking over the triumvirates Vadin drew up, its seem like a bit much. It should be closer to the UN or more appropriately, the EU. Currently there are 5 triumvirates: Economic, Municipal, Judicial, Knowledge, and Order. Economic and Judicial I have no problem with at all. A joined economy makes trade so much easier and Order would ensure a set of standards. Policing, education, and creation of cities should be left up to the cities and groups that make up the Confederacy, it is a Confederacy after all, not a nation. I would suggest that a military or protection triumvirate make it three triumvirates, it is always a good idea to have one large military rather than a number of smaller militaries with allegiance to smaller states instead of the whole.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

It is very loose. The individual political units are all independent, but they all also belong to the Confederacy. The Triumvirates are just like committees in the UN, but more permanent. People get elected to them every other year, and they head up various organizations that work within and among all of the different city states. They don't wield absolute and broad reaching power, but they do strongly advise things and directly control several institutions (like the small standing army (to which each city sends a few troops), the public primary schools (sometimes lovingly dubbed "Wizard's Charities", as they are staffed almost entirely by volunteers from arcane university (kind of like the peace corps-crazy college kids mostly)), the universities, and the exchange rate (their paper currency's (it has trace amounts of magic to prevent forgery) worth in ounces of mythril)). Beyond that, the political bodies are all independent.

But yeah, the number of triumvirates could be cut down. I actually originally had five up with different names, but then changed them all around when typing and was too lazy to fix it when I realized some were doing the same thing. Also, I didn't want another three thing after the Wars, Weirds, and Wise. Maybe we could cut it down to four?
    Last edited by Vadin; 2008-03-04 at 08:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Vadin: Sorry for misunderstanding you. The way you described it wasn't clear.

Municipal and order seem too centralized for my tastes. Any village should be able to call itself a city, whether or not they send a guy along the treacherous roads to the capital (we really need names) and their vote is worth anything is entirely different. Why don't we have a Military (also in charge of Road wardens) Knowledge, Economic. maybe magic? To make sure villages get sorcerers and that powerful evil magic items are not being passed around willy nilly. And Prophecies.

looking at the map I notice that the center of the Confederacy is a swamp, which I originally thought was a lake. I suggest the confederacy be organized around this swamp, and that much of it have navigable paths. Navigable by shallow bottomed boats like canoes or Kayaks or just mats. I now have this idea for the capital city to be at the place where the swamp narrows away from it's ,large lake. and built on a few relatively dry Islands. But most of its people live on large mats of reeds, sometimes piled high with dirt for gardens, but often just left dry floating on the water. if you guys don't want it to be the capital then i think we can use it as another city in the Confederacy,

My idea for Reed City:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reed City is one of the larger cities in the Confederation. It lies at the point where the swamp narrows forming what looks lie a river which then flows into the sea. here the swamp become deeper and more easily navigable and Reed City represents as far as a ship can go up before having to unload its cargo and put it on a canoe. Reed city is bit upon six major islands spread out in an arc, with the tallest one (15ft off the ground!) in the west to the lower one in the east and with the largest in the center.. There are also a smattering of some small natural bumps like sandbanks and the odd rock. Each of these islands is covered in buildings, and they total about a square mile. They are also not where most people live. Reed City is actually dominated by a massive series of platforms made from the giant reeds* that grow around the lake reaching 8-10ft. tall and a few inches thick. These are woven and then placed attached to the islands. Houses of reeds are built on these mats and boats are also built. Because portions of the mats and houses have to be replaced every year buy reed city looks like a strange combination of greens and browns plus the blue and green water that surrounds it.

Most people in Reed City boat their way to other islands and often other houses, if they don't need something dry. Since the city constantly deals with floods most things in peoples houses are high above the floor and waterproof meaning that most people can just swim to a place. Either way the area around Reed City is filled with boats of all sizes. Ther is no “market” like in other cities only a confused garble of boats swarming around looking for customers. Boats of, fruit, ducks and geese, strange books and magical items float around the center of the isles. Smaller boats float around this confused hectic mass where the real business of the city takes place, in the back tea boats where old men and women play dice games and the rafters are thick with smoke. Or in the strange magic shops thick with odd smells and deep hushed voices

*Much bigger then earth reeds. Just a strange native fauna.

Randomness done.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

looking at the map I notice that the center of the Confederacy is a swamp, which I originally thought was a lake. I suggest the confederacy be organized around this swamp, and that much of it have navigable paths. Navigable by shallow bottomed boats like canoes or Kayaks or just mats. I now have this idea for the capital city to be at the place where the swamp narrows away from it's ,large lake. and built on a few relatively dry Islands. But most of its people live on large mats of reeds, sometimes piled high with dirt for gardens, but often just left dry floating on the water. if you guys don't want it to be the capital then i think we can use it as another city in the Confederacy
    It isn't really a swamp, just very moist. Only the rainforest area has significant amounts of water covering the floor. However, the Reed City could work well at the lake.

I've decided to go ahead and position some settlements:
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]#|Name|Affiliation|Racial Make Up
    1||Confederacy|Human, Halfling, Goblin, Gnork, Kobold
    2||Confederacy|Human, Halfling, Goblin, Gnork, Kobold
    3||Confederacy|Human, Halfling, Goblin, Gnork, Kobold
    4||Confederacy|Human, Halfling, Goblin, Gnork, Kobold
    5|University City|Confederacy|Human, Halfling, Goblin, Gnork, Kobold
    6|Aldrheim|Confederacy|Human, Halfling, Goblin, Gnork, Kobold
    7||Confederacy|Human, Halfling, Goblin, Gnork, Kobold
    8||Confederacy|Human, Halfling, Goblin, Gnork, Kobold
    9|||
    10|||
    11|||
    12|||
    13|Lich's Tower|Independent|All
    14|Reed City||
    15|||
    16|||
    17|Villtier|Independent|Halfling
    18|Jundom|Independent|Human, Half-Elf
    19|Tarthana wisGathril|United Elven Tribes|Red Elf
    20|O'Sahr|Independent|Dwarf
    21|Newera City|Imperium|Human, Gnork
    22|Boat Town|Independent|Human, Dwarf, Gnork
    23||Imperium|Human, Gnork
    24||Imperium|Human, Gnork[/table]

I can add or remove settlements as you guys wish. I listed the Affiliations as I assumed they would be. So, start filling out the table.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

GAH! I thought the Confederacy was much farther north. I feel very stupid.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Before anyone else grabs this one...

17 is Villtier (VILL-TEAR), a small but prominent halfling community. But isn't that in a lake, you might ask? Why, yes. Yes it is. Over a few generations, vines were coaxed across the lake until they formed, in the center, a fairly impressive lattice. Small trees were then placed across, and the vines grew around those, strengthening the structure. With a firm base, soil was added on top until the whole thing resembled an island. Plants were then encouraged to grow. The vine base, at this point, couldn't support the island growing on top of it. It began to sag, and the island dipped into the water. With access to huge amounts of water, the young saplings on the island grew large very quickly. Seeing the results of their handiwork, the halflings added sails to the bases of many outlying trees and placed a tiller underneath the island. In essence, they had created a small, moving section of jungle capable of supporting a family. They repeated the process many times. Finally, each family lived upon its own floating island. More were created as markets, workshops, temples, and more. The islands were then linked via a series of rope bridges, and a master command island placed at the front, capable of steering Villtier and raising/lowering the sails with magic.

Night falls as you approach the lake. Instead of the empty expense of water you expected, however, you see a forest. A forest of lights and what appears to be flags. Unable to reach these islands in the water, you and your companions camp on the shore, hoping to learn more about what could be the renowned city of Villtier in the morning. As the sun dawns, you rise, eager for answers. Unfortunately, this part of the lake seems empty. There's no sign of any floating city. Could it have been an illusion, some reawekening of ancient magics? Maybe, you think. But...wait...of in the distance there...is that a giant turtle? Or is it...excited to have tracked down the elusive city, you and your friends make a mad dash for Villtier, city on the lake.

And yes, it does move around outside of location 17. That's just where it started. I'm not sure about the fluff (I'm feeling a tad under the weather), though. The place is kind of mythic, but at the same time very real, much like Chichen Itza. Astounding and unbelievable, yet all the more true because of it.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Firbolg in the Playground

Grabbing 18.

I'll write some fluff for it once I finish homework, though I already have my ideas.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

24. - Top - End - #324

This goes way back to the first time you posted this map, but... what color is olive yellow? I'm... guessing it's the color of the four blobs near the cities of the confederacy?

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tsuuga View Post
    This goes way back to the first time you posted this map, but... what color is olive yellow? I'm... guessing it's the color of the four blobs near the cities of the confederacy?
    Correct, Olive Yellow (signifying savanna/grasslands) is the color of the four blobs where the Confederacy is as well as the area around #21 and #22 and the small central bit in the northern island.

@ Aptera: I figured you were confused, which is part of the reason I made that map.

@ Vadin, Interesting, though it does defeat the purpose of the map...figures you do something like that

26. - Top - End - #326

I call 13.

13 is a two mile high skyscraper, one of the most well-preserved in the entire world. The reason it's so well preserved is because the block on which it was built was one of those small pockets of space unaffected by the greening. At the top of the building is the glass-walled penthouse discussed on the first page (like Gail Wynand's penthouse, for anyone who's read The Fountainhead). The lich who lives in the immaculate, high-culture penthouse is true neutral, brought on by centuries of self-imposed isolation. He views the entire building as his personal property, from the ground floor to the glass-walled apartment at the top.

The lich is the king, the judge, and the lawmaker within his domain. Any person who wants to live in his building, a great thing because of the protection he provides them, must first pass an extensive interview process held by the lich personally. Less than 5% of applicants are allowed entrance.

Within lives a small community, untouched by violence or savagery. All of the menial labor is performed by animated skeletons, including basic guard work and tending the high-altitude orchards which dot many of the middle stories. The lich himself would be friendly, approachable, and on first name terms with every single inhabitant of the building. He would also keep a small personal library of magical and historical tomes, and once every century he would take an apprentice to study under his tutelage.

Nobody would know more about the past than this community. But it is almost completely isolationist, meaning that information doesn't leak out. The one thing which the lich refuses to share any information on, even with his citizens, is the greening. He goes silent and sad for a few minutes after being asked anything about it.

This would be the fourth possible origin of a wizard, after the Kobold lands, the Imperium, and the Confederacy.
    Last edited by jagadaishio; 2008-03-05 at 10:10 PM.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

27. - Top - End - #327
    Firbolg in the Playground

Settlement 18 is a smallish town, mainly consisting of humans, but with a smattering of half-elves. Ruled by an elected Mayor and an appointed Captain, Settlement 18, known as Jundom, primarily consists of buildings of wood, being the most accessible resource. Jundom is just outside what once was the City, with almost all traces now gone. A great wooden wall was built across the cities border with the forest, surrounding the North, East, and South sides of the city, however, to the West, there is no border, because the main enemy of the Jundomer's are the Elves. Elven raids are the primary source of death among the Jundomer's, and they live in constant fear, and alertness, ready to grab arms and rush to the Barracksroom. It is a sad existance, as two struggling culture's combat each other.

I'll write more tomorrow.

And now, it's tomorrow.

Full Democracy only exists with small, stable populations. Though this town is small, it is not stable. However, it's small enough for some level of democracy. Every so often, at no certain interval, but usually every few months, a new Mayor is elected. The Mayor officially holds noones council but his own, but often is unnofficially advised by his close friends.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2008-03-06 at 07:30 PM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarthana wisGathril literally: City [of] (disordered/chaotic/violent) Death there is no perfect translation

"Why am I alive?" I asked that question to myself for the past few weeks, expecting to be tortured, beaten, raped, eaten, something but nothing happened. It has been two, maybe three weeks since those beasts raided my village, only I survived. I must have been special in some way, that's why they kept me alive, but for what? Later that night they took me out of my cage, those savage beasts looked at me like some sort of prey, I could tell those sex-starved men longed to take me, but controlled themselves. A beautiful woman approaches, she is heavily tattooed like the men, but is graceful and terrifying, maybe it is the squad of loyal men who follow to her with savage eyes and obedient eyes. She orders something in their strange tongue and immediately I am bound, hooded, and gagged, I hear their hungry breathing. Strong arms carry me, to where, I know not. After a long travel, night then day, now night again, the hood is removed and I gasp. There before me is a splendid city, a meshing a grand homes of the ancients, cleaned and refurbished. Gold and sliver line the streets and a temple. It is to the temple that I am carried and their I am offered to a great queen of these elves. I join the mass of other offerings, all female like myself, but of varying races. Soon the men howl and the women chant, the queen speaks and the elven men grab us, silver blades...I am horrified, the torture, I scream until I loss my voice, I want to die, but I must wait, three days and nights they say....kill me now...

Tarthana wisGathril, the name is spoken in awe and wonder, a fabled city of the savage elves, a city of grandeur and terror. It is said that the streets are paved with silver and gold with rivers of blood flowing through the streets. Rumors say they capture females of all races to torture, rape, and sacrifice in the name of elven superiority. The city is built out of the ancient elven homes preserved by their former owners and restored by the most powerful elven tribe lead by the Great Mother. All of the riches of the elves are stored here and it is here that the elves have their council, this city of death and carnage.

29. - Top - End - #329

I claim #6 in the name of Aldrheim.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Since no-one seems to have any complaints about my last list on kobold mytholagy, heres the remaining dragons
    Spoiler
    Show

The Great guardian, The diomond Wyrm
    Spoiler
    Show

The dragon closest to the surface, HE is asocieted with protection, walls, and abruation,
    Royals view.
    The base, the unbreakable wall to fall back on, the basic structure of the universe. He is the avatar of this. His thoughts are of guardianship and rebuilding, he seems to have sensed the Green even in his coma.
    Warior View
    He is our patron saint, The lord of protection. Just as his skin breaks that which tries to cut it, so shall we break those who try and destroy us. He held the great bastions during the War, and led them with justice and wisdom.
    Worker View
    He is the master of guardians, and by exstension the Lord of traps. He Protects the loyal and destroys the agressors. He is the lord of gateways and doors.

sorry couldn't finsh this yet, I finish him tonight.
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2008-03-06 at 03:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp