New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Building...?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Building...?

I want to have a house/lodge in a game I'm playing, but can't find anything about how to do this. Are there any rules out there for this?

The building I'd like would be a two story log cabin with a common area in the bottom with a small room and bedrooms uptop. I'd be hiring skilled workers to do this, considering my character is definately not a carpenter.

Any ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Building...?

Page 101 of the DMG has a table with prices for different types of buildings, and the Goods and Services section in the PHB has prices for different types of laborers. The only thing you'd need to do is figure out how long the construction would take.

Of course, there's also the Stronghold Builder's Guide, which is chock full of this sort of stuff, though it's probably more detailed than you need for building a simple house.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Perducci View Post
    I want to have a house/lodge in a game I'm playing, but can't find anything about how to do this. Are there any rules out there for this?

The building I'd like would be a two story log cabin with a common area in the bottom with a small room and bedrooms uptop. I'd be hiring skilled workers to do this, considering my character is definately not a carpenter.

Any ideas?
    Draw out your idea on graph paper and ask your DM how much it will cost to build. See if he/she has the stronghold builders guide to help guide the decision.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by crimson77 View Post
    Draw out your idea on graph paper and ask your DM how much it will cost to build. See if he/she has the stronghold builders guide to help guide the decision.
    I'm going to second that. The SBG is a really nice reasource, and pretty much a must-have if you are realistically trying to go into this kind of detail. It does a great job of it IMO.