New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default The Undead Question

I have a couple of questions regarding rebuking and spells that affect undead.

Assume I am a wizard. I have cast command Undead on some poor zombie shmuck. He's now my slave...ish. Then some uppity evil cleric comes by and Rebukes my newfound unintelligent undead. What happens?

Now lets assume I'm a lich, and an uppity wizard comes for me this time. He casts Command Undead onto me for some stupid reason. and I fail my save horribly.Can I cast Comman Undead on myself, auto fail the save, and regain my ability to hate and destroy said wizard? Would it change matters if I ahd it contingencied, so I had it cast before the wizards spell got me?
    (Yes, I know I can just counterspell, but assume I'm a dumb lich.)
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Fear is only a Dream – so dream, my little one, dream” – R.K. Milholland

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Undead Question

Quote Originally Posted by McMindflayer View Post
    I have a couple of questions regarding rebuking and spells that affect undead.

Assume I am a wizard. I have cast command Undead on some poor zombie shmuck. He's now my slave...ish. Then some uppity evil cleric comes by and Rebukes my newfound unintelligent undead. What happens?
    They get rebuked. Just as if you were controlling the undead after animating them.

Now lets assume I'm a lich, and an uppity wizard comes for me this time. He casts Command Undead onto me for some stupid reason. and I fail my save horribly.Can I cast Comman Undead on myself, auto fail the save, and regain my ability to hate and destroy said wizard? Would it change matters if I ahd it contingencied, so I had it cast before the wizards spell got me?
    (Yes, I know I can just counterspell, but assume I'm a dumb lich.)
    You could only cast it if the wizard who was commanding you told you to.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

You can't command yourself. Now, if your familiar noticed you were acting strangely, and pointed out it might be advisable to hit yourself with a greater dispel, the effect would go away. That's a reasonable action to take, under any circumstances, unless you were specifically commanded not to. Even then, it would not be outside the realm of reason for that order to provoke a charisma check.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    They get rebuked. Just as if you were controlling the undead after animating them.
    Checking, I'd say it's an Opposed Charisma check - as Rebuking is Supernatural, it's a magical mental control effect (even if it is necromancy), just like Command/Control undead. See below for the quote on mental control effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    You could only cast it if the wizard who was commanding you told you to.
    That one I have to disagree on - nothing under the Control Undead spell prevents the controlled undead from taking actions on their own initiative (other than that they don't attack their controller) unless the undead is told not to.

Under normal circumstances, a critter under two control-type effects getting conflicting orders is subject to:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Magic Overview, Casting Spells, Combining Magical Effects, Stacking Effects
    Multiple Mental Control Effects: Sometimes magical effects that establish mental control render each other irrelevant, such as a spell that removes the subjects ability to act. Mental controls that don’t remove the recipient’s ability to act usually do not interfere with each other. If a creature is under the mental control of two or more creatures, it tends to obey each to the best of its ability, and to the extent of the control each effect allows. If the controlled creature receives conflicting orders simultaneously, the competing controllers must make opposed Charisma checks to determine which one the creature obeys.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

That's a big one, it's kinda like 'Can a charmed person realize their charmed and get it dispelled?'

To my best understanding, you can't; Either you're unaware of it (such as if you're charmed) or you're unable to (Such as if you're dominated).

Now if you had party member trying to convince you that you're charmed or whatever, I can see some sort of roll coming up to see if you figure it out.
    "I am going to hack your computer. Into tiny pieces."