New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: squishy caster?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default squishy caster?

quick question, we all know a wizards lousy hit die are usually attributed to studying rather than exercise, but why sorcerers, they just wake up and start casting fireballs, why do they get a d4 hit die, wouldn't a d6 or something be better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: squishy caster?

Haha, that makes an odd amount of sense. Wizards are more powerful than sorcerers, technically, so I guess it would even be a good way to even it out.

Decent houserule, on one condition: raise the bard's hit die to d8s, which wouldn't even overpower them!

Woopie.

Edit: Nice avatar.
    Last edited by SadisticFishing; 2008-02-26 at 12:22 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

The Battle Sorcerer Addresses this issue fairly well. I tend to think the Battle sorcerer should outright replace the normal sorcerer since its more well balanced versus the wizard.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hario View Post
    The Battle Sorcerer Addresses this issue fairly well. I tend to think the Battle sorcerer should outright replace the normal sorcerer since its more well balanced versus the wizard.
    Gah, so few spells known....

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

That is an interesting point about Sorcerers. I tend to just assume that the amount of combat training the class gets would affect HD (admittedly, that doesn't explain why Experts get the same HD and BAB as Rogues).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Yes, HP's in D&D represent more that just physical punishment the body can take. Even a Barbarian with 6 CON gets 1D12 hp's. It represents the combat awareness the PC possesses and her ability to shift blows off armor, move out of the way, or just plain out ignore the pain of a wound. It's a very amorphous and somewhat all encompassing figure that D&D just calls HP's.

Wizards don't get good HP's because they spend most of the time studying and figuring out how to tell physics to stuff it! Sorcerers aren't studying, but they do have to figure out new spells and concentrate on their innate ability more than the layperson. And this focus inward could represent a lack of combat awareness outward. Battle Sorcerer loses some of one to gain some of the other.

Experts have the same HP's as a Rogue because it's in the Experts description of:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The expert can be a jack-of-all-trades or a master of a limited area of expertise. Based on his selection of skills and feats, he can focus on diplomatic matters, stealth, combat, wilderness survival, thievery, or any of a number of critical tasks.

At first glance, the expert appears similar to the rogue; it shares that class's combat ability, wide range of class skills, and tendency toward simple weapons and light armor. Unlike a rogue, however, the expert has no special class features, but instead defines his specialty by his selection of bonus feats.
    It's right in there that he has the same combat ability as the Rogue, hence same HP's and other traits.
    "I am bleeding, making me the victor!" - Wimp Lo, 'Kung Pow'
    "Nonsense! I would never do such a thing unless you were already having been going to do that!" - Professor Hubert Farnsworth A, 'Futurama'

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for pointing that out (I'd forgotten about what the SDR said about them).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show