New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default How many subtypes can a PC attain?

Is there a limit? and if not how many can you name that can happen to a PC?

Is it possible to have a fire and cold subtype at the same time?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: How many subtypes can a PC attain?

As far as I know, there's no limit in the number of subtypes if you can find a way /ways to do 'em. Obvious ones will be adding templates to gain multiple Augmented ~~~ subtypes, but it'll be harder to get any further than that.

There're spells that give you permanent subtype, but since they're permanent not instantaneous, it's vulnerable to dispel attmepts. Anyway, RAW you can have both Cold and Fire subtypes, yes.
    Keith Baker, on the age of Erandis d'Vol:
    Spoiler
    Show

... The miniature of her certainly makes her look older, but personally I like young Erandis both on the basis that the purge of the line started before she could grow into her full powers, and also because it lets her and Jaela have a vicious catfight sometime.

Maybe I'm playing a wrong game.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know how many subtypes you can have. Quite a few. Look at some of the less elegant builds on the WoTC CharOp boards; there are a bunch of them that use various templates so that they can meet the prerequisites for other templates and thus end up with things like undead half-dragon dragon fiendish fire constructs and suchlike.

As for the fire and cold subtypes: ask your DM. I haven't seen an official ruling on it. I'd allow it: the result would be a creature that takes extra damage to fire and cold and immune to fire and cold, so the net effect is just that it's immune to fire and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Is there a limit? and if not how many can you name that can happen to a PC?

Is it possible to have a fire and cold subtype at the same time?
    No. Lots. Yes, there are feats from Sandstorm and Frostburn that give you the fire and cold subtypes when you rage. There is nothing stopping from taking both feats.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Remember the real D&D motto:

"There are no limits except those you set. Even and especially not on the basis of common decency/sanity."
    In the time it took you to read this sig line, I've stolen your wallet, wooed your woman, and eaten your sandwich.

Fun Facts!:

Spoiler
    Show
    -Liscensed to kill in 49 of the 50 United States (I'm gunning for you Ohio!)
    -Is Immune to Nerd Rage
    -

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Nebo_ View Post
    No. Lots. Yes, there are feats from Sandstorm and Frostburn that give you the fire and cold subtypes when you rage. There is nothing stopping from taking both feats.
    Actually I was thinking about the two spells that permanently add the respective subtypes. But Kudos on knowing what I was thinking.