New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Re: Traces of humanity after 250 million years

Over the next 5 billion years, Sol will burn steadily hotter, until it reaches the end of its main sequence and becomes a red giant.

Long before that time is up...long before even the 250 million year time frame you are discussing, earth will have grown far too hot to sustain life as we know it. I forget how long now, but I seem to remember it being on the scale of a hundred million years or so.

Humans have only been around for a million years or so, so it's rather stretching our luck to suggest we'll still be around by that time anyway. Of course, we can't find much for artifacts of civilization more than 3 thousand years old or so, with a few very rare items dating back 6-10 thousand years. You think we ever built any notable civilizations in the 990,000 years prior to that we existed? I imagine we did. Good luck ever learning about them, though.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

However, you also have to bear in mind that they figure close to half of all humans who have ever lived are currently alive, so we are currently making a much greater impact than we ever have before... by a long shot. Also there weren't many civilizations leaving things around to find more than 3,000 years ago and we've got a fare bit of stuff from the once that were back at least 5,000. Although that's rather that's rather inconsequential compared to the time frame of the initial post. All things considered though, I think we have surprisingly good knowledge about early life on earth.

Now, if you want to play around with strange things that'll happen to the earth in the future, the rotation of the planet is slowing down so that eventually there will be one face that is constantly facing the sun and one out to space. It'll sorta be like how there only one side of the moon ever faces Earth. granted we're only losing 2.2 seconds off the day every 100,000 years. But you know a world with a day side and a night side could make for interesting adventuring. All habitation would have to be some where in the dusk zone between the two.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    Over the next 5 billion years, Sol will burn steadily hotter, until it reaches the end of its main sequence and becomes a red giant.

Long before that time is up...long before even the 250 million year time frame you are discussing, earth will have grown far too hot to sustain life as we know it. I forget how long now, but I seem to remember it being on the scale of a hundred million years or so.

Humans have only been around for a million years or so, so it's rather stretching our luck to suggest we'll still be around by that time anyway. Of course, we can't find much for artifacts of civilization more than 3 thousand years old or so, with a few very rare items dating back 6-10 thousand years. You think we ever built any notable civilizations in the 990,000 years prior to that we existed? I imagine we did. Good luck ever learning about them, though.
    Ice core samples indicate that we are the only civilization so far to make extensive use of fossil fuels.

If you're suggesting that there were advanced civilizations before us, how do you suppose they made it without using fossil fuels for energy?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Ice core samples indicate that we are the only civilization so far to make extensive use of fossil fuels.

If you're suggesting that there were advanced civilizations before us, how do you suppose they made it without using fossil fuels for energy?
    Oh, not as advanced. But remember, the pyramids of egypt and mt. rushmore and similar stone monuments will be around long after all other traces of our existence fade...i'm sure similar things have been made by other ancient civilizations before recorded history.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow, no one has mentioned this yet. I believe we all agree that 250 million is too far to be realistic. Go read Shannara. There are a handful of ruined things (titanium girders in a handful of skyscrapers, plexiglass, concrete cities that have petrified)... And a mad computer with all of our current knowledge built to protect humanity, but not realising that the current civilization is humanity, and so attacking them with it's robos... Antrax anyone? A few books copied generation after genartion by the very old that contain knowlidge (maybe the Bible, the Quaran, the Torah, the Lord of the Rings, a few Reference books, D&D 7th edition...) world altering stuff no one wants to forget. And legends that one day God will free them from the Metal-ones...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

I was actually under the impression it was closer to a billion years. If it is only 250 million, we should feel honoured to be part of the last, or second last group of animals to ever dominate the planet.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
    I was actually under the impression it was closer to a billion years. If it is only 250 million, we should feel honoured to be part of the last, or second last group of animals to ever dominate the planet.
    Personally, I'm hoping for last and that some of us get out of dodge first. Not that I expect it.

Of course, perhaps we could end up with some magical vancian scenario (I'm sorry, I've just been reading Vance...)
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Bait View Post
    Personally, I'm hoping for last and that some of us get out of dodge first. Not that I expect it.

Of course, perhaps we could end up with some magical vancian scenario (I'm sorry, I've just been reading Vance...)
    If we don't kill ourselves off within the next hundred years or so humanity as a species will survive. If we were inclined we could have a self sustaining colony on mars inside of 10 years. Same with the moon. And Venus.

Hell if we really wanted to we could send off ships to colonize other worlds. Although that would mean generational ships and a 50+ year trip.

And once humanity is off Earth with are immune to most things. And once we are out of the Sol system we are safe from everything as a species (unless FTL travel becomes possible, if that happens some plagues and bio weapons might stand a chance).
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Bait View Post
    I would. Look at how far we've gone after a measly what, 30,000 years?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutee View Post
    I would. Look at how far we've gone after a measly what, 30,000 years?
    Trouble is, now we're up against Physics. And that's a beast. Because it may not be possible to travel faster than light. Ever. Faster computers, nanotech, etc etc might be possible eventually, but faster than light travel is only a chance, even given indefinite time.

But after 250 million years, you aren't going to find anything that's not buried. Fossils will be pervasive. Bits of pottery underground, Concrete. Assuming it's not subducted, of course. But concrete, with the rebar rusted out and buried could survive for 250 million years. Only fossilized and buried in rock, though.
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It really depends on what we left behind to maintain the things we made. A nanotech colony with a dumb or fully functional AI could have mindlessly (or with utter boredom after the first few million years) maintained any number of things by itself. Otherwise, yeah. 250 million years is WAY too large a timeframe for much of anything to have survived save for space tech. Maybe a partial Dyson sphere, etc - imagine a night sky with NO stars save for the planets, except in certain areas.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FlyMolo View Post
    Trouble is, now we're up against Physics. And that's a beast. Because it may not be possible to travel faster than light. Ever. Faster computers, nanotech, etc etc might be possible eventually, but faster than light travel is only a chance, even given indefinite time.
    Well, even given that FTL travel is impossible, that doesn't mean galactic colonization is also impossible. Combine some sort of mind uploading technology with von Neumann probes and you could easily seed the galaxy with human, or at least posthuman, life, even if it involves interstellar trips that take hundreds or thousands of years.

Obviously "easily" is a relative term here.

Oh, and, on another note, wikipedia puts the point at which Earth will grow too hot to support current forms of life at about 900 million years from now, though obviously there could be some incremental increases in temperature between now and then.
    Recent Homebrew Projects:
    The Somaturge - Base Class
    Reaper - Template.
    Modular Races - Rules variant

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post

And once humanity is off Earth with are immune to most things. And once we are out of the Sol system we are safe from everything as a species (unless FTL travel becomes possible, if that happens some plagues and bio weapons might stand a chance).
    Actually, there are quite a few things that are capable of terminating a small, interstellar empire. If two neutron stars were to collide or a supernova occur nearby, for instance, humanity's burgeoning little empire would be annihilated.

Of course, if we have FTL, it's a whole different story. There is absolutely nothing you cannot outrun so a supernova or neutron star collision, while probably quite deadly for anyone who doesn't happen to possess a superluminal ship, won't mean the end of humanity.
    Last edited by Neutrino; 2008-03-08 at 08:31 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Because it may not be possible to travel faster than light.
    It is not possible to travel faster than light. That's already proven.

However, it's also fairly well proven that one can create "shortcuts" through space and time. The chance is not that we'll find a way to move faster than light, because that can't be done. The chance is that we'll learn to do artificially what we already know happens naturally - curving ("Warping") space so that we've got a shorter route to travel.

As for other things that can kill a small interstellar civilization, a gamma ray burst would still make short work of us.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Banned

When has humanity not been facing physics?
    Last edited by Rutee; 2008-03-08 at 09:55 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76

It is not possible to travel faster than light. That's already proven.

However, it's also fairly well proven that one can create "shortcuts" through space and time. The chance is not that we'll find a way to move faster than light, because that can't be done. The chance is that we'll learn to do artificially what we already know happens naturally - curving ("Warping") space so that we've got a shorter route to travel.
    Actually if causality is true as currently written no version of FTL travel (even wormholes and hyperspace and the like) is possible. But no one has proven causality (and it won't be disproven until we get FTL travel or communications).
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Causality is already partially untrue, it started that way.

Gravity (caused by the bending of space around massive objects) is not subject to the limits of lightspeed. Changes in gravitational fields affect all objects affected by them instantly.
    Last edited by Talya; 2008-03-08 at 03:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Gravity (caused by the bending of space around massive objects) is not subject to the limits of lightspeed. Changes in gravitational fields affect all objects affected by them instantly.
    Got a reference? I have heard both that gravity is light speed limited and that it isn't light speed limited from people who should know what they are talking about. If gravity has actually been proven to be ftl well then that solves a big problem.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Got a reference? I have heard both that gravity is light speed limited and that it isn't light speed limited from people who should know what they are talking about. If gravity has actually been proven to be ftl well then that solves a big problem.
    Several. It's a bit disputed, but the general consensus is that gravity propagates instantly, as Isaac Newton predicted centuries ago. A few years ago a couple scientists claimed to have proven that Gravity propagates at the speed of light, but peer review didn't agree with them.

http://metaresearch.org/cosmology/speed_of_gravity.asp
    http://metaresearch.org/cosmology/gr...peed_limit.asp
    http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ed_030116.html
    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...rav_speed.html

20. - Top - End - #80

Several. It's a bit disputed, but the general consensus is that gravity propagates instantly, as Isaac Newton predicted centuries ago. A few years ago a couple scientists claimed to have proven that Gravity propagates at the speed of light, but peer review didn't agree with them.

http://metaresearch.org/cosmology/speed_of_gravity.asp
    http://metaresearch.org/cosmology/gr...peed_limit.asp
    http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ed_030116.html
    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...rav_speed.html
    Again, its still very disputed. If gravity propagates FTl it ****s up General Relativity in a big way. Experimental evidence has been claimed by both sides to support their position but as far as I know, no definitive answer or consensus has emerged.

I am personally against causality (at least the its impossible to send information FTL in any way) but its not a decided issue.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

First, I just want to say, this is such a cool thread. Hooray for unmitigated geekery.

Next: What about gold? Barring Aqua Regia, it doesn't really react with anything. It's highly susceptible to erosion and reshaping, of course, but if the planet hasn't been inhabited in the meantime, an archaeological dig might unearth gold bars that still have the bank marks of modern financial institution stamped into them. Or not, 250 million is really a long time...

Speaking of which, to the OP, is there a reason it's 250 million specifically? 250 thousand would be enough to completely wipe surface features clean of marks of civilization, and a lot of evolution to happen on whatever's left around, but there could still be a few ruins and monuments and physical traces. 250 million will mean animals will be biologically unrecognizeable, and practically nothing will realistically have survived to give you the "Oh crap, it's earth!" moment.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

No trace of humanity would be left on earth.

Now in space is a potentially different story.
    I think the only thing left in 250 million years would be the remains of the moon landings.

Unless they got hit by a meteor.