A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Descent of Shadows: Project Shadow Returns

I may be summoning back the dead, but I need to, 'cause man, this is AWESOME! I'd love to have the .pdf though, because as it is, it's quite unreadable, if you know what I mean...
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I...HAVE...RETURNED!!!!

Wow, It's been a long time since I've been on the boards. I've decided once and for all that I am obligated to finish this megapost. Even if I have to drag myself to the finish line with cinderblocks tied to my arms and legs, I will do it (I'll try to add something each day).

Once it is done, I will look into PDFing it.

That said, my PDF will probably need pictures. If anyone has or can look for pictures (of classes, mysteries, items, or whatever), that would be very much appreciated (and you'll be among the first to receive the PDF when it is done ).

Edit: Just put in racial information for humans, half-orcs, half-elves, dwarves, and gnomes.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2009-04-25 at 01:40 PM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Having played with this material for some time now i need to add that it is an awesome source for the aspiring shadow magic user as well as an example of good homebrewing. I need to make some commentary though:

Question: Does the target's equipment turn to semiprecious stones by te use of the Treacherous horde mystery?

Question: For the without a trace mystery can i improve my chances of hiding through the use of the hide skill (as i can iwith the invisibility spell) or the Spot DC is set no matter what i do?

Insightful Shadowcaster
    Your perception of the world has lent you the power you need to change it.
    Prerequisites: Shadowcaster level 1, Wis 13
    Benefit: You add your Wisdom bonus (if any) to your effective caster level when casting mysteries.
    Special: This feat can only be taken at 1st level.
    This fet as written is unplayable. for 36.000 gp (+6 wisdom item) i can have +3 caster level? At the very least make it for mysteries 1 grade below the maximum you can cast.

SHADOW FUNDAMENTALIST
    Entry Requirements
    Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 5 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 5 ranks
    Shadowcasting: ability to cast 5 or more fundamentals
    Emphasis mine. With the Shadow Tome feat you can enter this class at level 2 (and get all fundamentals an unlimited amount of time with metamagic on top at level 5) Was this intended? If yes consider that at level 5 i will throw every round a fell drained arrow of dusk. Make the fundamentals at about 7 and it has no problem.

Shadow Tome
    You have emulated the Wizard’s ability to record your spells.
    Prerequisites: Shadowcaster level 1, Liquid Night Fundamental
    Benefit: You gain a tome of magic, resembling a Wizard’s spellbook. It costs half as much to add new pages and ink from Liquid Night is sufficient enough to negate the cost of ink. The tome itself gains a +2 bonus on all saving throws.
    More impressively, whenever a Shadowcaster gains a new level, they learn an extra mystery, so long as its grade (fundamental, apprentice, initiate, master) is at least one less than the maximum grade that a Shadowcaster is capable of using.
    New mysteries cannot be transcribed into the tome. Regaining mysteries takes 30 minutes instead of the normal 15 minutes and all mysteries within the tome are regained (as with the normal recovery of mysteries).
    Special: This feat can only be taken at 1st level. In all other aspects, the tome imitates the wizard (including a sudden loss of access to mysteries if the tome is destroyed).
    Ok this feat is a very nice idea that gives the shadow caster 6 fundamentals and 14 mysteries over 20 levels without empowering him a lot. But i need to make some comments.
    A) The fact that a shadowcaster can take from 3 to 7 bonus feats is intended? (Bonus shadow caster feats aren't the best around but not the worst either)
    B) I can now have 1 to 3 more path masteries because i have more completed paths. Still i must spend feats. Intended?
    That said we didn't have much trouble with this feat (except from the early entry mentioned above) in our party and it brought the shadowcaster closer to power with other casters.

Epic Shadowcasting:
    Each epic mystery is usable once per day as an extraordinary ability and can be learned multiple times (with a +2 competence bonus on all checks to develop it for each time it has been successfully developed.
    Emphasis mine. So the greatest of all mystery magics can't affect incorpoeal creatures ? (don't worry i noticed it a month ago too :) ) Incorporeal creatures are only vurnerable to supernatural, spell like, spells (and mysteries)
    and magic physical attacks (with a 50% ignore chance).
    Solution is simple. Just add that they are either supernatural or extraordinary, whichever is more beneficial for the caster.

Truth is it is too big (hey that is a good thing ) to be evaluated in depth. But if i have any more thoughts i will add them here.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

My find:

Arcane Acknowledgement
    You have taken advantage of your arcane nature.
    Prerequisites: Shadowcaster level 1
    Benefit: All mysteries that you possess by virtue of the Shadowcaster class are treated as arcane spells (even if they are cast as spell-like or supernatural abilities) for the purposes of meeting the prerequisites of prestige classes or feats, as well as for the purpose of caster levels granted by prestige classes.
    After taking this fea, become a Noctumancer at level 3. At level 20, you'll have a Caster Level of 30 for all purposes.

A bit overkill, eh?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strongarm Warrior: An actually worthwhile Monkey Grip-focused PrC!
    Guyr Adamantine Avatar by Tomb Raven.

5. - Top - End - #95

NecromancerGirl

@ Guyr Adamantine
    Make the prerequisites Shadowcaster level 5 (most prestiges start there) . Add a clause saying that you can't gain more than 1 caster level per level by virtue of that feat(or something like that). Tweak its divine counterpart while you are there.

Some more notes:
    In your Disciple of Dawn PrC Pierce the Unreal ability is outright stronger (remember invisibility is an illusion effect) than Pierce the Shroud. I suggest switching them place.

Midnight Scream Mystery needs an upper limit to its damage dice

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Treacherous Horde was intended to transform a person much like flesh to stone does. I don't know whether the aforementioned spell does or doesn't transmute gear (though, going by the name, it doesn't).
    Edit: You know what? for the sake of maintaining the treasure curve, I will specifically state that gear is left untouched.

For without a trace, I will change it so that you gain a +20 bonus to hide checks against true seeing and a +30 bonus otherwise. Seems a bit more fair.

Insightful Shadowcaster: Most people say broken rather than unplayable but I get your meaning. I have two things to say in the defense of this feat. First of all, it is one of those 1st-level-only feats, most of which seem stronger than other feats (spellcasting prodigy, collegiate wizard, shadow tome, mind over matter, etc). Secondly, this problem amplifies MAD, forcing you to spend resources on three ability scores.

Shadow Fundamentalist: If I raised the number of fundamentals to 7, we'd still have the same problem (keep in mind that a shadowcaster can select an additional fundamental in place of a mystery when they gain a level). Instead, I will boost the needed skill ranks to 6 apiece. Also, I'm pretty sure that fell drain is a metamagic feat, not a metashadow feat.

Shadow Tome: a) Wow, I can't believe I blanked on this. I honestly never considered that my feat gave out bonus feats (a general no-no). I will change the feat so whenever its possessor would get a bonus shadowcaster feat (whether or not this feat is responsible), they gain an extra daily use of a mystery they possess. This is better than favored mystery but prevents all sorts of other abuse.
    b)Path Mastery feats are nice but they are not a god-given right, I'm afraid. It was intentional that you don't automatically get feats for completing such paths (As said above, one feat should never get you 2+ feats).

Arcane Acknowledgement: To fix that problem, I shall add an either-or bit to the feat, preventing one's mysteries from counting as both for any one purpose. I'm also tweaking divine acknowledgement. New text below:
    You may treat the mysteries you possess by virtue of the Shadowcaster class as either mysteries or arcane spells (even if they are cast as spell-like or supernatural abilities) for the purposes of meeting the prerequisites of prestige classes or feats, as well as for the purpose of caster levels granted by prestige classes.

Pierce the unreal and pierce the shroud are switched and midnight scream has a (hefty) damage cap.

I'll put in a line specifically stating that epic mysteries can harm incorporeal creatures. It sounds silly but I assumed that extraordinary abilities were in all ways better than supernatural abilities (). I think I gave some other class the option to make their mysteries extraordinary through some feat or something but I don't remember where. Please help me find it.
    Edit: Found it. I made that darn extraordinary mystery epic feat. consider it altered as well.
    Edit: Found another one, the eventide magus' twilight revelation. Fixed that too.
    Edit: The Midnight Seer as well. Wow, I did this alot.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2009-04-26 at 10:09 AM.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

7. - Top - End - #97

NecromancerGirl

Ok i see your point about insightful shadowcaster. It is a powerful feat but not broken.

Check also the logical mystery alternate class ability

About the fell drain issue if we go with the raw you are correct. But many people homebrew their metamagic feats into their equilevant metashadow, the formula is easy to follow. Still the prestige class is fixed so no worries here.

I like the changes made, especially the new treacherous hoard.

8. - Top - End - #98

Exactly: Insightful Shadowcaster is powerful, but Caster Level is not that important in the end. It wouldn't be unreasonable for a DM to cap it or to make it work only off of "unenhanced" Wisdom either, or to let it apply only to lower tier mysteries. I played with it at some point and decided to restrict myself to unenhanced Wisdom: it was still a very nice +3 bonus (I had rolled very well for my stats).

If I only had one feat at level 1, I'd choose Shadow Tome over it any time.

Nice to see this is still active !
    My old characters (I don't game on this board anymore) --- Avatar by Castaras

"Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Darn. I tried to update last night but my internet was fighting me the entire time.

I Fixed Logical Mystery and posted informaiton for elves.
    Halflings will follow tonight.
    EDIT: Halflings are up and the race post is done. I have even created a link to it in the table of contents. When I'm all done, I may want to add a couple more races (goblins, orcs, kobolds, aasimars, and tieflings with...perhaps... drow, illumians, and shadar-kai [but don't expect racial varients of these last three]) but don't count on it just yet.
    Next up, interraction with the classes.
    Edit: Put up information for the barbarian along with a new item, the cloak of shadow's rage.
    By the way, although I will bump this if it sinks into the depths, most of my additions will be mentioned as edits, not as new posts. Therefore, even if there aren't new posts, there may still be new additions. 0.
    Edit: Put up bard information, including a new bardic music feat for them.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2009-04-29 at 09:23 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Cleric information is now up, including a new Domain feat.

I'm updating this thing daily now, for those who haven't noticed.

Edit: I found one last source of extraordinary mysteries, a class feature from that seven enigmas PrC. In this case, however, I think it's fine to leave it as is.
    Edit: I added information about the druid, complete with a new item. I also made an alternate ability for the druid (located in the alternate ability post). A new link has been added, leading to a couple new master paths made by Peacenlove.
    Edit: I added information about the fighter alonge with a new weapon property.
    Oh, and hooray for 100 posts!
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2009-05-01 at 08:37 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Great job, love your stuff, yer a Homebrewin' God, etc etc.

Had a question for you, and please don't laugh. You mentioned earlier putting this compilation into PDF format once it is all finished and polished off. Well, in your opinion, how close are you to being finished? Or is this one of those "I'll be lucky to finish in my lifetime" sorts of projects?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A fair enough question. I assure you that I did not laugh.

Here is a difinitive list of everything that I intend to add:
    • Ways in which Descent of Shadows interracts with monks, paladins, rangers, rogues, sorcerers, and wizards. A single piece of juicy crunch (generally a feat or magic item) will be included with each.
    • Ways in which Descent of Shadows interracts with religion and common political systems.
    • Ways in which Descent of Shadows may impact an entire campaign world or even the other planes. Perhaps a variant rule or two will be presented to help represent suggested alterations but this is unlikely.
    • The Blot PC race. Although I left myself myself space for a third race, I don't think I'll need it for the PDF.
    • A small smattering of general feats, class-specific feats, and racial feats (for the new races), all of which have thus-far been lacking. About half of these have already been written down.
    • It is my goal to make another 10 items, another 3 cursed items, and another artifact.
    • A new type of item that basically lets you weave shadow essence into the form of a soul, creating a temporary intelligent item. With further feats, such an affect could be applied to people or locations.
    • The apocryphist and master of mysteries PrCs. They will be written in the old format of PrC (like the disciple of dawn) rather than the newer, bulkier format (like the Initiate of the Seven Enigmas) so that making them takes less time.
    • If I happen to come up with something small, I'll post that as well. I won't delay the PDF for weeks so I can create a new class or series of monsters but if I think of an item, alternate ability, feat, spell, or even mystery path, I may post that as well. To keep things going, I won't allow such things to count as my daily post.

If anyone has advice on how to make a PDF (I have never done so before), I would appreciate it.
    Likewise, submitted ideas for pictures saves me the trouble (and time) of searching through hundred of photobucket and deviantart search results.

I hope that my post has answered your question. I may be moving slowly (at least until my school ends in about a month) but there is definitely an end in sight.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    A new type of item that basically lets you weave shadow essence into the form of a soul, creating a temporary intelligent item. With further feats, such an affect could be applied to people or locations.
    This sounds absolutely fascinating. I'll try to wander through every now and again to comment on (and bump) this thread. However, my newborns do keep me pretty busy, and lack of sleep has turned my brain to swiss cheese. So we'll see the next time I remember to do anything...

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey Realms,

Nice thread and nice work. I stumbled across this a couple of months ago, looking for some ideas regarding my 20th level shadowcaster and how to take him epic.

Since there weren't any updates until recently, I had started to compile this information to share with my DM, including the Linked material and had put it together into a PDF. My method, which is not the greatest, is to use Word and then once I have it formatted, run it through PDF Creator, a free Open-Source PDF maker software.

If you have some sort of Desktop Publishing Software, that would probably make it easier as Word isn't really designed for this.

Sethvir

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hey There!

Haven't updated for a couple days as finals week looms in the near future.
    Even so, I found myself free to do a night of small updates.

I changed some of the mystery descriptions that were less concise. Many of these were leftovers from when I was coming up with mystery concepts and only had those descriptions to keep the image in my head.

I also fixed up some of the coding with mysteries and placed them in spoiler boxes. I will do some more of this to other parts of the thread later on to make this more accessible.

Lastly, I put up information for the monk, along with a new feat.

RoC's picture hunt has begun (hopefully I have learned how to post images):
    Spoiler
    Show

Possible replacement for the hollow?

Shadow Necromancer?

Disastrous orbs mystery?

I shall find a use for this one

Eventide Magus?
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2009-05-08 at 12:02 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106

NecromancerGirl

Falling Sky mystery in the small mystery description text (in initiate mysteries,Boundless Void path) should be renamed Descending Sky (you list it as descending sky in the detailed mystery description)
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2011-01-19 at 03:19 PM.

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

*jaw drops*

Fantastic!

This is what I'm talking about.
    by all means, e-mail me the pictures (I believe you have my e-mail address, peacenlove)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

some more pictures

Spoiler
    Show

Abyssm?

Drain Awareness?

Another candidate for Dust to Dust?

Twisted Summons?

Another ebon fortress candidate?

Ephemeral Watcher?

Dark Athenaeum?
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2009-05-08 at 08:44 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

How come I've never noticed this before...?

Because it's pretty freakin' impressive! Although the overall feel is a bit too dark for my tastes, and there is a decided lack of fluff (I realize that it's intentional, and you pulled it off very well), you've done an amazing thing here, Realms of Chaos

There are only two things I could ask for: pretty pictures (seems you're working on that) and straightening up the Index a little bit (like into different sub-categories so they're not all clumped together).

On a scale of 1-10, Descent of Shadows is totally awesome.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Paladin is up along with a new feat (a feat designed to give them more leeway without stomping on grey guard turf). 4 classes left!

I've been keeping the index (actually a table of contents) in order of post so far but I think I see the benefit of reorganizing it. I'll get to that soon.

Another One:
    Spoiler
    Show

I will find a use for this

21. - Top - End - #111

NecromancerGirl

This image could depict the Dark Resilience mystery

Unnatural Life
    Fundamental
    Level/School: 0/Necromancy
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: Instantaneous

You heal 1 health. This health is neither the result of positive nor negative energy, and heals you regardless of whether you are alive, undead, or neither.
    Emphasis mine. More so a question rather than a comment but it was bugging me for some time. With unlimited fundamentals gained at 14th level, or by going into the Shadow Fundamentalist prestige class, you can begin each encounter at full health. Granted its personal and you need at least 6th level to pull this off (and i have no problem with out of combat unlimited hit point heal, thats why fast healing exists, also i understand that this is more of a cultist mystery) but was this intended for the shadowcaster?
    Maybe put a restriction that you can heal up to half of your hit points until you are at least at caster level 11th or something (where strong healing magic becomes available). This fundamental is still a good option because it saves you from death at low levels.

as Moira

22. - Top - End - #112

NecromancerGirl

Ok now that i have the time for it let me put some epic comments about your high level or epic options. Note that i have only created epic characters, not actually played any game above 21st level.

Improved Metashadow Mastery
    Your ability to alter shadows is unparalleled.
    Prerequisites: access to 18 different paths, Master Dabbler, Metashadow Mastery
    Benefit: you may use any metashadow feats you possess at will.
    With Shadow Tome i can take it at 12th level. But put an [Epic] tag on it and you are set to go (although i think its like around 7 improved metamagic feats for the price of one feat (i say seven because the highest spell level cost for a metamagic feat is +7, namely intensinfy spell), remember metashadow feats do not adjust spell level and would be VERY powerful if at will). I suggest making it an epic feat that gives 2 more uses of your metashadow feats and can be selected as many times as you want.

Another question would be why the Path Mastery feat is a bonus Shadowcaster feat while its subsequent feats aren't.

Counterspell Mastery [Epic]
    You have a mastery at countering spells.
    Prerequisites: Spellcraft 30 ranks
    Benefit: You may counter a spell by giving up a daily use of any mystery of an equal or higher spell level.
    Well seeing that the counterspell action is weak (unless you take Epic counterspell (from Players Guide to Faerun), which is feat intensive) and seeing that i can't counterspell spells of 10th level or higher, this feat is rather weak. I suggest rewording it so you abandon daily uses of mysteries that their sum of levels totals the level of the spell to be countered. If you feel it is too strong make it a second feat.

Efficient Metashadow [Epic]
    You can utilize metashadow feats using less time.
    Prerequisites: Any twelve metashadow feats
    Benefit: Whenever you apply one or more metashadow feats that would extend casting time to a full-round action to any mystery, it is instead cast as a standard action. The quicken mystery metashadow feat may not be applied to such as mystery.
    Spontaneous spellcasters gain a better version of the feat at 12th level in complete mage. Although it is wise to keep the restriction to quickened spells, i see no reason to restrict an inherently swift or immediate action mystery to a standard action one when you apply a metashadow feat at epic levels. The metashadowed spell should be casted at its normal casting time.

Dampening Aura [Epic]
    You emanate an aura that warps normal magic.
    Prerequisites: The ability to cast 9th-level mysteries
    Benefit: All spells (but not mysteries) cast within 10 feet of yourself gain a –4 penalty to their caster level.
    This feat (along with its successor) is a cool feat because it gives you an interesting special quality and not a +X bonus to something. Good work and keep it up!

EDIT: ignore previous comment about greater line of shadows.

Improved Quicken Mystery [Epic]
    You can utilize several mysteries in quick succession.
    Prerequisites: Quicken Mystery
    Benefit: When you cast a quickened mystery, it is cast as a free action instead of as a swift action, but you may only cast a number of quickened mysteries each round equal to your charisma modifier.
    This feat along with improved metashadow mastery is unplayable (broken) because it practically gives a number of Multispell feats (ELH) equal to your charisma modifier.

I will post in a few days some supplemental epic feats for the shadowcaster (in a different thread as not to derail the current one). feel free to add them to your own as well as any shadowcaster themed creation of mine.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2009-05-12 at 06:02 AM.

as Moira

23. - Top - End - #113

I agree with peacenlove, except perhaps regarding Dampening Aura: 10ft is way too little to be useful. Only meleers are likely to be within that range, and only if they don't use reach weapons+enlarging.
    Plus, they can simply move away.

You could make it 100ft or you could change it to "any spellcaster targeted by one of your mysteries or damaged by one of your Area mysteries takes a -4 penalty to caster level until the end of your next round".
    (Yes, I also play 4E these days.)

-4 CL is not even that big a deal in Epic.

I'll also note that the metashadow feats, like the Sudden X metamagics, are rather weak, so it makes sense to shore them up. But Improved Metashadow Mastery does go too far in that direction.
    If you reduce it to 2 more uses only, I think it can remain non-epic.

After all, if you dabble in too many different paths you won't get bonus feats so you'll have few metashadow feats available. It mostly balances out, I think. You can always add a K: Arcana or Spellcraft prereq if you want to make it available, say, only at level 16+.

24. - Top - End - #114

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by namo View Post
    After all, if you dabble in too many different paths you won't get bonus feats so you'll have few metashadow feats available. It mostly balances out, I think. You can always add a K: Arcana or Spellcraft prereq if you want to make it available, say, only at level 16+.
    A Shadowcaster gains feats equal to half the total number of paths he has access to, rounded down. So the more paths he gains access to, the more metashadow feats he gets. And Improved Metashadow Mastery becomes that much scarier. That said i am perfectly ok with the option to make metashadow feats usable an additional 2 times per day (stackable with metashadow mastery) at the level it was intended to (18th +)
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2009-05-12 at 09:53 AM.

as Moira

25. - Top - End - #115

My bad, I was mixing up the DoS rules with the designer fix that shall not be named (that's what we used a year ago when I played a shadowcaster).

But with the ToM rules, you'd only know level 1 and 4 powers if you had 18 different paths at level 12: again, this is a big penalty in itself.

Still, level 18 is fine by me.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Might I provide this handy link for you all?
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Gah! Stupid Finals!
    I will be in the midst of hell for the next week (until friday, when I am free at last).
    Until then, I guess I can respond to what has been said.

Unnatural Life: Yeah, I think I will limit it to a maximum of 1/2 maximum health.

Improved Metashadow Mastery: I think that I will do away with this feat and simply allow normal metashadow mastery to be taken multiple times, up to a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier (perhaps).
    With the abolisment of improved metashadow mastery, I will produce a new epic feat that allows you to choose a metashadow feat with uses per day and use it at will.

Counterspell Mastery: Yeah, I think I will go with that advice.

Efficient Metashadow: I honestly forgot about the couple of mysteries that can be cast as swift and immediate actions.

Dampening Aura: I think I will extend the base range to 30 feet (like most auras) and allow the feat to be taken multiple times, extending the range by 30 feet and bolstering the penalty by -1 each time.

Improved Quicken Mystery: I'll have improved quicken mystery function as the regular multispell feat, except that it can only be taken a number of times up to your charisma modifier (an epic shadowcaster can get feats every other level in addition to the feats from class levels and epic class levels, making it two dangerous to truly let them take it any number of times).

Krimm, thank you so much for the disciple of the void PrC. That is simply awesome and I will add it.

Another thing that I've been looking for (if anyone else could find it on these boards) was an older Shadow Magic base class on these boards who had power over omens and luck and who eventually could kill themselves to take away a god's auto-20 ability. I thought it was called the harbinger but the search function didn't find anything.

Alas, I won't be able to make any of these modifiications right at the moment (stupid finals). Starting next friday, I will go into overdrive with this thing.

PS: Peacenlove and Krimm, I would ask if it would be okay to include the links you have provided me in the finished PDF (giving you full credit, of course). I think that I'll use the other links as well (I'll credit the authors and wish that I could ask their permission but I somehow doubt that they still visit the forums where they first posted their work). Also, I request permission of Peacenlove to reverse engineer his material to 3.5 (I will likely make a pathfinder thing afterwards but I wanted to start with what I was truly familiar with).

PSS: I'm still waiting for the collection of pictures you said that you had laying around, Peacenlove. . Perhaps you could put them on the forum, in spoiler boxes, over the course of a few (or a few dozen) posts.

EDIT: What I post here is under the assumption that not every metamagic feat in existance has a metashadow equivalent. This seems logical considering that not every metamagic feat has a sudden metamagic equivalent. Take note that I have not created fell drain mystery or intensify mystery. That is for a reason. Namely, in order to offer metashadow at will abilities to any degree (as found in the shadow fundamentalist), some metamagic feats have to be specifically ignored.
    If you intend to use this homebrew and simultaneously homebrew every single metamagic feat as a metashadow feat, you may have to add some limiting factor to either this or to some of your newly created feat, as is appropriate.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2009-05-15 at 05:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

NecromancerGirl

Peacenlove and Krimm, I would ask if it would be okay to include the links you have provided me in the finished PDF (giving you full credit, of course). I think that I'll use the other links as well (I'll credit the authors and wish that I could ask their permission but I somehow doubt that they still visit the forums where they first posted their work). Also, I request permission of Peacenlove to reverse engineer his material to 3.5 (I will likely make a pathfinder thing afterwards but I wanted to start with what I was truly familiar with).
    You have full permission to use my material to your pdf since their original purpose was to supplement your material. Also now i am at vacation and away of my hard drive but when i return i will add some more mysteries and feats to the mix, to their relative thread. feel free to add them too. As for the images i have some trouble with my ISP. I will upload them via a rapidshare-like tool when i can but since rapidshare is sucky i will need to find an alternate source. Alternatively i will use the forums when i make an account at photobucket.

EDIT: What I post here is under the assumption that not every metamagic feat in existance has a metashadow equivalent. This seems logical considering that not every metamagic feat has a sudden metamagic equivalent. Take note that I have not created fell drain mystery or intensify mystery. That is for a reason. Namely, in order to offer metashadow at will abilities to any degree (as found in the shadow fundamentalist), some metamagic feats have to be specifically ignored.
    If you intend to use this homebrew and simultaneously homebrew every single metamagic feat as a metashadow feat, you may have to add some limiting factor to either this or to some of your newly created feat, as is appropriate.
    The problem with at will abilities is that they should be given with moderation. Metamagic feats do change the spell level of the spell used upon them for a reason (some are bad some are good and some are core ). If you take away that, no matter the restriction, you ruin the balance. True, metashadow feats are weak (heck even their spell like counterparts, for example empower spell like ability are of moderate power, since you can get the same effect from a rod) but making them 3 times (or 4 in high powered campaigns) i thing its a good top benchmark for power, pre-epic of course (after epic at will metashadows balance as with Improved metamagic for magic users so no problems giving that ability there).
    But i get your point, i will critique on your work by using only core and Tome of Magic material for comparison
    My 2 cents take as you will

EDIT: Another question
    Shadowy Stunt
    Class: Rogue
    Special Requirement: Knowledge (the planes) 5 ranks
    Level: 10th,13th,16, or 19th
    Replaces: This alternate class feature replaces the special ability gained at each level that it is taken.
    Benefit: The Rogue selects any Fundamental of Shadow or Apprentice Mystery and can cast it as a shadowcaster with a caster level of 1/2 the rogue’s class level, so long as their intelligence score is at least 10+the mystery’s level. The save dc of the mystery is determined by the Rogues Charisma modifier.
    How many times per day and at which grade (i.e. spell, spell like ability, supernatural ability) do they use the mystery?
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2009-05-16 at 01:21 AM.

as Moira

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

For Metamagic feats, assume the following aren't being converted:
    1. Any metamagic feat that could be applied to a generic area/target spell that had no effect and could win the battle anyways (fell drain was a mistake, ImO).
    2. Any metamagic feat that with a modifier of greater than +4. Notice that there is no sudden persist spell feat. If there was, it would be the only sudden spell feat that was overpowered. Regardless of times per day, granting something like that would be crazy.

Then again, I might make a converted (and weakened) version of fell drain as a metashadow feat that isn't overpowered when used at will (either allowing saves to resist the negative level and render themselves immune for 24 hours or by limiting it to 1 [or a couple] negative levels per victim). In this way, people are less liable to form their own crazy version.

One thing that you may be right about, however, is only allowing metashadow mastery to be taken two or three times.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2009-05-16 at 08:36 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120

NecromancerGirl

2. Any metamagic feat that with a modifier of greater than +4. Notice that there is no sudden persist spell feat. If there was, it would be the only sudden spell feat that was overpowered. Regardless of times per day, granting something like that would be crazy.
    Check your feats section then, it starts with a Persistent
    (Thats one of the reasons i was going all out on metamagic-metashadow comparison). But you do not have to remove it completely. I have seen a suggestion in the WotC forums (don't remember where, but the user was named veekie), that makes Persistent spell a +2 metamagic feat and increases the duration of the spell by one step (concentration -> 1 round/level -> 1 minute/level -> 10 minutes/level -> 1 hour/level -> 24 hours). One round duration spells are specifically out but it allowed some flexibility for the "strange" durations, like 1 minute and such. Give it another name and you are set to go!
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2011-01-19 at 03:16 PM.

as Moira