A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Descent of Shadows: Project Shadow Returns

No problem, go ahead and use whatever of mine you please.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh... I should check my own work before I comment on it. While you're right in that I could make it simply lengthen the duration, I think that I have another solution. I think that I'll change it so that it isn't a metashadow feat any longer but closely imitates the innate spell feat (choose a mystery you can use when you select the feat of the second-highest grade or lower and with a duration longer than 1 round. That mystery is automatically cast when you regain your mysteries but it's duration is 24 hours. Take multiple times [up to 3] to get more mysteries).

As for the pictures, more awesome images, I am glad to say. That picture whose purpose you couldn't quite define seems like an awesome introduction to the new magic item type I am formulating (weaving together a soul from shadowstuff). Soon I will search for a picture of a shadowy/haunted sword, room, and person to go along with it.

Very many thanks to you, Krimm. As always, I must say that I found your class to be refined and yet simplistic, oozing in flavor with a satisfying crunchy center. Now I want to work more on the void a bit. (well, that can wait for v1.1 of the pdf...probably).

I'm sorry for keeping all of you guys hanging. 5 days of finals and then I will be free once more. Muwhahaha.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Good idea with the innate-persistent combo! Well as an afterthought you need not waste time by converting all the metamagic feats in all obscure sources. Just add a "Behind the Scenes" stating that "look you can convert all metamagic to metashadow but (unless you want a cheesy campaign) a) add a save to those who add an effect b) do not add metamagic of greater than +4 value" and stating your reasoning there. That way readers will be warned and can adjust the power level of the feats accordingly.

Some of the extra work i promised to you
    Spoiler
    Show

(planning to do also warlock invocations, 2 vestiges (Shadow King, Volumvax: both of faerunian origin), Some mysteries inspired by World of Warcraft and some other stuff i will brainstorm upon (mostly feats taken by WotC sources and retooled into shadowcaster but other stuff too)

FEATS

Dark Magic Scholar
    Prerequisites: Shadow caster level 19th.
    You continue to unravel the hidden secrets of the shadows.
    Benefit: Your Master mysteries become Spell Like abilities, gaining extra uses per day and following all the normal rules for spell like abilities.

Dark Magic Master [Epic]
    Your revelations over the powers of shadows grant you terrifying abilities.
    Prerequisites: Dark Magic Scholar, Shadow caster level 25th.
    Benefit: Your Initiate mysteries become Supernatural abilities, gaining extra uses per day and following all the normal rules for supernatural abilities.

Dark Magic Ascendant [Epic]
    There are but a few secrets eluding your grasp.
    Prerequisites: Dark Magic Master, Shadow caster level 31th.
    Benefit: Your Master mysteries become Supernatural abilities, gaining extra uses per day and following all the normal rules for supernatural abilities.

Apprentice Void Mysteries [Epic]
    You unlock a new type of mysteries, the Void mysteries, which draw directly through the connective forces that bind the material and the shadow plane.
    Prerequisites: Dark Magic Ascendant, Epic Shadow Casting, Shadow caster level 37th
    Benefit: You may choose to cast an apprentice mystery as an extraordinary ability, following all the normal rules for extraordinary abilities. This ability is usable at will.

Initiate Void Mysteries [Epic]
    Your studies of the Void mysteries has paid off.
    Prerequisites: Dark Magic Ascendant, Epic Shadow Casting, Apprentice Void Mysteries,
    Shadow caster level 43th
    Benefit: You may choose to cast an initiate mystery as an extraordinary ability, following all the normal rules for extraordinary abilities. This ability is usable at will.

Master Void Mysteries [Epic]
    Your magic becomes as natural as the environment itself.
    Prerequisites: Dark Magic Ascendant, Epic Shadow Casting, Apprentice Void Mysteries,
    Initiate Void Mysteries, Shadow caster level 49th
    Benefit: You may choose to cast a master mystery as an extraordinary ability, following all the normal rules for extraordinary abilities. This ability is usable at will.

Favored in Guild (Tenebrous Cabal)
    You become a crucial high ranking member of the Tenebrous Cabal
    Prerequisites: Tenebrous Cabal affiliation score 15 or greater
    Benefit: Once per day you can use Shadow walk or Plane Shift to any plane Conterminous with the Plane of Shadows. You must use a special token granted by the organization and if the token is lost the benefits of this feat are also lost unless you spend 2.000 GP and 1 week time to acquire a new one. You can only affect yourself and anybody bearing this special token with the aforementioned spells.
    In addition you gain a bonus to diplomacy checks equal to 1/3 your affiliation score when dealing with members of your affiliation.

Versatile Shadow caster (adapted from races of the dragon)
    You can use two lower-level mysteries to cast a spell one level higher.
    Prerequisite: Ability to cast mysteries.
    Benefit: You can use two mysteries of the same level to cast a mystery you know that is one level higher. For example, a Shadow caster with this feat can expend two 2nd-level mysteries to cast any 3rd-level mystery he knows. You cannot use fundamentals to power up this feat.

Revitalizing Shadow [Epic]
    You gain even more power and nourishment from your shadow.
    Prerequisites: Greater Sustaining Shadow
    Benefit: You gain fast healing 2 that stacks with any preexisting natural healing gained through feat, racial or class abilities.
    In addition you need 1 hour less to reclaim your mysteries.
    Special: The effects of this feat stack up to seven times.

TENEMBROUS CABAL ORGANIZATION
    Spoiler
    Show

For Details see Tome of Magic page 170

Scale: 18 (Plane of Shadow)

Positive Criteria:

Every Character level : + ½ per level
    Can cast Illusion (Shadow) spells or mystery user: + ½
    Can cast Illusion (Shadow) spells or mystery user (3rd level or greater spells/mysteries): + ½
    Can cast Illusion (Shadow) spells or mystery user (6th level or greater spells/mysteries): + 1
    Has 5 ranks in Spell craft: + ½
    Has 10 ranks in Spell craft: + ½
    Completes a mission assigned by the affiliation: + ½
    Recruits a new member in the affiliation (once per month): + ½
    Defeats a violent enemy of the affiliation in combat (CR must be greater of the character's level): + 1/16 of the creature's CR (minimum ½ )
    Razes a stronghold of one of the affiliation's enemies: +2
    Negative Criteria:

Known to be friendly with opposing affiliation or/and misuses shadow magic openly:
    -2 to -20
    Lacks ability to cast fundamentals or Illusion (Shadow) spells: -10
    Lacks ranks in Spell craft: -3
    Has spent less than a month each year to fulfill duties in the Bleak Academy: -4
    Fails a mission given by the affiliation: -1

Affiliation Score and Benefits:

0-3: Not affiliated
    The affiliation blocks access to its facilities altogether and isn't even considering recruiting you.

4-9: Student
    You are a junior member of the Tenebrous Cabal and can advance normally in the ranks.

10-15: Graduate of the Bleak Academy
    You can use the extensive libraries of the Bleak Academy. You gain a +3 bonus on Knowledge (arcana) and (planes) while there.

16-21: Tutor of the Bleak Academy
    You can share knowledge with other graduates. Once per month you may trade spell books with another member if a prepared caster or you can retrain a mystery or spell if a mystery caster or spontaneous caster.

22-29: Seeker of the Enigmas
    You can use equipment in order to help you with your studies. While crafting any items in the Bleak academy, you do so with a 10% discount on cost and time.

30+: Member of the Parliament of Shadows
    Once per month you can borrow a magic item of up to 30.000 GP in value for 5 days. The guild's capital is decreased by 1 for that time.

NEW MYSTERIES
    Shadow Conjuration
    Initiate, Dark Creation
    Level/School: 4th/Illusion (Shadow)

As per the Shadow Conjuration spell (PHB) except as noted above, and it can mimic a Conjuration (creation) or (summoning) of up to 4th level.

Black Steed
    Initiate, Dark Creation
    Level/School: 5th/Conjuration (Creation)

As per the Phantom Steed spell (PHB) except as noted above and with the following changes:
    1) The casting time is 1 standard action as normal for mysteries.
    2) Double its hit points and carrying capacity.
    3) Maximum speed is 300 feet.
    4) The mount gains a bonus to its stealth checks equal to your caster level.
    At Caster level 16 it gains the Shadow Blend and Fast Healing 2 qualities of a Shadow Creature (Lords of Madness)
    At Caster level 20, the mount is immune to non magical attacks.

Greater Shadow Conjuration
    Initiate, Dark Creation
    Level/School: 6th/Illusion (Shadow)

As per the Greater Shadow Conjuration spell (PHB) except as noted above.

Path Mastery (Dark Creation) (Initiate)
    Master of Shaping
    You become expert at the craft of manipulating shadow essence to your desired ends, as well as distinguishing what is real and what is not.
    Benefit: Mysteries with the [Shadow] descriptor are 10% more real and gain a +2 bonus on penetration rolls if applicable. Furthermore you do not need to interact with illusions to merit a saving throw to disbelieve, witnessing it is enough.

On Krimm's work
    Spoiler
    Show

Actually his Void incantations are very cool and offer many options for expanding them especially in the epic levels. For example need a better dispel? Make a Void incantantion feat that needs Greater shadows fade nd upgrades it into reaving dispel. Need to flavor Consume essence with an evil touch? Make a Void incantantion feat that lets you keep the soul of the deceased creature for 1 hour granting you a benefit. Need some cool ability? Make it a Void feat. They could be their own category and when you take a Void feat you take a -1 cumulative penalty to wisdom checks and gain a +1 bonus to intelligence checks for example), and since the base abilities are loosely connected, the feats can be whatever you want.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2011-01-19 at 03:15 PM.

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

Just found out about this project. I have not read most of it yet but I slowly am. So far very good, just wanted to stop in a say that.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

Those where some very nice pictures peacenlove.

6. - Top - End - #126

NecromancerGirl

Thank you more will come soon
    now lets look upon another mystery

Immortal Shadow
    Master, Endless Void
    Level/School: 9th/Transmutation
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 24 hours

Disregarding laws of time, you steal back that which has been lost

Within shadows, time has no meaning. A shadow that was is a shadow that is is a shadow that will be. All that changes is the shadow’s location. Drawing upon this principle, this mystery not only stops aging for the mystery’s duration but reverts the mystery user to the next youngest age category (changing physical ability scores but not mental ability scores). Multiple castings of this mystery results not in a stacking of age regression but an overlapping of duration.
    I must say that this is a very flavorful mystery but as written it has some problems (and its incredibly weak or tremendously broken, i will explain below).

A) When you say "reverts the mystery user to the next youngest age category" what do you mean? start, middle or end? More important the last sentence implies that i can benefit from the age regression only once in my life? Or i shall age, regress back time, age again, rinse and repeat? I assume the first one (then again after my free +1 to all mental scores i wont benefit from this mystery again and i will retrain it, if i already didn't use a scroll with it) because the second one would leave us with infinite bonuses to mental scores.

B) What are the mechanical benefits of using this mystery? Only stopping aging (and presumably becoming immune to magical aging effects, which are almost nonexistent in 3.x edition)? Being 9th level and all it should give at least some bonuses vs forces that threaten your life force (just as mind blank ,excessively maybe, protects vs forces that affect your mind for 24 hours). I have some ideas to tweak it (maybe incorporate some traits from the deathless creature type in eberron but not losing your constitution modifier?)
    Or if you take another route maybe this mystery in a sense "surrenders" your bodily functions to the shadows, and your willpower, not your body, is now a measure of how strong and healthy you are. That approach would mean that you use your charisma instead of your constitution for hit points, fortitude saves and/or concentration checks and maybe your strength and/or dexterity score becomes equal to your intelligence score.

Tell me what you think
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2009-06-04 at 01:01 PM.

as Moira

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Immortal Shadows Works as follows:
    • Shadowcaster 1 is in old age. He casts immortal shadows and becomes middle age, getting +1 Str, Dex, and Con and he ceases to age for 24 hours.
    • After 24 hours, he reverts back to old age, losing those ability scores again (but not gaining a new set of bonuses, which he never lost in the first place).
    • If he casts immortal shadows a second time 6 hours into the casting, the remaining duration is reset to 24 hours but shadowcaster 1 doesn't regress another category

In short, this is just an immortality engine, something that is surprisingly hard to do through magic alone (AKA: without becoming undead or taking a PRC) and thus makes a fitting, if subpar, 9th level mystery.

Do I have to reword this mystery in any way?
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2009-06-04 at 11:07 PM.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

8. - Top - End - #128

NecromancerGirl

I guess not Ok i had a different (and as it seems wrong) impression about the mystery. Given that explanation i believe it needs no tweaking.

as Moira

9. - Top - End - #129

NecromancerGirl

EDIT: Another question
    Shadowy Stunt
    Class: Rogue
    Special Requirement: Knowledge (the planes) 5 ranks
    Level: 10th,13th,16, or 19th
    Replaces: This alternate class feature replaces the special ability gained at each level that it is taken.
    Benefit: The Rogue selects any Fundamental of Shadow or Apprentice Mystery and can cast it as a shadowcaster with a caster level of 1/2 the rogue’s class level, so long as their intelligence score is at least 10+the mystery’s level. The save dc of the mystery is determined by the Rogues Charisma modifier.

How many times per day and at which grade (i.e. spell, spell like ability, supernatural ability) do they use the mystery?
    Could you answer this question?
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2011-01-19 at 03:16 PM.

as Moira

10. - Top - End - #130
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd say they cast it as a shadowcaster of half their rogue level.

Nice pictures, again ! I'm going to save a few of them for later reuse.
    My old characters (I don't game on this board anymore) --- Avatar by Castaras

"Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OK, I've officially been lured back.

I wrote up stuff for the Ranger (only Rogue, Sorcerer, and Wizard to go over there).

Also, I modified shadowy stunt to answer the questions. You get it twice per day (though I'm ameanable to thrice per day if anyone thinks it wise) and cast whatever you get as an arcane spell.

To prevent craziness, I reworded it a bit so you choose a 0- or 1st-level mystery (or fundamental).

This was my intention from the first place. Rogues don't need killing shadows.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2009-06-12 at 01:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

NecromancerGirl

Flicker would be a more compelling choice
    But a 1st level mystery is weaker than constant improved evasion, cripling strike or skill mastery, not to mention ToB maneuvers gained through feats. So yeah making it 3/day isn't dangerous and may i add the suggestion that it follows the shaowcaster path progression? (that means if the rogue spent 3 special abilities to gain 3 mysteries, one of them could be 2nd level). That puts some scaling to the ability.

as Moira

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I just took your suggestion.
    Also, I put up more information, for the rogue this time (2 more to go).

14. - Top - End - #134

I'm working my way through this; it's completely brilliant! I've been proofreading the new mysteries though, and I've got a few comments. I'm only about halfway through them right now, so more will follow.

Antimagic Burst: Why is the radius of the effect 20ft., but the radius of the activation 30ft.?

Beast Within: The claws are considered primary natural attacks, so does that mean that the bite is secondary? Do you still take the normal -5 penalty to attack rolls with the bite on a full attack or with the claw on a full attack with a weapon? Multiple natural weapon rules are very poorly misunderstood in general, so not a bad idea to specify exactly how it works for people that don’t know.

Black Pyre: It’s very unclear about the target for the different parts of the effect. Make sure you specify whether it’s you or the victim gaining the healing/harming effect, for instance. Just proofread it.

Blade Denied: Reverse Arrows isn’t a core spell, so you might be better off writing out the effect. For instance, I have no idea what it’s supposed to do since I don’t have a copy of SC at the moment.

Call to Twilight: Really not very good for a 4th level mystery. It’s all preoccupied talking about the downside to it. Spice it up a bit?

Conjure Codex: Really cool, but does it summon a book with arcane spells in it, or mysteries? It doesn’t say. Do you cast them like arcane spells, or like musteries as normal for you?

Contingent Shadow: “Given mystery”: does that mean any mystery you want, or do you specify the mystery affected by this effect when you activate the contingency?

Create Mystery Turret: No problems, just wanted to say it’s AWESOME.

Curse of Silence: Who specifies the command word? Does the target automatically know what it is? Do they know the consequences if they speak it?

Dark Transfiguration: The second difference listed between this and alter self isn’t clear. What does “the maximum HD of the intended form to reach 20 HD at 20th level” mean? Needs to be cleaned up.

Ebon Premonition: You should give guidelines to the DM for when he should give a result of “success” as opposed to “apparent success”, and “failure” as opposed to “apparent failure”.

Eclipse: The range on this spell should be 0ft., or it should simply have a target of personal.

Faceless Shadow: I think you should specify that it can only be cast on creatures with a face. As opposed to, say, an ooze. Or a beholder. Or a plant.

Freezing Rift: What if you open up the gate on an occupied square?

Ghostly Blade: The level should be 0, since it’s a fundamental. I think?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    I'm working my way through this; it's completely brilliant! I've been proofreading the new mysteries though, and I've got a few comments. I'm only about halfway through them right now, so more will follow.

Antimagic Burst: Why is the radius of the effect 20ft., but the radius of the activation 30ft.?

Beast Within: The claws are considered primary natural attacks, so does that mean that the bite is secondary? Do you still take the normal -5 penalty to attack rolls with the bite on a full attack or with the claw on a full attack with a weapon? Multiple natural weapon rules are very poorly misunderstood in general, so not a bad idea to specify exactly how it works for people that don’t know.

Black Pyre: It’s very unclear about the target for the different parts of the effect. Make sure you specify whether it’s you or the victim gaining the healing/harming effect, for instance. Just proofread it.

Blade Denied: Reverse Arrows isn’t a core spell, so you might be better off writing out the effect. For instance, I have no idea what it’s supposed to do since I don’t have a copy of SC at the moment.

Call to Twilight: Really not very good for a 4th level mystery. It’s all preoccupied talking about the downside to it. Spice it up a bit?

Conjure Codex: Really cool, but does it summon a book with arcane spells in it, or mysteries? It doesn’t say. Do you cast them like arcane spells, or like musteries as normal for you?

Contingent Shadow: “Given mystery”: does that mean any mystery you want, or do you specify the mystery affected by this effect when you activate the contingency?

Create Mystery Turret: No problems, just wanted to say it’s AWESOME.

Curse of Silence: Who specifies the command word? Does the target automatically know what it is? Do they know the consequences if they speak it?

Dark Transfiguration: The second difference listed between this and alter self isn’t clear. What does “the maximum HD of the intended form to reach 20 HD at 20th level” mean? Needs to be cleaned up.

Ebon Premonition: You should give guidelines to the DM for when he should give a result of “success” as opposed to “apparent success”, and “failure” as opposed to “apparent failure”.

Eclipse: The range on this spell should be 0ft., or it should simply have a target of personal.

Faceless Shadow: I think you should specify that it can only be cast on creatures with a face. As opposed to, say, an ooze. Or a beholder. Or a plant.

Freezing Rift: What if you open up the gate on an occupied square?

Ghostly Blade: The level should be 0, since it’s a fundamental. I think?
    No time for a big reply as I'm going to work but I can do some small answers right now.

Antimagic Burst: I think this was just a mistake (though I don't remember which number was right). Although 20 feet seems more manageable, I'll go with 30 as mysteries tend to be a bit stronger than their counterparts.

Beast Within: You guessed my intentions but I have a hard time writing out all of that primary/secondary attack stuff. I'll revise the wording soon enough.

Black Pyre: The target suffers all effects. I'll make that more clear (when I have the time).

Blade Denied: The unfortunate problem is that if I quote the actual words of the spell, that would be revealing non-core material, possibly getting this entire thread closed by moderators.

Call to Twilight: I'll see what I can do to add some "spice".

Conjure Codex: It's supposed to be arcane spells. I'll specify this.

Contingent Mystery: Basically, once during the duration of this mystery, you can cast a mystery as an immediate action. I'll make this more clear.

Create Spell Turret: Thank you.

Curse of Silence: I don't even remember how the mystery works right now so I'll adress this later (stupid memory)

Dark Transfiguration: The max HD of your chosen form caps at 20 HD when your caster level reaches 20. I will make this more clear.

Ebon Premonition: I'll make a behind the curtain for this mystery.

Eclipse: Once again, I'll check this later.

Faceless Shadow: You may have a point (but beholders have faces. In fact, there's not much else to them).

Freezing Rift: I'll give some thought to this.

Ghostly Blade: Some fundamentals are 1st level. Others are 0 level. Strange but true.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm not sure if this topic has already been discussed, but when I reviewed Twilight Paranoia, I was left a bit confused. In the mystery's description, it addresses three negative effects: 1) affected creatures are considered flanked; 2) affected creatures have a -4 to saving throws versus fear effects; and 3) "you" are unable to benefit from aid another.

Was the third effect intentionally written to penalize the caster of the mystery? Somehow I doubt it. The third effect should be written in the third person (i.e., they) instead of the second person (you).

Twilight Paranoia
    Initiate, Twilight Conspiracy
    Level/School: 4th/Enchantment
    Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
    Area: 40-foot radius emanation
    Duration: 10 minutes/level
    Saving Throw None
    Spell Resistance: Yes

As the energies of shadow play among your hands, so too do they play among the minds of your enemies, creating perceptions of unseen foes, perhaps in each other.

All creatures in the area of this mystery have their senses sharpened, gaining a bonus to spot and listen checks equal to 1/2 of your caster level.
    However, this benefit has its price, as creatures in the area see potential for ambush, spies, and betrayal at each turn. First of all, all creatures in the area are considered flanked. Secondly, they take a –4 penalty on saving throws against fear affects. Lastly, you are unable to coordinate yourself with others in your group. No creature in the area can willingly use the aid another action or administer advantageous magic to another. Charms are not enough to force cooperation but compulsions are.
    Last edited by DCironlich; 2009-06-23 at 12:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

NecromancerGirl

I was reading through the feats section and i had a couple of questions.

Shadowy spellcaster: Constitution damage is a small price to pay especially with restoration/unveil/heal spells around. Make it a) constitution burn (unable to be healed magically, heals only naturally) or b) cant cast highest level spell or mystery with the use of this feat.

Protective Shadows: Its 2 SR per feat, and a normal character gains 7 feats until lvl 18. So i will have SR 14 at lvl 18? Make it 3 or 4 SR per feat.
    Sorry i must learn how to read

Wisps of Shadow: IMO the effect is too weak to warrant a standard action to cast (-10 ft darkvision, -2 Spot). I suggest lowering the cast time to move or even swift action.

Blast of Cold: What is the range of the effect?

Fading Arcanna: The +15 limit on the dispel check is IMO strange. Dispel Magic at 6th level gives +20. Either make it +20 or lower the required mystery to abandon to 5th level (where a +15 limit would be more appropriate).

Shadow's Freedom: Usually ability penalties last for a limited amount of time. You dont specify when the dexterity penalty will wear off.

EDIT: just checked the Twilight gap mystery. Shouldn't it have the [Death] descriptor?

EDIT 2: The conjure codex has a typo in the short description. It allows spells of up to 4th level to exist and be cast from the spell book not 3rd. Also you mention that the scribed spells are effectively mysteries (but they need verbal, somatic, material components). I can use metashadow feats on them, right?

EDIT 3: About the Shadowy Combatant feat. Even if i take this feat i wont wear light armor because i will have the normal spell failure chance from it. Why not give them the ability to cast without spell failure from light armor (like the battle caster feats). After all most shadow casters will take the still mystery feat and i don't think that it is that powerful even if you take battlecaster (medium armor) later.

EDIT 4:
    Lastly, if Shadow Ore is exposed to even trace amounts of another type of metal during the forging process, the shadow ore gains that metal’s properties (with the exception of weight) for 1 after completion. Only one type of metal can be imitated at a time.
    You forgot to mention for how long shadow ore imitates the metal's properties.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2010-02-08 at 07:42 PM.

as Moira

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

1st i have to say great work to all of you.

I allways played shadow-themed sorcerors (shadow adept, shadow crafter...) and i own the "tome of magic" and i amplaying shadowcaster ever since.
    i play as DM and in a party as 20 lvl.
    -shadow immertion+pertistent is not that much op even with 2*favorite mystey (so it is SU-ability and it is not dispellable) u can die with a single dijuction
    -the shadow essence feat that gives +2SR/feat is good as it is. i should remind u that "boost SR" feat gives +2 SR and does not give anything else. also the shadow essence feat stucks with other sources of SR.
    -most of the spells is ballanced exept:
    lengthen shadows is good but remove the 1 month put it 24hr and put CR adjastements of the target.
    Desires Manifest -2 penalty for 1 year is too much. think what u want for it, u want it 1/day? say that shadows remove the spell for 24hrs, put 10 mins casting so that the players do not do it in combact. but even so it is not OverPowered. i am used that my players do limited wish, wish and miracle atleast every emcounter. (with the super-broken thought bottle XP means nothing)
    I do not remeber the name of the mystery (the one that makes ppl rerol dices) i play undead i am imune to the negative effects of the spell? (imune to negatice lvls) also i make it persistent and start spamming rerolls i can move around with +9999999999deflection? put the -lvls count to undeds too and have max uses ecual too your hd (not CL)

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

without a trace is too much for 3lvl mystery (it is better than supperior invisible) you do not mention if with regular senses u can track him, also there is allways persistent :P
    with persisten shadow immertion i get unlimited uses of it so i presistent empower bloster, shadow skin, (dancing shadows it not that much atleast in our campaing)
    i keep contigency for counter and i keep immediate action to ingore the backlash damage of shadow immertion if i get dijuctioned
    i do not know it this was inteded but the only thing that was good with all this is the DR15/- from shadow skin (most enemies use epic weapons)
    and the SR cause it is CL-based
    i can suggest shadow immertion stays as it is but with cl/based
    cause a shadow caster can get a 9lvl mystery at 16lvl and there it is unbalanced.
    if u want to stop this kind of abuse juast say that persistent is usable on only 1 mystery (if u want it for 2nd u have to retake it and by this means that u only have to get meatshadow feats)
    finally i have to say that in epic lvls insightfull shadowcaster gaved me +8cl put the bonus as enchament bonus so it does not stuck with items.

PS: do not give the shadowcaster abilities like mettle the constant cha on saves is too much (make it a resistance bonus or luck so it does not stuck with everything)

have u thought to add piersing cold metashadow?
    friging orbs does not have max-cl i have at that moment 38cl (items+wis+path focus+shadow focus and i interupted a 6lvl spell (i am a nocturalmancer)) all this at 20 lvl i quicken cast a flood of shadows and max-empower(*2 with flood) frigit orbs i do the maths and it is for 912 damage, he uses deathward from his shield and he had 20 cold resistance. no damage at all

20. - Top - End - #140

NecromancerGirl

While waiting for comments by the creator, i will try to answer some of your comments
    Quote Originally Posted by CaBaaL View Post
    -shadow immertion+pertistent is not that much op even with 2*favorite mystey (so it is SU-ability and it is not dispellable) u can die with a single dijuction
    Disjunction does not affect supernatural abilities, only spell and spell like.

-the shadow essence feat that gives +2SR/feat is good as it is. i should remind u that "boost SR" feat gives +2 SR and does not give anything else. also the shadow essence feat stucks with other sources of SR.
    True.
    lengthen shadows is good but remove the 1 month put it 24hr and put CR adjastements of the target.
    Also a logical fix to the mystery since you will be many times facing flat footed opponents.
    Desires Manifest -2 penalty for 1 year is too much. think what u want for it, u want it 1/day? say that shadows remove the spell for 24hrs, put 10 mins casting so that the players do not do it in combact. but even so it is not OverPowered. i am used that my players do limited wish, wish and miracle atleast every emcounter. (with the super-broken thought bottle XP means nothing)
    Dunno about your fix but there is a good reason why thought bottle is banned in many games. Balancing a mystery to a game breaking item sounds like a bad idea to me.
    I do not remeber the name of the mystery (the one that makes ppl rerol dices) i play undead i am imune to the negative effects of the spell? (imune to negatice lvls) also i make it persistent and start spamming rerolls i can move around with +9999999999deflection? put the -lvls count to undeds too and have max uses ecual too your hd (not CL)
    Just state that no matter your immunities you must accept the penalty in order to receive the benefits of the mystery (just as hellfire warlock states)

without a trace is too much for 3lvl mystery (it is better than supperior invisible) you do not mention if with regular senses u can track him, also there is allways persistent :P
    All that without a trace does (just like regular invisibility) is giving you bonuses to hide. You can spot him via normal means (and the glitterdust spell), and the concentration duration is a severe factor against the mystery (you need a feat to partialy offset it as well as buttloads of the concentration skill). Persistent mystery is actually useless to that mystery because you could concentrate for the whole day to be invisible. However he could remove the 1d4 rounds of free invisibility at the end (these make the mystery somewhat strong).
    with persisten shadow immertion i get unlimited uses of it so i presistent empower bloster, shadow skin, (dancing shadows it not that much atleast in our campaing)
    i keep contigency for counter and i keep immediate action to ingore the backlash damage of shadow immertion if i get dijuctioned
    How can you empower bolster since it has no variable numeric effects? Also what immediate action allows you to ignore that much damage except for that one path mastery?
    i do not know it this was inteded but the only thing that was good with all this is the DR15/- from shadow skin (most enemies use epic weapons)
    Try persistent Umbral immunity. with favored mystery. Yeah you got it, undispelable immunity to most negative conditions ALL day. Also many other mysteries presented here coupled with persistent mysteries made my DM cringe.
    cause a shadow caster can get a 9lvl mystery at 16lvl and there it is unbalanced.
    Just asking, how a shadowcaster can get a 9th level mystery at 16th level?

friging orbs does not have max-cl i have at that moment 38cl (items+wis+path focus+shadow focus and i interupted a 6lvl spell (i am a nocturalmancer)) all this at 20 lvl i quicken cast a flood of shadows and max-empower(*2 with flood) frigit orbs i do the maths and it is for 912 damage, he uses deathward from his shield and he had 20 cold resistance. no damage at all
    You raise a good point and while this is close to the damage of a good optimized sorcerer with metamagic abuse, i didn't realize until now that unlike their metamagic counterparts, empower and maximize metashadow do stack properly.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2010-02-09 at 03:37 AM.

as Moira

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

1st my bad, shadowcaster gets 9lvl spell at 17lvl

btw i was reading the epic feats with multispell i cast +1 quicken with the shadow-one (missed the name) i cast cha-modifier? or i can take it cha modifier-times?
    Last edited by CaBaaL; 2010-02-09 at 10:53 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks for fielding those questions, P&L. And now it is time to take a look a them myself.

1st i have to say great work to all of you.
    First of all, thank you.

As pointed out, disjunction does not work on supernatural abilities. Also, I finally went ahead and hit Persistent Mystery with the nerf bat. To better imitate the effects of innate-spell rather than persistent spell, it never affects anything higher than a 3rd level mystery, which should take care of some problems.

The first part is a good point. I don't really know what I was thinking when I made that (probably as I made that particular mystery years ago).
    as for the CR adjustments... I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. Are you telling me to give the player a level adjustment or something?

Hmm... I admit that with thought bottles, XP costs really don't mean anything. However, as stated above, most campaigns outlaw thought bottles (at least when they're being used in such a way). Also, I am a bit reluctant to increase the casting time that there are no mysteries with a casting time longer than a single standard action so far. This isn't meant to be a 1/day ability, to be quite honest. Much like Shadow Immersion, it was meant to be either a last-ditch effort or a goal in and of itself (people dream of gaining immortality or having their wishes fulfilled. Some shadowcasters train themselves to fulfill these desires).

Ah, yes. this is a bit of a pickle. Now that I've fixed the persistent mystery feat, the bonus will never exceed your caster level +10 (if you extend the duration) so a limit isn't quite necessary.
    However, I'm afraid that there is another problem. Although Peacenlove's idea is a good one, there is an unfortunate flaw. If we use his version, where creatures immune to negative levels simply can't benefit from the mystery, a last-minute deathward would stop the mystery a round early but still stop all negative levels, a problem that also exists right now.
    Until a miracle cure is concocted for this poor mystery (either in my head or someone else's), I'll leave this thing as the shadow magic equivalent of celerity + daze immunity.

Well, you seem to forget that without a trace normally requires an action on your part each round just to keep it going, a disadvantage when compared to invisiblity and improved invisibility. Also, unlike with superior invisibility, senses such as blindsense can still track you (not to mention that high spot checks can see you without magical aid)
    As for not stating if senses can track you, I say quite specifically that you turn invisible. You aren't automatically silent and you still have a scent and everything so.. yeah.
    In regards to what Peacenlove has stated about this mystery, I'm afraid that I have to disagree. As written, Persistent Mystery is pretty broken when paired with this mystery. Don't forget that changing the duration to 24 hours foregoes the need to concentrate. As such, I have changes Without a Trace so that It's range is now touch (but targetting others is somewhat impractical), meaning that it can't be persisted.
    Also, I personally don't think that the extra 1d4 rounds is overpowered. This mystery lasts 1d4 rounds longer than Improved Invisibility at most (note the maximum duration of concentration) but doesn't let you really participate in combat for anythign other than those 1d4 rounds. Not too bad, I think.

Well, persisted bolster is no longer possible (same with umbral immunity). Shadowskin is a bit more troublesome but isn't the absolute worst thing ever. I'd tack on a minimum duration for persisted mysteries but I don't know if it's really necessary.

As Peacenlove says, you'd have to show me what crazy loophole lets you get 9th level mysteries at lvl 16. I don't doubt that there is one but I don't see where.
    I don't really see what you want to scale with level? SR already does. Immunity to Death really can't (same with energy immunities and metashadow benefits). If the current benefits from DR, Fast Healing, and Duration (the only three things that could be scaled) aren't broken as they are at 17th level, I can't imagine how scaling them back one level would make a difference for a level 16 character.

if u want to stop this kind of abuse juast say that persistent is usable on only 1 mystery (if u want it for 2nd u have to retake it and by this means that u only have to get meatshadow feats)
    finally i have to say that in epic lvls insightfull shadowcaster gaved me +8cl put the bonus as enchament bonus so it does not stuck with items.
    Again, I just fixed persistent mystery.
    In total, it could only ever be taken 3 times (although the new design stops abilities that grant extra metashadow uses per day).
    Good call with the insightful shadowcaster fix. I have just made it.

PS: do not give the shadowcaster abilities like mettle the constant cha on saves is too much (make it a resistance bonus or luck so it does not stuck with everything)
    I fixed the saving throw bonus but where did I give the shadowcaster mettle? I vaguely remember doing so but I can't find it anywhere. *scratches head*
    Anyhow, given what I have heard from your playing group so far, hearing that giving out mettle is overpowered is a bit odd. If I'm right, though, I know where you're coming from.
    When a campaign gets into high epic levels, many abilities stop being "save-or-die" and start becoming "die-either-way-but-make-a-save-for-the-fun-of-it". With the mettle ability, everything that tries to downright kill or dominate you (everything that epic-level characters deal with daily) becomes less of a a threat.
    The thing is, Mettle would be just as dangerous if it were the class feature of a PrC that didn't make you lose caster levels. Consdering 1) that the problem only comes up at very high levels and that 2) you could get the same effect with 3 levels in hexblade (the loss in CL is made up for by insightful shadowcaster easily), I'm going to say that I see no real problem here.
    Or is there something that I'm missing?

have u thought to add piersing cold metashadow?friging orbs does not have max-cl i have at that moment 38cl (items+wis+path focus+shadow focus and i interupted a 6lvl spell (i am a nocturalmancer)) all this at 20 lvl i quicken cast a flood of shadows and max-empower(*2 with flood) frigit orbs i do the maths and it is for 912 damage, he uses deathward from his shield and he had 20 cold resistance. no damage at all
    I made subduing mystery but that probably isn't what you're looking for (I'm guessing that over 70% of what you fight has regeneration). Perhaps I'll make a metashadow feat to let half of all damage dealt by a mystery become untyped, coming from raw shadowstuff. How does that sound?

I put caps on the number of orbs that the frigid orbs and disastrous orbs mysteries could produce, something that I've been meaning to do. Also, it isn't really a bit deal that the damage is easily dodged. Meteor swarm has the same problem, to a lesser extent. One big selling point of frigid/disastrous orbs (at least in my head) is that you could send it flying over an army of allied skeletons, either targetting your army to heal them or your enemy to harm them (Uttercold assault, I believe the tactic is called).

Once again, thank you CaBaal for stress-testing my material, for putting it into a high-powered arena and seeing what breaks.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-02-09 at 06:32 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sorry for the double-post but I am really sleepy right now and just quoting people seems so much simpler now (but maybe that's just sleep-logic talking).

Quote Originally Posted by peacenlove View Post
    Shadowy spellcaster: Constitution damage is a small price to pay especially with restoration/unveil/heal spells around. Make it a) constitution burn (unable to be healed magically, heals only naturally) or b) cant cast highest level spell or mystery with the use of this feat.
    The damage can no longer be healed naturally.

Wisps of Shadow: IMO the effect is too weak to warrant a standard action to cast (-10 ft darkvision, -2 Spot). I suggest lowering the cast time to move or even swift action.
    Wait, what? Wisps of Shadow immobilizes people. What feat are you looking at? Oh, wait, found it. You were looking as slipping gaze. instead of reducing the activation, i spruced it up a bit (-5 spot, halve darkvision range, and miss chance against all creatures in shadowy illumination and darkness).

Blast of Cold: What is the range of the effect?
    close range, as I just added to the feat.

Fading Arcanna: The +15 limit on the dispel check is IMO strange. Dispel Magic at 6th level gives +20. Either make it +20 or lower the required mystery to abandon to 5th level (where a +15 limit would be more appropriate).
    As I believe I have said quite recently, Dark Store feats are intentionally weaker than normal mysteries/spells. Keep in mind that unless that extra +5 bonus is the only thing keeping you from dispelling a spell, you can effectively take 20 on your dispel check (using the ability over and over).

Shadow's Freedom: Usually ability penalties last for a limited amount of time. You dont specify when the dexterity penalty will wear off.
    I'm not saying where you are getting confused. The feat specifically states that you take a penalty for each creature affected at a given time. Ergo, when the effect wears off, you have fewer creatures affected and the penalty lessens automatically.

EDIT: just checked the Twilight gap mystery. Shouldn't it have the [Death] descriptor?
    Contrary to popular belief, not every save-or-die has the death descriptor. As my evidence, look at implosion. This this literally rips through through space in an incredibly rough way, causing death. It isn't actively trying to crush your life-force and it would make no sense for a character affected by deathward to be unable to use it in a way that doesn't cause death (non-planar travel).

EDIT 2: The conjure codex has a typo in the short description. It allows spells of up to 4th level to exist and be cast from the spell book not 3rd. Also you mention that the scribed spells are effectively mysteries (but they need verbal, somatic, material components). I can use metashadow feats on them, right?
    I fixed the description right up.
    Actually, I did not state that the scribed spells are effectively mysteries. What I did was make a typo and print the phrase "Each mystery within may only be cast once before fading from the codex" when I meant to print the word "spell". As such, there are no metashadow feats to be had, alas.

EDIT 3: About the Shadowy Combatant feat. Even if i take this feat i wont wear light armor because i will have the normal spell failure chance from it. Why not give them the ability to cast without spell failure from light armor (like the battle caster feats). After all most shadow casters will take the still mystery feat and i don't think that it is that powerful even if you take battlecaster (medium armor) later.
    An interesting point to be sure. Very well, the shadowcasters may cast mysteries in their armor.

EDIT 4:

You forgot to mention for how long shadow ore imitates the metal's properties.
    I just added it in. I'd say that 1 month is long enough that it doesn't seem utterly worthless but just short enough that a player might have the effect wear off on their weapon before it is replaced.
    I would go with one week but that just seems too short for anyone to be interested in buying it.

Edit: I just did one more thing that I think might really help. I got rid of improved metashadow mastery and allowed metashadow mastery to be taken multiple times.
    With the new change, the "shadow magic multispell" is now safe. The feat in question does give you a number of quickened mysteries equal to your Cha modifier but now that it is nigh impossible to get an infinite number of quickened mysteries per round, you are going to end up using your full supply very quickly if you decide to go nova.
    In short, instead of selecting quicken spell once and multispell multiple times, you select quicken mystery once, "multispell" once, and metashadow mastery multiple times. I feel that it really brings out the tendancy of the shadowcaster to just go nova in the face of danger.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-02-09 at 07:41 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground

i am using peacenlove's matterial too btw and test them all.
    yesturday i was a dm and brought on my PCs a shadowcasters as enemies. tomorow i play as player and i will use shadowcaster19/monk1/noctoromancer (monk is for the ascetic mage to get cha on AC) i am a human so i get insigthfull shadow caster and Arcane Acknowledgement go get the preqs (i know that i can not stuck 2cl/lvl so i will have in the end:
    19+wis+feats/items for shadowcaster CL and
    10 for sorceror CL

for leghten shadows i ment to add some kind of CR of the target so u can not use it on commoners and get the buff
    Last edited by CaBaaL; 2010-02-09 at 07:42 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

-Black Resistance: the bonus should be resistance/insight or my suggestion luck (so it will not stuck with ruin's delver's fortune)
    -Dark Puppeteer: make it diplomancy check against one attack/round to either attack an other target in reach or stop the attack. (cha-check is too weak in high lvl)
    -Ephemeral Curse: fullround is a bit too much imo if u dissagree consider make it 1r/lvl
    -Escaping Shade: make it lethal if u r undead or imune to nonlethal
    -Roughen Ground: does this stuck with other effects of dificult terain?
    -Scholarly Shadowcaster: this feat counts only my lvls in shadowcaster? (not prestice-classes or multiclass-lvls)
    -Subtle Voice: why only 5ft?
    the rest feats are playtested and cool by me

PS: i do not want to make this post huge by telling u examples, cause i am going to make a char with all mysteries to playtest, but u have some imba feats that are very cool, have synergy, do not lack the flavor of the official shadowcaster and are balanced with other casters' feats/abilities
    GG

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

-Black Resistance: the bonus should be resistance/insight or my suggestion luck (so it will not stuck with ruin's delver's fortune)
    Actually, I think that I'll make it an insight bonus so that it doesn't stack with Embrace of Shadows, an effect that lasts longer than ruin delver's fortune and that imo is more likely to be used alongside it otherwise.

-Dark Puppeteer: make it diplomancy check against one attack/round to either attack an other target in reach or stop the attack. (cha-check is too weak in high lvl)
    The problem with that is the diplomacy is cross-class for several of the shadow-magic users. I went ahead and allowed bluff/diplomacy/intimidate checks to use the ability. Hopefully is it still balanced.

-Ephemeral Curse: fullround is a bit too much imo if u dissagree consider make it 1r/lvl
    I'm on the fence with this idea so I'll take your idea, reducing activation to a standard action and the duration as well.

-Escaping Shade: make it lethal if u r undead or imune to nonlethal
    Nice catch. Fix.

-Roughen Ground: does this stuck with other effects of dificult terain?
    To my knowledge, difficult terrain never stacks with itself. A square filled with heavy undergrowth, rubble, and a bog is just as easy to travel through as a square filled with bog.
    If the rules do not actually work like this, I will make revisions.

-Scholarly Shadowcaster: this feat counts only my lvls in shadowcaster? (not prestice-classes or multiclass-lvls)
    I have actually forgotten why I even put on a limit per day, seeing as its counterpart (forceful shadowcaster) lacks such a limit. I think it happened with someone misread the feat to think you added your full Intelligence score to your Charisma score (rather than just the modifier) and posted that it was overpowered but my memory is vague.

-Subtle Voice: why only 5ft?
    Interesting Point. The telepathy was meant to be kind of weak but that was going too far. I have increased the range to 30 feet.

the rest feats are playtested and cool by me
    Wow. You playtested all of them? You must have been playing using this material for awhile, then.

PS: i do not want to make this post huge by telling u examples, cause i am going to make a char with all mysteries to playtest, but u have some imba feats that are very cool, have synergy, do not lack the flavor of the official shadowcaster and are balanced with other casters' feats/abilities
    GG
    Don't worry about a huge post. you can always put it in spoilers if necessary.

A single shadowcaster with all mysteries? Even with shadow tome, that requires a very high epic level, so high that most mysteries don't scale enough to remain useful. I'm interested to hear how you intend to appraise apprentice mysteries when you are already over level 50.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-02-09 at 04:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

-Absolute Truth: when i told to my DM what this mystery does undeads and constructs seems to fail their 1st fort and go imune to the effect. even with restriction to living targets it is a cool mystery.
    -Arcane Fumes: no spell/ability i have ever read needs 3 saves of the same kind (1 for the item, 1 for blind and last for deaf)
    -Black Pyre: the cold damage does not have max per CL
    -Call Nightwing: nightwing stats are at mm1 p.197 (for more official look )
    -Conjure Codex: make it more clear that the codex has mysteries written on
    -Control Battlefield: give to allies +1 to attack if they have higher ground? EDIT:changed my mind even at 40 lvl its range is huge
    -Cursed Flame: fire damage/ CLASS lvl was intented? or it is a typo? put max cl/damage or reff negate EDIT: nwm 20d4 at 40 lvl is not that much to bother
    -Dark Revival: does this count to undead/constracts? to mindless/animal -inteligent? to plants/elementals/ozzes?
    -Deathless One: can i use it offensively, to make someone unhealable?
    -Desires Manifest: i have some ideas i will make new post only for this when i complite them.
    -Dust to Dust: does not have max CL
    -Invisible Pyre: if the max damage for this is more than 10d6 it is better than fireball
    -Lengthened Shade: state that u can not use it on someone with less than your CR-2 (so ppl can not use it on commoners or rats in the beggining of the day)
    -Stuff of Nightmares: the psedonatural template from complete arcane p.160 i guess and not the epic one
    -Truth Beyond Truth: u may have imune to the side-effects of this one and forcing everone to reroll slow things down, make it count as action on your part (immed. action) or usable 1/round

Things to add:
    add to mysteries shadow illumination/darkness for more flavor
    missing untimagic ray/field
    Last edited by CaBaaL; 2010-02-09 at 06:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

i am playing shadowcaster more than 1 year and i play with your material some weeks now i recently added peacenlove's material too.
    i playtested till now mostly as DM tomorow its time for PC version i will get leadership to have a controler shadowcaster and a blaster one (maybe i will add a simulacrum with spellsharing bracers to give me free actions)
    Last edited by CaBaaL; 2010-02-09 at 06:32 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

-Absolute Truth: when i told to my DM what this mystery does undeads and constructs seems to fail their 1st fort and go imune to the effect. even with restriction to living targets it is a cool mystery.
    Thank you.

-Arcane Fumes: no spell/ability i have ever read needs 3 saves of the same kind (1 for the item, 1 for blind and last for deaf)
    I am well aware. Arcane Fumes is meant, quite bluntly, to fight against wizards. They need a spellbook? Let's kill that. They need actions to cast spells? Nauseated. They need to see their targets? Blindness. Low Fort save? Muwahahahaha.
    In all honesty, however, most wizards (or at least most wizards in your campaigns, if I'm guessing correctly) would respond with a celerity spell to cast dimension door (or teleport) and move out of range, making the ability moot (unless you are benefitting from a flicker effect yourself, letting you follow the enemy and still nail them... I think). Still, the mystery is good for making low-level wizards cry.

-Black Pyre: the cold damage does not have max per CL
    I just put a maximum cap on it, albeit one of the highest ones that I have ever made.

-Call Nightwing: nightwing stats are at mm1 p.197 (for more official look )
    Technically, I don't really know of many other spells that give specific page references for what they summon but I admit that they do exist. The mention has been added.

-Conjure Codex: make it more clear that the codex has mysteries written on
    Nope. The codex has normal arcane spells (as can be found on the bard and wizard spell lists). I added a couple clarifying statements to make that clear. To make it clear, conjure codex isn't a bad mystery.

-Cursed Flame: fire damage/ CLASS lvl was intented? or it is a typo? put max cl/damage or reff negate EDIT: nwm 20d4 at 40 lvl is not that much to bother
    Not quite a typo but not my intention either. That was the very first mystery that I ever printed, before I planned out other base classes. I never considered anything other than a full shadowcaster using it (in retrospect however, I should've considered PrCs).
    In any case, the problem has been fixed.

-Dark Revival: does this count to undead/constracts? to mindless/animal -inteligent? to plants/elementals/ozzes?
    I understand why you ask if it affects undead/constructs (I just fixed the mystery so it doesn't) but animals? Returning something to life does not depend on intelligence. I have, however, stated that it can revive any living thing (which means yes to outsiders).

-Deathless One: can i use it offensively, to make someone unhealable?
    Yup. Doesn't fully stop regeneration but at least it lets you knock such foes unconscious.

-Desires Manifest: i have some ideas i will make new post only for this when i complite them.
    I await with great interest.

-Dust to Dust: does not have max CL
    Added one. A bit lower than some of my others but blasting the creatures away deals extra damage to make up the difference.

-Invisible Pyre: if the max damage for this is more than 10d6 it is better than fireball
    Yes, this is very intentional. Because you get access to fewer mysteries than a spellcaster gets spells (at least with most spellcasters), mysteries are generally allowed to be more powerful. Also, this is the top mystery of a path, meaning that a small power boost on top of that is permissable to reward the player for going through the entire path.

-Lengthened Shade: state that u can not use it on someone with less than your CR-2 (so ppl can not use it on commoners or rats in the beggining of the day)
    Actually, I can picture some huge "archmage" shadowcaster keeping a "human farm" to use this ability and keep up defenses. That was part of my thought process when I made the ability.
    As a compromise, however, I changed it so that the immunities last for 1 hour/4 HD of the target (creatures with under 4 HD grant no benefits).

-Stuff of Nightmares: the psedonatural template from complete arcane p.160 i guess and not the epic one
    I was actually torn between referencing Complete Arcane, Manual of the Planes, and Lords of Madness (all of which have that template) but I ended up using complete arcane as suggested.

-Truth Beyond Truth: u may have imune to the side-effects of this one and forcing everone to reroll slow things down, make it count as action on your part (immed. action) or usable 1/round
    Good point about dragging combat down. I chose the 1/round option to let the caster keep their immediate action.

Things to add:
    add to mysteries shadow illumination/darkness for more flavor
    missing untimagic ray/field
    As for shadowy illumination and darkness, I'll have to look and see what mysteries it would make sense to add it to.

As for the missing antimagic ray/field, lovenpeace's Magic Denial mystery is antimagic ray and my antimagic burst is probably the closes that I'll come to remaking the actual antimagic field (duration lowered to one round but it comes with a contingent trigger, doesn't target you, and it comes with an area dispel effect [which again doesn't target you]).

30. - Top - End - #150

NecromancerGirl

While i have provided a link to you via mail with corrections to the path masteries proposed by cieyrin, I need to second the need for a revision to the subtle voice path mastery. I propose instead of telepathy, it allows the caster to eavesdrop on telepathic communication, detecting creatures that currently communicate with telepathy and what are they saying in a 30 ft radius. (not unlike the telepathy tap sanctified spell in BoED)

as Moira