You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Critters

1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Critters

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelantern View Post
    I want golens! gimme golens! \o/

Specially Bell Golem and the Booze Golem, me and some friends are working in a project about taverns, would mind if we use them? xP
    Sure, go ahead it's why I post them. Here are the Golems, will be back to add in the formatting later today:

Bell Golem
    Large Construct
    Hit Dice: 12d10+30 (96 hp)
    Initiative: -1
    Speed: 20 (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 22 (-1 Size, -1 Dex, +14 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 22
    Base Attack/ Grapple: +9/+20
    Attack: Slam +14 melee (2d10+7+1d10 Sonic)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +14 melee (2d10+7+1d10 Sonic)
    Special Attacks: Berserk, Bell-like Fists, Bong
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Damage Reduction 10/ Adamantine, Dark Vision
    60, Immunity to Magic, Low-light Vision
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 25, Dex 8, Con --, Int --, Wis 11, Cha 1
    Skills: ---
    Feats: ---
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary, or Gang (2-4)
    Challenge Rating: 10
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Neutral
    Advancement: 13-18 HD (large), 19 33 HD (huge)
    Level Adjustment: ---

"Standing in front of the church is an automated Golem whose body appears to be a huge bell. Hmm.. Don't see that every day. The local clergy is either putting on a display of wealth, or one of thems made a drunken bet again..."

Originally conceived by a group of clerics known for their spectacular displays of public drunkenness, these are primarily the guardians of churches and the like. They appear to be a large, metal, bell shaped humanoid with bell like fists.

Bell-Like Fists (Su): The Bell Golem's hands are replaced with large metal bells that bong loudly when striking a victim doing +1d10 Sonic Damage.

Berserk (Ex): When a Bell Golem enters combat there is a cumulative 1% chance per round it goes berserk and attacks the nearest living (or moving) creature near it until none are left. Once a Bell Golem goes berserk there is no known method of re establishing control.

Bong (Su): The Bell Golem's somewhat hollow body is a large bell itself, and it bongs loudly when struck, especially by blunt weapons. When hit by a weapon everyone within a 20' radius takes Sonic damage equal to half the damage done by the weapon hit (full damage if it was a blunt weapon).

Immune to Magic (Ex): Bell Golems are immune to any spell or spell like ability that allows Spell Resistance. However, spells doing Sonic Damage cause it to Bong, doing half the spells damage to everyone else within 20'

Combat: Bell Golems tend to wade in and start smacking away. They don't really have any sense of tactics other than to go for opponents with blunt weapons first.

Construction: A Bell Golem is made from 600 pounds of brass and other metals treated with rare alchemical compounds costing at least 2000 GP. Assembling the Body requires a DC 20 Craft (alchemy) check.

CL 11th; Craft Construct (see MM page 303), Animate Object, Geas/Quest, Shout, Caster must be 11th Level. Price 50000 GP; Cost 25000 GP + 1000 XP

Booze Golem
    Large Construct
    Hit Dice: 10d10+30 (85 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 17 (-1 Size, +3 Dex, +5 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple:+7/+20
    Attack: Slam +15 melee (1d8+9)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +15 melee (1d8+9)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Engulf, Berserk, Intoxication, Improved Grab
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Immunity to Magic, Dark Vision 60 ft., Low Light Vision, Damage Reduction 10/-, Fluid Body
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 29, Dex 16, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
    Skills:-
    Feats: -
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating:10??
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 11-15 HD (large), 16 30 HD (huge)
    Level Adjustment:---

"Dude...dude we SO have to fight this monster.."

Long beloved by Gnomes, Dwarves, and Halflings who all claim to have invented it. The Booze Golem is a tall vaguely humanoid shape composed of some form of alcohol. They think of it as a way to have the Rum protect itself when the army is on the march. And if the Golem is slain it becomes gallons and gallons of booze. There is also a secret code word which when said will make the Golem dissolve back into a pile of alcohol. This code word is chosen by it's creator at the time it is made, and only works for him.

Berserk (Ex): When a Booze Golem enters combat there is a cumulative 1% chance per round it goes berserk and attacks the nearest living (or moving) creature near it until none are left. Once a Booze Golem goes berserk there is no known method of re establishing control.

Improved Grab (Ex): A Booze Golem that successfully hits with a Slam attack can immediately make a Grapple check as a Free Action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it succeeds it can use it's Engulf attack on any opponent 1 Size Class smaller than itself.

Engulf (Ex): Any living creature that requires air and that is Pinned successfully in a Grapple by a Engulf begins to drown (see DMG page 304). If it escapes drowning it risks becoming intoxicated (see below).

Intoxication (Ex): Each round a living, corporeal opponent is Engulfed it must make a Fortitude Save. DC of the Saving Throw is 10 plus half hit dice plus Constitution modifier, plus a Racial Bonus based on the type of alcohol the Golem is composed of (Ale, Diluted Spirits, or Wine +1/Fortified Wine or Stout Ale +2/Most Spirits +3/Strong Spirits +4/Dangerous Spirits +5). The opponent gains a cumulative -2 to the Saving Throw roll per round engulfed. If he fails he takes 1d2 temporary Dex and Wisdom damage each time the Saving Throw is failed. If Wisdom is reduced to 0 the opponent passes out. If Dexterity is reduced to 0 the opponent is helpless, but just barely conscious. If both go to 0, the opponent must make a second Fortitude Save (same DC) to avoid alcohol poisoning. If he fails he takes 1 temporary point of Con damage every 10 minutes until death, or his stomach is purged. Neutralize or Delay Poison will stop or delay this, and creatures immune to poison are immune to Intoxication. Once the encounter is over the opponent regains 1 point of Wisdom and Dexterity each hour, providing it consmes no more alcohol. Alcohol poisoning heals 1 point of Con per day as usual.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A Booze Golem is immune to any spell or spell like ability that allows Spell Resistance. The exceptions are spells doing Fire or Cold damage. Spells doing Cold slow the Golem down as the Slow spell for 4 rounds (no Save). Fire spells cause it to explode if it fails a Fortitude Save(the explosion is similar to a Fireball spell cast by a 10th level caster). DC of Fort Save is equal to 10 plus 1 per die of damage the fire spell does.

Fluid Body (Ex): The Booze Golem can take a Full Round action to pass through any porous barrier (i.e. a fence or net, not a solid wall). At rest it appears to be a puddle of alcohol.

Combat: Booze Golems go straight for the Grapple, and when one opponent is stone drunk (or dead) they move on to the next.

Construction: A Booze Golem is made from 72 gallons of alcohol costing at least 1000 GP. Assembling the Body requires a DC 20 Craft (alchemy) check.

CL 11th; Craft Construct (see MM page 303), Animate Object, Geas/Quest, Animate Water, Caster must be 11th Level. Price 50000 GP; Cost 25000 GP + 1000 XP
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-12-03 at 06:01 AM.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

2. - Top - End - #32

Armordillo
    Small Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 2d8+10 (19 hp)
    Initiative: -2
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), Burrow 5 ft.
    Armor Class: 33 (+1 Size, -2 Dex, +24 Natural), touch 9, flat-footed 33
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
    Attack: Nibble +2 melee (1d3)
    Full Attack: Nibble +2 melee (1d3)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: -
    Special Qualities: Dark Vision 60 ft., Damage Reduction 10/-, Energy Resistance 20 (all types), Immunities, Hard to Budge, Scent, Fortified
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +1, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 6, Con 20, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 2
    Skills: Listen +5, Spot +4
    Feats: Alertness
    Environment: Warm Plains
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Advancement: 3-4 HD (Small)

"Martha...I just broke my sledgehammer on thet critter's head. Time to call the professionals..."

The Armordillo appears to be a normal armadillo in all respects except 3:

It is a voracious devourer of vegetable crops.
    It is incredibly heavy (200 pounds) for it's size.
    It has no fear.

Whether it was created , or evolved naturally, 10 out of 10 farmers agree the Armordillo has to go. The problem is how. The things are dman near invulnerable, so unless they're willing to shell out serious money for high level mages, they're stuck with them.

Immunities (Ex): The Armordillo is immune to Fear or morale based effects. It is also immune to non lethal damage, and cannot be Stunned, Dazed, or Staggered. It is immune to the Magic Missile spell.

Fortified (Ex): If an enemy confirms a critical result on an attack roll the Armordillo has a 50% chance of making it just a normal hit.

Hard to Budge (Ex):The Armordillo does not take a Size Penalty when resisting Grapple, Bull Rush, or Trip checks. It also has a +4 Racial Bonus when resisting such checks.

Combat: Armordillo's never initiate combat. They go about their business of devouring crops, and sometimes even ignore attackers if they can't manage to do any damage. The sight of a bunch of villagers breaking their farming tools on the back of a small critter has stunned more than one PC.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-12-20 at 06:51 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    Sure, go ahead it's why I post them. Here are the Golems, will be back to add in the formatting later today:
    What I meant is to use it in a E-book, me and some friends are trying to create this Ultima Tavern Guide... but there is one problem, we are all brazilians and thus portuguese speaking, is unlikely that we will ever translate the thing to english, any problems?

Also, I liked both golens (could you post the other golens? and the dire nymph? and the yellow beholder? and...) but shouldn't the Booze Golem be vulnerable to fire? something like "if gets any fire damage it will burn for X rounds" or "If takes X fire damage it will explode!"

=D
    Pround Founder and Master Teamancer of the The Outstanding Banjo Teaparty Club!

Hate-a-miko-mancer of the Miko Anti-fanclub

Spoiler
    Show
    You can now make a will save.

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    There's a little part of every one of us that doesn't care exactly what we're humping.

4. - Top - End - #34

What I meant is to use it in a E-book, me and some friends are trying to create this Ultima Tavern Guide... but there is one problem, we are all brazilians and thus portuguese speaking, is unlikely that we will ever translate the thing to english, any problems?

Also, I liked both golens (could you post the other golens? and the dire nymph? and the yellow beholder? and...) but shouldn't the Booze Golem be vulnerable to fire? something like "if gets any fire damage it will burn for X rounds" or "If takes X fire damage it will explode!"

=D
    As long as you give me credit I have no problem, but I posted these on the Wizards boards a while back. And someone tells me if I post it on their boards, they own it. One of the reasons other than 4e im considering a move here.

Alcohol only burns if it's above a certain proof. And if it is it burns fast, so it would be like an explosion.
    Orcs and Goblins

5. - Top - End - #35

will format in a bit

Dire Nymph
    Medium Fey
    Hit Dice: 8d6+20 (48 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), swim 15 ft.
    Armor Class: 17 (+1 Dex, +2 Deflection, +2 natural armor), touch 13, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+12
    Attack: Club + 8 melee (1d8+4/19-20)
    Full Attack: Club +8 melee (1d8+4/19-20)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Fury, Spell-like abilities, Stunning Glance
    Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/ cold iron, low-light vision, powerful build,
    Unusual grace, wild empathy
    Saves: Fort + 8, Ref + 9, Will + 11
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 15
    Skills: Concentration +11, Climb +10, Diplomacy +8, Handle Animal +11, Heal +12,
    Hide + 10, Intimidate +6, Listen +12, Move Silently +10, Ride +8, Sense Motive +12, Spot
    +12, Swim +10, Use Rope +6
    Feats: Combat Casting, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Cleave
    Environment: Temperate Forests
    Challenge Rating: 8??
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually Chaotic Good
    Advancement: 11-13 HD (Medium), 14-18 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment: +6

"Wow you are wicked hot for a bigger woman"

"DID YOU JUST CALL ME FAT!?!?!?!"

"Uuuuhh...no I uh...I said you were hot.."

"YOU BETTER LEARN TO RUN _____"

Dire Nymphs were formerly Nymph's of exceptional beauty. Eventually some ticked off a god or some other powerful entity who cursed them to become more....buxom (for lack of a better term). With their newly gained weight the Nymph's were no longer able to blind opponents with their beauty and many became suicidal. Others became inexplicably frisky, and many new Dire Nymphs were created. In any event most Dire Nymphs left their seclusion and headed for more urban areas. They were quickly nicknamed "Pudgy" Nymphs by the less wise (who were promptly beaten within an inch of their lives). Nowadays they are rarely referred to as Nymphs in their presence (many going out of their way to find as polite as euphemism as they can). Dire Nymphs appear to be regular Nymphs plus 10 or 20 pounds. They speak Common and Sylvan.

Fury(Ex): If a Dire Nymph is in any way referred to as fat, unattractive, or feels insulted (and they insult easily) or is hurt or in combat she goes into a Fury. This is similar to the Barbarian Rage and lasts as long and has the same restrictions. But instead of the standard ability adjustments the Nymph gains the following: Immune to Confused, Dazed, Dazzled, Fatigued, Fear, Nauseated, Paralysis, Sickened, Staggered, Stunned, and all Mind Affecting effects. She also is immune to pain and takes no penalties from spells like Symbol of Pain.

Stunning Glance (Su):An angry Dire Nymph may stun a creature within 30 feet with a look. It must make a DC 16 Fort save or be Stunned for 2d4 rounds. Save DC is Charisma based.

Spell Like Abilities (Sp):A Dire Nymph casts spells as a 9th level Druid. Typical Druid spells prepared (6/5/5/4/2/1, Save DC is 13 plus spell level). 0=Detect Magic, Guidance x3, Resistance x2. 1=Jump, Foundation of Stone, Longstrider, Ram's Might, Shillelagh. 2=Barkskin, Bear's Strength, Bull's Endurance, Mountain Stance, Spider Climb. 3=Lion's Charge, Thunderous Roar, Tremor. 4=Essence of the Raptor, Spark of Vitality. 5=Stoneskin.

Powerful Build (Ex): Identical to the racial ability listed in page 12 of the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Unusual Grace (Su):A Dire Nymph adds her Charisma bonus to her Saves and as a Deflection Bonus to her Armor Class.

Wild Empathy(Ex): This works like the Druids class feature except the Dire Nymph has a +6 racial bonus on the check.

Combat: Dire Nymph's usually buff themselves as much as possible before combat if they know it's coming. Unless the Fury takes them. Then they tend to simply go berserk and wade into the fight.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-12-11 at 06:16 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

The Armordillo's pretty neat!
    I think you should make a more advanced version that has some defences though. As it is a child with a wand of magic missile can kill it. Surely it would evolve some defences against that?
    How about when it rolls up into a ball it gets hardness 10?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

That armordillo is more than CR 1. Though it won't deal much damage, it will be dealing damage while the PCs will be dealing none for most of the fight. It's at least 3rd level before they can get the resources to hurt it more often than once every three rounds or so (without wasting all your spells on magic missile - if you've spent all your spells to kill it, it's earned its CR), so it's at least CR 3.
    Last edited by MythMage; 2008-03-22 at 12:44 PM.
    Everything I wanted to know about the planes I learned at Dicefreaks.

Projects to watch:
    City of Seven Seraphs for PF from Lost Spheres Publishing
    The Faerie Ring: Along the Twisting Way for PF and 5e from Zombie Sky Press
    Psionics Guide for Starfinder from Dreamscarred Press

8. - Top - End - #38

Formatted the Dire Nymph, tweaked the Armordillo.

Up next, more golems!
    Orcs and Goblins

9. - Top - End - #39

DruidGuy

As long as you give me credit I have no problem, but I posted these on the Wizards boards a while back. And someone tells me if I post it on their boards, they own it. One of the reasons other than 4e im considering a move here.
    No problem about the credit. And I am not sure if they actually do something like you said.

Alcohol only burns if it's above a certain proof. And if it is it burns fast, so it would be like an explosion.
    Don't forget what is really important here:

Fire.
    Fire!!! =D

Spoiler
    Show

There's a little part of every one of us that doesn't care exactly what we're humping.

10. - Top - End - #40

I can't remember where it's at, but there were some really ticked off people about it a while back. If you post material on Wizards board you give them the license to use it. Sucks huh?

Aaaand here's another Golem:

Gunpowder Golem
    Medium Construct
    Hit Dice: 2d10 +20 (31 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 40 (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10
    Base Attack/ Grapple: +1/ +2
    Attack: Slam + 2 melee (1d4+1)
    Full Attack: Slam +2 melee (1d4+1)
    Space/ Reach: 5/ 5
    Special Attacks: Berserk, Engulf
    Special Qualities: Construct traits, Damage Reduction 10/ Bludgeoning, Dark
    Vision 60, Immunity to Magic, low-light vision, Explosive
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref + 3, Will + 3
    Abilities: Str 13, Dex 11, Con --, Int --, Wis 11, Cha 1
    Organization: Solitary or Gang ( 2-4) or battle group (10 40)
    Challenge Rating: 2??
    Advancement: 4-8 HD (medium), 9-18 (large), 19-27 HD (huge)

"A shifting humanoid pile of dark powder shambles toward you. You think it might be a dust or ash golem until it slaps Sergeant Bertrand and explodes. Here's hoping the rest of the front line doesn't share his smoking habit"

A Gunpowder Golem is made from gunpowder or something similar as the name implies. It was of course invented by the Gnomes who like inventing things almost as much as they like seeing them explode. It's also the reason Gnomes are banned in some polite societies. Strangely the Panda Folk also make them, and they're known for being an ultra polite society.

Berserk (Ex): When a Gunpowder Golem enters combat there is a cumulative 1% chance per round it goes berserk and attacks the nearest living (or moving) creature near it until none are left. Once a Gunpowder Golem goes berserk there is no known method of re establishing control.

Engulf (Ex): A Gunpowder Golem can attempt to smother an opponent by engulfing it in combat. If it succeeds with a grapple check against a living opponent that breathes it engulfs it. Instead of regular grapple damage the victim begins to suffocate (see page 304 of the DMG).

Immunity to Magic(Ex): The Gunpowder Golem is immune to any spell or spell like ability that allows spell resistance. The one exception is anything doing fire or electricity damage (see below).

Explosive (Ex): If the Gunpowder Golem takes 1 point of fire or electricity damage it explodes. Damage and the area of effect are based on Size. Opponents in the area get a DC 13 Reflex Save for half damage unless they are being grappled by the Gunpowder Golem. Save DC is Constitution based. Damage is 3d6 plus 1d6 for every 2 Hit Dice the Golem has. Area of Effect depends on the Golems size: Medium is 10' radius, Large is 20', Huge is 40'. The explosions area of effect is covered by a thick cloud of smoke for 1d6 minutes afterwards (strong winds will disippate this in 1d6 rounds instead). Entering the smoke has the same effect as breathing heavy smoke (see page 304 of the DMG). Needless to say this also kills the Golem.

Skills: Gunpowder Golems have a racial bonus to the DC of the Explosive ability based on their Size:Medium: +2. Large: +4, Huge: +8.

Combat: Gunpowder Golems realize their explosive nature. They will avoid opponents with fire until they can get close enough to grapple or do serious damage if fire is used. If opponents have no obvious fire they charge in and go straight to the Engulf attack.

Construction: A Gunpowder Golem is made from 200 pounds of gunpowder treated with rare alchemical compounds costing at least 1000 GP. Assembling the Body requires a DC 20 Craft (alchemy) check.

CL 11th; Craft Construct (see MM page 303), Animate Object, Geas/Quest, Fireball, Caster must be 11th Level. Price 8000 GP; Cost 4000 GP + 160 XP
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-11-16 at 06:37 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

11. - Top - End - #41

Marble Golem
    Large Construct
    Hit Dice: 11d10+30 (90 hp)
    Speed: 30 (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 24 (-1 Size, +1 Dex, + 14 Natural), touch 10, flat-footed 23
    Base Attack/ Grapple: +8/ +16
    Attack: Slam + 10 melee (1d8+4)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +10 melee (1d8+4)
    Space/Reach: 10/ 10
    Special Attacks: Berserk, Marbles
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Damage Reduction 15/ Adamantine or Bludgeoning,
    Dark Vision 60, Immunity to Magic, Low-light Vision, Scattering
    Death
    Saves: + 3, Ref +4, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 12, Con --, Int Will 11, Cha 1
    Organization: Solitary or Gang (2-4)
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Advancement: 12-18 HD (Large)

"A large humanoid figure composed entirely of marbles held together by some magical force shambles toward you as all you can think is " ^^^^ I really hate those friggin' Gnomes..."

Berserk (Ex): When a Marble Golem enters combat there is a cumulative 1% chance per round it goes berserk and attacks the nearest living (or moving) creature near it until none are left. Once a Gunpowder Golem goes berserk there is no known method of re establishing control.

Marbles (Ex): At will as a Standard action a Marble Golem can scatter and become a sheet of living moving marbles. It covers a 20' area. Anything entering the area is subject to a free trip attack that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If the trip attack is successful, the opponent takes 1d6 subdual damage. The golem itself is considered a swarm of thousands of Fine sized constructs, and has appropriate swarm traits in this form (i.e. Distraction, Immune to Weapon Damage, etc) with 2 exceptions: It doesn't get the usual Swarm attack, just the special trip attacks. And it doesn't suffer the penalties from wind based attacks swarms of Fine sized creatures usually do.

Immunity to Magic(Ex): The Marble Golem is immune to any spell or spell like ability that allows spell resistance, with the exception of Shatter.

Scattering Death (Ex): Upon being killed a marble golem covers a 20' area with marbles. Anything entering or leaving this area must make a DC 15 Balance check or fall prone taking 1d6 subdual damage.

Combat: Gnomes usually have Marble Golems act as spoilers, using their Marbles attack to throw the enemy into disarray.

Construction: A Gunpowder Golem is made from 500 pounds of marbles treated with rare alchemical compounds costing at least 500 GP. Assembling the Body requires a DC 20 Craft (glassblowing) check.

CL 11th; Craft Construct (see MM page 303), Animate Object, Geas/Quest, Caster must be 11th Level. Price 32000 GP; Cost 16000 GP + 640 XP
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-11-26 at 05:41 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

If all Marble Golems are Large why did you even include the possibility of one taking up a 20' square when it discorporates?

Also, what exactly does the military role of "spoiler" mean?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    If all Marble Golems are Large why did you even include the possibility of one taking up a 20' square when it discorporates?

Also, what exactly does the military role of "spoiler" mean?
    You'll notice under advancement they can be made to be Large.

A spoiler is someone who won't win a fight themselves, but can side with someone else putting them over the top.
    Orcs and Goblins

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but they START OUT as large... according to the size/type line and confirmed in the Armor Class line and the space/reach line. Even the BAB combined with the strength score, and compared to the attack bonuses for the slams says that this is a large creature as listed in the default entry.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #45

DruidGuy

What in the name of the dark ones is a Carnal Mindflayer?

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

I love these creatures of yours! I'm thinking up a gang of were-kitten spies for my players to encounter the next time I DM.
    Some Stuff I've tried brewing:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Mind- Evil split personality template
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75765

Eldritch ghost- Warlock/Ninja PrC
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...eldritch+ghost

Student of the Fox- Class based on kitsune
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77615

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

17. - Top - End - #47

Yes, but they START OUT as large... according to the size/type line and confirmed in the Armor Class line and the space/reach line. Even the BAB combined with the strength score, and compared to the attack bonuses for the slams says that this is a large creature as listed in the default entry.
    D'OH!!!!

Sorry bout that. Sometimes I type these things in at 3 am...
    Orcs and Goblins

18. - Top - End - #48

What in the name of the dark ones is a Carnal Mindflayer?
    There's an over the top silliness campaign i run where in a potentially nutty jester diety kidnaps beings from the various DnD worlds and places them in a demidimension only he knows the way in or out of.

In the case of the Mindflayers he kidnapped, they were cut off from their gods and from the Elder Brains, and from everything they knew. So they began experimenting heavily to find a way to continue the species once their tadpoles started dying. After successfully mutating themselves they now reproduce by mating like most other species, and lay eggs which they must guard. The mutations also had the side effect of breaking them mentally, and now their hormones and emotions run roughshod. Some of them go quietly insane, some become serial killers, some become hare krishnas, and some begin a campaign to amass "a harem of supple young elf boys." Hence the term 'carnal.' Since they've rediscovered sex, and can enjoy it now, many are making up for lost time much to the dismay of the other species in the underdark.

They are in a sense, a people with "issues."
    Orcs and Goblins

19. - Top - End - #49

DruidGuy

They are in a sense, a people with "issues."
    Now I am very afraid to ask about the others...

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Think you could share the Whale Golem, Yellow Beholder, and to a lesser extent Pan-Da?
    "Blessings of Father Malkav be with you, and might madness follow in your footsteps."

What D&D Character are you?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Bard (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 15
    Intelligence- 13
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 12

Avatar by LordRod. Thanks again.

21. - Top - End - #51

Now I am very afraid to ask about the others...
    Instead of producing a Ulitharid every so often the Carnal Mindflayers beget various freaky mutations, which is what the others listed are.

Will be posting more critters tonight when i get home from work.
    Orcs and Goblins

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

D'OH!!!!

Sorry bout that. Sometimes I type these things in at 3 am...
    Perfectly alright... I do that too, and it is infinitely kinder to the other board members than delaying typing up something they are looking forward to IMHO.
    Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #53

Whale Golem
    Gargantuan Construct
    Hit Dice: 50d10+60 (335 hp)
    Speed: Swim 40 (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 28 (- 4 Size, +22 Natural)
    Base Attack/ Grapple: +37/ +49
    Attack: Tail Slap + 45 melee (2d12+12)
    Full Attack: Tail Slap +45 melee (2d12+12)
    Space/Reach: 20/ 15
    Special Attacks: Ram, Sonar Blast
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Damage Reduction 15/ Adamantine, Dark Vision
    60, Immunity to Magic, Low-light Vision, Blindsight 120, Cargo
    Saves: Fort +16, Ref +15, Will +16
    Abilities: Str 35, Dex 8, Con --, Int--, Wis 11, Cha 1
    Skills: ----
    Environment: Any aquatic
    Challenge Rating: 17
    Advancement: ---

"A huge clockwork whale bursts from the water and swims into the bay. You can hear gnomish laughter. They've been drinking again..."

The Whale Golem was developed by the Gnomish Nations as a way to explore the seas, not, we repeat not, as a drunken bet as has been widely reported. Why the Gnomes are interested in exploring the oceans is unknown, but since they have a wide range of odd behaviors manifesting in their society no one really questions it. After all there are Gnomes who collect Dragon poop. Bizarre Golems should come as no surprise. Most people believe they made it just to prove they could.

Ram (Ex): Whenever the Whale Golem does a charge it does 4d6+24 damage. If it uses this against a boat it has a 95% chance of capsizing the boat if it is 30' or less. Boats 31+ feet long have only a 50% chance.

Sonar Blast (Su): Once every 14 rounds the Whale Golem can focus it's sonar to unleash a devastating attack in a 120' cone. It loses it's blindsight ability on any turn the Blast is used. Damage is 24d8 sonic and anyone in the cones area of effect must make a DC 35 Fortitude Save or be permanently deafened. They may also make a DC 35 Reflex Save for half damage.Save DC is 10 plus half hit dice.

Cargo: The Whale Golem can hold up to 16 small creatures in its cargo hold, and contains enough air for 24 hours before it needs to resurface. Optionally it can hold cargo equal to its heavy encumbrance value.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A Whale Golem is immune to any spell or spell like ability that allows spell resistance.

Combat: On it's own the Whale Golem will blast any threat with it's Sonar before ramming it and then bludgeoning whatever is left repeatedly. If there are Gnome riders they can give it orders of course.

Construction: A Whale Golem is made from 30 tons of steel treated with rare alchemical compounds costing at least 50000 GP. Assembling the Body requires a DC 25 Craft (clockworks) check.

CL 11th; Craft Construct (see MM page 303), Animate Object, Geas/Quest, Cacophonic Burst, Caster must be 11th Level. Price 230000 GP; Cost 115000 GP + 4600 XP
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-11-16 at 06:37 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

24. - Top - End - #54

Yellow Beholder
    Large Aberration
    Hit Dice: 10d8+40 (85 hp, 105 while raging)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 5 ft. (1 square), fly 20 ft. (4 squares, good)
    Armor Class: 26 (-1 Size, +2 Dex, +15 Deflection), touch 26, flat-footed 24
    While raging 24 (-1 Size, -2 Rage, +2 Dex, +15 Deflection), touch 24,
    flat-footed 22
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+13
    Attack: Bite +8 melee (2d6+3), during rage Bite +10 melee (2d6+6)
    Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (2d6+3), during rage Bite +10 melee (2d6+6)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Ghost Touch, Fruit Rage
    Special Qualities: Flight, Dark Vision 60 ft.
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +9 (+11 during Fruit Rage)
    Abilities: Str 14 (18), Dex 14, Con 18 (22), Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 10
    Skills: Hide +5, Intimidate +3, Listen +4, Move Silently +5, Spot +4
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack, Dodge.
    Mobility
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Advancement: 11-15 HD (Large), 16-30 HD (Huge)

"Floating in front of you is a large yellow sphere with black pupil less eyes and a huge mouth. It seems to be eating a ghost if thats possible.....Man, you've really gotta stop sampling the local mushrooms..."

Yellow Beholders were created from lesser Beholderkin to exterminate the nasty problem of Beholder Ghosts. Since Beholders tend to assassinate one another with some frequency, they tend to have a high portion of their race returning from the dead with unfinished business. Unfortunately the Yellow Beholder isn't very bright. It tends to attack anything incorporeal and it also devastates fruit crops sometimes used to feed slave races. Most Beholders kill them on sight. Farmers and Undead aren't very fond of them either. Yellow Beholders speak Beholder. They are roughly 10' in diameter and usually weigh as much as a large buffalo.

Ghost Touch (Ex): Yellow Beholders can touch (and be touched by) Incorporeal creatures. Each still uses its deflection AC bonus against the other, but they are both solid for purposes of fighting each other. Incorporeal creatures are the Yellow Beholders main food source. It also likes fruit which causes some problems....

Fruit Rage (Ex): Most forms of fruit are highy toxic to Yellow Beholders, as well as incredibly addictive. If a Yellow Beholder eats fruit it must make a Fortitude Save (DC 20) or fly into a destructive Rage. This Rage is identical to the Barbarian Rage ability (including duration), and also increases the Yellow Beholders Flight Speed to 30. Stats in parentheses are for while raging. While raging, Yellow Beholders will attack about anything. (Fruit is effectively a poison, Ingested, Fort Save DC 20, Initial and Secondary damage Rage).

Flight (Ex): A Beholders body is naturally buoyant granting it a permanent Feather Fall effect as per the spell of the same name with personal range.

Combat: Yellow Beholders tend to ignore anything that doesn't attack them first except fruit trees and incorporeal beings which it immediately attacks and begins biting until one of them is eaten or dead. Usually the fruit trees don't fight back but there have been exceptions.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-08-19 at 04:46 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

25. - Top - End - #55

Pan-Da
    Medium Fey
    Hit Dice: 5d6+6 (23 hp)
    Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, + 4 Natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/ +6
    Attack: Claw + 6 melee (1d4+4)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +6 melee (1d4+4) and 1 Bite +1 melee ( 1d6+2)
    Space Reach: 5/ 5
    Special Attacks: Pipes, Spell Like Abilities
    Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron, low-light vision, Wild Empathy,
    Spell Resistance 15
    Saves: Fort: +3, Ref + 5, Will + 5
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 18
    Skills: Bluff + 8, Climb +8, Concentration + 6, Diplomacy +8, Handle Animal + 8,
    Heal +5, Hide +5, Intimidate +8, Knowledge (Nature) + 6, Listen + 6, Move
    Silently + 5, Search + 6, Sense Motive +8, Spellcraft +6, Spot + 5, Survival + 5
    Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Self-Sufficient
    Environment: Temperate Forests
    Challenge Rating: 3 without pipes, 5 with??
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Advancement: 6-7 HD (Medium), 8-12 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment: --

"Stop me if you've heard this one..."

"NO MORE PUNS!!!"

"Well fine Mr. Touchy Wizard, I just guess I'll settle for doing things to you while your sleeping."

The Pan-Da appears to be a large slightly anthropomorphic panda with short stubby horns (or moose antlers), carrying reed pipes. Some even have cloven hooves for feet. They are whimsical forest guardians, preferring bamboo or pine forests to all others. Approached respectfully (or if offered wine or honey) they can be excellent guides and helpers. Otherwise your in deep trouble as it decides to spend all it's time pulling pranks on you or telling bad puns until you wish for death. They stand about 6' tall, weighing in at 350 pounds, and speak Common and Sylvan.

Pipes (Su): The pipes carried by Pan-Da are identical to those carried by Satyrs.

Spell Like Abilities (Sp): The Panda casts spells from the Bard list, but his spells per day are those of a 5th level Sorcerer. Instead of spells they are considered spell like abilities.

Wild Empathy (Ex): This is identical to the Druid class feature, except the Pan-Da has a +6 Racial Bonus on the roll.

Combat: Pan-Da's usually avoid combat, using their Pipes or spells to lead opponents into trouble. However should this fail they have no problem wading in and beating the unholy crap out of individuals. Groups are another matter....groups they pick at one by one from the cover of the forest.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-12-10 at 08:08 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

While the final number is correct you forgot to retain the DEX modifier in listing out the contributing factors to the Yellow Beholder's AC... very cool joke when I got it though...
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #57

Armored Turtle
    Small Construct
    Hit Dice: 1d10+10 (15 hp)
    Speed: 10 (2 squares)
    Armor Class: 22 (+1 Size, +12 Natural, -1 Dex), touch 10, flat-footed 22
    Base Attack: +0/ -3
    Attack: Bite + 2 melee (1d3+1) or Lesser Orb of Fire +1 Ranged Touch (1d8)
    Full Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d3+1) or Lesser Orb of Fire +1 Ranged Touch (1d8)
    Space/Reach: 5/ 5
    Special Attacks: Lesser Orb of Fire
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Damage Reduction 5/ Adamantine, Dark Vision
    60, low-light Vision
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 12, Dex 8, Con --, Int --, Wis 11, Cha 1
    Environments: Any
    Organization: Solitary, Gang (2-4), or Battalion (10-40)
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Advancement: 2-8 HD (medium), 9-12 HD (large)

"Before you is a clockwork turtle roughly 3 feet in diameter with a turret of some sort in its shell. Obviously it must be a Gnome creation, only they would be so gauche..."

Armored Turtles were created by the Gnomish nations to meet a need for armored soldiers, as most of their own people were unwilling to fit that description. They became immensely popular, and many variations were made, some quite large. Armored Turtle battalions were snuck into enemy territory and allowed to lay waste to it with their fire before being mothballed until the next time they were needed. Most of them are the size of a particularly fat halfling, and weigh about 200 pounds or more.

Lesser Orb of Fire (Sp): Once every other round the Turtle may 'cast' Lesser Orb of Fire from the turret in its back. Caster level is equal to the Turtles Hit Dice. Some Turtles have one of the other Lesser Orb spells, but these are rare. Medium or larger Armored Turtles are usually upgraded to the Orb of Fire spell.

Combat: Armored Turtle are pretty straight forward. They simply hold position and fire away with their Lesser Orb of Fire. If anyone gets close they bite.

Construction: An Armored Turtle is made from 235 pounds of steel treated with rare alchemical compounds costing at least 500 GP. Assembling the Body requires a DC 20 Craft (clockworks) check.

CL 11th; Craft Construct (see MM page 303), Animate Object, Geas/Quest, Lesser Orb of Fire, Caster must be 11th Level. Price 6000 GP; Cost 3000 GP + 120 XP
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-11-13 at 05:28 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

28. - Top - End - #58

Electric Yak
    Large Construct
    Hit Dice: 12d10+30 (96 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Armor Class: 18 (-1 Size, +9 Natural), touch 9, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack: +9/ + 17
    Attack: Gore + 15 melee (1d10+7)
    Full Attack: Gore +15 melee (1d10+7)
    Space/Reach: 10/ 5
    Special Attacks: Electrified Charge
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Damage Reduction 10/ Adamantine, Dark Vision 60, Lowlight vision
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 25, Dex 10, Con--, Int --, Wis 11, Cha 1
    Organization: Solitary, Gang (2-4), Battalion (6-30)
    Challenge Rating: 9 ???
    Advancement: 13-30 HD (large), 31-42 HD (huge)

"You see what appears to be a large clockwork Yak. The Gnomes have been busy again. The boss really doesn't pay you enough for this."

Yet another clockwork experiment by the Gnomish Nations, the Electric Yak is called by some increasing proof of their insanity. The Yaks are usually used as Cavalry, breaking through opposing forces. It looks much like a clockwork Yak made from high grade steel.

Electrified Charge (Su): When an Electric Yak charges it does 3d6+14 damage, plus an additional 2d6 electrical damage.

Combat: Electric Yaks generally Charge, and then repeatedly gore until their opponent falls or they do. They are unimaginative as fighters, but remain dangerous because of their massed numbers.

Construction: An Electric Yak is made from 2000 pounds of steel treated with rare alchemical compounds costing at least 5000 GP. Assembling the Body requires a DC 20 Craft (clockworks) check.

CL 11th; Craft Construct (see MM page 303), Animate Object, Geas/Quest, Lightning Bolt, Caster must be 11th Level. Price 60000 GP; Cost 30000 GP + 1200 XP
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-11-13 at 05:26 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

While the final number is correct you forgot to retain the DEX modifier in listing out the contributing factors to the Yellow Beholder's AC... very cool joke when I got it though...
    Agreed.

Bhu: I don't suppose you have an automated tank in your critter box...? I want one of those for my "magically advanced" army.
    Love the turtle!

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    Agreed.

Bhu: I don't suppose you have an automated tank in your critter box...? I want one of those for my "magically advanced" army.
    Love the turtle!
    Not yet, but I will eventually. Here's the only othe Construct I have done so far:

Putty Panda
    Large Construct
    Hit Dice: 10d10+30 (85 hp)
    Speed: 20 (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 22 (-1 Size, -1 Dex, +14 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 22
    Base Attack/ Grapple: +7/ +26
    Attack: Slam + 13 melee (1d10+7)
    Full Attack: 2 slams +13 melee (1d10+7)
    Space/ Reach: 10/10
    Special Attacks: Berserk, Adhesion, Smother, Improved Grab
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Damage Reduction 10/ Bludgeoning and
    Adamantine, Dark Vision 60, Immunity to Magic, Low-light
    Vision, Immune to Magic
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 25, Dex 8, Con --, Int --, Will 11, Cha 1
    Organization: Solitary or Gang (2-4)
    Challenge Rating: 10?
    Advancement: 12-18 HD (large)

"Y'know...even from here I just know that thing is trouble..."

One of the few Golems known whose design is obviously deranged, and that ISN'T a creation of the Gnome Kingdoms, the Putty Pandas are the guardians and sometimes foot soldiers of the Pandafolk. It appears to be a large anthropomorphic Panda made from some sort of sticky putty. About 600 pounds or more of sticky putty.

Berserk (Ex): When a Putty Panda enters combat there is a cumulative 1% chance per round it goes berserk and attacks the nearest living (or moving) creature near it until none are left. Once a Putty Panda goes berserk there is no known method of re establishing control.

Adhesion (Ex): Putty Pandas are incredibly sticky. Anyone striking them with a wepon must make a DC 15 Reflex Save (Save DC is Con based) or their weapon is stuck to the Putty Panda. They will have to succeed in a Grapple check to pull it free. Putty Pandas receive a +8 Racial Bonus to Grapple checks.

Improved Grab (Ex): A Putty Panda that successfully hits with a Slam attack can immediately make a Grapple check as a Free Action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it succeeds it can use it's Smother attack on any opponent 1 Size Class smaller than itself. Due to it's adhesive nature the Putty Panda can grapple a creature of any size class.

Smother (Ex): Any living creature that requires air and that is Pinned successfully in a Grapple by a Putty Panda begins to suffocate (see DMG page 304).

Immune to Magic (Ex): Putty Pandas are immune to any spell or spell like ability that allows Spell Resistance.

Combat: Putty Pandas usually just charge and grapple. They aren't really bright or subtle. And of course they're made for grappling so they may as well take advantage of it.

Construction: A Putty Panda is made from 600 pounds of silly putty treated with rare alchemical compounds costing at least 1000 GP. Assembling the Body requires a DC 20 Craft (alchemy) check.

CL 11th; Craft Construct (see MM page 303), Animate Object, Geas/Quest, Web, Caster must be 11th Level. Price 50000 GP; Cost 25000 GP + 1000 XP
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-12-02 at 05:37 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins