A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Critters

1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Critters

Actually I've done several serious critters. Peek at the list on page 1 :D

For longtime viewers: The Floating Reef on page 3 was updated, and I'm finally finishing up the Primordial Ghost on page 5.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu
    (huge section about the darkness)
    I cast magic missile at the darkness... what... we were all thinking it.
    Last edited by Nomadic; 2008-07-05 at 11:53 AM.

3. - Top - End - #213

The Ghost Squid
    Huge Aberration (Incorporeal, Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice: 15d8 + 75 (142 hp)
    Initiative: +3 (-1)
    Speed: 80 ft. flight( 16 squares, perfect)
    Armor Class: 26 ( -2 Size, +3 Dex, +15 Deflection) touch 26,
    flat-footed 23
    Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+31
    Attack: Tentacle + 12 melee touch attack(1 point of Wisdom damage)
    Full Attack: 10 Tentacles + 12 melee touch attack (1 point of Wisdom
    damage) and 1 Bite +7 melee touch attack ( 1d3 Wisdom
    damage)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.(30 ft. with tentacles)
    Special Attacks: Horrifying Appearance, Rend Soul, Improved Grab,
    Constrict (1d3 Wisdom Damage)
    Special Qualities: Dimensional Sense 120', Improved Incorporeality,
    Invisibility, Partial Invulnerability, Vulnerabilities,
    Confusion, Pan-Dimensional, Flight
    Saves: Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +11
    Abilities: Str 0 (26), Dex 17 (8), Con 20, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 16
    Skills: Knowledge (Arcana, Religion, The Planes, Things Man Was Not
    Meant to Know) +10, Listen +9, Move Silently +11, Spot +9
    Feats: Flyby Attack, Great Flyby Attack, Improved Flyby Attack,
    Dodge, Mobility, Lightning Reflexes*
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary or School (3 - 20)
    Challenge Rating: 15
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Chaotic Evil
    Advancement: 16 to 30 HD (Huge), 31 to 45 HD (Gargantuan), 46 to
    60 HD (Colossal)
    Level Adjustment: ----

* See Savage Species for some Feats

"We were camping at the North Ridge Mountains en route to the city. Everything seemed fine on my watch, until about 3 hours in when I had this feeling I was being watched. From all around me. I stood up but didnt see anything. I went to awaken the Mage, and that's when they appeared. Things..they..some looked like the squid and octopi we used to fish out of the seas for cooking. Some just barely resembled them. They swam in the air in and out of view constantly moving....parts of them just kept disappearing. I didn't hear anything but I could swear they were saying something. They were the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. Dozens of them like ghosts moving through the trees, us, each other..I couldn't move I was so scared. After a while the paralysis wore off and I was able to move when they were gone. And I turned to the mage again just in time to watch one of them pull his soul from his body...I don't remember much after that. I woke up in town the next day and I'm told I've been a raving madman ever since. After the priests spells I'm feeling a little better. So I guess..I guess I can ask if anyone else made it.."

Ghost Squid are called that because no one has thought of a better name, and no one seems to know their real one. They appear similar to earthly cephalopods sometimes with as many as no or a thousand eyes, and as many as 6 to a hundred tentacles or more. The tentacles can be barbed, rasped, suckered, etc.. The mouth may be a beak, a lamprey like sucker, or full of sharks teeth. They simultaneously exist in several different dimensions at once, and bits and pieces of them seem to swim in and out of view. For the most part they are invisible unless something in a particular dimension warrants their attention and only then are they visible at all. Because their attention is spread so thin, their behavior seems to be random as they may be reacting to something somewhere or somewhen else. Some things focus their attention though, and that attention is always murderous. Anything that mucks about with space or time for example, such as spells like Teleport or Time Stop. Most are inveterate wanderers, and it is assumed they're looking for something but no one as yet knows what. The Illithids and Aboleth have encountered them, and know some of their secrets if anyone dares ask them. Otherwise it would be necessary to go to the Far Realms. Ghost Squid have never been known to speak or communicate with any being, nor have they ever shown that they understood communication attempts.

Horrifying Appearance (Ex): Ghost Squid generate a feeling of wrongness around them. People claim they can hear voices, but there is no sound. They know they are being watched, but there is no watcher. Anyone within 30' of an Invisible Ghost Squid must make a Will Save (DC=10 + half Ghost Squids Hit Dice+Cha modifier, in this case DC 20) or be Shaken until the Squid is no longer in range. Anyone able to see a Squid because it has dropped its invisibility must make a Will Save (Same DC), or be Paralyzed for 1d6 rounds. Anyone making the Save is immune to that Ghost Squids Horrifying Appearance for 24 hours. Anyone witnessing a swarm of Ghost Squid must also make a Will Save (Same DC) or contract some form of insanity (DM's discretion on this one, I haven't made up rules for it yet). This insanity can be cured by Remove Curse. If an opponent uses True Sight or a similar ability, or Detect Thoughts or an ability that allows it to see into the Ghost Squids mind, he must make a Will Save (DC = 20, Save is Cha based) or be affected as if by a Feeblemind spell (effective caster level equal to Ghost Squids Hit Dice)

Improved Grab (Ex): If the Ghost Squid hits with 3 or more Tentacle attacks on one opponent it may initiate a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. It may grapple a target of any size. Normally Incorporeal creatures may not grapple. However the Ghost Squid is not grappling the physical character, but his soul instead. Both the squid and the PC roll 1d20 + their Cha bonus. If the victim wins the Ghost Squids tentacles have found no purchase. This ability does not work on soulless beings such as some corporeal animated undead and some constructs. It does still effect purely magical beings such as Outsiders and Elementals. If the grapple is successful the Ghost Squid establishes a hold and may constrict. Ghost Squid have a +4 Racial Bonus to Grapple checks, including incorporeal grappling.

Constrict (Ex): The Ghost Squid does 1d3 temporary Wisdom damage.

Rend Soul (Su): At the beginning of any round in which the Ghost Squid has an opponent Constricted, and at 0 Wisdom, it may automatically pull out his soul and rip it to pieces. The victim may not be Raised or Resurrected. Optionally they may only be Raised or Resurrected after the Miracle or Wish spell has been used to restore their soul. Some Squid eat the souls of their opponents, and if they are Raised or Ressurected they may have acquired the Pseudonatural or Half-Farspawn Template.

Pan-Dimensional (Su): Ghost Squid exist simultaneously on the same point in multiple planes. Should someone cast spells or use abilities similar to Etheral Jaunt or Astral Projection to escape to another plane they have a 50% chance that the Ghost Squid is already there waiting for them. If not there is a 50% chance it will arrive within 1d6 rounds.

Dimensional Sense (Ex): The Ghost Squid has a sort of 3 dimensional spatial sense that allows it to 'see' everything within 120'. This includes invisible creatures, and even ones behind walls if they are within range. This effectively means that anything within 120 feet has no concealment , and automatically fails all Hide rolls. The Ghost Squid cannot be flanked.

Invisibility (Su): The Ghost Squid can become Invisible at will as per the spell. Truthfully invisibility is their natural state, and they only become even partially visible when attacking.

Partial Invulnerability (Ex): The Ghost Squid is Immune to the following: Critical hits, ability drain or damage, energy drain, mind affecting effects, non lethal damage, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, posion, paralysis, polymorph, death effects, energy drain, disease, and fatigue/exhaustion. It does not breathe, eat or sleep. There are some exceptions to these rules spelled out below.

Improved Incorporeality (Ex): Unlike normal Incorporeal beings, Force effects and positive/negative energy still have the standard 50% miss chance when targeting the Ghost Squid, and it can pass through Forcewalls. They may also pass through other Incorporeal beings and even one another.

Confusion (Ex): Because of their Pan-Dimensional nature Ghost Squid seem to always be distracted or performing random actions, or simply acting in ways not understood by others. It effectively permanently suffers from the Confusion spell, unless something narrows its attention. Things that would narrow its attention would be spells or effects that effect space/time (Time Stop, Ethereal Jaunt, Plane shift, Gate, Summoning, etc.), powerful items that can alter reality (most artifacts, Spheres of Annihilation), being attacked effectively, or beings of great power (exceptionally powerful Oustiders mostly). If such a thing is within the Squids Dimensional Sense Range, the Squid gets a Willpower Save (DC 20) to shrug off the Confusion effect until the end of the encounter.

Vulnerabilities (Ex): Ghost Squid are vulnerable to specific spells, and other powers or abilities that mimic their effects. Spells or effects that would send an Extraplanar creature back to its home plane (Banishment, Dismissal, Holy Word, etc.) cause it to flee from the caster at full speed for 1d6 minutes instead. If a Ghost Squid is summoned via Greater Planar Binding it remains present after the spell ends. Targeting a Ghost Squid with Plane Shift Stuns it for 1d6 rounds. Ghost Squids will not enter Antimagic Fields. If a Ghost Squid enters a Gate it teleports 1d00 miles in a random direction. Temporal Stasis and Time Stop do not effect the Ghost Squid. They gain the same benefits as the caster in the case of Time Stop. Ghost Squid may not enter the area of effect of a Forbiddance Spell. Dispel Magic targeted on a Ghost Squid Nauseates it for 1 round if it fails a Will Save (DC 10 Spell level + appropriate caster stat). Greater Dispel Magic Nauseates it for 1d4 rounds, and Mordenkainen's Disjunction Nauseates it for 1d6 rounds, and Dazes it for 1d6 rounds after that. Casting Dimensional Lock or Dimensional Anchor on a Ghost Squid casues it to become solid for the spells duration. While solid it loses the Incorporeal subtype and gains the following changes to its stats:

It uses the stats and initiative listed in parentheses. Flight speed becomes 35' (poor). The Ghost Squid can concentrate so it no longer suffers from Confusion. Armor Class becomes a 17 (-2 Size, -1 Dex, +10 natural), touch 7, flat footed 17. Its touch corrodes matter, so instead of Wisdom Damage its attacks do acid damage.

Attack: Tentacle +17 melee (1d6+8 acid)
    Full Attack: 10 Tentacles +17 melee (1d6+8 acid) and a Bite +12 melee (2d6+8 acid)
    Constrict: 3d6+8 acid
    The Ghost Squid may not use its Rend Soul ability while solid.

Flight (Ex): The Ghost Squids ability to fly is unexplained. Gravity apparently offers no hold on the Squid and it simply hovers in mid air until it wills itself to move in a direction. This means it cannot fall below its current position, and is immune to effects like the Reverse Gravity spell.

Combat: Generally Ghost Squid attack randomly for one round and move on while under the influence of their confusion. When their attention is focused enough to concentrate on an opponent, they tend to attack whatever drew their attention first, and whatever is actually able to affect them after ripping out the soul of their first opponent. They drop out of invisibility, lash the bejeezus out of whoever attracted their attention with a full attack, and then go for constriction the next round. If a spell causes them to become solid, they will concentrate exclusively on the person(s) responsible.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2009-02-05 at 05:49 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

4. - Top - End - #214

Since the Wizards forums are getting twitchy I'll be adding a few mythological critters from a thread over there. WIll return to reformat and such.

From Inuit myth

The Worm Men
    Medium Aberration (Shapechanger, Cold)
    Hit Dice: 10d8+20 (65 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 16 (+1 Dex, +5 Natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+7
    Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d6)
    Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d6)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Spells
    Special Qualities: Alternate Form (Man), Immunities, Blindsight 50', Tremor Sense 120', Quick Healing
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +9
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 24
    Skills: Concentration +10, Hide +6, Intimdate +12, Knowledge (Arcana, Nature) +7, Listen +6, Move Silently +6, Spellcraft +10, Survival +7
    Feats: Combat Casting, Fearsome Necromancy, Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy), Spell Focus (Necromancy)
    Environment: Any Cold
    Organization: Solitary, Pair, group (3-6)
    Challenge Rating: 11
    Treasure: Standard
    Advancement: 11+ Hit Dice (Medium)
    Level Adjustment: --

"Large intelligent worms with the ability to take on the form of a man. Found throughout the Far North they use their vast supernatural powers to destroy Inuit villages by poisoning wells, murdering livestock, and killing crops."

So says the only book source i can find on them. Hopefully i can find more or I'll have to wing it.

Spells: Worm Men can cast spells as a Sorcerer whose level is equal to their Hit Dice. Certain Divine spells may be cast by them as an Arcane Spell of the same level. These spells are:

1st: Bane, Curse Water, Deathwatch, Detect Animals and Plants, Detect Snares and Pits, Doom, Inflict Light Wounds
    2nd: Curse of Ill Fortune, Death Knell, Diminish Plants, Inflict Moderate Wounds,
    3rd: Inflict Serious Wounds
    4th: Inflict Critical Wounds, Poison
    5th: mass Curse of Ill Fortune, Mass Inflict Light Wounds
    6th: Harm Mass Inflict Moderate Wounds
    7th: Mass Inflict Serious Wounds
    8th: Mass Inflict Critical Wounds

Immunities: Worm Men are immune to Cold, Poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning.

Alternate Form (Su): Worm Men can transform into the shape of a human of any gender (the worm men themselves are both genders) at will. The transformation is a move equivalent action. It's stats and abilities are effectively unchanged (it cant use it's bite), but in human form it can now wear armor and use weapons if it knows how.

Quick Healing (Ex): Worm Men that are resting heal 1 hit point per hour.

Combat: Worm Men rarely fight. They sneak into villages in the dead of night and wreak havoc with their spells, or pretend to be men via their Alternate Form ability and claim to be lost so they can infiltrate and sow disorder.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2009-03-29 at 05:48 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

5. - Top - End - #215

http://www.geocities.com/z_mythica/c.../c/chenoo.html

http://www.sacred-texts.com/nam/ne/al/al50.htm

http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Le...oo-Micmac.html

http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Le...amaquoddy.html

http://www.storiestogrowby.com/stori..._american.html

Chenoo (dumb stone giant version)
    Huge Giant (Earth)
    Hit Dice: 20d8+120 (210 hp)
    Initiative: -1
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 22 (-2 Size, -1 Dex, +15 Natural), touch 7, flat-footed 22
    Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+37
    Attack: Slam +27 melee (1d6+14) or Tree Club +27 melee (4d6+21) or Rock +27 ranged (2d6+14)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +27 melee (1d6+14) or Tree Club +27/+22/+17 melee (4d6+21) or Rock +27 ranged (2d6+14)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
    Special Attacks: Rock Throwing
    Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, Freeze, Rock Catching
    Saves: Fort +18, Ref +5, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 39, Dex 8, Con 23, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11
    Skills: Climb +21, Craft (any one) +4, Hide -2 (+6 in rocks), Intimidate +7, Jump +21, Listen +7, Spot +7
    Feats: Awesome Blow, Brutal Throw, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Power Throw
    Environment: Any (usually rocky tempreate regions)
    Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Group (3-6)
    Challenge Rating: 12
    Alignment: Neutral
    Advancement: By Character Class
    Level Adjustment: ---

Skills: The Chenoo have a +8 Racial Bonus to Hide checks in rocky areas.

Freeze (Ex): The Chenoo can freeze itself and remain still almost indefinitely. Opponents must make a DC 20 spot check to think the Chenoo isn't a statue or rock formation.

Rock Throwing and Rock Catching (Ex): See page 119 of the Monster Manual.

Combat: Chenoo are usually shy and avoid combat. If it becomes necessary they will throw rocks and uproot trees to use as clubs. Tactics are generally lacking, as they tend to be not too bright. The tree club is considered a reach weapon.

Chenoo (Heart of Ice version)
    Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Cold)
    Hit Dice: 20d8+300 (390 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
    Armor Class: 30 (+1 Dex, +19 Natural ), touch 11, flat-footed 29
    Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+35
    Attack: Slam +36 melee (1d3+16) or Tree Club +36 melee (4d6+24) or Rock +36 ranged (2d6+16)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +36 melee (1d3+16) or Tree Club +36 melee (4d6+24) or Rock +36 ranged (2d6+16)
    Special Attacks: Giantism, Rock Throwing, Spells, War Shriek, Frightful Presence
    Special Qualities: Dark Vision 60', Rock Catching, Regeneration 5, Regrowth, Untiring, Enhanced Senses, Low Light Vision
    Saves: Fort +21, Ref +13, Will +19
    Abilities: Str 43, Dex 12, Con 40, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 24
    Skills: Balance +5, Climb +20, Hide +5, Intimidate +13, Jump +20, Knowledge (Nature) +4, Listen +14, Move Silently +5, Search +10, Spot +14, Survival +4, Swim +20
    Feats: Awesome Blow, Brutal Throw, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Power Throw
    Environment: Any Cold
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating:
    Alignment: Usually Chaotic Evil
    Advancement: By Character Class (usually Druid or Shaman)

Rock Throwing and Rock Catching (Ex): See page 119 of the Monster Manual.

Giantism (Su): The Chenoo can become any size from Medium to Gargantuan once per turn as a Free Action. It's stats remain the same. The only thing that changes is it's carrying capacity, size modifier to AC and Attacks, space/reach, and Size modifier to hide/grapple/etc. See page 314 of he Monster Manual.

Frightful Presence (Su): Whenever the Chenoo attacks, charges, or shrieks it's opponents must make a DC 27 Willpower Save if they are within 30' and have less Hit Dice than the Chenoo. If the save is successful they are immune to that Chenoo's Firghtful Presence for 24 hours. On a failure creatures with 4 HD or less are panicked for 4d6 rounds, and if they have 5 or more Hit Dice they are Shaken for 4d6 rounds. Chenoo are immune to each others Frightful presence.

Spells: Chenoo may cast Spells as a Druid of half their Hit Dice (i.e. 10th level for hte given example).

War Shriek (Su): Once every d4 rounds the Chenoo can unleash a shriek potentially killing all who hear it. Any being within 60' of the Chenoo is affected as if by a Finger of Death spell. Fortitude Save DC 27. Save DC is Charisma based.

Regrowth (Su): To kill a Chenoo it must be completely destroyed by Fire or Acid. If cut into pieces each piece will eventually become a Chenoo. In 1 week each piece will be 1 Hit Dice, and it will gain 1 Hit Die per week until it's at full strength.

Untiring (Ex): Chenoo do not tire and are immune to exhaustion, faatigue, and sleep effects.

Enhanced Senses (Su): Chenoo have a +10 Racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.

Note: Female Chenoo are more powerful than males, and have advanced hit dice.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-07-07 at 04:23 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

6. - Top - End - #216

From Native American Myth

The Cannibal Baby
    Tiny Aberration
    Hit Dice: 10d8+20 (65 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares)
    Armor Class: 16 (+2 Size, +4 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+9
    Attack: Grab +9 melee (Grapple)
    Full Attack: Grab +9 melee (Grapple)
    Space/Reach: 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Inhale Flesh, Charm
    Special Qualities: Immune to Cold, Dark Vision 60'
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +9
    Abilities: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 15
    Skills: Bluff +12, Climb +4, Hide +8, Listen +6, Move Silently +3, Spot +6, Survival +4
    Feats: Ability Focus (Charm), Alertness, Great Fortitude, Track
    Environment: Temperate or Cold Forest or Plains
    Organization: Unique
    Challenge Rating: 4??
    Advancement: 11+ HD (Tiny)

"Do you hear a baby crying?"

This Native American creature is most often mentioned in the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Montana. It lives in caves, and comes out to hunt, pretending to be a human baby. In actuality it is some sort of demon or spirit that inhales the flesh off the bones of anyone unfortunate enough to pick it up.

Skills: Cannibal Babies have a +8 Racial Bonus to Bluff checks. They also do not take Size Penalties for Grapple checks.

Inhale Flesh (Su): When picked up the Cannibal Baby will coo and attempt to suckle a finger. If it is offered a finger or can Grapple it then begins to inhale the victims flesh off his body rapidly killing him. The Cannibal Baby does 1d6 Constitution Drain per turn with a successful Grapple check.

Charm (Su): Any being hearing the Cannibal Babies cries must make a DC 19 Willpower Save or take pity on it. The effect is similar to Charm Person, but lasts until the Cannibal Baby attacks. This is a sonic mind-affecting effect. Save DC is Charisma based.

Combat: The Cannibal Baby crawls outside on cold nights and wails just like a human child. When someone picks it up, it grabs hold of them, and begins sucking the flesh from their bones.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2009-03-29 at 05:54 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

7. - Top - End - #217

http://www.billcasselman.com/casselm...ds/ccw_two.htm

http://www.maisonsaint-gabriel.qc.ca...5a_c11_04.html

Gougou
    Gargantuan Giant (Aquatic)
    Hit Dice: 25d8+375 (487 hp)
    Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), Swim 50 ft.
    Armor Class: 26 (-4 Size, +20), touch 6, flat-footed 26
    Base Attack/Grapple: +18/+50
    Attack: Slam +34 melee (1d8+20) or Rock +18 Ranged (4d6+10)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +34 melee (1d8+20) and 1 Bite +29 melee (2d6+10) or 1 Rock +18 Ranged (4d6+10)
    Space/Reach: 20 ft./20 ft.
    Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Rock Throwing
    Special Qualities: Amphibious, Low Light Vision, Damage Reduction 5/-, Rock Catching
    Saves: Fort +29, Ref +8, Will +12
    Abilities: Str 50, Dex 10, Con 40, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 24
    Skills: Climb +35, Hide +10, Knowledge (Local, Nature) +17, Listen +19, Spot +19, Swim +43
    Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Awesome Blow, Large and In Charge, Area Attack, Crush, Multigrab, Greater Multigrab
    Environment: Cold Aquatic
    Challenge Rating: 14??
    Advancement: 26+ HD (Gargantuan)

"No one visits that island. Not even for revenge on what lives there. No one here will take you across. Swim if you like. You'll drown either way..."

According to the Micmac Indians, Gougou is a cannibal Giantess that dwells in a secret cave in the Isle of Miscou in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. She has been described as a beautiful woman, a mermaid; or a hideous scaled giantess with yellow eyes, pointed ears, fangs, seaweed for hair, and 2 great fins on her shoulders. She either carries a basket or has a belly pouch that she puts victims in before submerging to drown them.

Improved Grab (Ex): If Gougou successfully hits with her Slam attack she can immediately attempt a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity. If successful she will attempt to Pin her victim underwater, drowning it.

Rock Throwing/Catching (Ex): See page 119 of the Monster Manual.

Skills: Gougou has a +8 Racial Bonus to Swim Checks, and may always Take 10 on a Swim check even if threatened or endangered. Gougou has a +4 Racial Bonus on Hide checks in the water, and when submerged with only her hair and eyes showing she has a +10 Cover Bonus to Hide checks.

Combat: Gougou is pretty straightforward. She rushes up, tries to grab, and then pulls victims under to drown them.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2009-03-30 at 05:21 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

8. - Top - End - #218

The Beaver Women
    Medium Fey (aquatic)
    Hit Dice: 6d6+6 (27 hp)
    Initiative: +8
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), Swim 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 18 (+4 Dex, +4 Deflection), touch 18, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+7
    Attack: Grapple +7 melee touch (Grapple) or by Weapon +7
    Full Attack: Grapple +7 melee touch (Grapple) or by Weapon +7
    Special Attacks: Seduce, Drain Wits, Swift Grappler
    Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, Wild Empathy, Unearthly Grace, Amphibious
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +13, Will +11
    Abilities: Str 12, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 19
    Skills: Bluff +12, Handle Animal +12, Heal +10, Hide +12, Knowledge (Nature) +10, Listen +10, Move Silently +12, Spot +10, Survival +10, Swim +9
    Feats: Ability Focus (Seduce), Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse
    Environment: Any aquatic
    Challenge Rating: 4??
    Alignment: Usually Chaotic Evil
    Advancement: By character class

"Beware any women you find in the water here, especially if you cant see her back..."

The Beaver Women are beautiful murderous water nymphs from Blackfoot myth. They will not leave the water and go naked, using their long hair to conceal themselves. Some of them cover themselves in red paint. They will not leave the water because their back and lower extremities are covered in beaver fur. They are adept at bewitching men into the water, and will do so at every opportunity. The fate of these men is unknown, but it is assumed they are either drowned or held captive. Beaver Women despise human women, and will attack them at every opportunity. They will never harm children, and even protect them if possible. Some are a little too fond of children, kidnapping them. The kidnapped girls grow up to become Beaver Women themselves, the fate of the boys is unknown.

Seduce (Su): The Beaver Women may cast Charm Monster on male opponents at Will as a Supernatural ability.

Drain Wits (Su): Gaze Attack, 1d3 temporary Wisdom Damage, 30 ft., DC 17 Wisdom Save to Negate. Save DC is Charisma based. only works on male opponents.

Swift Grappler (Ex): The Beaver Women may use their Dex or Str modifier for Grapple checks, whichever is better. beaver Women may make Grapple checks without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Unearthly Grace (Su): The Beaver Women ad their Charisma modifier as a Defelection Bonus to their AC, and as a Bonus on all her Saving Throws.

Wild Empathy (Ex): This works like the Druids class ability except the Beaver Woman has a +6 Racial modifier.

Skills: Beaver Women get a +8 Racial Bonus on Swim checks, and may always Take 10 on a Swim check even if threatened or endangered. They may take the Run Action while swimming in a straight line.

Combat: Against males the Beaver Women will immediately try to Charm them after a few rounds of their Gaze attack doing it's work. They will then use magic to give the male the ability to live underwater (if its available to them), or simply grapple him and attempt to pin him underwater. Against women they will try to use their charmed minions to effect her murder, or simply attack her with whatever weapons they have available (Beaver Women are proficient with all Simple weapons). Many Beaver Women are either Shamans or Druids.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2009-04-04 at 07:09 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

9. - Top - End - #219

The Serpent Woman
    Colossal Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic)
    Hit Dice: 40d8+760 (940 hp)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), Swim 100'
    Armor Class: 30 (-8 Size, +1 Dex, +27 Natural), touch 3, flat-footed 29
    Base Attack/Grapple: +40/+81
    Attack: Claw +57 melee (2d6+25)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +57 melee (2d6+25) and 1 Bite +52 melee (1d10+13)
    Space/Reach: 30 ft./20 ft.
    Special Attacks: Serpent Curse, Mesmerizing Appearance, Mesmerizing Presence, Mesmerizing Gaze, Improved Grab, Constrict (4d6+50)
    Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, Dark Vision 60', Amphibious, Telepathy (1 mile, Serpentoids only), Scent, Immunities, Damage Reduction 10/Epic, Spell Resistance 40
    Saves: Fort +32, Ref +29, Will +35
    Abilities: Str 60, Dex 12, Con 48, Int 20, Wis 24, Cha 35
    Skills: Balance +9, Bluff +30, Climb +45, Concentration +27, Heal +25, Hide +9, Intmidate +32, Knowledge (Arcana, History, Local, Nature) +25, Listen +32, Move Silently +21, Search +25, Sense Motive +27, Spot +31, Survival +25, Swim +28, Use Magic Device +23
    Feats: Ability Focus (Mesmerizing Appearance, Mesmerizing Presence, Mesmerizing Gaze), Blind-Fight, Epic Reflexes, Epic Will, Greater Multigrab, Improved Initiative, Improved Scent, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Multigrab, Narrowed Gaze, Pervasive Gaze, Uncanny Scent
    Environment: Cold or temperate aquatic
    Organization: Unique, plus 10-30 humanoid males with the Serpentoid Template
    Challenge Rating: 26
    Treasure: Double Standard
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Advancement: 41+ HD (Collosal)

"If your wife disappeared near the lakes, you will not be seeing her again. For the sake of everyone it is best you forget about her as best you can. Don't go to the Lakes, or you may find yourself with a new wife not of your choosing..."

The Serpent Woman is a 100' long monster living in the Great Lakes. She appears to be a beautiful woman from the waist up, and a monstrous serpent from the waist down. Her haunting beauty is marred slightly by the fangs protruding from her lips, clawed hands, and the scales covering her skin. Long ago her one true love (a human man) was murderd by the tribal shamans for consorting with her (apparently monster/human love is forbidden), and she has hated humanity ever since. Using her movements, voice, and gaze she mesmerizes humans who come near the lakes taking them as lovers. After a few days in her company they start to become snake men, leaving their tribe behind forever.

Serpent Curse (Su): Any humanoid spending time with the Serpent Woman (i.e. in close proximity) for several days begins to turn into a serpent man. Effectively every day the humanoid spends within 60' of her (which is likely because she probably wont let go of him) must make a DC 42 Fortitude Save or he gains the Serpentoid Template permanently. It may not be removed once gained except by a Wish or Miracle spell. Since the Serpent Woman usually kills women it is unknown if it affects them. She is in constant telepathic contact with all victims of her curse, and only loses touch with them if they are over 1 mile away from her. Unlike many monsters the Serpent Woman actually cares for her victims providing thm with food, shelter, and affection. Killing one means her undying wrath, and anyone doing so will have to kill her as well or be pursued for the remainder of their days.

Mesmerizing Appearance (Su): Anyone able to see the Serpent Woman must make a DC 44 Willpower Save (Save DC is Charisma based), or be unable to attack her. They will instead merely stand there Fascinated until either she is out of sight, or notices them. If they succeed they are immune to this ability for 24 hours.

Mesmerizing Presence (Su): Once the Serpent Woman is aware of her Fascinated prey she will begin to talk to it. Anyone hearing the Serpent Woman's voice must make a DC 44 Willpower Save (Save DC is Willpower based) or be affected as if by a Charm Monster spell.

Mesmerizing Gaze (Su): Dominate Monster, 120', Willpower Save DC 44 negates. Mesmerizing Gaze only works on opponents that have been Charmed by her already.

Improved Grab (Ex): If the Serpent Woman successfully hits with her claw attack she may immediately make a Grapple check as a Free Action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If successful she may Constrict the next round.

Constrict (Ex): The Serpent woman may do 4d6+50 damage with a successful Grapple check.

Immunities (Ex): The Serpent Woman is immune to Sleep effects, poison, paralysis, disease, and fear/morale effects.

Skills: The Serpent Woman has a +4 Racial Bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks. She also has a +8 Racial Bonus on Balance, Climb, and Swim checks. She can always take 10 on a Climb check even if rushed or threatened, and may always take 10 on a Swim check even if distracted or endangered.

Combat: The Serpent Woman usually isn't required to be in combat. Opponents usually end up Fascinated or Charmed, and end up her servants/lovers if men. Females however she will generally approach, and not break her Charm/Domination until grappling the female victim. At which point she will grapple her, pull her underwater, and then drown her while constricting at the same time. And she usually has several servants to help as well.

SERPENTOID

Serpentoid is an Acquired Template that can be added to any humanoid.

Size and Type: Type becomes Monstrous Humanoid with the Reptilian and Aquatic subtypes. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: Unchanged.

Speed: If the Base Creature doesn't have a Swim or Climb speed, it gains them equal to it's Land Speed

Armor Class: Natural Armor Bonus increases by +2.

Attacks: If the Base Creature doesn't already have a Primary Bite and Secondary Claw attack it gains them. Damage depends on Size. Bite is 1d4 for Small, 1d6 for Medium, and 1d8 for Large. Claws are 1d3 for Small, 1d4 for Medium, and 1d6 for Large. When performing a Full Attack they get 1 Bite and 2 Claws.

Damage: Unchanged

Special Attacks: Keeps all Special Attacks of the Base reature and gains the following:

Improved Grab (Ex): If the Serpentoid hits with it's Bite attack it may immediately make a Grapple check as a Free Action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If successful it may Constrict the next round.

Constrict (Ex): A Serpentoid does double it's Bite damage plus one and a half times it's Strength modifier with a successful Grapple check.

Special Qualities: Keeps all Special Qualities of the Base Creature and gains the following:

True Love (Ex): Anything acquiring the Serpentoid Template is the willing and complete slave of the Serpent Woman. They will not disobey any of her orders and will gladly die for her. The only way to change this is to remove the Serpentoid Template, which can be done by Miracle or Wish. If removed from the Serpent Woman the Serpentoid will attempt to get back to her side at all costs, and take his own life if it becomes obvious he cannot. Should she be killed he will do his best to murder those resposnible, and take his own life after they are gone. Even victims who have been cured sometimes willingly return to her, saying that life with her was better than it was with their tribe (especially considering the prejudices they sometimes face upon return).

Amphibious (Ex): Serpentoids can breathe in water and air equally well.

Scent (Ex)

Saves: Recalculate any Saves you get from Racial Hit Dice since your type has changed.

Abilities: +6 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int, -6 Cha

Skills: Serpentoids have a +4 Racial Bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks. They also have a +8 Racial Bonus on Balance, Climb, and Swim checks. They can always take 10 on a Climb check even if rushed or threatened, and may always take 10 on a Swim check even if distracted or endangered. Serpentoids may use their Str or Dex modifier for Climb checks, whichever is better.

Feats: Unchanged.

Environment: Cold or Temperate Aquatic

Organization: Single, Pair, Group (3-6), or Mob (12-20)

Challenge Rating: +1?

Treasure: Unchanged

Alignment: Becomes the same as the Serpent Woman's (currently CN).

Advancement: Unchanged

Level Adjustment: +2

Example of creature using template here:

Walking Snake (Human Fighter 5)
    Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Reptilian, Aquatic)
    Hit Dice: 5d10+20 (47 hp)
    Initiative: +7
    Speed: 30 ft. (8 squares), Swim 30', Climb 30'
    Armor Class: 15 (+3 Dex, +2 Natural), touch 13, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+10
    Attack: Claw +10 melee (1d3+5) or by weapon +10
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +10 melee (1d4+5) and 1 Bite +5 melee (1d6+2) or by weapon +10
    Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Constrict (2d6+7)
    Special Qualities: Dark Vision 60', Amphibious, Scent
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 21, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Skills: Balance +11, Climb +15, Hide +7, Intimidate +1, Jump +7, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +15
    Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Toughness, Improved Initiative
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Advancement: By characrer class
    Last edited by Bhu; 2009-04-07 at 06:04 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

You are putting Crunch ahead of Feel with Gougou... reflavor the pin as "Trapped in the basket/belly pouch" and you have it right... but as it is you have she is holding on to them in a wresting move as they both go under.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post

Walking Snake
    Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Reptilian, Aquatic)
    Hit Dice: 5d10+20 (47 hp)
    Initiative: +7
    Speed: 30 ft. (8 squares), Swim 30', Climb 30'
    Armor Class: 15 (+3 Dex, +2 Natural), touch 13, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+10
    Attack: Claw +10 melee (1d3+5) or by weapon +10
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +10 melee (1d4+5) and 1 Bite +5 melee (1d6+2) or by weapon +10
    Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Constrict (2d6+7)
    Special Qualities: Dark Vision 60', Amphibious, Scent
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 21, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Skills: Balance +11, Climb +15, Hide +7, Intimidate +1, Jump +7, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +15
    Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Toughness, Improved Initiative
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Advancement: By characrer class
    Okay, Bhu, what did you use for the base before you added the template? Was this a human fighter?

Debby

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Bhu, I have something here that I think belongs to you.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...f?t=1215386772
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

13. - Top - End - #223

Got the formatting up, and tweaked Serpent WOman a lil. Need to fix up Gougou and do CR for the Chenoo too.

Thanks for the pic Sio!
    Orcs and Goblins

14. - Top - End - #224

Ghost Squidling Swarm
    Diminutive Aberration (Incorporeal, Extraplanar, Swarm)
    Hit Dice: 12d8+24 (78 hp)
    Initiative: +7 (+3)
    Speed: Flight 40 ft. (8 squares, perfect)
    Armor Class: 26 (+4 Size, +7 Dex, +5 Deflection), touch 26, flat-
    footed 19
    Base Attack/Grapple: +9/-4
    Attack: Swarm (1 point of Wisdom Damage)
    Full Attack: Swarm (1 point of Wisdom Damage)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Distraction, Horrifying Appearance, Rend Soul
    Special Qualities: Dimensional Sense 60', Improved Incorporeality,
    Invisibility, Partial Invulnerability, Vulnerabilities,
    Confusion, Pan-Dimensional, Flight, Swarm Traits,
    Immune to Weapon Damage
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +13, Will +10
    Abilities: Str 0 (1), Dex 27 (17), Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 16
    Skills: Knowledge (Arcana, Religion, The Planes, Things Man Was
    Not Meant To Know) +11, Listen +10, Move Silently +16,
    Spot +10
    Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Lightning Reflexes, Flyby Attack, Improved
    Flyby Attack
    Organization: Solitary or Giant Swarm (8-12 Swarms)
    Challenge Rating: 14
    Advancement: None

"...Private Johnson will not be returning for this reason. Neither will any member of my crew. I could still hear what they pulled from him screaming even after his body had long fallen to the ground, and I no longer believe in the Gods ability to protect us. Please give my regards to my wife and children, as after I send this message by courier I intend to take up a ball and pistol and end my life. Sincerely, Captain Wickham."

Ghost Squidling Swarms are even rarer than Ghost Squid, and understood even less. It is unknown if they are younger Ghost Squid, or a similar species, or even some other possibility entirely. They do seem to be more aggressive, and usually devour souls instead of just ripping them apart.

Horrifying Appearance (Ex): Ghost Squid generate a feeling of wrongness around them. People claim they can hear voices, but there is no sound. They know they are being watched, but there is no watcher. Anyone within 30' of an invisible Ghost Squid must make a Will Save (Dc=10 + half Ghost Squids Hit Dice+Cha modifier, in this case DC 19) or be Shaken until the Squid is no longer in range. Anyone able to see a Squid because it has dropped its invisibility must make a Will Save (Same DC), or be Paralyzed for 1d6 rounds. Anyone making the Save is immune to that Ghost Squids Horrifying Appearance for 24 hours. Anyone witnessing a swarm of Ghost Squid must also make a Will Save (Same DC) or contract some form of insanity (DM's discretion on this one, I havent made up rules for it yet). This insanity can be cured by Remove Curse. If an opponent uses True Sight or a similar ability, or Detect Thoughts or an ability that allows it to see into the Ghost Squids mind, he must make a Will Save (DC = 19, Save is Cha based) or be affected as if by a Feeblemind spell (effective caster level equal to Ghost Squids Hit Dice)

Rend Soul (Su): At the beginning of any round in which the Ghost Squid has an opponent swarmed, and at 0 Wisdom, it may automatically pull out his soul and rip it to pieces. The victim may not be Raised or Resurrected. Optionally they may only be Raised or Resurrected after the Miracle or Wish spell has been used to restore their soul. Some Squid eat the souls of their opponents, and if they are Raised or Ressurected they may have acquired the Pseudonatural or Half-Farspawn Template.

Distraction (Ex): Any living (or incorporeal undead such as ghosts) creature (solid or incorporeal) that begins its turn with a Ghost Squid Swarm in its space must make a DC 18 Fortitude save or be Nauseated for 1 round. The Save DC is Constitution based.

Pan-Dimensional (Su): Ghost Squid exist simultaneously on the same point in multiple planes. Should someone cast spells or use abilities similar to Etheral Jaunt or Astral Projection to escape to another plane they have a 50% chance that the Ghost Squid is already there waiting for them. If not there is a 50% chance it will arrive within 1d6 rounds.

Dimensional Sense (Ex): The Ghost Squid has a sort of 3 dimensional spatial sense that allows it to 'see' everything within 60'. This includes invisible creatures, and even ones behind walls if they are within range. This effectively means that anything within 60 feet has no concealment , and automatically fails all Hide rolls. The Ghost Squid cannot be flanked.

Invisibility (Su): The Ghost Squid can become Invisible at will as per the spell. Truthfully invisibility is their natural state, and they only become even partially visible when attacking.

Partial Invulnerability (Ex): The Ghost Squid is Immune to the following: Critical hits, ability drain or damage, energy drain, mind affecting effects, non lethal damage, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, posion, paralysis, polymorph, death effects, energy drain, disease, and fatigue/exhaustion. It does not breathe, eat or sleep. There are some exceptions to these rules spelled out below.

Improved Incorporeality (Ex): Unlike normal Incorporeal beings, Force effects and positive/negative energy still have the standard 50% miss chance when targeting the Ghost Squid, and it can pass through Forcewalls. They may also pass through other Incorporeal beings and even one another.

Confusion (Ex): Because of their Pan-Dimensional nature Ghost Squid seem to always be distracted or performing random actions, or simply acting in ways not understood by others. It effectively permanently suffers from the Confusion spell, unless something narrows its attention. Things that would narrow its attention would be spells or effects that effect space/time (Time Stop, Ethereal Jaunt, Plane shift, Gate, Summoning, etc.), powerful items that can alter reality (most artifacts, Spheres of Annihilation), being attacked effectively, or beings of great power (exceptionally powerful Oustiders mostly). If such a thing is within the Squids Dimensional Sense Range, the Squid gets a Willpower Save (DC 20) to shrug off the Confusion effect until the end of the encounter.

Vulnerabilities (Ex): Ghost Squid are vulnerable to specific spells, and other powers or abilities that mimic their effects. Spells or effects that would send an Extraplanar creature back to its home plane (Banishment, Dismissal, Holy Word, etc.) cause it to flee from the caster at full speed for 1d6 minutes instead. If a Ghost Squid is summoned via Greater Planar Binding it remains present after the spell ends. Targeting a Ghost Squid with Plane Shift Stuns it for 1d6 rounds. Ghost Squids will not enter Antimagic Fields. If a Ghost Squid enters a Gate it teleports 1d00 miles in a random direction. Temporal Stasis and Time Stop do not effect the Ghost Squid. They gain the same benefits as the caster in the case of Time Stop. Ghost Squid may not enter the area of effect of a Forbiddance Spell. Dispel Magic targeted on a Ghost Squid Nauseates it for 1 round if it fails a Will Save (DC 10 Spell level + appropriate caster stat). Greater Dispel Magic Nauseates it for 1d4 rounds, and Mordenkainen's Disjunction Nauseates it for 1d6 rounds, and Dazes it for 1d6 rounds after that. Casting Dimensional Lock or Dimensional Anchor on a Ghost Squid casues it to become solid for the spells duration. While solid it loses the Incorporeal subtype and gains the following changes to its stats:

It uses the stats and initiative listed in parentheses. Flight speed becomes 15' (poor). The Ghost Squid can concentrate so it no longer suffers from Confusion. Armor Class becomes a 19 (+4 Size, +3 Dex, +2 natural), touch 17, flat footed 16. Its touch corrodes matter, so instead of Wisdom Damage its attacks do acid damage.

Attack: Swarm 3d6 acid
    The Ghost Squid may not use its Rend Soul ability while solid.

Flight (Ex): The Ghost Squids ability to fly is unexplained. Gravity apparently offers no hold on the Squid and it simply hovers in mid air until it wills itself to move in a direction. This means it cannot fall below its current position, and is immune to effects like the Reverse Gravity spell.

Combat: Pretty much the same as a regular Ghost Squid.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2009-02-06 at 06:02 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

15. - Top - End - #225

Martian Template

Martian is an inherited template that can be applied to any Aberration, Animal, Dragon, Fey, Giant, Humanoid, Magical Beast, Monstrous Humanoid, or Vermin.

Size and Type: All subtypes are kept, type changes to Aberration if it isn't already. Size remains the same if the base creature is an aberration. It goes down 1 Size Class if it's a Fey or Humanoid. It goes up 1 Size Class if it's anything else.

Hit Dice: Hit Dice change to d8's if they aren't already. If it goes down a Size class it loses 1 racial hit die. If it goes up a size class it gains 2 hit dice.

Speed: Unchanged unless size class changes. If size class goes down base speed is -10 feet. If it goes up base speed is +10 feet.

Armor Class: Unchanged unless size class changes (see page 291 of the Monster Manual).

Attacks: Unchanged. If size class changes don't forget the new size modifier.

Damage: Unchanged unless size class changes (see page 291 of the Monster Manual).

Special Attacks: The Martian keeps all Special Attacks of the base creature except the following: If the base creatures entry says it can cast spells as an x level caster, replace that with "it can manifest psionic powers as an x level manifester". Primary manifesting stat is Intelligence if the base creature was a Aberration, Dragon, Fey, Humanoid, Giant, or Monstrous Humanoid. Otherwise it's Wisdom. If the base creature has spell like abilities replace them with similar Psi-Like abilities. If there are no similar Psionic Powers, replace it with Powers of the same level. Power Points are same as a Psion of the same level. Martians have a minimum of 1 Power Point per hit die even if they do not have Psionics or Psi-Like abilities.

Special Qualities: The Martian retains all Special Qualities of the base creature except the following: Spell Resistance is replaced with Power Resistance. If the base creature was Mindless (i.e. Vermin) it loses that and now gains skills and Feats according to it's Hit Dice. The Martian is also well equipped to survive in the desert requiring only one quarter as much water as the base creature. It also has a +4 Racial bonus on Fortitude Saves against Dehydration. If the creature is Aquatic it becomes Amphibious gaining a land speed equal to half its Swim speed.

Saves: Saves must be recalculated, Willpower is now the only Good Save.

Abilities: If size class changes add those modifiers (see page 291 of the Monster Manual). The Base creature also gets +2 Intelligence and Wisdom. If the base creatures Intelligence is less than 8, it raises to a 10.

Skills: Skills must be recalculated for racial levels. The Martian gets (2 + Intelligence modifier) skill points per Hit Die, with X4 points for the first Hit Die. Class skills are the same as the base creature plus Autohypnosis and Concentration.

Feats: Gains Heat Endurance, Improved Heat Endurance, and 1 Psionic Feat as Bonus Feats. If the base creature no longer qualifies for 1 of it's feats (for example Weapon Finesse because it lost it's dex to to Size Increase) the Psionic Feat replaces that instead. Metamagic Feats (or Feats modifying Spell Like Abilities) are converted to similar Metapsionic Feats instead.

Environment: Warm Desert (or Warm Aquatic if Aquatic)

Alignment: Usually unchanged, but sometimes leans towards Chaotic Neutral.

Organization: Unchanged

Treasure: Unchanged

Challenge Rating: +1

Advancement: Unchanged

Level Adjustment: +1

Martians are native to a dry red desert country called Mars (it's part of my silly campaign). They are like the native species of other places except that they are all uniformly bright green, hairless, with antennae and large red eyes. They also usually have no nose, pointy ears, and a bulbous head (mostly because hey all have some minor psionic ability). All believe of themselves that they are the only true Martians, and all the other species are poor copies, only to be associated with to conquer non-natives. Oh yes and they all have a psychotic desire to rule the rest of the world. it makes their politics quite interesting.

Example: Martian Aranea

Empress Moonpie
    Large Aberration (Shapechanger)
    Hit Dice: 5d8+20 (43 hp)
    Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares), 35 ft. climb
    Armor Class: 13 (-1 Size,+1 Dex, +3 Natural ), touch 10, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
    Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+4 plus poison) or web +4 ranged
    Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+4 plus poison) or web +4 ranged
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Poison, Psionics, Web
    Special Qualities: Change Shape, Dark Vision 60', Low Light Vision
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 19, Dex 13, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 14
    Skills: Autohypnosis +10, Climb +18, Concentration +10, Escape Artist +6, Jump +17, Listen +7, Spot +7
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Heat Endurance (B), Improved Heat Endurance (B)
    Environment: Warm Desert
    Organization: Solitary or Colony (3-6)
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Treasure: Standard Coins, double goods, standard items
    Level Adjustment: +5

Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 16, initial damage 1d6 Str, secondary damage 2d6 Str. Save is Constitution based.

Web (Ex): Unchanged from regular Aranea stat block.

Psionics: Empress Moonpie manifests psionic powers as a 3rd level manifester, primary manifesting stat is Wisdom.

Change Shape (Su): Unchanged from regular Aranea Stat block, except the humanoid form is a Martian humanoid.

Skills: Aranea's have a +2 racial bonus on Jump, Listen, and Spot checks. They have a +8 Racial bonus on Climb checks, and may always take 10 on a Climb check (even if threatened or endangered).

Empress Moonpie is your average Martian spider woman, newly hatched and ready to vie for her throne. Technically she's currently only one of dozens of princesses, but once she ascends by murdering all her sisters, (and of course, Mom) she can begin her dreams of world conquest.

Unfortunately all her sisters have the same dream.

And her guards.

And her maids.

Even her pet bug-thing wants to rule the world. It makes life tedious...
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-09-07 at 07:21 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if they only want to rule the WORLD, then as long as you stay off MARS you are safe, right?

Change to "The Solar System", or "Earth", or "The Universe", or "The Material Plane" or something probably...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #227
    Bugbear in the Playground

XD I can just imagine creatures with this template coupled with the Alienist from Complete Arcane...
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

18. - Top - End - #228

The Black Eye
    Gargantuan Aberration
    Hit Dice: 36d8+288 (450 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), Fly 30 ft. (good), Swim 50 ft.
    Armor Class: 26 (-4 Size, -1 Dex, +21 Natural), touch 5, flat-footed
    Base Attack/Grapple: +27/+52
    Attack: Eye Rays +22 ranged touch and 1 Tentacle +37 melee
    (2d6+13)
    Full Attack: Eye Rays +22 ranged touch, 10 Tentacles +37 melee
    (2d6+13), and 1 Bite +34 melee (3d6+6)
    Space/Reach: 20 ft./15 ft. (tentacles 30 ft)
    Special Attacks: Baleful Flash, Constrict 3d8+13, Eye Rays, Improved
    Grab, Persistent Image
    Special Qualities: All-Around Vision, Dark Vision 60', Flight, Damage
    Reduction 15/-, Black Skin
    Saves: Fort +22, Ref +11, Will +26
    Abilities: Str 36, Dex 8, Con 26, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 24
    Skills: Hide +7, Listen +41, Search +40, Spot +45, Survival +3 (+5 following
    tracks)
    Feats: Ability Focus (Baleful Flash), Alertness, Damage Reduction
    (Epic, x5), Fling Enemy, Great Fortitude, Improved
    Initiative, Iron Will, Large and In Charge, Multiattack,
    Multigrab, Weapon Focus (Tentacle)
    Environment: Cold Aquatic
    Challenge Rating: 17 or 18?
    Alignment: Neutral Evil
    Advancement: 37+ HD

"I won't risk pirates. We'll change course and head into the South Ocean. They won't chase us there."

"But what about the rumors about the South Ocean sir? About the ships disappearing and the monsters?"

The creature known as the Black Eye began life as a humble Eye of the Deep. Upon being spawned it was jet black with milky pupil less eyes. Instead of the normal claws it had 10 long ropey black tentacles, 2 of which had functional hands. Normally such a freak would have been eaten by its parent, but the Eye was lucky and rivals had determined to take out his progenitor when it was at its weakest. The Eye was the only member of his brood to escape in the chaos. It grew enormous over time, intelligent but still feral. The Eye is now a legend in the ocean it haunts, plaguing the shipping lanes.

Baleful Flash (Su): As a free action the Eye can generate a gigantic flash of light in a 120' cone from its central eye. Opponents in the cone must make a DC 38 Fortitude Save or be Blinded for 3d6 rounds and Stunned for half that duration. A successful save negates the Stun and reduces the blindness to Dazzled. Sightless creatures are immune to this effect. Save DC is Constitution based.

Constrict (Ex): The Eye deals 3d8+13 damage with a successful Grapple check.

Eye Rays (Su): The Eye has 2 eye rays with a range of 250 feet, and a Save DC of 35 (Save DC is Charisma based) that it can use once per round as a free action. Caster Level equals the Eye's Hit Dice (Currently 36). The first eye produces a Hold Monster effect (Will Save), the second produces a Cone of Cold (Reflex Save, only effects target touched by the ray).

Improved Grab (Ex): If the Eye hits with a tentacle attack it can attempt a Grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check it may constrict.

Persistent Image (Sp): As a standard action the Eye may create a Persistent Image as the spell of the same name (caster level equals the Eyes current Hit Dice, currently 36). Willpower Save DC is 21. It cant use the Eye rays in the same round it casts Persistent Image.

All-Around Vision (Ex): The Black Eyes many eyes give it a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks, and it cannot be flanked.

Black Skin (Ex): At night or in Dark Areas the Black Eye has a +8 Circumstance Bonus to Hide checks, and does not receive a penalty to Hide checks due to Size.

Flight (Ex): The Eyes body is naturally buoyant granting it a permanent Feather Fall effect as per the spell of the same name with personal range.

Combat: Initially the Eye will use it's Persistent Image to distract guards on a ships crew at night. It will then use it's Flash to blind them, and pull them over the side to drown. It will do this on multiple nights to whittle down the crew it's facing before finally attacking.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2009-02-28 at 03:40 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

19. - Top - End - #229

The Corrupt

This is an Acquired Template that can be applied to any Animal, Humanoid, or Vermin (Itís in a pretty restricted campaign, in yours you may wish to expand it to any living being) size Small or bigger.

Size and Type: Size is Unchanged, Type changes to Outsider. The base Creature gains the Chaotic, Evil, and Aquatic subtypes if it doesn't have them. It loses the Lawful or Good Subtypes if it has those.

Hit Dice: All current and future Hit Dice are d8ís.

Speed: Unchanged. If the creature does not have a Climb Speed it gains one equal to half itís base speed. If it doesnít have a Swim move it gains one equal to itís land speed.

Armor Class: Unchanged.

Attacks: BAB is now equal to the Base Creatures hit dice if it has Racial Hit Dice.
    It also gains several tentacle attacks. When making a Full Attack it can also make a number of extra tentacle attacks (these are secondary attacks) depending on it's size (these are secondary attacks). Small: 1 tentacle attack doing 1d3 plus 1/2 Strength bonus. Medium: 2 Tentacle attacks doing 1d4 plus half Strength bonus. Large: 3 tentacle attacks doing 1d6 plus half Strength bonus. Huge: 4 tentacle attacks doing 1d8 plus half Strength bonus. Gargantuan: 5 Tentacle attacks doing 2d6 plus half Strength bonus. These extra tentacle attacks emerge from the creatures mouth so it loses it's bite attack (if it has one) and wishes to use them.

Damage: Unchanged.

Special Attacks: The Corrupt retains all Special Attacks of the Base Creature, and gains the following:

Improved Grab (Ex): If the Corrupt hits with one of it's tentacle attacks, or one of the Base creature's primary natural attacks it may immediately make a grapple attempt as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it is successful it may constrict.

Constrict (Ex): If the corrupt succeeds in a grapple attempt it vomits tentacles around it's victim rending their flesh. The Constriction does a certain amount of damage based on the Base Creatures size class plus double it's Strength modifier. Small: 1d6, Medium: 1d8, Large: 2d6, Huge:2d8, Gargantuan: 4d6.

Psychoactive Slime (Ex): The Corrupts tentacles are covered in a slime that causes mild hallucinations in it's victims, and makes them susceptible to commands. It also produces a mild aphrodisiac effect. The combination basically allows the Corrupt to seduce it's opponent into allowing it to be converted into another Corrupt. The poison is a contact poison. Initial and Secondary damage is 1d4 Wisdom (Save DC is 10 plus i/2 the Corrupts Hit Dice plus it's Constitution modifier).

Kiss (Ex): If a Corrupt can seduce a victim into allowing the Corrupt to kiss it, the Corrupt will extrude tentacles down it's throat. The victim can make a Grapple Check to escape, but the Corrupt gains a +8 Circumstance Bonus to it's Grapple Check. Each round the Grapple is maintained the victim begins to suffocate, and is poisoned by the tentacles Psychoactive Slime. If the victim dies it will reanimate as a Corrupt within 1d4 days.

Hypnotic Call (Su): Once a creature has fallen victim to it's psychoactive slime the Corrupt will use it's telepathy to coerce the creature to submit willingly to it's Kiss. If the victim escapes it may also use the ability to entice him back. As a full round action the Corrupt may telepathically call any victim that has been poisoned by it's psychoactive slime. The victim must be within 1 mile of the Corrupt. The Corrupt sends telepathic messages attempting to coerce the victim who must make a Willpower save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Corrupts Hit Dice + it's Charisma modifier) or willingly submit to the Kiss for 1 round. Optionally it may also attempt to force an escaped victim to return if he is within the 1 mile range (Save DC is same).

Special Qualities: The Corrupt retains all Special Qualities of the Base Creature, and gains the following:

Amphibious (Ex): The Corrupt can exist easily in both water and air.

Regeneration 5

Damage Reduction 5/Slashing or Piercing

Blooming Wounds (Ex):[/B] If the Corrupt takes a Critical Hit from a Slashing or Piercing weapon it's true nature is revealed. It also allows it to bring more tentacles to bear, giving it one extra tentacle attack for every critical hit it receives.

Immunities: The Corrupt is immune to Poison, Sleep effects, Paralysis, Stunning, Disease, Death effects, Critical Hits, Non lethal damage, fatigue and exhaustion effects, aging effects, and polymorph.

Telepathy (Su): The Corrupt can communicate telepathically with any being in 100'.

Unnatural (Ex): The Corrupt do not eat, drink, age, or sleep.

Dark Vision(Ex) 60'

Saves: All Saves are now Good Saves, and Saves from racial hit dice must be recalculated..

Abilities: +4 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con, +6 Int, +6 Wis, +6 Cha

Skills: If the base creature has racial hit dice, skill points are now (8+Int) per level, with x4 for the 1st level. Class skills are whatever skills are listed in the base creatures entry.

Feats: Mention any changes in Feats or Bonus Feats here.

Organization: Solitary, Pair, Group (3-6), or City (several hundred)

Challenge Rating: +3?

Alignment: Becomes Chaotic Evil

Advancement: By class level

Level Adjustment: +6?

The Corrupt are a relatively new creature, created by the sacrifice of insane cultists to powers beyond that they do not understand. The Corrupt appears to be a perfectly normal man or woman, but in reality it is a suit of skin and artifice. The skin is filled with the power of creatures from beyond this world which manifests itself as slimy octopus like tentacles. So long as the 'suit' isn't damaged beyond repair, the Outsider within it can remain in this world, infecting and converting others. If it takes too much damage, or is rent apart somehow the truth is revealed to the world, and the tentacles inside burrow into the Earth making a loud keening sound. The ruse is difficult to penetrate. A DC 35 Spot check will occasionally detect an undulating under the skin, or a joint bending in a way it shouldn't. The concentration of the corrupt isn't infallible. Under water or in extremely high winds the check drops to DC 20. A critical hit with any weapon reveals the Corrupt immediately, as tentacles will protrude from any open wound, and a strong blunt blow will bend the outside suit in odd ways.

The Lady Alessa (Female Human Aristocrat 5/Corrupt)
    Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Aquatic)
    Hit Dice: 5d8+10 (32 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), Climb 15 ft., Swim 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 13 (+3 Dex), touch 13, flat-footed 10
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+4
    Attack: Weapon +4 melee
    Full Attack: Weapon +4 melee, and 2 tentacles -1 melee (1d4)
    Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Kiss, Psychoactive Slime, Constrict, Hypnotic Call
    Special Qualities: Amphibious, Regeneration 5, Damage Reduction 5/Slashing or Piercing, Blooming Wounds, Telepathy, Unnatural, Dark Vision 60', Immunities
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +9
    Abilities: Str 12, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 20, Cha 22
    Skills: Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Gather Information +13, Intimidate +16, Knowledge (Local, Nobility) +11, Listen +12, Sense Motive +14, Spot +12
    Feats: Negotiator, Persuasive
    Challenge Rating: 8
    Advancement: by character class
    Level Adjustment: +6

The Lady Alessa is a human noble and a typical example of a Corrupt made for gathering information and political power.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2009-02-11 at 05:24 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

20. - Top - End - #230

Mansects are vermin magically enhanced to be able to disguise themselves as humans well enough to infiltrate human society. Most are ambush predators who pose as attractive women, or infirm/vulnerable people long enough to get someone to approach close enough to ambush. They are often used by spellcasters who despise human society as minions.

MANSECT

Template Type: Mansect is an Acquired Template that can be applied to any Vermin of Small to Large size.

Size and Type: Size is unchanged, Type becomes Magical Beast.

Hit Dice: Unchanged.

Speed: Unchanged.

Armor Class: Natural Armor Class Bonus increases by +2.

Attacks: Recalculate BAB due to Type change.

Damage: Unchanged.

Special Attacks: Retains all attacks of the Base Creature.

Special Qualities: Retains all Special Qualities (except Mindless) of the Base Creature, and gains the following:

Mimicry (Su): The Mansect may cast Alter Self at will. Caster level is equal to Hit Dice or 5, whichever is greater.

Saves: Recalculate Saving Throws due to Type change.

Abilities: +2 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Wis. Int and Cha become 2d6+6.

Skills: Recalculate skills due to Type change and loss of Mindless. Class skills are Balance, Bluff, Climb, Disguise, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Spot, and Survival (along with any skills it has Racial bonuses in). Retains any Racial Bonuses from the Base Creature.

Feats: Now that it is no longer mindless the Base Creature gains a number of Feats as normal per it's Hit Dice level.

Environment: Unchanged.

Organization: Solitary.

Challenge Rating: +1

Treasure: Standard.

Alignment: Remains Neutral, but many eventually become either Neutral Evil, Lawful Neutral, or Chaotic Neutral.

Advancement: Unchanged or By Character Class.

"I was patrolling the docks with my partner when we came across a woman in rags who had been savagely attacked. She was covered in blood and bruises. Or at least that's what we thought until we got closer. The blood she was covered in wasn't hers, and the bruises were some sort of skin disease or something. Her arms and face split open, and she tore Paul into ribbons. It was like she was a huge thing hiding in a human skin. Some kind of insect..."

The origin of Mansects is unknown. Despite the name, any giant arthropod (and most invertebrates really) can become one. How isn't known. They appear to be intelligent, and actively malicious. Besides food and finding a mate they don't seem to have many concerns or goals. Or at least none that anyone knows of. The Mansects "spin" or create a fleshy disguise meant to make them look human at a distance. Once they're close the disguise is shed, and they attack.

The Mantis Woman
    Large Magical Beast (Mantis with Mansect Template)
    Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30 hp)
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), Fly 40 ft. (poor)
    Armor Class: 18 (-1 Size, +1 Dex, +8 Natural), touch 10, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+13
    Attack: Claw +8 melee (1d8+5)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +8 melee (1d8+5) and 1 Bite +3 melee (1d6+2)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Improved Grab
    Special Qualities: Dark Vision 60', Mimicry
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 21, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 12
    Skills: Bluff +5, Climb +5, Disguise +5, Hide +8, Listen +6, Move Silently +5, Spot +8, Survival +6
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness
    Environment: Temperate Forests
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Alignment: Neutral Evil

Improved Grab (Ex): If the Mantis Woman hits with her Claw attack she can immediately make a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity. If successful she does her Bite damage each round the Grapple is maintained.

Mimcry (Su): The Mantis Woman may cast Alter Self at will. Caster level is 5.

Skills: The Mantis Woman has a +4 Racial Bonus has a +4 Racial Bonus to Hide and Spot checks.

Combat: The Mantis Woman tries to appear as a diseased beggar, or helpless woman who has been attacked to lure victims close. Then she grapples and tries to finish them off as quickly as possible, fleeing if the battle attracts attention.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2009-02-26 at 06:38 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

21. - Top - End - #231

Sage Buzzard
    Medium Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 5d10+5 (32 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares), Fly 80 ft.(Good)
    Armor Class: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+6
    Attack: Talon +6 melee (1d6+1)
    Full Attack: 2 Talons +6 melee (1d6+1) and 1 Beak +1 melee (1d6)
    Special Attacks: RAWK!
    Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, Dark Vision 60', Spell Like Abilities, Sage Knowledge, Scent
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 12, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 18
    Skills: Bluff, Decipher Script, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcana, Geography, History, Local, Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival
    Feats: Fly-By Attack, Hover
    Environment: Warm Desert
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Alignment: usually Neutral
    Advancement: 6-10 HD (Medium)

"Will you hurry up and die? I'd like to eat before I expire of old age."

Sage Buzzards look more like vultures than buzzards, and are renowned for their knowledge of just about damn near everything. They're also pretty well known for lurking nearby as people and animals die waiting to make them a free lunch despite knowing how to save them. In their defense food is mighty hard to come by where they live. But if you have food aplenty to bribe them with they'll take care of you, and tell you what they know on any subject you care to hear them argue about (nothing is worse than a flock of know it all's). They speak Common, and whatever the local races speak (they have up to 4 additional languages). Their origin is unknown, but it is rumored that in a desert somewhere is the fabled Tower of Bib. Bib's tower is covered in mystical writings that bring Awareness to any animal reading them. The Sage Buzzards scoff at these rumors, and do their best to discourage people from going out in the desert to see if the Tower is real. They eat some of them even...

RAWK! (Su): Once every 1d4 rounds the Buzzard can unleash an ear splitting screech. Any living creature within 60' must make a DC 16 Willpower Save or be Shaken for 1d6 rounds. Save DC is Charisma Based. If the opponent Saves successfully it is immune to this Buzzard's RAWK! attack for 24 hours.

Sage Knowledge (Ex): This is mostly identical to the Bardic Knowledge ability on page 28 of the Players Handbook. Instead of Bard levels the Sage Buzzard uses it's Hit Dice.

Spell Like Abilities (Sp): The Sage Buzzard can cast the following spells as Spell Like abilities: Deathwatch, Detect Magic, Detect Posion, Know Direction (At Will), Death Knell, Delay Poison, Detect Animals or Plants, Hide from Animals, Locate Objects, Speak With Animals, Whispering Wind (3 times per day), Clairvoyance, Commune With Nature, Locate Creature, Scrying (Once per day). Caster level is equal to Hit Dice.

Combat: Sage Buzzards aren't great combatants. They usually use their spells to coordinate and arrange little traps for foes. They don't so much fight as wage a campaign of harassment. Unless they know you're dying. Then it's on.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2009-01-05 at 01:04 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Your critters look darn good. I really like the Corrupted.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2008-07-22 at 09:33 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Your critters look darn good. I really like the Corrupted.

Debby
    I wish I did. It still feels kinda eh to me.
    Orcs and Goblins

24. - Top - End - #234

Awakened Spells

Awakened Spells are an odd occurrence that happen in areas of Wild Magic at very rare moments. Sometimes in particularly volatile regions when a mage casts a spell it gains a life of its own. This usually takes 1d6 weeks after the spell is cast so the mage is unaware it has happened. An Awakened spell looks like its 'creator' but for its size (which is dependent on it's spell level) and minor changes in appearance depending on what the spell was (A Fireball might have flaming pupils for instance, or orange skin). To make an Awakened Spell you must choose a Base Creature, and a Base Spell. The Base Creature is the caster who cast the soon to be living spell, and the Base Spell is the spell that has come to life. When text refers to the level of the Base spell it is the spells level plus any increases due to Metamagic Feats. For example a Maximized Fireball is a 6th level spell.

Awakened Spell is an Inherited template that can be given to any creature that can cast spells as a result of it's Class. It is considered Inherited since the template is being applied to the newly created spell as opposed to the caster.

Size and Type: Type becomes Aberration. Size depends on Spell Level of the Base Spell (0:Tiny, 1-3: Small, 4-6: Medium, 7-9: Large, Epic: Huge).

Hit Dice: Hit Dice change to d8's and must be recalculated. Hit Dice total becomes 1 plus Base Spell Level (Epic Spells have 11 Hit Dice).

Speed: Unchanged.

Armor Class: The base creature loses any Natural Armor bonus, but gains a Deflection bonus to Armor Class equal to 1 plus the Base Spells level (Epic Spells get a +11 Bonus).

Base Attack/Grapple: Recalculate based on new Hit Dice total and size.

Attacks: Unchanged

Special Attacks: The Awakened Spell keeps none of the Special Attacks of the Base Creature. Instead it gains the following:

Johnny One Spell (Sp): The Awakened Spell may cast the spell it used to be as a Spell Like Ability. In other words an Awakened Magic Missile may cast Magic Missile. If any Metamagic Feats were used while the spell that would eventually come to life was being cast their effects are included. In other words if our Awakened Spell were a Heightened Magic Missile, it would cast Heightened Magic Missiles. The Living Spell may cast this spell a certain number of times per day depending on the original spells level (0: At will, 1-3: 5 times per day, 4-6: 3 times per day, 7-9: Once per day, Epic: Once per week. If the original spell was cast with Metamagic Feats and used a higher level spell slot because of this, the spell is considered to be that spell. In other words if the spell was a 3rd level spell like Fireball and it was maximized with the Maximize Spell Feat, it is considered a 6th level spell.). Caster level is the Awakened Spells Effective Character Level.

Powerful Caster (Su):The Awakened Spells effective caster level for all Spells it can cast is equal to its Effective Character Level (i.e. Racial Hit Dice + Character Levels + Level Adjustment).

Special Qualities: The Awakened Spell keeps none of the Special Qualities of the Base Creature and instead gains the following:

Magic Resistance: The Awakened Spell has a Racial bonus to all Saving Throws equal to the Base Spell Level (0 level Spells receive no Bonus, Epic Spells get a +10).

Spell Resistance: The Awakened Spell has Spell Resistance equal to 15 plus its Base Spell Level (+10 for Epic Spells) plus its Charisma modifier.

Immunities (Ex): The Awakened Spell is Immune to poison, paralysis, disease, age/sleep/death effects, stunning, polymorph, fatigue, or exhaustion. Awakened Spells do not eat, sleep. or age.

Dark Vision: Range is 60'

Arcane Body (Su): The Awakened Spell retains any Subtypes the Base spell had. For example Awakened spells with the Fire and Evil Descriptors gain the Fire and Evil Subtypes. Certain effects such as Dispel Magic or Antimagic Fields cause Awakened Spells problems. Dispel Magic effects the Awakened Spell in a manner similar to the Clerics Turn Undead ability. The Arcane Caster must do a Targeted Dispel Magic, and then rolls 1d20 plus his Charisma modifier to see how powerful an Awakened spell he can effect (use the Turning Undead table on page 159 of the Players Handbook). If the Awakened Spell is within the range of effect the caster then rolls 2d6 + caster level + Charisma modifier. If this equals or exceeds the Awakened Spells Hit Dice, it is affected in the exact same manner as Turn Undead effects the Undead. If the opponent casting Dispel Magic was the caster who originally cast the Base Spell that has become an Awakened Spell he/she gets a +4 Circumstance Bonus on both rolls. If an Awakened Spell enters an Antimagic Field it must make a Fortitude Save each round it is in it (DC:10 + 1/2 opponent casters level + opponent casters Charisma bonus) or take 1 point of Constitution damage each round it is in the Field. The Awakened Spell may also be modified depending on whether Metamagic feats were used when casting the Base spell (see Notes below). If Detect Magic is used on an Awakened Spell it radiates an aura like any normal spell of its type.

Sense Creator (Su): An Awakened Spell always knows exactly where the caster who created it is as long as they are both on the same Plane of existence. It also knows whether the caster is alive, dead, or undead.

Limited Repertoire: The Awakened Spells may only take class levels in the same spellcasting class as their creator and any Prestige Classes it allows them to qualify for (i.e. a spell that was cast by a Wizard becomes a Wizard).

Abilities: The Awakened Spells Int, Wis, and Cha are 10 + Base Spells Level. The Physical attributes are the same as the base Creature, modified for its possible new Size Class (see page 291 of the Monster Manual). The Awakened Spells primary casting stat gets another +2.

Skills: The Awakened Spell gets (2+Int modifer) skill points per level with 4 times that for the first level. Class skills are Concentration, Hide, Move Silently, Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device.

Feats: In addition to the Feats it would normally receive (i.e. one every 3 hit dice plus one at first level), the Living Spell receives any metamagic Feats used in the casting that created it.

Challenge Rating: CR now depends on the level of the Base Spell: 0-3: +2, 4-9: +3, Epic: +4, and add +1 for every 4 Hit Dice

Alignment: Unchanged.

Level Adjustment: Level Adjustment depends on the level of the Base Spell: 0-1: +3, 2-3: +4, 4: +5, 5: +6, 7-9: +7, Epic: +8

Notes: Some Awakened spells can take certain racial Feats depending on what Metamagic Feat was used in their creation.

Empowered Smite
    Take that hooligans!!
    Prerequisites: Awakened Spell created with Empowered Spell Metamagic Feat, must be taken at 1st level
    Benefits: 3 times per day when casting a spell your Caster Level is considered 4 levels higher for purposes of Caster level checks to overcome Spell Resistance. This stacks with Feats like Spell Penetration.
    will return to

Hulking Spell
    Greetings puny mortal :D
    Prerequisites: Awakened Spell created with Enlarge Spell Metamagic Feat, must be taken at 1st level
    Benefits 3 times per day the Awakened spell can become 1 Size class bigger for 3 rounds plus 1 round per point of Charisma Modifier.

Personal Spell
    How do you like my Mage Armor?
    Prerequisites: Awakened Spell created with Extend Spell Metamagic Feat, must be taken at 1st level
    Benefits Once per day you may cast any 1 spell with a Range of Personal, and it lasts for 24 hours.

Wide Load
    I'm not fat, I'm big boned.
    Prerequisites: Awakened Spell created with Widen Spell Metamagic Feat, must be taken at 1st level
    Benefits The Awakened Spell has the Powerful Build ability, and it's weight is one and a half times greater.

Fast Spell
    Take the spell component from my hand grasshopper.
    Prerequisites: Awakened Spell created with Quicken Spell Metamagic Feat, must be taken at 1st level
    Benefits The Awakened Spell gains a +4 Bonus to Initiative checks. This stacks with Improved Initiative and similar Feats.

Quiet Spell
    Sneaky Sneakies...
    Prerequisites: Awakened Spell created with Silent Spell Metamagic Feat, must be taken at 1st level
    Benefits 3 times per day the Awakened Spell can take 10 on a Move Silently skill check.

Example Living Spell
    Base Creature: Dwarf Sorcerer
    Base Spell: Leomunds Tiny Hut
    Note: Physical stats were all 10 plus racial bonuses

Jabberer the Hut
    Small Aberration
    Hit Dice: 4d8+4 (22 hp)
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 14 (+4 Deflection), touch 14, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-2
    Attack: By Weapon +2
    Full Attack: By Weapon +2
    Special Attacks: Johnny One Spell (Leomund's Tiny Hut 5/day), Powerful Natural Caster
    Special Qualities: Spell Resistance 14, Immunities, Dark Vision 60', Arcane Body, Sense Creator
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 13
    Skills: Concentration +8, Hide +7, Listen +3, Move Silently +4, Spellcraft +9, Spot +3, Use Magic Device +8
    Feats: Alertness, Endurance
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Treasure: None currently
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    Advancement: Wizard Levels only
    Level Adjustment: +4
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-08-31 at 04:53 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

25. - Top - End - #235
    Bugbear in the Playground

that awakened spell looks pretty sweet!
    Last edited by Sir Shadow; 2008-07-24 at 07:18 AM.
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Awakened spell should really be rephrased as an inherited template since it is a new creature and not a transformation of the caster. Perhaps look at the tauric template as an example of how to phrase it...
    Cool idea though.
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #237

I added your suggestions Draco (I also added some formatting so its easier to read). I had an example somewhere and some racial Feats but Ive misplaced them. Lemme find em and Ill have em up soon.
    Orcs and Goblins

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

All of these things are made from WIN, Kittehs and F(r)iends FTW

29. - Top - End - #239

Okay Arguskos has made a request to develop a race of monsters, so I'll be working on them a bit for now.

Xorth, Soldier
    Medium Construct (Living)
    Hit Dice: 3d10+6 (22 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Armor Class: 19 (+3 Dex, +6 Natural), touch 13, flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+5
    Attack: Variable Weapon +5 melee (1d8+3)
    Full Attack: Variable Weapon +5 melee (1d8+3)
    Special Attacks: Form Weapon
    Special Qualities: Living Construct Traits, Low Light Vision, Dark Vision 60', Hive Mind
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 17, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 10
    Skills: Climb +4, Craft (Trapmaking) +2, Hide +4, Jump +4, Listen +3, Move Silently +4, Spot +3, Survival +2
    Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative
    Organization: Solitary, Pair, Group (3-5), Large Group (6-12), Raiding Party (15-30)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Alignment: Neutral
    Level Adjustment: --

Form Weapon (Ex): The Xorth Soldier can form weapons out of it's own body at will as a Swift Action. These weapons can't be disarmed. If sundered they can be reformed the next round as a Move Action. You may choose which type of damage they do (Bludgeoning/Piercing/Slashing) when manifesting the weapon, and change it as a Move Action.

Hive Mind (Su): All Xorth within 50 miles of a Controller are in constant communication. If one is aware of a particular danger they all are, and if one in the group isn't flat-footed, none of them are. No Xorth in a group is considered flanked unless all of them are.

First up: Soldiers: The "common" xorth, if such a thing can be said. A soldier xorth stands 5'10" and is purest black. They are not skilled tacticians on their own, and attack in a frenzy of slaying. Even as suicide troopers though, a soldier xorth is worth at least 3-5 human warriors. They don't fight to the death; if presented with overwhelming resistance, soldier xorth will retreat, set traps, and attack again with advantages if possible.

will revise fluff after I get stats straight.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-08-01 at 04:42 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Xorth, Soldier
    Medium Construct (Living)
    Hit Dice: 3d10+
    Initiative: +
    Armor Class: <#> (<AC bonus types>), touch <#>, flat-footed <#>
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+
    Attack:
    Full Attack:
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities:
    Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +
    Abilities: Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
    Skills: Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival
    Feats:
    Organization: Solitary, Pair, Group (3-5), Large Group (6-12), Raiding Party (15-30) ?
    Challenge Rating:
    Treasure: Standard?
    Alignment: Neutral?
    Advancement:
    Level Adjustment: +
    Ok, lots of questions/notes/etc...

1. Why Construct (Living)? Why not Living Construct?

2. Base stats, they should have pretty decent Str/Dex/Con, and poor everything else. They are a genetically designed race, and soldiers aren't meant to be great at conversing.

3. HD-wise, 3d10+Con looks nice.

4. AC wise, they get a natural armor bonus that should be fairly hefty. Also, they get Dex of course.

5. Xorth create their weapons out of their skin and body, making it impossible to disarm or sunder their weapons. This also gives them a great range of melee possibilities. Soldiers are likely to either use a one-handed weapon (such as a mace or longsword) and no shield, or a two-handed weapon, such as a halberd or greatsword. I guess I can sum this one up with: by weapon on the damage line?

6. Saves are dependent on type of course.

7. That's a good set of Skills. I'd add one more though: Craft (trapmaking).

8. Speed looks fine.

9. Feats... uh... I have no idea how many they should have. They should probably be decently combat related, something like Power Attack-->Cleave or some such. The bigger Xorth will have Awesome Blow (cause I love that ability).

10. CR on a soldier should be 3.

11. Treasure, Alignment, and Organization look fine. Advancement is by character class. They have no LA.

As to the fluff, I'll post more on the total xorth race fluff in here in a few days (once I get it sorted out somewhat).

Lastly, thanks again for the aid Bhu, I'm just not a monster-stats guy. >_<

-argus

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.