New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Effective Druidzilla

How do you actually make one? I keep reading about CoDzillas and stuff and while I understand how a cleric can be devastating I just don't see how the druid can also... So any links towards the topics of this nature or suggestions on making ones are extremly welcome.
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Effective Druidzilla

It's quite simple. You just play a druid. The thing about 'Druidzilla' is that you don't need a build, the druid is that good right out of the book. You could pick Skill Focus on randomly selected skills for all your feats and you'd still be a freakin' giant bear, with another giant bear as your animal companion to back you up.

Of course, picking up Natural Spell on 6th level and making good choices for wildshape forms and companions helps, but it's nowhere near needed to be good.

Edit: Let me elaborate. The first four levels, you hang back, cast Entanglement and Summon Nature's Ally, and your animal companion does the killing. At 5th level, you get wildshape and can buff up and become a better fighter than the fighter. And you still have the animal. At 6th level, you get Natural Spell, and you're now able to hang out in bear form most of the day and still cast spells. From then on, it just gets worse as you get access to better wildshape forms and animal companions, not to mention you're still a full caster.
    Last edited by Swooper; 2008-03-11 at 05:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

3. - Top - End - #3

Hm, good point, although I'm not that impressed with druid's spell list... How about taking nature's warrior prestige class?

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

I agree to a point on the druid spell list - it is indeed the worst of the three major ones in the PHB. There are some gems in between though. Consider:

1st - Entanglement, Shillelagh
    2nd - [Animal's] [Stat], Barkskin, Spider Climb.
    3rd - Greater Magic Fang (for your companion), Poison, Protection from Energy
    4th - Freedom of Movement, Scrying, Spike Stones
    5th - Baleful Polymorph, Death Ward, Stoneskin, Wall of Fire

I could go on I suppose, and Spell Compendium adds more good spells if you have access to it.

I'm not familiar with Nature's Warrior, I know it's in Complete Adventurer but I don't remember what it does. I doubt it'd be worth it - I don't think any PrC advances both your animal companion, your wildshaping and your spellcasting, your three major features. Druid is a good class to stick with all the way to 20.

Edit: Damn, now I wanna play a druid
    Last edited by Swooper; 2008-03-11 at 05:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post

I'm not familiar with Nature's Warrior, I know it's in Complete Adventurer but I don't remember what it does. I doubt it'd be worth it - I don't think any PrC advances both your animal companion, your wildshaping and your spellcasting, your three major features. Druid is a good class to stick with all the way to 20.
    Planar Shepherd does. It'd be broken just for that even if it didn't have the planar trait shenanigans.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Planar Shepherd does. It'd be broken just for that even if it didn't have the planar trait shenanigans.
    Oh gods. I didn't know that. I thought it was one of those classes that was worth losing, maybe two of those progressions for. Damn.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't forget that Druids can decent back-up healers. Augment Summoning is also good if you want to use alot of SNA spells (it needs Spell Focus (Conjuration) first, though.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

How does the Druid go about gaining flight? Most of his best forms can't fly. Does he have to just bite the bullet and be a little less effective?

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

9. - Top - End - #9

True. I didn't want to go into all the details, though

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    How does the Druid go about gaining flight? Most of his best forms can't fly. Does he have to just bite the bullet and be a little less effective?
    If you have some Wild Shape uses to spare, couldn't you use this feat from Complete Divine while already in whatever animal form you want?

Though, you're probably just better off buying an item of continuous fly that will fit on animal forms once you get into the far higher levels.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Within the Core selection at least, yes. If they have to fight something that flies or while they themselves are flying the best choice is probably using Summon Nature's Ally to get backup. That changes when the Druid finally gets to Elemental wildshape; air elementals are quite at home in the sky, although probably still not quite as deadly as the best ground-bound shapes.

If you go into expanded Monster Manuals or non-core feats and classes, you get a lot more options. Being able to wildshape into a Magical Beast gets a lot of nice choices.

Edit: Or stick a Wilding Clasp on a set of Wings of Flying.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2008-03-11 at 05:58 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Yes, every book is available, but I don't want to be ridiculously broken, like that Planar Shepherd (where's that from anyway?), so how do you get the ability to wild shape into magical beasts? Also, which parts of your equipment merge with your body once you wild shape and which ones stay (if I have Amulet of Mighty Fists, does it stay on me etc?)

And which are the best forms to wild shape into?
    Last edited by Gorbash; 2008-03-11 at 06:12 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, unless I'm mistaken, the Wilding Clasp never got updated to 3.5. It was included in a few of the 3.0 books, but I haven't seen it since.

As for items, all your equipment melds into your body unless your new form has the ability to use such an item ( I believe if you turn into a legendary ape, you can retain your melee weapon, for instance)
    Tendriculos Avatar by Sampi

Homebrew : 4E - The Kythons

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    "What is you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word, and I'll cast a custom Epic Spell and rearrange the entire night sky!"
    With regards to playing a Kobold:
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzaver View Post
    ...most of us have a shrieking little midget inside us that we enjoy bringing out from time to time.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I thijnk apes can also use some other types of equipment (you may need to take things that you want to use in ape form off first, though). Isn't there an euipment enhancement which allows you to use other items when Wildshaped? Also, what does Planar Shepherd do?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    I thijnk apes can also use some other types of equipment (you may need to take things that you want to use in ape form off first, though). Isn't there an euipment enhancement which allows you to use other items when Wildshaped? Also, what does Planar Shepherd do?
    Planar Shepherd is one of those PrCs that make you worry for the sanity of the WoTC designers. Not only is it relatively easy to qualify for (as a druid or wildshaping ranger), but it is full caster progression, and stacks for purposes of the druid major features (like animal companion and wildshape)

On top of that... it lets you wildshape into creatures of a chosen plane (magical creatures and outsiders). Oh, and it lets you keep all their extraordinary, supernatural and spell like abilities...

Oh... lets not forget planar bubble, which lets you take on all the properties of your chosen plane as if you were there (the obvious abuse being a 10:1 time ratio plane.. giving your entire party 10 rounds, per round of game time)

"What is you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word, and I'll cast a custom Epic Spell and rearrange the entire night sky!"
    ...most of us have a shrieking little midget inside us that we enjoy bringing out from time to time.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    What doesn't it do? It starts by progressing all three major base Druid features. Then you pick a plane. As the class progresses, it gets to wildshape into almost any type of creature that lives on the chosen plane. Eventually a Planar Shepherd can use any of the abilities of those creatures- spell-likes, supernatural, whatever. Choose a plane that has Efreeti or Noble Djinn for free Wishes. Take one that has Angels or Demons or Devils in it for all sorts of stuff you really shouldn't have (like the Movanic Deva with the spell-like Raise Dead.) I think you may even get to replace your animal companion with a denizen of the chosen plane, but it's been a while since I looked at the class directly so I may be making that up.

They also get the ability to survive the conditions of their chosen plane and to share that protection with the rest of their party. Eventually they can manifest a bubble (I think 20-foot radius) where the chosen plane's traits are in effect. The famous cheese here is to pick a plane that has a different time flow; Dal-Quor in Eberron has a 10-1 difference, IIRC, so it effectively operates as a super Time Stop. Just keep your opponents at least 20 feet away from you, turn on the bubble, and throw ten rounds worth of arrows/spells/summoned monsters at them. Less cheesy is something like Elemental Fire, where you just get a bubble of burniness and maybe more effective fire magic/hampered cold magic.. although if you picked Elemental Fire, you can abuse Wildshaping into an Efreet instead.

17. - Top - End - #17

As regards items:

1) I believe Wilding Clasps were updated in the MIC.

2) Technically, any item you can use in your new form should stay active in your new form according to one paragraph, and another paragraph says that all items are sucked in.

3) If you use that first Paragraph, realize that any item can be used in any form, Magical Bracers, Rings, excetra all fit the form that wears them.

4) If using the second rule, take all your items off before Wildshaping the first time, of course if you ever have to change forms in a hurry it can become a big deal, but do the best you can.

18. - Top - End - #18

Thanks. Any suggestions regarding good wild shape forms and how can I shape into magical beasts? And please don't turn this topic into a topic about brokeness of Planar Shepherd...

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gorbash

I might suggest you try the Druid's handbook - found here: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=465005

It has an extensive list of good wildshape forms, as well as when you can access them. Hope thats of some help.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I see what you mean about Planar Shepherd. I think you need a feat to Wildshape as a Magical Beast. I'll try and find some information on it.
    EDIT: http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-...Wild_Shape,all . It's an Epic feat, so you won't be able to get it for a while.
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-03-11 at 07:17 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash View Post
    Thanks. Any suggestions regarding good wild shape forms and how can I shape into magical beasts? And please don't turn this topic into a topic about brokeness of Planar Shepherd...
    Without master of many forms, one of your best options is Frozen Wildshape, from the Frostburn book, it allows you to change into magical beasts with the cold subtype.

Probably the best one for this, although you have to wait until you get huge wildshape, is a cryohydra. Pretty devastating. If the feat looks doable for you I can probably figure out some other really good ones.

On a side note, has anyone looked closely at the blighter prc from comp. divine? 9th level spells at level 15 seems pretty good, and so does the undead animal thing (no onyx requirement is always nice), but it might be kind of rough when you're just starting over.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

At the weekend I found the Wild ablility for armour (in the PHB). for the cost of +3 enhancement your armours AC bonus applies while you're wildshaped (though the armour still melds with you). So, for around 17,000 gp you can have a + 1 Wild Dragonhide Breastplate, adding 6 to your Bearform (or whatever) AC. Seemed quite nice.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-...Wild_Shape,all

Its usually an epic feat... another nod in the direction of Planar Shepherds, er... usefulness

EDIT; Damn, ninja'd
    Last edited by Baxbart; 2008-03-11 at 07:19 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GutterRunner View Post
    At the weekend I found the Wild ablility for armour (in the PHB). for the cost of +3 enhancement your armours AC bonus applies while you're wildshaped (though the armour still melds with you). So, for around 17,000 gp you can have a + 1 Wild Dragonhide Breastplate, adding 6 to your Bearform (or whatever) AC. Seemed quite nice.
    Here's the better thing:

Technically, you no longer have a maximum dexterity, armor check penalty, or speed penalty when wildshaped. It doesn't talk about you effectively wearing that armor, you simply retain the armor bonus. So pick up that dragonhide fullplate and go nuts.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen_of_Vecna View Post
    2) Technically, any item you can use in your new form should stay active in your new form according to one paragraph, and another paragraph says that all items are sucked in.
    The errata is fairly clear that worn items meld into the new form unlike the normal Alternate Form rules.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB errata
    Wild Shape
    This ability functions like the alternate form special
    ability (see the Monster Manual), except as noted here.
    Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new
    form and becomes nonfunctional. When the druid reverts
    to her true form, any objects previously melded into the
    new form reappear in the same location on her body that
    they previously occupied and are once again functional.
    Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and
    land at the druid's feet.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    The errata is fairly clear that worn items meld into the new form unlike the normal Alternate Form rules.
    So I guess you are stuck taking off all your items and then putting them back on after Wildshaping, since of course Magic Items work on other forms.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    I could go on I suppose, and Spell Compendium adds more good spells if you have access to it.
    That's an understatement. First priority is the bite of the werewhatever line, those are arguably the best buff spells in the game. Phantom stag gives you all of the movement/flying goodness that phantom steed does. The vigor line gives you more healing bang for your spell slot buck. Word of balance works an most of the major outsiders. And let's not forget nature's avatar.

On other aspects of Druidzilla, MM3 gives you some nasty dinosaurs to play with (the Fleshraker is everyone's favorite), while MM2 gives you Legendary Animals (including the broken Legendary Ape). If you can somehow justify getting the feat Rashemi Elemental Summoning, you get air elementals that cast cone of cold. Initiate of Nature will let you rebuke animals. The possibilities are nearly endless.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen_of_Vecna View Post
    So I guess you are stuck taking off all your items and then putting them back on after Wildshaping, since of course Magic Items work on other forms.
    Yup, not cumbersome at all, but it does limit the feasibility of changing forms mid-combat.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I know people are going to hit me for this, but I wanna throw it out there. What do people think about the Shape Shifter alternate class feature? PHB2, I think? Let's you trade your Wild Shapes (many different animals x/day) for Shape Shifting (handful of animals, at-will). (I think you lose your animal companion, too...that's lame...)
    I think its pretty cool, since when playing a druid, I'd always feel a little stupid using a wild-shape when we needed to scout something, or when I needed to fly up and grab something. X/days are important to me, and I like to hoard them.

Also, Planar Bubble: Could you make an extra-dimensional space bubble? Create an entire universe around you?
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I made one, http://rustmonster.net/sheet/?view=598 , but I haven't had a chance to try him yet (I designed him for solo games). I chose that variant because I'd get confused if I tried using a normal Druid (I thought this version sounded good witout being too powerful as well). Yes, you do lose the animal companion. Page 39 of http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules...asses-Base.pdf contains information about them.
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-03-11 at 08:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show