New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [Item]Anklets of Flying

So I was looking through sources to find an item that boosted fly speed. There weren't any. All of them boosted land speeds or granted fly speeds. So I made this item.

Anklets of Swift Flying
    Price: 18,000 gp
    Body slot: feet
    Caster level: 5th
    Aura: faint transmutation
    Activation: -
    Weight: -

These golden ankle bracelets have a feathered texture to them. They grant the wearer a +10 ft insight bonus to their fly speed. This bonus only works with natural fly speeds, and does not grant a bonus to flight garnered through magic, whether from items or spells. In addition, the wearer's maneuverability improves by one step.

Prerequisites: Craft Woundrous Item, fly or haste, the creator must have a natural fly speed.
    Cost to Create: 9,000 gp, 720 xp, 18 days.
    Last edited by dman11235; 2008-03-14 at 09:11 AM.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Join the PrC creation contest!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DonThelonious
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Item]Anklets of Flying

cool. i like flying speed boosts.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Torso slot makes more sense to me... and given that flight speeds already tend to be higher than land-speed, you ought to boost the speed bonus (and the price) or drop the maneuverability increase... because at that price every dragon CR ~10(?) or above worth its wisdom score would have a set, almost without exception.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-03-13 at 01:45 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

4. - Top - End - #4

I like this, it's true that there aren't any spells/items that bost fly speeds, however I kinda do agree that somewhere else on the body would make sense as if you had a natural fly speed from wings or something, they'd be on your torso so maybe a belt or pendant?
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

PM me for Uncrushed Banners

I'm taking a few avatar requests

Come one, show your appreciation with me for The_Chili_God

Sorry about the slow posting, peeps! Exams are starting to hit me...

5. - Top - End - #5

I had my reasons for anklets: I was thinking of Raptorans, speed boosts and such fill the foot slot (robe and ring also work, but they work for anything. Literally.), I sort of have an image of Achilles in my mind. Like his shoes, but not shoes.

@Draco: would it be any worse than how every adventurer and intelligent monster worth his/her salt has Boots of Striding and Springing after level 10 or 12?

I had originally thought it may have been too much but I will consider a price increase. Also, the maneuverability thing is in there to make it more unique and interesting. I mean, if that wasn't there, why does this item have to be restricted to flight? Why not just be a boost to speeds in general (like monks and scouts)?
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

6. - Top - End - #6

Items aren't really my specialty, so, given that the maneuverability boost stays, is it priced right? And is that amount of speed boost right? I think it would be, seems about right. I would like more opinions on the price (nothing personal Draco, I just like to be thorough).

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

7. - Top - End - #7

I upped the cost, because an item was brought to my attention. I had originally put the maneuverability @ 9,000, but an item exists that has it cost 12,000.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Looks good.

Oh, and it wasn't Achilles with the winged sandals. They were the messenger god Hermes's sandals, and the only mortal to wear them was Perseus, slayer of Medusa.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

9. - Top - End - #9

By Achilles I meant Hermes. I know my basic Greek/Roman pantheons, really! Stupid memory giving out again.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dman11235 View Post
    I would like more opinions on the price (nothing personal Draco, I just like to be thorough).
    Absolutely no offense taken... in fact, I am surprised you thought I might take offense.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

11. - Top - End - #11

I just didn't want you to think that I was ignoring you.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.