New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Most Attacks at Level 1

You heard me, whats the most attacks you can get as a ECL 1 Character

Whether its a Rapidshot Two weapon fighting Axe wielder who slashes twice, steps back and hurls his axe in their face, or kobold twf'ing spinning barbarian who cuts, slashes and chops, then drops his weapon and jumps on their face for a bite claw claw combo, and heck, throw in a tail smack to the face feat from races of dragon.

I'll leave it to you guys.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Most Attacks at Level 1

Non-serious answer: Pun-Pun. He does have every ability, and I'm sure he has the ability to make infinite attacks per round. And he is level 1 now.

Serious answer: Probably a Thri-Kreen using the savage progression in CPsi. Five attacks: four claws and a bite.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Join the PrC creation contest!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DonThelonious
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I know you said it non seriously, but no ability gives you the power to make infinite attacks. That would be broken.

4. - Top - End - #4

If I recall correctly Pun-Pun can decide that attacks against him or by him automatically fail or confirm...thats broken.
    Kirby-on-the-Dragoon-avatar by Oregano, thanks bro!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude
    Sheriff of Moddingham: - .... .-. . .- -.. / .-.. --- -.-. -.- . -..
    That's brutal. No mercy from the gunslinger ITP.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Zocelot View Post
    I know you said it non seriously, but no ability gives you the power to make infinite attacks. That would be broken.
    But the ability to give yourself as many hit die as you want, and the ability to imbue yourself with permanent Divine Power, as well as a combination of all the abilities to gain extra attacks that anyone else could possibly have probably produces somewhere on the order or 4 billion attacks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Pun-pun is supposed to be broken.

Hm, so Thri-keen Monk with Two-Weapon Fighting and Flurry of Blows wielding 4 Kamas. How many is that, 6? 7?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #7

Combine that with the fact that Pun-Pun can grant himself any ability: it does not say that the ability needs to exist. Bam. He has the ability to make infinite attacks/round With his infinite strength score. And inability to fail at anything.

And Zocelot: Pun-Pun is the embodiment of broken.

EDIT: Is that level 1? Then it is still 5 attacks: no monk levels.
    Last edited by dman11235; 2008-03-13 at 11:13 AM.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

8. - Top - End - #8

The Thri-Keen Monk would need Multiweapon Fighting, but they have to use the savage progression so at L1 they couldn't be a Monk, so we're on 5. Plain monk can only manage 3- TWF and Flurry.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Variant Kobold Whirling Frenzy Barbarian with Flaws, allowing him to take Improved Unarmed Strike, TWF, and Draconic Tail (Draconomicon).

TWF = 2
    Claws = 2
    Bite = 1
    Tail = 1
    Whirling Frenzy = 1

That's 7 attacks at ECL 1. But the attacks are all at a big penalty, so they're not very useful.

Instead of Barbarian, you could be a Monk, and get the extra attack from Flurry. Though I prefer Barbarian, because you could also take the Complete Champion Lion Totem variant, and get Pounce at level 1 also (giving up Fast Movement).

Remember, you can always use natural attacks as secondary attacks (taking a -5 penalty) IN ADDITION TO your normal attack routine, as long as you're physically capable of doing so (you can't use a claw attack if you're holding something in your hand, thus the need for Improved Unarmed Strike or a Monk level).

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by DrizztFan24 View Post
    If I recall correctly Pun-Pun can decide that attacks against him or by him automatically fail or confirm...thats broken.
    Pun-Pun is broken? Understatement of the year award.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Given what circumstance?

1st level wizard with Precocious Apprentice for the 2nd level spell Whirling Blade (SC).

Whirling Blade allows 1 attack vs each target you designate in a line out to its maxium range. So, 2 targets per 5' incriment out to 60'? for 120 attacks.

Optimal?
    No.
    Likely?
    No.
    Legal?
    Sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

12. - Top - End - #12

Halfling Fighter with Quick Draw, Rapid Shot, and ye olde bag-o-daggers maybe?

On the whole Pun-Pun thing, how the heck does he just get any ability he wants? I understand the familiar and sharing abilities, pumping stats, and whatever... but the way I see it, he could only gain abilities that were attached to other racial forms. He is still a level 1 druid that can pump his stats to nigh infinity. Where is this "designs his own ability to get at will" clause at? I'm just curious. And just another point, does it take time to morph into those other forms? That would really counter his chain of action if it took 3 weeks to make his goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by McMindflayer View Post
    Of course, this still doesn't answer the question... "How does it POOP?"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFurith View Post
    I roll a swim check on the street. Why not, right? Through a series of rolls I rob a bunch of people of 75g. I didn't actually notice their existence but I swam over there and did it anyway because this guy couldn't make sense if he tried.

13. - Top - End - #13

Goblin

I'm pretty sure theres a loop where he turns into some snake god thing that grants it's followers ANY ability.Then he does the thing with his familiar and gives it too himself. I dunno.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KoDT69 View Post
    On the whole Pun-Pun thing, how the heck does he just get any ability he wants? I understand the familiar and sharing abilities, pumping stats, and whatever... but the way I see it, he could only gain abilities that were attached to other racial forms. He is still a level 1 druid that can pump his stats to nigh infinity. Where is this "designs his own ability to get at will" clause at? I'm just curious. And just another point, does it take time to morph into those other forms? That would really counter his chain of action if it took 3 weeks to make his goal.
    Read the Sarrukh's Manipulate Form ability. It says you can grant another reptilian creature an ability. It puts no limits on what kind of ability this should be. Not "any racial ability." Any ability.

And the latest version of Pun-Pun -- the one that can get going at Level 1 -- isn't a Druid. He's a Fallen Paladin.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Read the Sarrukh's Manipulate Form ability. It says you can grant another reptilian creature an ability. It puts no limits on what kind of ability this should be. Not "any racial ability." Any ability.

And the latest version of Pun-Pun -- the one that can get going at Level 1 -- isn't a Druid. He's a Fallen Paladin.
    Can you link me to that build?
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

16. - Top - End - #16

Wizard, not paladin. That's how I last saw it. If you use the druid method, you need to be level 14. Wizard gets you the Pazuzu wishes @1. And the necessary familiar. Can't remember how they got infinite stats (as opposed to the arbitrarily high ones originally), possibly just using the drowning trick.

EDIT: Heh, it was at the top: Pun-Pun.

You will have to dig through it to find the level 1 fix and infinite stats thing, but that's the base.
    Last edited by dman11235; 2008-03-13 at 12:41 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Thri-kreen doesn't qualify, since it has racial HD and LA. (Unless there's a monster class for it that gives it four working limbs at first level.)

I can't see a way to get more than three at ECL 1 (TWF and a natural attack, like a bite - or a claw / claw / bite set of natural attacks); PC races tend to pay through the nose for multiple limbs.

I guess TWFing throwing axes with Rapid Shot (I guess you could quibble over whether a thrown melee weapon is a "ranged weapon" though) and Quick Draw would also get the three.

Also, Pun-Pun is still the worst meme ever to hit the D&D community.

18. - Top - End - #18

Savage progression in CPsi, like I said. Also there have been other ways posted.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Two-Weapon fighting, Darfellan (Stormwrack) Monk should give you four without having to worry about the LA issue.
    My Characters:
    Henning Baer: Forest of Friedland

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Pun-pun is a lie. If your DM lets you pull a fast one on Pazuzu, a demon lord, then you can make him. Otherwise, I haven't seen a way to do it before shapechange. Druids don't get the supernatural abilities of wild shaped creatures they turn in to, so don't qualify as a shortcut.
    Why is it the best campaign ideas happen when you're sitting down to someone elses game?

Pun-Pun is an example of the worst case scenario. Never, ever, push your DM that far.

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

A Variant Kobold monk who takes the feats aberrant blood, another aberrant one, and the one that gives you two tentacles (deepspawn?). Hmm, dual wields kamas, which you drop and then make claw attacks (is that legal?).

1 unnarmed strike
    2 kama
    2 claw
    2 tentacle
    1 bite.

Hmm, if you can do the kama drop, that's eight right there. If not, still 6 at ECL 1.
    Billy was a chemist's son,
    Now Billy is no more.
    What Billy thought was H2O
    Was H2SO4

22. - Top - End - #22

Can't do kama drop. However, dual-wield Unarmed Strikes- it's legal even with your hands full of claw attacks, so you can do 8 there.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Idea Man View Post
    Pun-pun is a lie. If your DM lets you pull a fast one on Pazuzu, a demon lord, then you can make him. Otherwise, I haven't seen a way to do it before shapechange. Druids don't get the supernatural abilities of wild shaped creatures they turn in to, so don't qualify as a shortcut.
    You're using the wish to get a candle of invocation. Also: the divine minion template+MoMF+Assume Supernatural Ability (SS) gets it @5.

And you cannot dual-wield unarmed strikes. You only have one of them, no matter how many appendages you have. It's a long debate over on the wizards site at least, I haven't seen it show up here yet (I joined two days ago). Each side uses the following arguments:
    You have two fists/You only have one unarmed strike
    You have an off-hand unarmed strike/it was an example of TWFing with a kama (FAQ)
    and it just goes on from there.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Oh come on....are my posts invisible? 120 attacks at level 1 and not even a word. All are considered melee attacks, so its no different than running up and smacking everyone, except not actually running up to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

25. - Top - End - #25

Not invisible, just not necessary to elaborate on. And it's not really attacks. It's a spell. And in order to get 120 attacks, you need the right number of enemies, and they need to be in a line.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dman11235 View Post
    And you cannot dual-wield unarmed strikes. You only have one of them, no matter how many appendages you have. It's a long debate over on the wizards site at least, I haven't seen it show up here yet (I joined two days ago). Each side uses the following arguments:
    You have two fists/You only have one unarmed strike
    You have an off-hand unarmed strike/it was an example of TWFing with a kama (FAQ)
    It's shown up here repeatedly over the years. The obvious and logical conclusion was that yes, you can TWF unarmed, since it's just a mechanic that exchanges attack bonus for number of attacks.

(A bit tangentially, Conan d20 explicitly supports all-unarmed TWF, and even has a feat for it. Kudos to them for not leaving that one open.)

And I don't understand why anyone would think you get more attacks by dropping your weapons. That's not how the rules work. You've already made your attacks, you don't suddenly get new ones by ditching your weapons. And you can't TWF with two weapons and make an unarmed attack...

27. - Top - End - #27

That last part is not entirely true. If you have multi-weapon fighting, you can attack with your held weapons and then attack with kicks or head-butts or pelvic thrusts as your unarmed strikes. But you need three or more arms to qualify for MWF. The first half of that paragraph is true though.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dman11235 View Post
    That last part is not entirely true. If you have multi-weapon fighting, you can attack with your held weapons and then attack with kicks or head-butts or pelvic thrusts as your unarmed strikes. But you need three or more arms to qualify for MWF. The first half of that paragraph is true though.
    Oh, yes - better to say that the number of attacks is limited to # of arms + # of other natural attacks. I was referring to an attacker with two arms.

29. - Top - End - #29

What about TWF unarmed strikes and natural secondary attacks? That needs empty hands if they're claws.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Wrong, actually. Read the Warshaper.