New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Does Still spell work like this?

Ok, so Still Spell can help you disguise the fact that you're casting. Well, you're still pulling open your spell-component pouch and getting out that abt guano. Kinda ruins the whole stealthy casting thing huh? So, the question is, does Still Spell let you cast spells without moving at all? Your bat guano will just poof and disappear without you needing to hold it? this is assuming you have a spell component pouch strapped to you of course.

If it doesn't work like this, would it be reasonable to houserule that it does work like that? That way, if your hands and shacked to the wall, you can still cast Knock?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Does Still spell work like this?

Nah, I'd say you still have to hold the material components unless you have the Eschew Material feat.
    Keith Baker, on the age of Erandis d'Vol:
    Spoiler
    Show

... The miniature of her certainly makes her look older, but personally I like young Erandis both on the basis that the purge of the line started before she could grow into her full powers, and also because it lets her and Jaela have a vicious catfight sometime.

Maybe I'm playing a wrong game.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

By RAW, you still need to "manipulate the material components" even on a stilled spell, although now you would be able to do so while grappled or tied up.

Weird, no?

In actual gameplay - does anyone actually use material components, like, ever?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Not really, but as a DM, I plan on using Ranged Disarm (from CW right?) against the wizard in my party next fight. It'll be fun to sunder/disarm the component pouch.

To be honest, Eschew Materials suck too much for anyone to invest a feat into it.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2008-03-18 at 05:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Not really, but as a DM, I plan on using Ranged Disarm (from CW right?) against the wizard in my party next fight. It'll be fun to sunder/disarm the component pouch.

To be honest, Eschew Materials suck too much for anyone to invest a feat into it.
    Any wizard who only has one material component pouch deserves that. It's not like it's expensive. Why not have, say, ten? And have the rogue take 20 on Sleight of Hand to hide them in your robes?

6. - Top - End - #6

To my knowledge, one could cast still spells without arcane spell faliure in heavy armor and such. Also, I think that there are a handfull of spells that don't require material components or focusses.

Not entirely sure though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reel On, Love View Post
    Any wizard who only has one material component pouch deserves that. It's not like it's expensive. Why not have, say, ten? And have the rogue take 20 on Sleight of Hand to hide them in your robes?
    This party...doesn't believe in rogues or other sneaky types. considers them useless. They do have 3 casters though. Soon enough I'll be throwing traps of Dispel against them. And strangely enough. None of them have a backup pouch.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless they're almost to epic levels and want to get the Ignore Material Components feat. Then I feel it's worth it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

The initial assumption about stealthy casting seems inaccurate. The feat mostly exists so you can cast spells with no material component while tied up or otherwise immolized, or ignore Arcane Spell Failure while casting, as I understand? (A spell with no components is a great way to escape the best imprisonment.)

How it helps stealthy casting is a DM call / houserule, since the core rules don't have rules for that that I'm aware. (Dark Sun 3.5 at athas.org had special rules for that, I think.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

you can't even cast Freedom of Movement while immobilized since it was material component and a focus and all that stuff. I think Knock only has a verbal component though...can anyone check that for me?

11. - Top - End - #11

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley_ View Post
    To my knowledge, one could cast still spells without arcane spell faliure in heavy armor and such. Also, I think that there are a handfull of spells that don't require material components or focusses.

Not entirely sure though.
    Hi

True Strike comes to mind.

Cheers
    Paul H

12. - Top - End - #12

True Strike has a verbal component and a focus, but not a somatic component...so you don't actually need to use Still Spell on it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Fwee. Just checked. Knock is only Verbal. You can open your own shackles. No need for Still Spell or Eschew Materials. Although they're still nice to have.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Fwee. Just checked. Knock is only Verbal. You can open your own shackles. No need for Still Spell or Eschew Materials. Although they're still nice to have.
    Isn't it odd that the spell is called knock, but you remain motienless?
    Like, you don't even knock on it.
    Maybe it's the verbal componant. "knock knock!"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Well, depending on the situation, you'd want to Silent Spell the Knock as well. "Twas a mechanical defect, I swear!"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Dimension Door. It's only verbal, and therefore better IMHO than FoM. Perfect defense against anything, especially with a couple Celerities prepared.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

It's too bad not everyone gets DD however :( Tis a good spell.

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

wish is verbal only. managed to suprise, dispell the mages FoM and got him grappled, he wished away, came back, with some nasties.....tough fight.