New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Adepts for PC use (3.5).

A while back, I thought it would be interresting to modify the NPC Adept class for PC use. Please could you guys tell me what you think of it? (The idea was first suggested in this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Adept ). I would like to thank CASTLEMIKE and RagnaroksChosen, as well as everyone else who helped me with the original version.

ADEPT (PC modification).

Alignment: Any
    Starting Age: Advanced (or just do what I do and always start at the youngest age.)
    Adept (PC modification) Hit Die: d6
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Ranger Companion at level 4 or gain 1 Wizard or Cleric Domain.

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Wizard Familiar which grants Eschew Materials.

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Sudden-Metamagic feat.

6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Add Brew Potion as a free feat.

7th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    8th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |

9th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Add all of the spells from either the Animal or Plant Domains to the Adept's spell list.

10th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Sudden-Metamagic feat.

11th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |

12th|
    +6/1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |

13th|
    +6/1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |

14th|
    +7/2
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |

15th|
    +7/2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |Sudden-Metamagic feat.

16th|
    +8/3
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Gain Timeless Body or Sustainance.

17th|
    +8/3
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |

18th|
    +9/4
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |

19th|
    +9/4
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |

20th|
    +10/5
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |Sudden-Metamagic feat.[/table]

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
    Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis).

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Adepts are skilled with all simple weapons. Adepts are not proficient with any type of armor nor with shields.
    Class features:

Spells: Casts Wis-based spells from the enhanced Adept spell list. Any spells on the list can be memorized (Adepts are like Druids in the sense that they get their spells directly from nature). (see below).

Companion option: See Druid Companion entry.
    Domain option: pick any Wizard Domain ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/cl...ntDomainWizard ), or any Cleric Domain ( http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD...calDomains.pdf ). Domain spells which aren't on the normal Adept spell list can't be prepared outside of Domain slots. Bonuses from Cleric Domains aren't gained (Adepts only get the extra spell slots).

Familiar: works like a Wizard's Familiar while granting Eschew Materials as long as the Familiar is within 5 feet of the Adept.

Sudden Metamagic: add any Sudden Metamagic feat which you qualify for as long as your familiar is within 30 feet (each SMM will allow you to apply a Metamagic feat to any 1 of your spells everyday with no spell level increase).

Brew Potion: works as the normal feat.

Domain Access: spells are prepared normally (use the Cleric Domains for this class feature).

Timeless Body: As Druid ability.
    Sustainance: The Adept no longer needs to eat or drink and they only need 2 hours of sleep/day rather then 8.

Spell list; all spells need Wis equal to 10+spell level to cast. Wis is also used for bonus spells and the spell's Save DC.
    Spoiler
    Show
    0—create water, cure minor wounds, detect magic, ghost sound, guidance, light, mending, prestigitation purify food and drink, read magic, touch of fatigue.

1st—bless, burning hands, cause fear, command, comprehend languages, cure light wounds, detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law, endure elements, obscuring mist, protection from chaos, protection from evil, protection from good, protection from law, sleep, summon nature's ally 1.

2nd—aid, animal trance, bear’s endurance, bull’s strength, cat’s grace, cure moderate wounds, darkness, delay poison, invisibility, mirror image, resist energy, rope trick, scorching ray, see invisibility, summon nature's ally 2, web.

3rd—animate dead, bestow curse, contagion, continual flame, cure serious wounds, daylight, deeper darkness, lightning bolt, neutralize poison, remove curse, remove disease, remove blindness/deafness, slow, summon nature's ally 3, tongues, Magic Circle Against X.

4th—cure critical wounds, minor creation, polymorph, rainbow pattern, restoration, shout, stoneskin, summon nature's ally 4, wall of fire, scrying, freedom of movement.

5th—baleful polymorph, break enchantment, commune, major creation, mass cure light wounds, raise dead, summon nature's ally 5, true seeing, wall of stone, transmute rock to mud, transmute stone to mud.

6th- Heal, Blade Barrier, Greater Dispell, Banishment, Undeath to Death, Chain Lightning, Guards and Wards, Cure Moderate Wounds Mass, Create Undead, Summon Nature's Ally 6, mass bears endurance, mass bull’s strength, mass cat’s grace, move earth.

7th- Mass Cure Serious Wounds, Spell Turning, Prismatic Spray, Repulsion, Control Weather, Resurrection, Regenerate, Greater Restoration, Summon Nature's Ally 7, firestorm, sun beam.

8th- Cure Crtical Wounds Mass, Whirlwind, Word of Recall, Greater Spell Immunity, Prismatic Wall, Sunburst, Greater Shout, Create Greater Undead, Polymorph Any Object, Summon Nature's Ally 8.

9th- Mass Heal, True Ressurrection, Shapechange, Elemental Swarm, Gate, Meteor Swarm, Prismatic Sphere, Miracle, Summon Nature's Ally 9.

Check the Generalist Wizard's spells/day table to see how many spells Adepts can cast/day; http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Wizard (Familiar information can also be found here). Spell recovery requires 8 hours of sleep and 1 hour of uninterrupted meditation. A Holy Symbol is also needed to cast spells.

If anyone can think of any other class features, please could you let me know?
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2009-02-07 at 04:15 AM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Adepts for PC use (3.5).

Looks decent enough to me, a good compromise between wizard and cleric. The only thing I really have to say is that I don't see a spells known/per day. The class seems to have all the way up to 9th level spells, but the adept itself only gets a max of 5th level spells.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I mentioned the class using the same spell progression as a Generalist Wizard (I just posted a link to the D&D Wiki to save space).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    I mentioned the class using the same spell progression as a Generalist Wizard (I just posted a link to the D&D Wiki to save space).
    Oh I see, must have missed that.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you think the Druid Companion is comparale to the Domain in regards to how useful it is?

EDIT: I was talking with Krimm, and he thinks 1/2 or 3/4 Druid Companion progression would be better. What does everyone else think?
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-11-13 at 03:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

good idea. =)

you could use the ranger's animal companion. but honestly, i don't like the idea that one class grants an animal companion and a familiar. i'd remove it from the list of class features.

i'm not sure if the recovery of spells is that of a wizard or a cleric. anyway, i'd use the cleric's.

and btw, it's "eschew materials". ;-)
    Last edited by zugschef; 2008-11-13 at 06:59 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry about being unclear about that (they can memorize any spell on their list). Why don't you like the idea of it having a Familiar and a Companion, and would the Ranger Companion be too underpowered? I've heard a lot of people say that they are pretty much deadweight.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    Sorry about being unclear about that (they can memorize any spell on their list). Why don't you like the idea of it having a Familiar and a Companion, and would the Ranger Companion be too underpowered? I've heard a lot of people say that they are pretty much deadweight.
    i don't like the fluff and the npc adept has no druid features. you could give the class the improved familiar feat as a bonus feat though.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

The Companion idea came about in the original thread while we were talking about steriotypical "nature wizard"-type people, which is why I wanted to keep the Companion. I'll look up Improved Familar later, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

The point is somewhat that having two animals around is somewhat of a very specific niche of classes. Ie, the beast master can have more then 1 animal companion and that’s a big part of its class features. Having a item familiar might a interesting idea? Its from UA so it should be in the SRD right?
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I initially had a version with a staff with the Companion version getting a combination Familiar/Companion. If your're interrested, the beta version of this class is on page 3 of the first thread.
    Spoiler
    Show