New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Mark of Justice and Vow of Nonviolence

Vow of Nonviolence states:

. You may not deal real damage or ability damage to such foes through spells or weapons, though you may deal nonlethal damage. You may not target them with death effects, disintegrate, pain effects, or other spells that have the immediate potential to cause death, suffering, or great harm.
    My question is: does casting Mark of Justice on someone count as causing suffering or great harm? If it does, that kinda messes up one of the best ways Clerics and Paladins have of neutralising captured enemies through nonviolent means...
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Re: Mark of Justice and Vow of Nonviolence

Quote Originally Posted by MorkaisChosen View Post
    Vow of Nonviolence states:

My question is: does casting Mark of Justice on someone count as causing suffering or great harm? If it does, that kinda messes up one of the best ways Clerics and Paladins have of neutralising captured enemies through nonviolent means...
    Mark of Justice just sticks a "bestow curse" on the subject. It inflicts none of those things.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    Mark of Justice just sticks a "bestow curse" on the subject. It inflicts none of those things.
    Even if it did, the "Immediate Potential" clause on the Vow clears you - as Mark of Justice does nothing if they follow orders.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eeeexcellent...

Thinking about it, it just puts a bit of enforcement on the "vow of being nice" you can make captured enemies take- the one that, if they break it, allows your allies to murder them without you losing the Vow.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.