New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Item of +ride skill?

A party member dwarf paladin of mine just realized how useful a mount could be (after fighting a mounted blackguard.) We're about to hit level 15. I've told him he should stick all his skill points for 15 (a paltry 3) into ride, and his feat into mounted combat. At 15, his paladin mount will be maxed out for effectiveness...but he'll still suck at it with 3 ranks and a dex of 10. Any items which could help here?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Item of +ride skill?

There are the riding boots which give you a plus 5 to ride checks in combat, and also give you the ride by attack feat, and the final use will not be much use to your paladin but it with spirited charge it increases the crit multiplier of a lance from x3 to x4, and the battle bridle which give another +5 and grants mounted combat or ride by attack if you already have mounted combat,

but to be really effective on a mount your need spirited charge then when the paladin charges, power attacks for full and smites he can do a minimum of 93 damage with a lance (not including stregth), 134 if he casts rhino rush before he charges.
    Last edited by Rumda; 2008-03-23 at 10:20 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

There's always a Masterwork Tool (+2)

Or a Saddle (+2, may stack with the tool. Check with your DM)

I can't find it at the moment, but there are rules somewhere for creating a magic item with +X to a skill.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

You can get masterwork items that give a +2 to a particular skill. Something like Masterwork Riding Gear or some other generic name would give you a +2 on your ride checks when using it.
    Dub Club in the Playground
    I need a new signature.

5. - Top - End - #5

You could make an item using the item creation rules.

Saddle of Riding
    This finely crafted saddle seems to give the rider a better sense of balance
    When used it gives a +5 competence bonus to Ride checks

Faint Transmutation CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, cat's grace; Price 2,500 gp; Weight 30 lb.

Or if it fits better:

Paste of Riding
    When applied to the seat of a saddle it gives a +5 competence bonus to Ride checks
    Faint Transmutation CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, cat's grace; Price: 300 gp

Yes, that's a tube of glue
    The fastest animal alive today is a small dinosaur, Falco Peregrino.
    It prays mainly on other dinosaurs, which it strikes and kills in midair with its claws.
    This is a good world

Calcifer the Fire Demon by Djinn_In_Tonic

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I would say a saddle of riding would count as a belt and back space magic item for a horse. You might try spurs.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

On a similar note, what should be the requirements to craft an item (possible Third Eye or Goggles) of +15 spellcraft? I don't know what spell would be needed. Fox's Cunning? Arcane Sight?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

According to the SRD, you can get an item with a +X competence bonus to a skill for "bonus squared x 100."

So, you can get a +20 to ride for something like 40,000gp. I think someone said at some point that +30 is the highest you can get non-epic, so that's 90,000gp.

(Assuming my math and understanding of item creation rules are both correct, anyway.)

EDIT: Is there a "Pants" item slot? Because I guess that could work. If not, maybe feet or something (spurs of amazing riding) or possibly slotless (reins of riding) though that costs more.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-03-23 at 11:57 AM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    EDIT: Is there a "Pants" item slot? Because I guess that could work.
    You're on the Internet, now, boy. We don't wear pants here.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    LOL!

However, I'd say reins or a bridle would take the "face" slot on your mount (usually called goggles, but masks from FR count, so I'd say a bridle would fit there).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Siged.
    Thank you for contributing.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

I believe there's a conventional "War Saddle" that not only gives a bonus of higher than +2 to ride skill, but also additional benefits. There's magic items as well that could be used to improve it beyond the traditional. In general, check out all your book's equipments sections for any mention of riding gear, and the MIC especially. Check the Arms & Equipment guide, they should have something.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    EDIT: Is there a "Pants" item slot? Because I guess that could work. If not, maybe feet or something (spurs of amazing riding) or possibly slotless (reins of riding) though that costs more.
    There is no pants slot. It's head, eyes, neck, armor/robe, cloak, hands, wrists, shirt/vest, belt, shoes, and two rings.

We don't?
    *Looks down*
    Oh, we don't.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-03-23 at 02:55 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I swear there's a magic saddle in A&EG that gives +10 to ride, but I've never been able to find it after the first time. That being said, aren't +10 bonus items 10,000gp? Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sure there's set cost for a +10 bonus. The saddle would, of course, take up a slot on the horse. I think if you're just trying to boost your ride check, that's easiest, cheapest(at level 15) way to do so, and you'll be able to do everything except fast mount/dismount on a roll of two or greater, and won't have to roll for all the things you normally do with your horse.

Frosty, I would say Arcane Sight, although I think the MIC has a similar item that grants bonuses to spellcraft, and I can check it and get back to the computer in a few minutes.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    There's always a Masterwork Tool (+2)

Or a Saddle (+2, may stack with the tool. Check with your DM)
    No, it definitely doesn't. They're both circumstance bonuses, and circumstance bonuses don't stack. I suspect you'll have a hard time convincing your DM to houserule otherwise, but per RAW, it's very clear they don't.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    No, it definitely doesn't. They're both circumstance bonuses, and circumstance bonuses don't stack. I suspect you'll have a hard time convincing your DM to houserule otherwise, but per RAW, it's very clear they don't.
    Incorrect, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A circumstance bonus (or penalty) arises from specific conditional factors impacting the success of the task at hand. Circumstance bonuses stack with all other bonuses, including other circumstance bonuses, unless they arise from essentially the same source.
    As long as your "Masterwork Tool" isn't a saddle, then you'd have a hard time convincing your DM that they don't stack. Call it a masterwork set of spurs, a masterwork riding crop, or anything like that and you're fine.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-03-23 at 03:38 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

17. - Top - End - #17

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Another option might be to see if your DM will allow him to retrain. Stop by some great rider/trainer and have him give the paladin some pointers for an appropriate fee. Then, of course, pull skill points from elsewhere to give Ride a boost.

It might be the cheapest cashwise, and the most permanent, but it will cost him from his other skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show