New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Artificer Assitance

Hi guys,

I'm looking to play an artificer in eberron soon. Starts at level 1. I was thinking warforged for the race mostly due to his HP stabilization and ease of death at level 1, but I figure the charisma penalty is going to suck. Interested in levels 1-3 only, how good is artificer in these levels? I also think this might be a low wealth campaign... any thoughts on that? I really want to play a warforged, and if this doesn't pan out I'll probably default to warforged barbarian.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Artificer Assitance

If it is only 1-3, I would suggest barbarian. An artifiicer is still good, though. Take skill focus, UMD. Create lots of scrolls, and invest in a light crossbow. Use one of your infusions to put bane on your crossbow. With this, you get +2 to attack and 2d6 extra damage on any one type of enemy you choose.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

When playing an artificer, charisma isn't the important thing - intelligence is, despite what the handbook says. Warforged have the advantage of being able to craft at night, in lieu of sleep.

And yes, they haven't come into their own by that point, but they are still very nifty.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate Scribe View Post
    When playing an artificer, charisma isn't the important thing - intelligence is, despite what the handbook says. Warforged have the advantage of being able to craft at night, in lieu of sleep.
    But... activating scrolls and writing them requires UMD, does it not? At first level that's like... 4 ranks in UMD +2 for artificer +3 for skill foccus is +10 on the check + charisma modifier. If I take the +2 spellcraft/+2 UMD feat too that's a +12 + Cha modifier (we'll say +1) and so +13, which would be something like a 50-50 chance of succes on a DC 23 scroll.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Uhh, pseudo unrelated note but anyone know if the artificer is found anywhere online in whole? like with a complete level-by-level break down of bonuses?
    Kirby-on-the-Dragoon-avatar by Oregano, thanks bro!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude
    Sheriff of Moddingham: - .... .-. . .- -.. / .-.. --- -.-. -.- . -..
    That's brutal. No mercy from the gunslinger ITP.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Post Re: Artificer Assitance

Sikyon: you'd probably benefit from reading The Unofficial Artificer's Playing Guide.
    Last edited by Venerable; 2008-03-23 at 11:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by DrizztFan24 View Post
    Uhh, pseudo unrelated note but anyone know if the artificer is found anywhere online in whole? like with a complete level-by-level break down of bonuses?
    I don't believe it's avaliable online legally.

Sikyon: you'd probably benefit from reading The Unofficial Artificer's Playing Guide.
    Sweet, thanks. also, your link is out of date, http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=813665
    This is the more current version.