New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Shadow animal companion?

Did anyone else notice that in Faiths of Eberron pg 98, there's an NPC that has a Shadow Dire Bear as her animal companion? What gets more interesting is that the NPC's only 12th-level druid, and Dire Bear animal companion comes at 13th.

Now, would you allow your character to acquire a templated animal companion? For those who are not very familiar with the template, Shadow template is from Lords of Madness, LA +2 (CR +1), that when applied to an animal its type changes to Magical Beast.

What do you think about that?

p.s. Oh yeah, the druid also has Shadow template.
    Keith Baker, on the age of Erandis d'Vol:
    Spoiler
    Show

... The miniature of her certainly makes her look older, but personally I like young Erandis both on the basis that the purge of the line started before she could grow into her full powers, and also because it lets her and Jaela have a vicious catfight sometime.

Maybe I'm playing a wrong game.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Shadow animal companion?

Since when have NPCs had to follow the same rules as the PCs? As long as the CR is adjusted properly, there's nothing wrong with it.

That said, I don't think there's any way RAW to get that kind of thing as a PC.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

It could be a reasonable houserule that any template applied to the druid also applies to her companion...but it's not RAW.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it some combination of Planar Shepard+ Natural Bond? Because that's the only way I can think that the above situation might work.

5. - Top - End - #5

Hmm, so it's not quite RAW, eh? That explains a few things I guess. Thanks a lot
    Spoiler
    Show

... The miniature of her certainly makes her look older, but personally I like young Erandis both on the basis that the purge of the line started before she could grow into her full powers, and also because it lets her and Jaela have a vicious catfight sometime.

6. - Top - End - #6

This is in Faiths of Ebberon? The same book with Planar Shepard? Doesn't that give you an ability to take a Companion of the Plane you Shepard?

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen_of_Vecna View Post
    This is in Faiths of Ebberon? The same book with Planar Shepard? Doesn't that give you an ability to take a Companion of the Plane you Shepard?
    Fortunately not.
    Spoiler
    Show