New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Simulate this in Dnd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSt_6...eature=related

Is there any way to simulate this in Dnd if we used say a whip dagger so you can actually kill things? Any feats? PrCs? Maneuvers?
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simulate this in Dnd.

A whip dagger or a meteor hammer and Perform (Weapon Drill). There's not much in that video that would suggest anything other than showing off with the weapon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Looks like a Rope Dart to me, and those already exist in D&D (but I lack the book). Or you could just call it a Spiked Chain that deals Bludgeoning.

4. - Top - End - #4

I mean with a whip-dagger you would generally fight like it's a whip with snapping and cracking it. I would love to play someone who did that as a fighting style and killed people with similar movements. If that guy had a rope with a knife at the end, he would be more or less unstoppable in melee.

Rebel Leader

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

A whip dagger or a meteor hammer and Perform (Weapon Drill).
    I would have called it Perform (kata), but either way, what we're seeing there is primarily for show. I wouldn't want to get on that fellow's bad side in a dark alley, but there's a difference between looking awesome without an opponent and being awesome with an opponent.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I would have called it Perform (kata), but either way, what we're seeing there is primarily for show. I wouldn't want to get on that fellow's bad side in a dark alley, but there's a difference between looking awesome without an opponent and being awesome with an opponent.
    Well, yeah, but is there a way to simulate the style and make it into a killing machine?

Rebel Leader

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I mean with a whip-dagger you would generally fight like it's a whip with snapping and cracking it. I would love to play someone who did that as a fighting style and killed people with similar movements. If that guy had a rope with a knife at the end, he would be more or less unstoppable in melee.
    That all comes down to flavourtext. I mean, there's all sorts of elaborate things you can do with a sword, but in D&D they almost all come down to making an attack roll vs his AC. Still, if you want to picture/describe your character doing all sorts of awesomeness, more power to you.

But yeah, stat-wise go with a Rope Dart or Spiked Chain and call it a day.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I would have called it Perform (kata), but either way, what we're seeing there is primarily for show.
    He probably went with Perform (weapon drill) because there's actually rules for what that entails (you get bonuses for every feat you have for that weapon, etc.)
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

It’s a rope dart, they have stats for it in dragon magazine 319.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Other than all the acrobatics, it looks like a set of moves designed to keep opponents at bay. Which works nicely, since Rope Dart or Meteor Hammer work stupidly well for lockdown builds.

This one is the classic lockdown build, it would turn your Meteor Hammer into 30' radius deadzone. Unfortunately, it doesn't mature until level 16.
    http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=883706

This one probably fits the concept a little better, and is playable at level 8. However, I don't know the details too well and thus am not as sure it works with Rope Dart.
    http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=953434

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

I noticed some TWF too... so: OA's Chain would do the trick, me thinks.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSt_6...eature=related

Is there any way to simulate this in Dnd if we used say a whip dagger so you can actually kill things?
    There's no way to simulate it in real life so that it kills things. Pretty much anyone armed or armored could kill that dude. Hey, give me fullplate armor and I'll do it!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    There's no way to simulate it in real life so that it kills things. Pretty much anyone armed or armored could kill that dude. Hey, give me fullplate armor and I'll do it!
    Well yes and no.

He's using a flexible chain weapon. These types of weapons can have superb speed and reach at the same time. But what's important is that he was spinning the chain around in air. He wasn't hitting a target 100 times while keeping up his continuous spinning pattern.

Indeed, unless you slice your opponent with the very tip of your weapon, dealing a paper cut-deep wound with every "hit", you cannot keep it that fluid. Something happens if too much of the . A little thing called "Recoil."

Recoil will at best, interfere and slow down the whirling of the chain, but with proper training, a skilled warrior whose actually using the chain whip for combat will simply 1) focus more on sending the momentum away from him during the moments, 2) End the spinning at the moment he hits the opponent, letting the opponent soak up all that kinetic energy, and then reseting the whirling pattern. 3) Grab or trip his opponent with the lenth of chain, 4) throw the heavy end (if he's using say, a Ball and Chain) at the opponent, then pull the weapon back to him by the chain.

Flexible weapons of all kinds can be very dangerous. *If* they are wielded by someone who knows how to use them as weapons.

Its important to know that what that guy was doing in the video has no combat application (Well, he can parry blows while spinning that thing, but then remember, recoil). What he was doing was a warm-up for serious fighting with the chain whip at best, and just a show at worse.

So yes, you can "simulate that in D&D." Make a perform check with Dex instead of Charisma. And no, not just "anyone armed or armored" can kill that dude. Assuming he really is a martial artist and not a rhythmic gymnast.
    Thank you, Devil's Advocate for sending me this link so I can finally erase my old signature!

https://forums.giantitp.com/profile....=editsignature

14. - Top - End - #14

Howabout a decent chain fighter then. It is clear that the guy in the video was doing a show but how about this? it shows a meteor hammer as an actual weapon. Would this just be the meteor hammer from the dragon mag and an exotic weapon master?

Rebel Leader