New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Semi-n00b has a question about unarmed smiting

I've only played DnD a handful of times, and although I myself played a Paladin, none of us ever found ourselves making unarmed attacks. I don't think we ever really got far enough along for a reasonable senario where we're disarmed could come up

So, can somebody remind me, how much damage does an unarmed strike do? Specifically, how much does it do if the character is a whatever-O-Chul's-level-is Paladin doing a smite evil? Also, does it have any chance in hell of doing anything to a Lich? I honestly haven't a clue and I don't have a book to look it up in.
    Last edited by Dave Rapp; 2008-03-25 at 12:24 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Semi-n00b has a question about unarmed smiting

Wrong forum, check the OotS forum a few blocks down. Specifically, the Class and Level Geekery thread.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

An unarmed smite evil is viable, so long as you can hit with the unarmed strike. Against a lich, it wont do much, but it will do damage, where a regular unarmed strike wouldn't (unless you are also a monk).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

My question is, does O-chul's unarmed smite provoke an attack of opportunity? Is he considered "armed" for that attack?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Wrong forum, check the OotS forum a few blocks down. Specifically, the Class and Level Geekery thread.
    I meant it as a general DnD question, using the strip as an example... surely the Gaming forum is the place for DnD questions?

Unless it does 1d"wrongforum" damage...?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    My question is, does O-chul's unarmed smite provoke an attack of opportunity? Is he considered "armed" for that attack?
    I think he would provoke an attack of opportunity. I have seen no text that would say otherwise.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Miko, on the other hand, was (IIRC) said to have had monk levels, so she'd actually be fairly well off unarmed.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

You'd look up the PHB and the MM, or the SRD. Nothing complicated to the situation really.

It'd provoke AoOs like any unarmed attack (i.e. depends whether your unarmed attacks provoke AoOs), and smite evil would work precisely as written (+Cha to attack, +1*level damage). A lich has DR 15/bludgeoning and magic, so you'd have to deal 16 or more damage to get any through (unless you are, indeed, a monk). A smite attack doesn't make your unarmed strike magic, just gives a bonus to attack roll and damage. A monk-paladin would indeed fare better.

Also, yes, you wouldn't run into situations where you are disarmed, because those are actually incredibly unfair in D&D. Characters - melee characters especially - without their equipment are useless against anything level-appropriate, much less anything challenging. It's the whole "your character is defined by your equipment" thing. Several d20 games intentionally get away from that, fortunately.

"Well, my 20th-level fighter has an attack bonus of +21/+16/+11/+6 and deals 1d4+5 lethal damage now. I can Power Attack though. AC 15. Oh, you say I can barely manage some CR 10 enemies? Great news!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    I think he would provoke an attack of opportunity. I have seen no text that would say otherwise.
    He could have the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, though, which would prevent an attack of opportunity. I haven't looked at the Class and Level Geekery thread, though, so I don't know if O'Chul has extra feat slots for it.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems pretty likely he took Improved Toughness, Toughness, Toughness, Toughness, Toughness, and maybe Toughness.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    It seems pretty likely he took Improved Toughness, Toughness, Toughness, Toughness, Toughness, and maybe Toughness.
    And Dwarf Thoughness, whatever Thougness, and Dragon Toughness.
    And will take Epic Thoughness if he reaches higher levels.
    I'd say he also have Greater Fortitude, and a very high Con score.

But back to the OP, I'm with Tsotha-lanti. Smite Evil doesn't make your attack become magical, so your attack is normal, only with attack/damage bonuses.
    You can still attack anyone that is not armed and has not improved unarmed strike, nor natural strikes, without provoking attacks of opportunity.

Unarmed damage is listed in the weapons list in the equipment chapter in the Player's Handbook.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

An unarmed attack is 1d3 + STR nonlethal. A lich is immune to nonlethal damage. He also has no weapon out, so there is no AoO.

Assuming O-Chul has improved unarmed combat, it becomes 1d3 + STR lethal. This would not penetrate the lich's DR. An unarmed attack is bludgeoning, but it isn't also magic, so the DR would still apply.

The smite evil would incrase his damage by his level, which we presume to be around 11. His strength is probably 14 or 16, but let's just say it's 18.. This would probably hurt the lich a little bit. He's probably in the 1d3 + 15 range. He can not critical against undead.

Xykon had a readied action to cast a spell if O-Chul came within 5' of him. That's how he was able to get off a ray of frost mid-attack.

Some DMs rule that you have to roll initiative on a readied action to see how successfully you interrupt the action you're readying against. The comic could simply represent O-Chul rolling a better initiative than previously. But it's probably just a throwaway joke.

So, there is literally a zero threat that O-Chul poses to Xykon in the comic. the most damage he could have done, assuming level 11, STR bonus +4, and improved unarmed combat feat, is 1d3 damage.
    Last edited by Craig1f; 2008-03-25 at 01:54 PM.