New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Half-casting and prestige classes

I was thinking recently about classes like Ranger and Paladin (the ones with minor spellcasting) and the half-casting PrCs. Would it be ridiculously overpowered to allow a Hexblade who took levels in, say, Green Star Adept to advance his Hexblade spellcasting fully?
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Half-casting and prestige classes

I don't think it'd be overpowered at all. They're half-casting for a reason you know.
    Keith Baker, on the age of Erandis d'Vol:
    Spoiler
    Show

... The miniature of her certainly makes her look older, but personally I like young Erandis both on the basis that the purge of the line started before she could grow into her full powers, and also because it lets her and Jaela have a vicious catfight sometime.

Maybe I'm playing a wrong game.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

A Ranger or Paladin can take the Sword of the Arcane Order feat (Champions of Valor) in order to memorize Wizard spells in their respective Ranger or Paladin spell slots. Great for mounted builds, thanks to the Share Spell ability. This will give you the full BAB, nifty abilities, and respectable arcane spell list you desire.

I'd be fine with a Hexblade 5/Green Star Adept 10/Whatever 5 with full Hexblade caster progression too. Being a construct (no Con score) can really screw your hit points and your familiar's hit points. I'd call shenanigans though if you wanted Hexblade 5/GSA 9/Whatever 6 with full Hexblade caster progression though.

4. - Top - End - #4

This wasn't a specific build thing, more a general idea. GSA was the first official half-casting class I could find...
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MorkaisChosen View Post
    This wasn't a specific build thing, more a general idea. GSA was the first official half-casting class I could find...
    Um... isn't acolyte of the skin like one of the first PrCs in that book with half-casting?
    "You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."-Urza