New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Anti-Anti-Magic Field

Okay, so, I'm furious about Anti-Magic Fields all of a sudden. Randomly, yes. Unfounded, I don't think so. I'm playing a wizard, and, though it isn't a problem now, I've realized that my character will become completely useless in one of these areas. For non-casters, maybe their armor and weapons lose potency, but they still are able to perform their main purpose. Even without that wonky feat that lets clerics cast inside AMFs, divine casters (clerics, druids and even favored souls) are able to hold their own in combat, at least for a little while. But...my poor wizard! Even my familiar loses his bonuses, which makes my character even suckier! So friggin' lame!

So, is there ANY way for me to get around that? Besides standing outside and conjuring stuff into it?
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Anti-Anti-Magic Field

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Warlock View Post
    Okay, so, I'm furious about Anti-Magic Fields all of a sudden. Randomly, yes. Unfounded, I don't think so. I'm playing a wizard, and, though it isn't a problem now, I've realized that my character will become completely useless in one of these areas. For non-casters, maybe their armor and weapons lose potency, but they still are able to perform their main purpose. Even without that wonky feat that lets clerics cast inside AMFs, divine casters (clerics, druids and even favored souls) are able to hold their own in combat, at least for a little while. But...my poor wizard! Even my familiar loses his bonuses, which makes my character even suckier! So friggin' lame!

So, is there ANY way for me to get around that? Besides standing outside and conjuring stuff into it?
    Wall of Force, as discussed on the Monk Balance Test thread.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Alternatively, learn to accept that every character has a certain role, and your role is not operating in an anti-magic field. If the rogue doesn't complain when operating in a trap-free environment, if the barbarian doesn't complain when operating in a social environment, if the cleric doesn't complain when enemies ask "Where is your god now?!?", then the wizard shouldn't complain when operating in a magic-free environment. You'll get your chance to shine soon enough.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

AssassinGuy

1) On the other hand, you get to own the rest of the time.

2) Instantaneous conjurations are your friend.

3) Yes, AMFs are Bad Game Design. Don't feel too bad, though--everyone's useless in an AMF. Seriously, the Fighter's AC becomes what? Monsters will eat him for lunch.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anti-Anti-Magic Field
    Trace-buster-buster

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Alternatively, learn to accept that every character has a certain role, and your role is not operating in an anti-magic field. If the rogue doesn't complain when operating in a trap-free environment
    I wasn't aware rogues were rendered completely useless in a trap free environment.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    I wasn't aware rogues were rendered completely useless in a trap free environment.
    The wizard still has knowledge checks?
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The wizard still has knowledge checks?
    "Hey guys! I know we're in an antimagic field, and that huge monster over there is going to kick our collective asses!"

9. - Top - End - #9

By leaving the AMF and casting Instantaneous Conjurations into it.

By tricking your opponent to leaving the AMF if he is a caster and then hitting him with your spells while he stands outside it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Wall of Force, as discussed on the Monk Balance Test thread.
    There is some debate as to whether a spellcaster inside an anti-magic field can cast spells. While the strict reading of the text does not forbit it, many folks consider that an error, since the rules do say that it's impossible to use spell-like abilities.

I believe there's also a 9th-level spell (Invoke Magic, I think it's called?) that lets you ignore an antimagic field for a single spell. But a 9th level slot is a steep price to pay, and there's a lot of playtime before it even becomes an option.

At lower levels, stock up on a few good alchemical items. Alchemy in D&D is regarded as nonmagical, so your Tanglefoot Bags and Thunderstones will work just fine.

3) Yes, AMFs are Bad Game Design.
    Well, if every single adventure takes place in an anti-magic dungeon, just to keep the wizard in check, that's a sign that something's wrong with the game, but an occasional AMF, in moderation, is not necessarily unreasonable (for the DM to throw at the players, or for the players to try to prepared for).
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    "Hey guys! I know we're in an antimagic field, and that huge monster over there is going to kick our collective asses!"
    Rogue: "Truly we would have no chance in this fight but for your herculean intellect!"

Barbarian: "AGGH! KRUG SWORD NOT BURNEY!"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Rogue: "Truly we would have no chance in this fight but for your herculean intellect!"

Barbarian: "AGGH! KRUG SWORD NOT BURNEY!"
    Cleric: Huh. Where'd god go?
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

13. - Top - End - #13

Note: The category of "Instantaneous Conjurations" does not just include summoning walls anymore. Thanks to WotC moving Teleportation from transformation school (3.0) to conjuration school (3.5) it also includes the entire line of teleport spells, so one of the best counters to an AMF is to teleport out of an AMF, then teleport back accompanied a horde of highly spell resistant summoned monsters, who, due to the quirk of the way RAW works, all retain their supernatural/magic features as long as they make their spell resistance checks.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, how about: Is there any way to make spell-like abilities useful in Anti-Magic Fields? My wizard just happens to also be a Dragonfire Adept (Gestalt).
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

15. - Top - End - #15

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    At lower levels, stock up on a few good alchemical items. Alchemy in D&D is regarded as nonmagical, so your Tanglefoot Bags and Thunderstones will work just fine.
    You can also attack with your light crossbow, Aid Another in combat, or provide flanking. A Wizard in an antimagic field is similar to a Wizard who's run out of spells, where it's good to be prepared for both situations.

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Bait View Post
    Cleric: Huh. Where'd god go?
    Bard: Hey, at least it's not silence!

Fighter: Hey, at least it wasn't a rust monster!

Rogue: Hey, at least it's not immune to precision damage!
    Everyone Else: Uhh... it's an anti-magic field. You don't attack it.
    Rogue: No sneak attack?
    Everyone Else: Uh-uh.
    *rogue cries*

Really, I posted far too quickly. I should've said "if the rogue doesn't complain when facing undead, constructs, oozes, etc." Crit-immune monsters stink.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Okay, how about: Is there any way to make spell-like abilities useful in Anti-Magic Fields? My wizard just happens to also be a Dragonfire Adept (Gestalt).
    No. Not even your Supernatural breath weapon works. You're pretty much totally screwed.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser1 View Post
    You can also attack with your light crossbow, Aid Another in combat, or provide flanking. A Wizard in an antimagic field is similar to a Wizard who's run out of spells, where it's good to be prepared for both situations.
    You want the *wizard* to provide flanking? wtf? With a whip or something so he an do it from 15ft away?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Epic Spells have a decent chance to ignore antimagic fields, unless they were cast by an epic character as well...

And if you fill up all of your ninth level slots with Disjunction, you should be able to remove the field eventually, provided you can step outside it.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quite honestly, its pretty much the only thing that handycaps a wizard completely. I wouldn't complain too much about it, since a wizard can pretty much nuke the entire world on a whim the rest of the time....

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Wait what? There's a specific situation where a wizard can't esplode the world and fly away? That's poor game design!!!

My suggestion: Stop trying to play a character that can win in any possible scenario presented and take a step back. No literally, take a step back out of the anti-magic field.

There are most often ways of bending rules that aren't precisely worded to get around them. This is an entertaining thought experiment and an exercise in careful reading and critical thinking. This is not fun. This is a game. If your DM presented a situation where there is an anti-magic involved he/she may be trying to give you guys a challenge that won't be 1 rounded by a bad roll on a save or suck spell. As a general rule I pretty much just say anti-magic means magic doesn't work, deal with it.

If bending rules to get out of situations is a game you and your DM enjoy playing then more power to you. In many situations it may just lead to your DM railroading you instead. "You area all captured, they take your gear and your spellbook, you don't have any more spells memorized today."

Anyway, just wanted to reiterate that discussing holes in game mechanics is an interesting thought experiment that is very at home in boards like these. However, that is exactly what you are asking: "How can I use magic when/where I'm not allowed to use magic". Perfectly reasonable on the boards, it can get a bit tiring in game.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by senrath View Post
    And if you fill up all of your ninth level slots with Disjunction,
    A Bad Idea.

Jes' sayin'.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate Scribe View Post
    A Bad Idea.

Jes' sayin'.
    Yeah, I know. But it would technically work. Anyway, thats why I prefer spontaneous casters. Fewer spells known (usually) but the ability to pull out your spells as needed, instead of guessing ahead of time.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Breaw View Post
    This is an entertaining thought experiment and an exercise in careful reading and critical thinking. This is not fun.
    Says you.

Anyhow, you can cast through an antimagic field, and maybe you can cast at targets outside an antimagic field from within (debatable by the term "used").

Besides, what's going to hurt you in such a field? Su/Sp/Magic items don't work in it. If someone uses this against you, just move away (10ft radius) and then use a swift action like your contingency (to teleport away, of course).

Antimagic field doesn't just cripple wizards, it cripples the user, too.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Sculpted AMFs for the win.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2008-03-27 at 04:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Depends upon the user. Where I, say, a red Dragon I would be very happy with an AMF around my lair. Breath weapons are Supernatural.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Depends upon the user. Where I, say, a red Dragon I would be very happy with an AMF around my lair. Breath weapons are Supernatural.
    Yup. And AMF nullifies supernatural abilities.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Breath weapons are Supernatural.
    And thus unusable in an AMF.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by sikyon View Post
    Says you.

To be clear, I also said:

If bending rules to get out of situations is a game you and your DM enjoy playing then more power to you.

There certainly is something to power-gaming. I certainly have my fair share of discussions about solutions to problems that deep down you know shouldn't work, but aren't prohibited by the relevant rules.

However, unless you have a DM and a full party interested in sidestepping the challenges presented to you, it will feel an awful lot like you are cheating. I tend to try to play under an assumption of reasonability, this assumption precludes the possibility of magic in anti-magic fields.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Well, create/buy a Wand of Orb of Force. If the creature doesn't have natural flying speed, fly and proceed to unload the wand. Keep a force cage prepared, if you can fit the creature inside it, it is doomed. But NO, DO NOT use Disjunction, unless if you are facing like, two AMFs a session. Respect mutual destruction agreements, or be prepared to lose your stuff after hours making saving throws for each magic item you have. Disjunction is that bad.
    In two seconds I will hit the ground
    A moment stretched out over years
    And my eyes will flicker and then something has changed
    An empty cage, a crimson bud, a street of blood
    A city rose sprung out to greet the rain

PoS: Enter Rain