New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [PrC] The Metagamer - Check it out!

The Metagamer
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Mathematic Vision, Know The Knowledge

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Min-Maxer

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Forgot To Write That Down, Mathematic Vision 2/day

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Min-Maxer 2/day

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Emergency d20s

6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Mathematic Vision + Min-Maxer 4/day

7th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |That Landed On A 20

8th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Mathematic Vision + Min-Maxer 8/day

9th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Just Look At My Sheet

10th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Improved Mathematic Vision[/table]

There are those who devote themselves to the art of swordplay. There are those who master the arcane arts of magic. There are those who strive to fulfill the wishes of their deities, or to bump uglies... I mean, smite evil. And then there are those who realise that they live within a role-playing game, governed by simple mathematical laws. These “metagamers” discover the basic rules of their universe in the form of three tomes, known only as the PHB, DMG and MM. They scribe the very essence of their being onto a scrap of parchment known as a “character sheet”. Finally, they learn to evade death and succeed impossibly by fooling the god of this universe, the “DM”.
    Hit Die: d6

Requirements
    To qualify to become a metagamer, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:
    Knowledge (Metagaming): Must be trained in this skill (1 rank).
    Sleight of Hand: 8 ranks.
    Bluff: 8 ranks.
    Special: A metagamer must level in this class without being noticed by the DM. This takes a Sleight of Hand check DC 15 + the level which the metagamer is about to receive. This check must be rolled, not taken 10 or 20. If failed the metagamer cannot level this class for a week (the XP is not lost, but no metagamer leveling can take place for the week).

Class Skills
    The metagamer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Escape Artist (Dex), Knowledge (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Profession (Wis), Speak Language and Spellcraft (Int).
    Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.
    Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the metagamer prestige class.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Metagamers are proficient with all simple weaponry and light armour, but not shields.

Mathematic Vision (Su): Once per day, the metagamer can discover the value of any number. This includes numbers such as DCs, ACs, current or max hit points, nonlethal damage, etc. The DM decides if she will give the requested number. If the DM decides not to give the number, the ability is not lost, but the character will not learn the number. At 3rd, 6th and 8th level the number of Mathematic Visions per day doubles (2 Visions at 3rd level, 4 Visions at 6th level, and 8 at 8th). This ability is useful to see the DC of climbing a wall to decide whether to attempt the climb, to see an enemy's hit points to decide whether to use a powerful spell or just stab him a few times, or to learn the AC of an enemy to decide whether to bother trying to hit him in the first place.

Know The Knowledge (Ex): A metagamer can use metagaming knowledge without penalty if he succeeds on a Knowledge (Metagaming) check (DC set by DM). This includes only PHB knowledge. To use DMG or MM knowledge the metagamer must also make a Sleight of Hand check, DC 15. Other source books also need a Sleight of Hand check, DC 18. This can be used to find the damage dice for a weapon, a monster's weakness, or the capacity of a Bag of Holding.

Min-Maxer (Ex): At 2nd level, the metagamer gains the ability to switch around the ability numbers on his character sheet. This allows him to, for instance, move most of his ability scores into Strength to pull open a stuck door, into Intelligence to formulate a cunning plan, into Constitution if he meets an enemy with a poisonous attack, or into Dexterity to pick an Amazing lock. The switch lasts for 1 minute. This switch can only be made with a successful Sleight of Hand check. The DC is 10 plus the number of ability points being moved. If you fail the check, you still lose the ability, but your stats will not be switched. You cannot create ability points with this ability. They must be taken from one ability to add to another. You cannot decrease an ability to below 10, or to more than double its original value. This ability can be used once per hour. At 4th, 6th and 8th level this number doubles. (2 Min-Maxers at 4th level, 4 Min-Maxers at 6th level, and 8 at 8th).

Forgot To Write That Down (Ex): At 3rd level, the metagamer gains the ability to completely ignore the effects of a single action, including attacks made against the metagamer, spells cast at them, and area spells containing them. To do this, the metagamer must make a Bluff check, DC 15+10% of the damage the metagamer wishes to ignore. Level drain is 100 damage per level. Ability drains are 50 damage per point. If the check succeeds, the metagamer “forgets” to write the damage, negative levels, ability drain, or other effect on his character sheet, completely negating the action taken against him. If the check is failed, the DM realises. The metagamer is not forced to fix his character sheet, but he cannot use the ability again that day. The metagamer may otherwise continue to use this ability all day, but the Bluff DC increases by +4 for each use. The DC returns to normal the next day. This ability can only be used once per encounter.

Emergency d20s (Ex): At 5th level, the metagamer procures a set of dice. He can use these to reroll any roll he makes. He can reroll only once, and must use the reroll, even if it is lower. This ability can be used once per hour. If his dice are lost or stolen, this ability is lost until he can find some new dice.

That Landed On A 20 (Ex): At 7th level, the metagamer gains the ability to take 20 on any d20 roll, without taking 20 times as long. He does this by rotating the d20 before the GM has a chance to see it. This requires a Bluff check, DC decided by DM, and a Sleight of Hand check, DC 15 plus the difference between 20 and the normally rolled number. If he succeeds, he has taken 20 for free. If he fails either check, he cannot use the ability again for a week. Like Forgot To Write That Down, the DC increases by +4 for every use. The +4 to DC is removed after a week. This ability can be used for any d20 roll, except for the roll used to use the ability in the first place.

Just Look At My Sheet (Su): At 9th level, the metagamer gains the ability to change all character sheets. This takes a Sleight of Hand check DC 20:

{table=head]Change|DC Modifier
    Current HP|+1 per 5 points
    Max HP|+2 per point
    Saving Throw|+1 per point
    Initiative|+1 per point
    Skill|+4 per rank
    Ability|+5 per point
    Feat|+12 per feat
    Spells Per Day|+5 per spell
    Spells Known|+10 per spell
    Languages|+4 per language
    Nonlethal|+1 per 10 points
    Ammunition|+1 per 5 shots
    Alignment|+5 per step
    Role Playing|-5
    Other Change|Ask Your DM
    Someone Else's Sheet|+10
    [/table]

Your current HP cannot exceed your maximum. Adding to a saving throw or initiative takes the form of a temporary modifier. An alignment step is changing one axis by one point (LE to LN, CG to NG, TN to NG). Role Playing changes include name, hair colour, skin colour, and such. You can change the character sheet for any player or monster, with a +10 DC penalty. If the other player is willing to have their sheet changed, you do not take the +10 penalty. For every additional use of this ability +4 is added to the DC. If you succeed at the check, whatever change you requested is made. If you fail, you cannot use the ability again for a month. The additional change +4 penalty is removed a month after it is applied. After using this ability you must make a Bluff check each day the change is to remain, with a +2 to DC for each additional day.

Improved Mathematic Vision (Sp): At 10th level, the metagamer gains this extended form of Mathematic Vision. This ability is cast like True Seeing. When cast, the metagamer can see the numbers for things he merely looks at. This Vision lasts for 1 minute. A disallowed number does not end the Vision. Using this ability counts as two regular Mathematic Visions, so the metagamer only gets four.

This is my first homebrew, so it's probably awfully unbalanced. Please provide constructive criticism!
    Last edited by MeTheGameGuy; 2008-03-30 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Skill Points per Level

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: [PrC] The Metagamer - Check it out!

My first response is that the DCs are much too low. If you want this to be a Sleight-of-Hand dependent class, you have to realize that no self-respecting character would be capable of failing almost all of these checks. You don't want to have Truenamer-level difficulties (because of encounter and day limits on these abilities), but these should be scaled up. The check to advance in the class is cute and more appropriate difficulty than most of the class abilities.

As an example, at 20th level, it is a DC 30 Sleight of Hand check to cause an opponent to lose access to Power Attack. There are many fighters and melee characters that this could completely cripple.

And DC 25 to cause a Paladin to completely lose his powers?

These need to be scaled up.
    Last edited by appending_doom; 2008-03-28 at 05:27 AM.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by appending_doom View Post
    My first response is that the DCs are much too low. If you want this to be a Sleight-of-Hand dependent class, you have to realize that no self-respecting character would be capable of failing almost all of these checks. You don't want to have Truenamer-level difficulties (because of encounter and day limits on these abilities), but these should be scaled up. The check to advance in the class is cute and more appropriate difficulty than most of the class abilities.

As an example, at 20th level, it is a DC 30 Sleight of Hand check to cause an opponents to lose access to Power Attack. There are many fighters and melee characters that this could completely cripple.

And DC 25 to cause a Paladin to completely lose his powers?

These need to be scaled up.
    Thanks for the help, Appending_Doom. Will fix the DCs tomorrow.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

your reflex save appears to be confused...

and all second levels saves are x...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

My roommate jokes about a feat his old gaming group has as a running gag called "Immune to That". With it, anytime the DM tries to throw something at you - like, say, an acid trap? "Oh, I'm immune to that." And you're squeaky clean.

Seems like it'd fit well with this class. =p

Anyhow, nice job overall. Funny stuff. :D I like the Know the Knowledge and Forgot to Write That Down abilities.

Oh, typo - you say that they get 2 uses of Min-Maxer at "4rd" level.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

There we go. Fixed DCs and typos. Please continue to criticize!

7. - Top - End - #7

why not 1/2 bab, why not normal save progressions?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

What are the normal save progressions?

9. - Top - End - #9

Level: Full BAB_Medium BAB_1/2 BAB_Good Save_Bad Save
    1____1_______0__________0_______2_________0
    2____2_______1__________1_______3_________0
    3____3_______2__________1_______3_________1
    4____4_______3__________2_______4_________1
    5____5_______3__________2_______4_________1
    6____6/1_____4__________3_______5_________2
    7____7/2_____5__________3_______5_________2
    8____8/3_____6/1________4_______6_________2
    9____9/4_____6/1________4_______6_________3
    10___10/5____7/2________5_______7_________3

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Changed to regular save progressions.

11. - Top - End - #11

Finally! I can play Red Mage from 8 Bit Theater!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    Finally! I can play Red Mage from 8 Bit Theater!
    Yeah, that's why I put in the ability switcher and "Emergency d20s"!

13. - Top - End - #13

I knew a guy who 'rolled' so many 20s, that he once exclaimed, "I got an actual 20!"

It soon became a running gag among that group.
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)
    Str 23, Dex 32, Con 30, Int 17, Wis 27, Cha 19
    AC: 33, Claw: +29 Melee (1d2+19)
    Body by Jake Army. Avatar by Kyace.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

why does this class have a BAB requirement? also, if I am reading this wrong, but can't this class be entered by a 3 level ranger? or do knowledge (any) not work that way. also, make it Knowledge (metagaming), instead.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Kemek View Post
    why does this class have a BAB requirement? also, if I am reading this wrong, but can't this class be entered by a 3 level ranger? or do knowledge (any) not work that way. also, make it Knowledge (metagaming), instead.
    Not sure about the BAB requirement... Good knowledge idea! Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

also, the main skill this class uses is SoH, and you only need 5 ranks? make it 10, and get rid of the MS rank requirement, he never uses it.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Kemek View Post
    also, the main skill this class uses is SoH, and you only need 5 ranks? make it 10, and get rid of the MS rank requirement, he never uses it.
    Agreed. I don't think anyone except wizards (who can take all knowledge skills as class skills) would be able to get 10 ranks in Knowledge (metagaming) before 17th level.

Formatting:
    On the class table, it's clearer if it reads #/day rather than x ability.
    For example:
    Instead of:
    {table]4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Forgot To Write That Down, 2 Visions[/table]

Clearer is:
    {table]4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Forgot To Write That Down, Mathematic Vision 2/day.[/table]
    Last edited by TRM; 2008-03-29 at 03:54 PM.
    silver

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rogue_Monk View Post
    Agreed. I don't think anyone except wizards (who can take all knowledge skills as class skills) would be able to get 10 ranks in Knowledge (metagaming) before 17th level.
    Bard, too, gets all knowledge skills.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Magnor Criol View Post
    Bard, too, gets all knowledge skills.
    And since Sleight of Hand isn't a wizard class skill, only bards can practically qualify for this class.

I'm confused about Just Look at My Sheet. He can use it as often as he wants, but every time the DC increases by +4 and the base DC remains 4 higher until a month has passed?
    That seems awkward somehow, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I'm not sure if these are actually unbalanced or it just me, but you might want to look at those again...
    I see a couple of other things like that (specifically Forgot to Write That Down and Landed on a Twenty).
    silver

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rogue_Monk View Post
    And since Sleight of Hand isn't a wizard class skill, only bards can practically qualify for this class.

I'm confused about Just Look at My Sheet. He can use it as often as he wants, but every time the DC increases by +4 and the base DC remains 4 higher until a month has passed?
    That seems awkward somehow, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I'm not sure if these are actually unbalanced or it just me, but you might want to look at those again...
    I see a couple of other things like that (specifically Forgot to Write That Down and Landed on a Twenty).
    Decreased the Knowledge requirement.

Just Look at My Sheet gets more difficult as the DM gets more suspicious. If a metagamer fails the check the ability can't be used for a month, after which the DM is no longer suspicious. The other abilities do the same, except that they can be used after a day or a week instead, because they are weaker abilities.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The sole issue I can think of is people really min-maxing their sleight of hand.

How long does Just Look at my sheet last? If it's permanent, there's a problem. For example, use it to add +4 to sleight of hand, if you can make DC 40.

There is no cap on points moved with min-maxer? I detect an issue.

Can you use these abilities to fuel themselves? For example, that Landed on a 20 to aid in using Forgot to write that down?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd call it "the Munchkin" instead of "the Metagamer." It seems to be more fitting. A Metagamer just unfairly uses knowledge of the game around him, while a Munchkin is more varied in how he/she cheats.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-03-29 at 06:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Actually, a Powergamer or Min-max class would be cool. Hmmmm....

No overt cheating... so how do you do it..

Ooh, commandments of optimization!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The sole issue I can think of is people really min-maxing their sleight of hand.

How long does Just Look at my sheet last? If it's permanent, there's a problem. For example, use it to add +4 to sleight of hand, if you can make DC 40.

There is no cap on points moved with min-maxer? I detect an issue.

Can you use these abilities to fuel themselves? For example, that Landed on a 20 to aid in using Forgot to write that down?
    Oh dear. I'd better fix up some of this stuff...

EDIT: Okay, fixed up those problems, apart from just min-maxing Sleight of Hand... Hmm...
    Last edited by MeTheGameGuy; 2008-03-29 at 07:17 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Not all of it is a massive issue, I just worry mainly about maxing out sleight of hand. (i.e. a 10'th level metagamer with +34ish sleight of hand isn't unreasonable to expect. That's without some sort of enhancing spell/item. I can just see a Factotum going into this class, and getting +38, +45 1/day, at level 17. Even at lower levels, he would have a massive score, what with Brawn over Brains. Then, of course, That Landed on a 20.

That Landed on a 20 has no reset time, and needs one (or at least, it's unclear). Is that per day?

The DC on That Landed on a 20 feels far too low.

Prehaps make Just Look at My Character Sheet last... a minute or so? Prehaps a Bluff check or somesuch to make it last longer? Alternatively, make its bonuses max at something, and require a Bluff check to make use of the higher stats or somesuch.

EDIT: Hmmm... interesting fix to Just Look at My Character Sheet. I'm not sure it's enough, but it's pretty good. Potent boosts don't last very long.

Now, how to block min-maxing sleight of hand....
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2008-03-29 at 07:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

ooh, make it so that if you fail the SoH check, they can make a bluff check to the DM, DC of the bluff=DC of SoH+amount missed by.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you want to keep them from super Min-Maxing SoH, make it so that you can't put something past the max ranks you're supposed to have in a skill anyway...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

But that's silly. Maybe prevent any magical enhancements from working on SoH in relation to these skills?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Or maybe using some other skill as well? That's probably what I'll go with.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Forced MAD? Could work. Bluff and SoH work well together. This prevents Brain over Brawns from dominating, for example.