New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Five man band

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Five man band

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Five man band

I think you need some counting assistance there buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Chick - (tambourine, vocal effects) - usually the band's "heart" or moral center and usually the most innocent and/or emotional of the group.
    Haley the moral center?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tass View Post
    "The right-hand man and go-to guy for The Hero. He has the same well-rounded skill set as his counterpart," - er, I don't think so.

"The Big Guy will often be the band's "tank"; a Mighty Glacier who serves as the strongest physical fighter, but also the slowest and least proficient at magic." - doesn't look so fitting either.

"Traditionally the token female, and usually the most emotional or innocent member of the group" - Hah! Most innocent, our dear thief?

"Then, mid-season, a mysterious new character appears, fighting the protagonists and antagonists alike! " Yeah, that's not Belkar either.

So, er, no. The Giant certainly knows his tropes, but these aren't them.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2008-03-29 at 08:21 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aapje View Post
    Haley the moral center?
    I thought Elan was the heart - maybe he's the Chick, and Haley is the Lancer? She is the second in command. Not sure about a Dwarf being the Big Guy either, except when he casts Thor's Might.
    I gave up fighting, and stabbing and bludgeoning and stealing and bar-brawls and wenches . . . and it was the worst 10 rounds of my life - Jerry the Country & Western Bard.

WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY???

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I think you need some counting assistance there buddy.
    Well Belkar doesn't count, he's the sixt ranger.

...He's a ranger at least.

Quote Originally Posted by aapje View Post
    Haley the moral center?
    I have quite a few good replies to that. I can't deside, so here are a few:

1: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/usual
    2: Well I think she is.
    3: Well she is a chick.
    4: Come on, next you will claim that Belkar won't be revealed to be a good character. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    "The right-hand man and go-to guy for The Hero. He has the same well-rounded skill set as his counterpart," - er, I don't think so.

"The Big Guy will often be the band's "tank"; a Mighty Glacier who serves as the strongest physical fighter, but also the slowest and least proficient at magic." - doesn't look so fitting either.

"Traditionally the token female, and usually the most emotional or innocent member of the group" - Hah! Most innocent, our dear thief?

"Then, mid-season, a mysterious new character appears, fighting the protagonists and antagonists alike! " Yeah, that's not Belkar either.

So, er, no. The Giant certainly knows his tropes, but these aren't them.
    Bah, you're just fishing the worst parts. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I thought Elan was the heart - maybe he's the Chick, and Haley is the Lancer? She is the second in command. Not sure about a Dwarf being the Big Guy either, except when he casts Thor's Might.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by TVtropes
    # The Hero - (lead singer) - the leader of the group; can be clean-cut and upstanding, bold and charismatic, serious and driven, or some combination of the three.
    # The Lancer - (lead guitarist) - the second-in-command, usually a contrast to The Hero. If the Hero is clean-cut, the Lancer is a grizzled Anti Hero; if the Hero is the driven and straight-laced type, the Lancer is more relaxed and level-headed. In a comedy situation, the Lancer is often The Straight Man or a Deadpan Snarker.
    # The Big Guy - (bassist or drummer) - the strongman of the team, often dumb. Or mute. Sometimes a Genius Bruiser instead.
    # The Smart Guy - (keyboardist) - the physically weak, but intelligent or clever member, often annoying or for comic relief; often a Trickster and a buddy of the Big Guy.
    # The Chick - (tambourine, vocal effects) - usually the band's "heart" or moral center and usually the most innocent and/or emotional of the group. This role is usually taken by the token female of the group, hence the name, and if there's a royal in the band, it's usually her: see Princess Allura (Voltron), and Princess Leia Organa (Star Wars). If done wrong, the poor Chick is little more than a useless tag-along who gets in the other heroes' way. If done right, she can become a secondary Lancer or Smart Guy, or perhaps the Team Mom. The Hero and Lancer are usually in a Love Triangle with her at the center.
    Last edited by Tass; 2008-03-29 at 08:39 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tass View Post
    The Hero and Lancer are usually in a Love Triangle with her at the center.
    Can I ask why are you bolding it?
    If there is any Love Triangle in OotS, I am obviously in other universe, reading some different OotS...
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I agree with Tass that the OotS might be a five-men band, but the roles are certainly different.

Roy clearly is the Leader. Here, there's no questioning.

Haley is not the Chick, Elan is. Even though he's male, he clearly acts as the Charisma holder of the group, is some kind of an emotional support (though a very bothering one, at times). He's also closer to a royal than any other (he served some great guy, and is the son of an Evil overlord.)

Now then, Haley. She is the Lancer. She is a girl and it would be too easy to let her be the Chick. But she isn't. She has a lot more character than Elan. She has been more useful, and on a lot of occasions, where Roy failed, she was there to make him right. (Red strikes true, Lord Shojo, the Con Game)

Now, is there a love triangle between these? No, but Elan seems to admire Roy a lot, which somewhat implies a love problem for Haley. But still, she ultimately got the Chick (if only because she's the girl).

Now, who's the Tough guy and who's the Smart guy? It was all to easy to fall into V's intelligence's trap. V's brilliant in learning, but V doesn't have much common sense. So, my guess would be that Vaarsuvius is the Tough guy (as counterintuitive as it may seem). Look at how V manages to be overkilling with the Elementals and the huge army. And V is proficient in strenght, yet through deep magic.

So Durkon is the Smart guy. It doesn't show up because of V's pure knowledge, but he does show a lot of common sense. His use of the Control Weather scroll was brilliant. And look at how he scolds Julia and how proactive he is in the situation. Masterful.

Finally, Belkar is the wild sixth element. He doesn't fight against them, be he clearly is an opponent to deal with. Look at how Roy defends him not for being good, but for having been loyal despite all the possibilities he got to just backstab all of his team. Because he still could do it, at any time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, interesting idea, Tass, but I've gotta go with Yiuel's line of reasoning on who best fits which "type".

Of course, none of them are perfect fits, but it does make for a fun bit of conjecture.

10. - Top - End - #10

I agree with most Yiuel says. Elan taking a lot of the chicks roles makes sense. There haven't been true love triangles, but Haley has often been jealous of various chicks elan has made out with.

I'm not sure about switching Durkon and V though. The smart guy does not always have common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TVTropes
    In fantasy settings, he'll usually be skilled at magic -- Particularly of the offensive variety, in which case he serves as the team's "Nuker". (...) Note that in recent years, as casts have become more gender-balanced, The Smart Guy is the one most likely to swap genders. Since the character type is outwardly sexless and non-masculine, turning him into The Smart Girl is not that big a stretch.
    Deffinitely V.

(On a side not, in the cast page Elan is more clearly a Lancer and Haley the chick, but there Roy is not the hero...)
    Last edited by Tass; 2008-03-29 at 09:44 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I did have a lot of problems with V and Durkon. They do exchange places a lot during the strip.

However, we can't say much about Durkon's masculinity. Not that V is anything masculine, but at least, V is married. Durkon first had sex in the strip (while all others had before).

The Smart one is usually a Deus ex machina when all other solutions have failed. Durkon, not V, will be the True Resurrection caster. Durkon, out of nowhere, was able to kick the Gnome's ass, V failing powerlessly.

Also, The Strong, as I feel it, ia always a strength seeker. V's question to the kobold is clear : V has been very strightforward. Also, V's androgynity is actually a feature here. It makes V even less a stereotype of the Strong.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I thought Elan was the heart - maybe he's the Chick, and Haley is the Lancer? She is the second in command.
    That actually makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Yiuel View Post
    Now, who's the Tough guy and who's the Smart guy? It was all to easy to fall into V's intelligence's trap. V's brilliant in learning, but V doesn't have much common sense. So, my guess would be that Vaarsuvius is the Tough guy (as counterintuitive as it may seem). Look at how V manages to be overkilling with the Elementals and the huge army. And V is proficient in strenght, yet through deep magic.
    I think you have a point. But when you say "huge army" do you mean "army that is huge" or do you mean "army that may be small, but is composed of individually huge units?"

I did have a lot of problems with V and Durkon. They do exchange places a lot during the strip.
    Yeah. I'd say that they both alternate between "big guy/smart guy" roles through the strip.

However, we can't say much about Durkon's masculinity. Not that V is anything masculine, but at least, V is married. Durkon first had sex in the strip (while all others had before).
    Yes, but we can at least say confidently that he is in fact male. He also seems to be relatively young (in that he hasn't spent very much time living in the outside world), which explains the "first having sex" bit. Fellow lives a sheltered clerical lifestyle, y'know?

The Smart one is usually a Deus ex machina when all other solutions have failed. Durkon, not V, will be the True Resurrection caster. Durkon, out of nowhere, was able to kick the Gnome's ass, V failing powerlessly.
    There can certainly be siutations where the Smart Guy fails and the Strong Guy comes in and saves the situation.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

13. - Top - End - #13

Once upon a time, TV Tropes itself claimed:
    : The Hero
    : The Lancer
    : The Big Guy
    : The Smart Guy
    : The Chick
    : The Sixth Ranger

I would vouch for Belkar as the Big Guy, believe it or not, and discard his homicidal tendencies for filling out the group. I would discard Durkon to the Sixth Ranger as he's by far the least fleshed out of the group. Alternately, make Elan the "tagalong kid", Haley the Chick, and Belkar or Durkon the Lancer, at least for the early strips.

Don't read too much in the cast page... Rich is just subverting the fact that normally you'd expect Haley to be the Chick and Roy the Big Guy if you were going stereotypically - characterizations both of them object to.

98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.

Instead, I have a blog and web site: http://morganwick.com Tweeter: http://twitter.com/morganwick Webcomic (not really OOTS-related): http://morganwick.freehostia.com/webcomic

Official self-appointed former commentator for The Sticks Awards.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

The relationships are more or less accidental. We have a large number of elements that can be more or less randomly attached to any of the heros and the result will be a "5 man band" [which does not always number 5].

We might note we are told Roy was originally going to be the mage of the group. This degree of rewriting should tell us the gang was not modeled on any particular source.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd say that Belkar is the Toblerone of the group (IE the Korgan).
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Thumbs up Re: Five man band

I agree with Tass that the OotS might be a five-men band, but the roles are certainly different.

Roy clearly is the Leader. Here, there's no questioning.

Haley is not the Chick, Elan is. Even though he's male, he clearly acts as the Charisma holder of the group, is some kind of an emotional support (though a very bothering one, at times). He's also closer to a royal than any other (he served some great guy, and is the son of an Evil overlord.)

Now then, Haley. She is the Lancer. She is a girl and it would be too easy to let her be the Chick. But she isn't. She has a lot more character than Elan. She has been more useful, and on a lot of occasions, where Roy failed, she was there to make him right. (Red strikes true, Lord Shojo, the Con Game)

Now, is there a love triangle between these? No, but Elan seems to admire Roy a lot, which somewhat implies a love problem for Haley. But still, she ultimately got the Chick (if only because she's the girl).

So Durkon is the Smart guy. It doesn't show up because of V's pure knowledge, but he does show a lot of common sense. His use of the Control Weather scroll was brilliant. And look at how he scolds Julia and how proactive he is in the situation. Masterful.

Finally, Belkar is the wild sixth element. He doesn't fight against them, be he clearly is an opponent to deal with. Look at how Roy defends him not for being good, but for having been loyal despite all the possibilities he got to just backstab all of his team. Because he still could do it, at any time.
    Personally, this is the one I agree with the most. However, I do believe that Durkon is the big guy and V is the smart guy. The big guy isn't usually the overkiller. The big guy is usually the loyal, friendly type (like Durkon).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: The band is playing a dirge for this thread.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2