New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Why is Elven Chain 4x more expensive...

I am in the process of creating a rogue right now and I noticed that Elven Chainmail cost is approx. 4,000 gold but a Mithral Shirt which actually has better stats costs(same AC, no armor penalty, lighter weight and better dex bonus) is only 1,100 gold.

Maybe I am reading the descriptions wrong but what is the benefit if going with Elven Chain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Why is Elven Chain 4x more expensive...

It's probaby a hold over from a previous edition.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Actually, elven chainmail has a better AC bonus than a mithral shirt (+5 to +4). The cost is exactly the same as having mithral chainmail.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Elven Chain is statted as Mithral Chain Mail.

Now then, a Chain Shirt is Light Armor, so Mithral Chain is only +1k

However, Chain *MAIL* is Medium Armor, so it's +4k, which explains the price.

If you look, Elven Chain in the DMG actually has an AC of +5, wheras a Chain Shirt only has an AC of +4 (although the max dex of Mithral Chain Shirt is +6 wheras the Mithral Chainmail is only +4.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

5. - Top - End - #5

Ah ok. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

No real benefit unless you're really hard up for a point of AC. The Elven Chain is chainmail, not a chain shirt; that's base AC 5. The extreme difference in costs is from the increase in the cost of mithral for a Medium armor over a Light one. The best use for Elven Chainmail is having a Mithril Chain Shirt made out of it and selling off the rest of the mithril for value by weight. Which probably turns out to be worth more than the actual market cost of the chainmail, because D&D's economy is all kinds of fxbored.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    No real benefit unless you're really hard up for a point of AC. The Elven Chain is chainmail, not a chain shirt; that's base AC 5. The extreme difference in costs is from the increase in the cost of mithral for a Medium armor over a Light one. The best use for Elven Chainmail is having a Mithril Chain Shirt made out of it and selling off the rest of the mithril for value by weight. Which probably turns out to be worth more than the actual market cost of the chainmail, because D&D's economy is all kinds of fxbored.
    I feel as though... no, just no. You've just hurt me.
    Billy was a chemist's son,
    Now Billy is no more.
    What Billy thought was H2O
    Was H2SO4

8. - Top - End - #8

The reason Elven chain is so expensive it that elven smiths are so very rare.

Honestly who has ever met an elven Armourer / Smith in one of his Rpg sessions?

Bowyer / Fletcher or even Swordsmith yes, Armourer, never...

9. - Top - End - #9

Inflation and the drawn out war with orcs.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtar View Post
    The reason Elven chain is so expensive it that elven smiths are so very rare.

Honestly who has ever met an elven Armourer / Smith in one of his Rpg sessions?
    Come on, the greatest smith in modern fantasy (not the greatest character who is a smith; that'd be Conan) is an elf - Feanör. Elven smiths also forged the rings of power.

11. - Top - End - #11

Yes but all elven smiths are from a long time ago... I mean here's part of the Year of the Trees, for goodness sake. That's long before "playing epoch". I never said elves didn't have smiths, just they are so damn rare.

I bet elven smiths start in their teens, they are rebellious elves which never leave their "heavy metal" period...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless it's a dramatic necessity for your entire character concept, don't use chainmail. Use either a chain shirt or a breastplate.

Compared to chain mail, breastplates have the same armor value, better max dex, less of an armor check penalty, less ASF, and 10 pounds lighter weight. And it's only 50 GP more. If you can swing 150 but not 200, get a chain shirt.

Real world note: chain mail stopped being used by itself real quick after plate mail became possible to manufacture. Breast plates were used well into the renaissance (conquistadors!) era. It's just plain better.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    It's probaby a hold over from a previous edition.
    Couldn't elven mages cast while in elven chain mail in 2nd edition?, or did i just made that up?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordRod View Post
    Couldn't elven mages cast while in elven chain mail in 2nd edition?, or did i just made that up?
    No, it was the few armors one can wear and cast arcane spells.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The really funny part is that the fantasy item which inspired Elven Chain Mail, Bilbo's mithril coat, was made by dwarves.

And yes, my spelling there is correct. The silvery miracle metal in Tolkien's stories was mithril; the substance in D&D which closely resembles it is mithral.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    The really funny part is that the fantasy item which inspired Elven Chain Mail, Bilbo's mithril coat, was made by dwarves.

And yes, my spelling there is correct. The silvery miracle metal in Tolkien's stories was mithril; the substance in D&D which closely resembles it is mithral.
    No surprise there, why do you think D&D has halflings instead of hobbits? Answer: because unlike a lot of the other things they "borrowed" when making D&D, the Tolkien estate protect their IP and would have sued them if they didn't change the names/spellings.

17. - Top - End - #17

*grumble grumble* ... first edition Dieties and Demigods w/ Elric and Cthulu...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Joe View Post
    *grumble grumble* ... first edition Dieties and Demigods w/ Elric and Cthulu...
    Cthulhu actually isn't protected by copyright. I don't know exactly how that happened.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

All this banter and no mention that Mithral Breastplate is yet better?
    Really, why do people bother with Elven Chain? 50 gp difference for... -5% ASP, +1 max dex, -1 armor check penalty overall in comparison is well worth it by the time mithral matters. Oh, and lighter too.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    Cthulhu actually isn't protected by copyright. I don't know exactly how that happened.
    Because they had Moorcock's copyrighted characters in there. "Smooth move, TSR-Lax."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post
    Come on, the greatest smith in modern fantasy (not the greatest character who is a smith; that'd be Conan) is an elf - Feanör. Elven smiths also forged the rings of power.
    I believe you're confusing this Feanor Elf with the Dwarves who forged Mjollnir...

All this banter and no mention that Mithral Breastplate is yet better?
    Really, why do people bother with Elven Chain? 50 gp difference for... -5% ASP, +1 max dex, -1 armor check penalty overall in comparison is well worth it by the time mithral matters. Oh, and lighter too.
    Because they're allured by the Elven Chain Male
    Last edited by Rutee; 2008-03-30 at 05:03 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutee View Post
    I believe you're confusing this Feanor Elf with the Dwarves who forged Mjollnir...
    It appears you're confusing Norse mythology with modern fantasy :o

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Ah, but The Hobbit states it was made for an elf. A young elven prince, actually. Also, mithril is distinctly an elven term. Others refer to it as 'silver-steel', 'true-silver', or 'Moria-silver'. Thus mithril is associated with elves, though the dwarves mine it from Moria.

So really, it makes sense for mithral to be associated with elves, not dwarves.

Also, D&D has devalued mithral in comparison to mithril. In The Fellowship of the Ring, Bilbo's mail is referred to as 'a kingly gift', and being more valuable than the entirety of the shire... which I'm sure is quite a bit more than 1,100gp.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Ah, but The Hobbit states it was made for an elf. A young elven prince, actually. Also, mithril is distinctly an elven term. Others refer to it as 'silver-steel', 'true-silver', or 'Moria-silver'. Thus mithril is associated with elves, though the dwarves mine it from Moria.

Also, D&D has devalued mithral in comparison to mithril. In The Fellowship of the Ring, Bilbo's mail is referred to as 'a kingly gift', and being more valuable than the entirety of the shire... which I'm sure is quite a bit more than 1,100gp.
    I dunno. Considering that the average person in the DnD world won't see more than a few gold pieces in their lifetimes...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Regardless, Bilbo's Mithril shirt was crafted by Dwarves, for that elven prince. (yet never delivered...) I'm fairly certain it was continually referred to as mithril because that's how most people referred to it, in most lands (only the Dwarves called it something else.)

The devaluation of Mithral compared to Mithril is true. It's probably because if they made Mithral as rare as Mithril, one character in any one campaign could have a mithral chain shirt. It just wouldn't work for gameplay.
    Play a wizard. Be the Goddamn Batman.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

By the time of LotR there is no new source of mithril; it could only be found in Moria (making it rare to start with) and it is not mined by the goblins so it's been available only through hoarding and recycling for however long the dwarves have been driven out of Khazad-dum. One assumes that in a typical D&D world it's available from more than one location and is still currently being mined. If you want to make it as rare in your campaign as it is at the start of the Fourth Age, then it shouldn't be available for gold at all, and the listed price should only factor into WBL calculations.

27. - Top - End - #27

It's usually better, monetary-wise, to get a Mith Breastplate, rather than a Mithral Shirt.

While yes, Breastplate costs 3k more for one AC, consider this.

You want an AC of 8 from your armor.

Breastplate requires +9k to achieve this.

Shirt requires +16k.

So while the shirt is initially more economical, the Breastplate is superior in the long run.
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    It appears you're confusing Norse mythology with modern fantasy :o
    Fantasy is fantasy, dood.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by senrath View Post
    I dunno. Considering that the average person in the DnD world won't see more than a few gold pieces in their lifetimes...
    Npc WBL has lvl 1 NPCs having 900gp worth of gear. Most of that for a commoner would likely be in the form of property, such as the family farm. That means that so long as the shire has at least 2 people in it, it is worth more than Bilbo's shirt. Actually, it is referred to as a 'coat', so one could argue that it would be chainmail, not a chain shirt, so it would be 4150, which means that the shire would have to have only 5 occupants.

Quote Originally Posted by ashmanonar View Post
    I'm fairly certain it was continually referred to as mithril because that's how most people referred to it, in most lands (only the Dwarves called it something else.)
    The dwarves called it 'Moria-silver'. Most others called it 'True-silver'. The narration in the hobbit refers to it as 'silver-steel'. Only Elves and those who spend a lot of time with elves (Gandalf, Aragorn, Bilbo, etc.) refer to it as mithril.

The fact of the matter is that the particular item in question is only mentioned on a handful of pages. Two in The Hobbit, 4 or 5 in The Fellowship of the Ring, and two in The Return of the King. The idea of it lives on much more than the actuality. Besides, D&D is 'Tolkien-inspired', not 'Tolkien-complete-copied'.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    By the time of LotR there is no new source of mithril; it could only be found in Moria (making it rare to start with) and it is not mined by the goblins so it's been available only through hoarding and recycling for however long the dwarves have been driven out of Khazad-dum. One assumes that in a typical D&D world it's available from more than one location and is still currently being mined. If you want to make it as rare in your campaign as it is at the start of the Fourth Age, then it shouldn't be available for gold at all, and the listed price should only factor into WBL calculations.
    Yes, that is true. Surely there must be other veins of Mithril somewhere else in the world, just not in Middle-Earth. I wonder of it is a byproduct of the Balrog? Perhaps it is the reaction of some magical radiation put off my fallen Maiar (or are they Valar? I always get mixed up) on normal silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Signmakerens View Post
    It's usually better, monetary-wise, to get a Mith Breastplate, rather than a Mithral Shirt.

While yes, Breastplate costs 3k more for one AC, consider this.

You want an AC of 8 from your armor.

Breastplate requires +9k to achieve this.

Shirt requires +16k.

So while the shirt is initially more economical, the Breastplate is superior in the long run.
    By the time the Breastplate becomes more economical, Greater Magic Vestment is readily available enough to eliminate the need for more than the +1 needed to add special abilities.
    Last edited by fendrin; 2008-03-30 at 10:58 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutee View Post
    Fantasy is fantasy, dood.
    All fantasy isn't modern fantasy though :P
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-03-30 at 10:58 AM.