New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Monk Weapons

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Monk Weapons

Should the list be expanded to include certain exotic weapons? Should the weapons on the existing list be updated to be more effective? This really isn't about the class itself so much as what everyone thinks would be an approriate addition to the "kung fu" expert's arsonal, yet currently is not. After watching the history channel for a few nights running, I'm still debating with myself over the value of the yo-yo and the flying guillotine. However, I think that items such as the sectional staff would be a really cool thematic addition to the flavor of the list. What say you?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Monk Weapons

The monk has great flavor, and many of their traditional weapons are included in expansions as monk weapons. Monks just need effective weapons, which they don't have right now.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Secrets of Sarlona has lots of good new monk weapons, including the spinning sword, which is like a spiked chain on steroids.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Except that you can't trip with it (If you could it would be the perfect weapon, period).

The ECS has the whirling steel strike feat that lets you use a longsword as a monk weapon, which is kind of nice. And there's one for the two-bladed sword too.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Oriental adventures has a lot of monk weapons as well. What I cannot understand though is why a monk would use any of them in lieu of her unarmed strike unless they were fighting something with crazy DR.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Monks need a weapon that can be flurried two-handed. Not light weapons, not double weapons.

That's it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

SilentNight brings up a good point. I just figured monk weapons did whichever was higher between weapon damage or unarmed damage. Heck, one could argue for them to do both I suppose. I wish I had more of my books here as opposed to states away. I forgot about the OA book.

Also, stealing a bit from the passed out Drunken Master a bit here, but wouldn't improvised weapons be a neat addition? Lots of Jackie Chan styled antics open up that way.
    Last edited by Hadrian_Emrys; 2008-04-01 at 09:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Mostly monks use weapons for the +5/flaming, shocking, frost, sonic etc bonuses, which actually do end up adding up to more than the monk's base damage from unarmed.

Unless they've been hit with Giant Size and do damage on the colossal size table... But that's rather unlikely.