Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default shelgarn's paired trauma (spell)

shelgarn's persistent blade from nwn is an evocation spell, which i've never really understood. wouldn't it be a conjure (creation)?

Shelgarn’s Paired Trauma
    Evocation
    Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 7
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: Standard Act
    Range: Short
    Effect: Summoned maul and dire pick
    Duration: 1 minute/2 levels
    Saving Throw: Special
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell, one of Shelgarn’s improvements on the persistent blade, summons both a floating maul and a floating dire pick that faithfully attack your enemies. Both are adamantine weapons with +2 magical enchantments, attack with a 20 Strength (+5), utilize your saving throws and armor class, and use your caster level as their base attack bonus. The weapons have a flight speed of 60 feet (good), and will vanish if separated from you by more than short range. They will position themselves between you and a designated foe if left to their own devices, or as directed by you.

Once the weapons have designated a foe, or you have directed them to a foe, they will concentrate all attacks against that foe until it is slain, or they are directed to a new target. Other than that, the weapons will never split their attacks between opponents, not even for an attack of opportunity. If both weapons hit a creature in the same round, it must succeed at a Fortitude save or be dazed until the beginning of your next turn. The weapons also gain a +4 bonus to both attack and damage rolls when sundering.

Dire Pick (med) 1d8 (x4) Piercing

Maul (med) 1d10 (x3) Bludgeoning

Both weapons have 3 hit points/caster level, hardness 20, and ignore up to 20 hardness when sundering objects.
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2008-04-04 at 12:36 AM.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: shelgarn's paired trauma (spell)

shelgarn's persistent blade from nwn is an evocation spell, which i've never really understood. wouldn't it be a conjure (creation)?
    i suppose i have never looked closely enough at persistent blade to see if it did force damage, but i could swear it just summons a normal dagger...

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The actual spell is more like Mage's/Mordenkainen's Sword, see the SRD. They're evocation because they use magical force, when conjurations usually are supposed to be summoning non-magical materials to do damage. Not that that stops the Orb of Force spell, which creates a non-magical orb of magical force that can strike through an antimagic field.

The one in NWN is instead a summoning spell, since it would have taken a lot more effort for them to model the sword spells, and it also sucks so hard when compared to summon creature I (badger).

Edit: also, unlike Mage's Sword, the actual Persistant Blade does get to flank, and lasts something like 1 round/2 levels. I'm not sure if it was level 1 or 2, but I know that once again there were much better options.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2008-04-04 at 06:18 PM.
    Attention Imgur Users! Imgur apparently doesn't like hosting images anymore and only works in certain places or for people who already have the image cached: No one can see your avatars or images!
    Also Photobucket users? Don't know if it's a bandwidth or region lock or something, but I'm seeing some avatars blurred out with a watermark that looks like the photobucket icon.
    And Tinypic went down a while back, seeing plenty of old avatars showing their downed image.
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

i agree that the nwn version is pretty weak. however, it is still a very cool idea, and that is why i created this spell, to take advantage of the theme. summoning badgers is cool, but doesn't fit all character types, including the one that this was made for.

any other thoughts?

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns