New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Question Helps needed for Skill Mastery ability

Skill Mastery

The rogue becomes so certain in the use of certain skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions.

Upon gaining this ability, she selects a number of skills equal to 3 + her Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check with one of these skills, she may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so. A rogue may gain this special ability multiple times, selecting additional skills for it to apply to each time.

Ok, I got that it's nice ability, but I'm not sure about "take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so" part. Which skills are the skills that I cannot take 10 in stress or distraction? Could you give me examples, or lists, of those kind of skills?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Helps needed for Skill Mastery ability

"Taking Ten" means essentially you do something twice, without the punishment for rolling low. That's why it takes twice as long usually. Most skills you cannot Take Ten if threatened. There are some, but the list of ones you can is shorter than the list of ones where you can't, IIRC.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3

Example: Disable device can't, I believe, have 10 taken. Same with Move Silently and Hide.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

How about Open Lock, Search/Spot/Listen? I can choose total of 5...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Tumble is a good one, you can't take ten normally... but with skill mastery you cartwheel around all the dragons with ease!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Use Magic Device!!!! this is the kicker for me, you can now pull the whacky reliably and in combat.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Taking 10

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, calculate your result as if you had rolled a 10. For many routine tasks, taking 10 makes them automatically successful. Distractions or threats (such as combat) make it impossible for a character to take 10. In most cases, taking 10 is purely a safety measure —you know (or expect) that an average roll will succeed but fear that a poor roll might fail, so you elect to settle for the average roll (a 10). Taking 10 is especially useful in situations where a particularly high roll wouldn’t help.
    By that statement, you can't take 10 on any skill check in combat. Try tying a fancy knot while under fire. Not very easy.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Use Magic Device!!!! this is the kicker for me, you can now pull the whacky reliably and in combat.
    If you get Skill Mastery in UMD, then stress will no longer prevent you from taking 10, but the unreliable nature of magic will still prevent you. What you need for UMD is something like the Warlock's Deceive Device ability.

Back to the OP, you can't take 10 on any skill at all when threatened. The real question when picking your Skill Mastery skills is, which skills are you likely to try to use when you're threatened? You probably won't try to weave baskets in the middle of a battle, so Craft (Basketweaving) is probably a waste for Skill Mastery. On the other hand, it is often useful to try to tumble in combat, so skill mastery in Tumble might be a good idea.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    "Taking Ten" means essentially you do something twice, without the punishment for rolling low. That's why it takes twice as long usually. Most skills you cannot Take Ten if threatened. There are some, but the list of ones you can is shorter than the list of ones where you can't, IIRC.
    Taking ten takes the same amount of time as rolling.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    If you get Skill Mastery in UMD, then stress will no longer prevent you from taking 10, but the unreliable nature of magic will still prevent you. What you need for UMD is something like the Warlock's Deceive Device ability.
    I believe that taking 10 with UMD using skill mastery is possible, given that the artificer gets skill mastery (UMD) as a bonus feat. I've never seen any reference for "unreliable nature of magic" stopping you.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by neochaos View Post
    Which skills are the skills that I cannot take 10 in stress or distraction?
    ALL skills. You can't Take 10 if you're under stress or distracted ( = combat). Skill Mastery allows you to Take 10 on the selected skills in combat (or when otherwise under attack; still, in fact, in combat).

Hide, Move Silently, Tumble, Spot, and Listen are good choices. Open Lock and Search aren't - you rarely use those skills in the heat of combat, and in fact usually Take 20 (especially at lower levels).