New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default A quick and stupid question.

Ok.

I'm trying to be more of a rules stickler than I usually am. My question is simple. Are monsterous humanoids still valid targets for spells and effects that only affect humanoids. My gut instinct says yes, because monsterous or not, they're still humanoid. It's been that way in pretty much every game I've ever been involved in, but I'm trying to find a more concrete support for it.

Does anyone have any.

The best I can come up with right now is in the creatures-as-characters entries. If a playable creature has a type that alters the way it reacts to certains effects, the books usually make a note of it. The playable monsterous humanoids don't have that text box attached in any source I've seen.

Now to continue that line of reasoning to the crux of the problem. If effects that target "any Humanoid" also affect Monsterous humanoids, do powers such as a Change Shape that allows transformation into "any humanoid" also allow transformation into monsterous humanoids?

Any evidence one way or the other that anyone knows about?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A quick and stupid question.

Look at the types in the SRD (link in Handy Haversack). Monstrous Humanoid is a different type than humanoid.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Join the PrC creation contest!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DonThelonious
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dman11235 View Post
    Look at the types in the SRD (link in Handy Haversack). Monstrous Humanoid is a different type than humanoid.
    Which is to say, no. Effects that target only Humanoids only work on Humanoids, not just anything with Humanoid in its name. Type distinctions are quite specific and clear in the rules.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

And if you need proof, check out the the Thri-kreen Pc entry in the XPH. The second item says

Quote Originally Posted by XPH
    Montrous Humanoid: Thri-kreen are not subject to spells or abiities that target humanoids only, such as [snip]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    And if you need proof, check out the the Thri-kreen Pc entry in the XPH. The second item says
    thanks.

That's the stuff I was looking for but couldn't find