New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The most useless spells.

I was looking through Sorceror spells today, when I ran into a seventh level spell that I simply couldn't figure out an use for. Some of you may guess it.

That's right. Instant Summons.

Let's sum it up. It's a seventh level spell. It requires to use another spell, and a 1000 gp sapphire, and what does it do? You can summon an item to your hand - sounds handy, right? Like, when you lose your spellbook, you can use it to summon a back-up, right?

Not quite. First of all, anything that gets your spellbook - say, for example through Tomb of Horror-esque trick - gets the sapphire. Which is required to summon the item. And which is apparently fragile enough to be crushed by the muscles of a mage.

But hey, this could be handy in a case, say, someone steals your spellbook! Again! But this time, you've inscribed the Arcane Mark on you original spellbook! Now you can do the ha-ha! on your would-be thief!

Right?

Wrong. You can't summon the item if it's in the possession of another creature. I mean, c'mon, what spell could be more filled with suck than that? I honestly can't come up with any remotely useful way of using it. And this is a seventh level spell! For goodness sake. It's right next to Spell Turning and Mage's Magnificent Mansion.

Now, what other sucky spells are out there, completely out of their league and useless?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The most useless spells.

Hold Portal?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I used this in a homebrew in combination with teleport Object to make a spellbook enchancement that it can be summoned and replaced once per day from wherever it is, no more worrying about it when it's locked up safe and sound in the biggest safe buried under your tower on anouther continent. Other than that yes, its more than a little sucky.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Flare! A useless spell when compared to the dynamo that it must share a spell level with: Prestidigitation.

A -1 to attack rolls for 1 minute, requiring a save and susceptible to spell resistance, to one creature OR flavor my morning oatmeal to taste like lobster. Is there really a competition?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Detect Undead.

60 Ft cone? Concentration +1min/LvL? hooray, you spot the zombie before he catches you, that sneaky bastard.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Falrin View Post
    Detect Undead.

60 Ft cone? Concentration +1min/LvL? hooray, you spot the zombie before he catches you, that sneaky bastard.
    Best part: Detect Evil will also Detect pretty much any undead, and other things, and it's the same spell level.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"If the item is in the possession of another creature, the spell does not work, but you know who the possessor is and roughly where that creature is located when the summons occurs"

Well you would know who had your spell book were it is at, ect....
    And A nice thing for the lost wedding rings and car keys and other things you lose alot.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Falrin View Post
    Detect Undead.

Best part: Detect Evil will also Detect pretty much any undead, and other things, and it's the same spell level.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Tenser's Floating Disk.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Tenser's Floating Disk.
    Dude...don't mock the disk. I thought it was useless at first too but my group has come up with all sorts of interesting uses for it. Not one of which was 'Swoop over the toiling hired workers/slave labor screeching profanity and threatening with arcane doom'
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Dude...don't mock the disk. I thought it was useless at first too but my group has come up with all sorts of interesting uses for it. Not one of which was 'Swoop over the toiling hired workers/slave labor screeching profanity and threatening with arcane doom'
    Except that it can't float more than a few feet off the ground.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Midget slaves, I take it?
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Except that it can't float more than a few feet off the ground.
    But it can float over pressure switches, trip wires, and other traps. Very useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    If everything else fails, order Majora's mask to drop the moon on them. The night elves will be especially suprised at this.
    Thanks to _Puppetmaster_ for my avatar

Hylian of the church of Link's hat.

My Zelda related homebrews!
    Other homebrews:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Hidden Flame (monster)
    The Sword Of Stone (Artifact)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Tenser's disk is awesome. Recently, we were fighting something that stayed underwater (we were in a cave) and our warmage made the disk, put the bard on it, and had him float above where we knew the creature was and whirling blade. Not to mention I was transported across the water without exposing myself to getting grappled by the thing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think virtue is really useless. 1 temporary hp is an increase by 10 to 20% for 1st level wizards or rogues, but you probably drop after the first hit anyway.
    I'd rather prepare one additional Light spell.

16. - Top - End - #16

I remember a one-shot evil party my group once played.. We had an overweight goblin sorcerer who had a constant Tenser's Floating Disc effect to sustain his bloated body - his legs were crippled and couldn't. Pretty visually impressive concept in it's own freaky way, I guess (think Baron Harkonnen).

As for the topic: I always thought Nystul's Magic Aura was pretty lame. Ditto on Tenser's Floating Disc, Misdirection (2nd level spell for something so ludicrously situational?), Fire Trap (it's a nice idea, but 1d4+1/level on a 4th level spell that you can't even cast directly at something?) and Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer (OK, not 100% useless, but has anyone used this? Seriously?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

I've never understood Virtue, myself. I always feel like it should have some hidden secret useage, like how Cure Minor Wounds is an auto stabilize. But I've never found that use.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Tenser's Floating Disk isn't worthless, exactly... It's just useful so seldom (especially compared to other spells) that you'd never actually prepare it, and certainly not use one of your precious Spells Known on it as a sorcerer. A Warmage is about the only class that ever would have good reason to use it (since it's automatically available anyway).

And don't knock Magic Aura or Fire Trap. Magic Aura means that you don't light up like a Christmas tree under Detect Magic, which is essential for any character trying to be subtle, and it can be used in some great swindles. And Fire Trap isn't meant to be cast in combat; it has a duration of "permanent until discharged", so you cast it on the things you want to protect during your downtime, when you're just resting up between adventures. Also note that it doesn't harm the object it's warding, which makes it one of the best protections available for your spellbook, until you're able to craft magic item traps for it.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Phantom Trap.
    Second level spell- you make someone THINK there is a trap. Really... that's kind of useless. Maybe level 1, I could see, but by the time level 2 spells come around you, as an untrained wizard, could likely set up a real trap with a craft skill and your intelligence modifier, or possibly with the use of another spell.
    Why bother making someone think there is a trap when you can make a REAL trap? It's not like you're wasting gold- Phantom Trap requires 50 gp to cast.

Gentle Repose
    Sure, it's a handy spell, but is it really worth a second/third level spell slot? No. It makes corpses stink less (albeit in a more complex fashion). Sure, it's still used, but that's only because there isn't another method. It's not something that is good for its level.

Minor Creation.
    You can... um... honestly, I can't think of a good use for this spell. Major creation? Yes. But temporary wood and vegetable matter creations that you have to use a craft check to make anything interesting out of (and with a casting time of one minute) kind of limits the use of this spell.
    Best use? Create Door Stop. This is fourth level- a little more versatility would be nice.

Secret Chest.
    You... hide... something. For sixty days. In an expensive chest. At 5th level. The only real use it has is to screw up some evil baddy's plans by tossing something in the chest, then chopping the mini chest focus in half so it is "irretrievably lost." Oh wait, you can actually mount an expedition to find it, so "irretrievable" is a misuse of the word, apparently. Granted, it might take them a while, but you might as well take a bag of holding, put said object in and stab said bag of holding to lose it. It would even be less expensive, and you wouldn't waste a spell slot.
    Bleh. Bad spell.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Nystul's Magic Aura is an awesome tool against the PCs to give them the wrong idea of what items they've acquired, to sell them junk, and to overall empty their purses. Also, it's a great tool for selling Mount-summoned Horses for cash and overall for all sorts of scams. Oh, and it's a fine way of hiding the magically infused PCs from Arcane Sight/Detect Magic-variants. The spell is definitely one of the most versatile non-combat spells out there; I'd never leave it out of my spellbook.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Nystul's Magic Aura is an awesome tool against the PCs to give them the wrong idea of what items they've acquired, to sell them junk, and to overall empty their purses. Also, it's a great tool for selling Mount-summoned Horses for cash and overall for all sorts of scams. Oh, and it's a fine way of hiding the magically infused PCs from Arcane Sight/Detect Magic-variants. The spell is definitely one of the most versatile non-combat spells out there; I'd never leave it out of my spellbook.
    Exactly. In a magic-heavy campaign I was in a while back, it was the smuggler's bread and butter. (there was a lot of magic, but it was all very tightly regulated.) We made a mint using this spell to get black market magic items into and out of cities.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Gentle Repose
    Sure, it's a handy spell, but is it really worth a second/third level spell slot? No. It makes corpses stink less (albeit in a more complex fashion). Sure, it's still used, but that's only because there isn't another method. It's not something that is good for its level.
    This one, I don't have a problem with.

Secret Chest.
    You... hide... something. For sixty days. In an expensive chest. At 5th level. The only real use it has is to screw up some evil baddy's plans by tossing something in the chest, then chopping the mini chest focus in half so it is "irretrievably lost." Oh wait, you can actually mount an expedition to find it, so "irretrievable" is a misuse of the word, apparently. Granted, it might take them a while, but you might as well take a bag of holding, put said object in and stab said bag of holding to lose it. It would even be less expensive, and you wouldn't waste a spell slot.
    Bleh. Bad spell.
    Ah, but you can't have a Bag of Holding without Secret Chest.

But yes, pretty much the only real use for Secret Chest is so your party Wizard can Craft some Handy Haversacks and Bags of Holding.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Minor Creation.
    You can... um... honestly, I can't think of a good use for this spell. Major creation? Yes. But temporary wood and vegetable matter creations that you have to use a craft check to make anything interesting out of (and with a casting time of one minute) kind of limits the use of this spell.
    Best use? Create Door Stop. This is fourth level- a little more versatility would be nice.
    There is one use, but I'm not sure how it would rank as far as cheese goes. How high are the DCs for crafting poison?
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

24. - Top - End - #24

I don't agree. Minor Creation can be very nice. See, it does require craft checks. And I agree, that's kind of bad - it should waive that unless the craft DC is over a certain number, or give a craft bonus, or some such thing. But with a wizard, you've got a decent chance to succeed - so, what use is this then? It should really be called "Summon Mundane Item". Now, a lot of people hate mundane items, and ignore them. I've got bit of a MacGyver streak, and I've played the Tome of Horrors, so I love mundane items - and being able to make almost anything off the mundane EQ list is, for me, a huge asset.

My 2cp, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Minor Creation.
    The arcane version does suck, but it has it's uses. Mostly involving large quantities of vegtable oil and fire or large quantities of poison.

The psionic version is infinitely more useful, since it's a first level power. Instant bridges, rope, ladders, etc.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by streakster View Post
    I don't agree. Minor Creation can be very nice. See, it does require craft checks. And I agree, that's kind of bad - it should waive that unless the craft DC is over a certain number, or give a craft bonus, or some such thing. But with a wizard, you've got a decent chance to succeed - so, what use is this then? It should really be called "Summon Mundane Item". Now, a lot of people hate mundane items, and ignore them. I've got bit of a MacGyver streak, and I've played the Tome of Horrors, so I love mundane items - and being able to make almost anything off the mundane EQ list is, for me, a huge asset.

My 2cp, anyway.
    Summon pot.

Sell pot.

Make profit, repeat until desired result is achieved.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Summon pot.

Sell pot.

Step 1: Cast Minor Creation
    Step 2: ???
    Step 3: Profit!
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

Summon pot.

Sell pot.

I'll bet Pot isn't the drug of choice in D&D.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-04-05 at 04:16 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Many of the spells mentioned here are situational spells that are useful for a wizard during downtime (you won't be preparing them if you expect combat) and probably not worth the slot for a sorcerer.

Nystul's Magic Aura - useful for con artists and trader types, and if I had a residence somewhere I'd cast this on absolutely everything just to annoy visiting warlocks. I seem to recall the 2E version was permanent.

Likewise, during downtime you can go nuts protecting everything you own with Fire Traps, and drive visiting thieves nuts by throwing Phantom Traps liberally around in your home (and don't forget to add a few real traps, of course).

I've made good use of Mnemonic Enhancer during days where having not enough spells, or not the right spells, as a wizard would be problematic.

Minor Creation is completely awesome. The craft checks are only required for complex items, and arguably a rope, basic weapon, or similar practical object doesn't count as complex. Well, it is too high level, but still nice.

Secret Chest is very useful for the stylish traveling wizard who has more luggage than he could carry. It's slightly too high in level, again, but the only reason this spell isn't useful in 3E is because of the idea that everybody can buy any magic item they want from the market at any time.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

In the last campaign I was in, my DM really liked to put the party in jail. If we played for one more level, my sorcerer would have had Major Creation. One casting of Major Creation would put a brand new adamantine battle axe in Rex Irongroin's cell, and probably kill most of our jailers. I think that's a plenty good use of a spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I'll bet Pot isn't the drug of choice in D&D.
    I bet the drug of choice is still plant matter.