New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Druid Armor

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Druid Armor

I often hear references of Druids wearing a suit of Dragonhide Full-Plate.

Wouldn't this require taking a level of some class that offers heavy armor proficiency? Or burning a feat on it?

Or am I mistaken?
    Last edited by Crow; 2008-04-07 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Druid Armor

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post

Wouldn't this require taing a level of some class that offers heavy armor proficiency? Or burning a feat on it?

Or am I mistaken?
    You are not mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

1 level of fighter grants a bonus feat, the ability to wear full plate of various materials according to your preference, and the ability to use an animated tower shield.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

If I'm not mistaken, there's a dragonhide full plate in the Dracominicon that's medium armor; medium and heavy armor crafted from dragonhide counts as one class lighter than ordinary items of that fashion.
    ~Joe

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post

Wouldn't this require taking a level of some class that offers heavy armor proficiency? Or burning a feat on it?

Or am I mistaken?
    You're not mistaken. There might be a specific Dragonhide Fullplate out there somewhere that's treated as medium, but by default, the only game-mechanical benefit of Dragonhide over regular armor is that it's a non-metal that can be treated like a metal for most armors - which means Druids can use it to make the better forms of armors.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

I prefer glassteel for mine. Nothing like flaunting what mother nature gave you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks all! I thought I may have missed something, but I'm glad I had it right. I appreciate the clarification.
    Last edited by Crow; 2008-04-07 at 07:02 PM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone can wear any armor at all, with or without proficiency. You just take the armor check penalty to a bunch of rolls (more than normal) if you're wearing an armor you're not proficient with. But your armor melds into your form when you wildshape, so the armor check penalty goes away, so nonproficiency wouldn't actually have an effect. Meanwhile, if the armor has the Wild property, it does still grant you its armor bonus in wildshape, even though it doesn't impose its armor check penalty.

No, this is probably not what the designers intended, and yes, it would be a good idea to houserule otherwise. But by RAW, it works.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, why are you wearing Dragonhide Full Plate? Pick up Wilding Dragonhide Dwarven Mountain Plate. Then watch the DM cry.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Yeah, why are you wearing Dragonhide Full Plate? Pick up Wilding Dragonhide Dwarven Mountain Plate. Then watch the DM cry.
    Why the hell would the DM cry when he can instead banhammer your ass by just houseruling you to take -10 to all rolls? I mean, that makes more sense and that's fully within his power to do.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Why the hell would the DM cry when he can instead banhammer your ass by just houseruling you to take -10 to all rolls? I mean, that makes more sense and that's fully within his power to do.
    Orly? Read this part:
    The wearer of a suit of armor or a shield with this ability preserves his armor bonus (and any enhancement bonus) while in a wild shape. Armor and shields with this ability usually appear to be made covered in leaf patterns. While the wearer is in a wild shape, the armor cannot be seen.
    Since the armor disappears without the Wild property and grants neither bonus nor penalty, sticking it with the Wild property only grants the bonus, not the penalty, since you're not actually wearing the armor anymore.
    Last edited by senrath; 2008-04-08 at 08:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Take one level of a PrC that grants heavy armor proficiency and spellcasting progression, like Dragonslayer. Or buy Chitin heavy armor, which counts as medium armor, which Druids have proficiency in.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    It's called the Oberani fallacy for a reason. The DM can also houserule that rocks fall everyone dies, but that doesn't matter for the purposes of real discussion.