New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Question regarding improving natural psi abilities

So, in my Suggest me a character thread, I've more or less settled on a character who is both psychic and Tome of Battle (a Githerzerai Swordsage... with maybe a level of Monk).

However, I have a question regarding improving natural psi abilities by expending power points that I would like some help on. My Githerzerai has a power Concussion which, I am assuming, refers to "Concussion Blast". It normally costs 3 PSPs, but he gets 3 free activations a day. Since he's 4th level, and he can only spend as many points on an ability as he has levels, can he spend 1 PSP on it (which does nothing, but would bring its theoretical cost up to 4), or 2 (his maximum, and enough to improve it)?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Question regarding improving natural psi abilities

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, in my Suggest me a character thread, I've more or less settled on a character who is both psychic and Tome of Battle (a Githerzerai Swordsage... with maybe a level of Monk).

However, I have a question regarding improving natural psi abilities by expending power points that I would like some help on. My Githerzerai has a power Concussion which, I am assuming, refers to "Concussion Blast". It normally costs 3 PSPs, but he gets 3 free activations a day. Since he's 4th level, and he can only spend as many points on an ability as he has levels, can he spend 1 PSP on it (which does nothing, but would bring its theoretical cost up to 4), or 2 (his maximum, and enough to improve it)?
    Psi-like abilities are only naturally augmented: you can't spend your power points on them.

Naturall Augmentation means: it naturally augments itself for free up to your Racial manifester level (usually 1/2 HD).
    Nope, you aren't 4th level manifester. I just checked it was 1/2 HD= racial manifester for Gith (either type).

Even though, you normally could manifest Concussion blast with power points: you still do with racial Psi-like powers. So until you reach level 8, you deal minimum Concussion damage 1d6 damage.
    The Reason is your manifester won't be 4 till level 8.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

OK, thanks.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

What if a psi-like ability emulates a power that can be augmented in multiple ways? Some powers, for instance, can be augmented by 1 to increase the bonus, or be augmented by 4 to be manifested as an immediate action. Can the creature with the ability choose which way it gets automatically augmented? Is the choice made once, or can it be different for each use of the ability?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    What if a psi-like ability emulates a power that can be augmented in multiple ways? Some powers, for instance, can be augmented by 1 to increase the bonus, or be augmented by 4 to be manifested as an immediate action. Can the creature with the ability choose which way it gets automatically augmented? Is the choice made once, or can it be different for each use of the ability?
    page 184, Psi-like abilities, XPH (Expanded Psionics Handbook) says yes, you make the choice each time you manifest it.

Same as manifesting a power really.