Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

tongue Pokemon spoofing: I blame the related tabletop thread

Edit: The Catch ability.

Take:
    1 part: thread about a pokemon themed character
    1 part: group wanting to play a silly lvl 6+ evil game
    mix under the influence of strong drink and...

I'm currently homebrewing a campaign, and class, to amuse my players with a game that spoofs pokemon. The point of this thread is to give me a place to post my progress AND to get input from the playground community at large. I don't have much that is PEACHworthy at the moment though. I got a bit pre-occupied with writing the introduction to the setting, the nature of the mysterious Giovanni, and the infamous "Pocket Team" lead by the (animated) bike riding Jesse James. The bit of history about Jesse's companion: Meowth (the Commoner mass murderer) is still in the concept stage.

PEACHable stuff:
    Catch:
    Casting Time: Instant Action
    Range: Close (25 feet + 5 feet/2 class levels)
    Area or Target: One creature.
    Duration: 3 rounds, permanent.
    Saving Throw: Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Cha)
    Spell Resistance: No.
    Effect: Roll a d20. If the result equals (or is lower than) your class level, target creature rolls a Will save. If the creature fails the save and is dropped to lower than 1 hit point (or killed) within 3 rounds, they are (instead) transported to a pocket plane within your Index Crystal. Creatures transported in this way are permanently bound to your direct control until they are “Released”. While within an anti-magic field, you are denied all access to creatures within the Crystal. You may use Catch a number of times per day equal to your class level plus your Cha mod.

This SLA is a rough draft of two possible first level abilities of the homebrew Master class. Any advice, input, and suggestions as a whole would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Hadrian_Emrys; 2008-04-12 at 04:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokemon spoofing: I blame the related tabletop thread

Looks like.. "fun".

3. - Top - End - #3

I know it's silly, but the group is eating up the concept. As a DM, it IS my job to cater to them right?

Oh who am I kidding? I'm doing it because it's silly and brings back fond memories from my childhood.
    Spoiler
    Show

Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

So, is this ment to interact with existing monsters?
    That could get broken very quickly.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    So, is this ment to interact with existing monsters?
    That could get broken very quickly.
    I agree and disagree with you. Your chance of success is less than 5% at level 1 due to the level check required. Add to that a will save that's harder than usual (10+lvl+cha rather than 10+˝lvl+cha) meaning that creatures will often fail their save against it. The whole thing hinges on making the level check and then killing/incapacitating the enemy. At higher levels the lvl check becomes easier and easier, hitting maximum 100% success rate at level 20.

I would suggest the level check should beat your level +5 (for making the check possible at lower levels) and making the save 10+˝lvl+cha (so that the creatures have a shot at making their save).
    This means you have a 30% chance at making the lvl check at lvl 1 and the enemy have a ~50% shot at making its save, making for an overall 15% chance of success at level 1. At level 10, the chance of success would be 25%, at level 15 the chance would normalize at 50% and stay that way.

However, to prevent this thing from being cast over and over again I would suggest one of the following changes: The ability can only affect a creature once per encounter or per day (if they make their save they're in the clear... for now...), you meed a costly material component (pokéball), or the ability can only be used X times per encounter or day.

Also, do you have access to every single monster you ever caught at any given time? That could get broken. I would suggest only having access to a set number of monsters at any given time á la Pokémon. You could change your selection at an eldritch machine
    Don't take anything I say too seriously.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Norr View Post
    I agree and disagree with you. Your chance of success is less than 5% at level 1 due to the level check required. Add to that a will save that's harder than usual (10+lvl+cha rather than 10+˝lvl+cha) meaning that creatures will often fail their save against it. The whole thing hinges on making the level check and then killing/incapacitating the enemy. At higher levels the lvl check becomes easier and easier, hitting maximum 100% success rate at level 20.

I would suggest the level check should beat your level +5 (for making the check possible at lower levels) and making the save 10+˝lvl+cha (so that the creatures have a shot at making their save).
    This means you have a 30% chance at making the lvl check at lvl 1 and the enemy have a ~50% shot at making its save, making for an overall 15% chance of success at level 1. At level 10, the chance of success would be 25%, at level 15 the chance would normalize at 50% and stay that way.

However, to prevent this thing from being cast over and over again I would suggest one of the following changes: The ability can only affect a creature once per encounter or per day (if they make their save they're in the clear... for now...), you meed a costly material component (pokéball), or the ability can only be used X times per encounter or day.

Also, do you have access to every single monster you ever caught at any given time? That could get broken. I would suggest only having access to a set number of monsters at any given time á la Pokémon. You could change your selection at an eldritch machine
    1. So the first roll has to be less than, or equal to, your class level +5? I like that, I had be tring to think of a way to make it a little better than impossible to catch things at level 1. As for the Will save, it was supposed to be tough to beat, but I can see the balance issue. So DC = 10 + 1/2 class + Cha sounds like a fair swap for the higher chance of activation.

2. As for the spamming issue, I was thinking about tacking on the limitation of only being able to use this ability a number of times per encounter equal to your class level in addition to the high save. What kept me from adding it in, is the idea that this is a standard action, meaning you aren't really doing anything at all to the target for the round in which you use the ability anyway. Am I looking at it the wrong way? Would the high save be reasonable if such a limiter was in place?

3. For the first two levels, you only have access to your first "captured" creature, who becomes your Companion. It can have a CR no higher than your class level, and works like a cross betweeen a familiar and an animal companion, only without the ugly parts of both features. You can prepare a number of caught creatures to your "belt" at the beginning of each day equal to 1/3 your class level (rounded down). The given limit on power comes form the nature of one's control over creatures called from your "belt". You share actions. Thus, you both can make a move action, or it can take a standard while you make a move action, vice-versa, or one of you does nothing in the round while the other does a full-round worth of activities. I'd have the rough draft of the class posted, but the wording needs to be cleaned up in a bad way.

Edit: Thanks for the insight Norr. I really appreciate the unbiased perspective.
    Last edited by Hadrian_Emrys; 2008-04-10 at 01:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

You know, more it gets discussed, more I like it.

But, my quesiton remains unanswered: Is this meant to mesh with all existing monsters? Things can get broken when PCs command some creatures.
    Take the Efreet for instance. It can grant three wishes daily to any humanoid. If it's under your command...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I also remembered something recently. The duration of the 'catch-power' is =character level, meaning that you have more and more time to kill your catch as you advance. In the pokemon game, when you throw a ball to catch your enemy, it wiggles three times before coming to rest, during which time the pokemon can brake out and attack or flee (hate it when that happens).
    So depending on how close you want your game mechanics to be to the handheld game, you could do one of the following (from one extreme to the other):
    *Have the power be instantaneous and give the enemy a bonus/penalty to its will save based on ts remaining hp.
    *Have the power last only one round, during which you must kill the creature (when using this option the power wouldn't take effect until the beginning of your next turn)
    *Have the power last 3 rounds, to create a paralell between your game mechanic and the handheld game mechanic
    *Have the duration of the power be a function of your level, but reduced (1round/4, 3 or 2 levels)
    *Or keep the duration of 1round/level and ignore this post.
    This is just an idea I had, so I thought I would post it.

As usual, my sig applies to this post.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Norr View Post
    you meed a costly material component (pokéball)
    Better yet, have the base material component be inexpensive, but only work on creatures of up to X HD, say 5, or alternatively cap the Will save at a certain point, because no base Pokéball is going to be to catch Mewtwo, or say a Balor. Then have more expensive Material components (Super, Great, and Ultra respectively) that either up the cap or provide a bonus to the Save DC (or both), with ultra having no cap and/or say a +15(?) bonus on the DC.

Then have a Minor Artifact (Masterball) that is an auto-catch. It has to be minor because there are clearly more than one (one in each game in fact) but are very rare.

EDIT

Or better yet, have them all be woundrous items, with the regular Pokéball having the lowest possible CL requirement, and the others with higher CL requirements, but better effects. This makes the jump from Wondrous item to Minor Artifact much more plausible than a jump from mundane item with circumstance bonus to DC to Minor Artifact.
    Last edited by pup3k; 2008-04-12 at 12:03 PM.
    It is I, Pup3k!!!

"Verb, verb, verb, verb the adjective noun!

My beautiful Altaďr Sneakatar courtesy of Sneak.

10. - Top - End - #10

Collin: Yes, it's meant to work with existing monsters. However, since it's still in the drafting phase of class creation, problems like wish abuse don't have a set in stone solution as of yet. Although, one idea is to simply have a list of creatures for a DM to seriously consider avoiding the use of. In regards to wish, a possible balance is that some (if not all) of the effects of wishes cease (in a manner of DM discretion) the moment the creature is returned to your Index. There are a lot of kinks to iron out for this to work.

Norr: I like the idea of making it instant AND a three round timer, it gives much better odds of capture to lower level "Masters". I'm also thinking that the times per day issue should be class level + Cha.

In addition, I wonder if perhaps something to the tune of this formula would do the trick: If a creature's x ([hit die type + Con] divided by 2) times y (it's number of hit die) is less than or equal to it's current hp, they suffer z penalty.

pup3k: The original idea was to make the class item dependant (in regards to pokeballs). However, as I got to thinking about how much I dislike the importance of magic items in general, a fluff based way out formed itself in my mind. The powers stem from you, much like a sorceror's. All "Masters" are, in some way (distant or recent), connected to Giovanni's experients. How does this fix everything? Giovanni secretly is an insane Elder Brain god/demigod who's primary objective is to see the prime material plane inhabited by as diverse a populous of sentient creatures as possible. Why? Creatures (a.k.a. flavors) that have not been Released from your Index before you pass on, become Giovanni's next meal. This whole thing ties into a Master's other defining ability concept: the ability to advance, and/or add templates to, creatures within their Index. The extent, and limits, of this ability are still getting fleshed out. I like the idea a LOT though. Think along the lines of taking housecats, and "evolving" them different ways until you find combinations that scare CRxx foes. Something like how Eevee can become half a dozen different things should be crossing your mind about now.

P.S. Edited Catch some, still debating the hit point penalty and how to manage it.
    Last edited by Hadrian_Emrys; 2008-04-12 at 04:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Giovanni eats these creatures? So THAT explains why he wanted to catch so many rare pokemon...exotic meals!
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

12. - Top - End - #12

Isn't it a great way to blend the crunch and the fluff or a game that is both silly and gritty? As as side note, the only interaction the players ever get with "Giovanni" will be through the creature chosen to be born as the host body. The host will be a normal version of it's kind, complete with free will, until it manifests it's latent Master abilities. When that occurs, the creature gains all of the powers that Giovanni had as a mortal, at the cost of being completely subject to the Deity's will. This "Giovanni" has a horrifying set of monsters at it's call. I'm thinking Tarrasque, TPPDC, and (possibly Pun-Pun, because all threads go there at some point ) among others. "Giovanni" cares for nothing more than a steady diet of new beings, and thus, should rarely ever see play. DMs should not use a Giovanni to railroad, Gary/Mary Sue, or as a BBEG unless they are hosting a CharOp game or something.
    Last edited by Hadrian_Emrys; 2008-04-12 at 07:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian_Emrys View Post
    In addition, I wonder if perhaps something to the tune of this formula would do the trick: If a creature's x ([hit die type + Con] divided by 2) times y (it's number of hit die) is less than or equal to it's current hp, they suffer z penalty.
    From the SRD, the Dire wolf: x=12,5 ([hit die type (8)+ Con (17)] divided by 2) times y=6 (it's number of hit die) (x*y= 12,5*6= 75) is less than or equal to it's current hp (average max hp 45, max max hp 66), they suffer z penalty.

You might want to work on that equation, but I think you're on the right track. I believe it would be simpler to give the monster an x penalty for being below 75% full hp, 2x penalty for being below 50% and 3x penalty for being below 25% full hp. For a minor penalty x could be 1, for a more severe penalty x could be 2.
    There might even be a feat that increases the penalty to the monster.

Journeyman monster catcher (general):
    you are more adept at exploiting a monsters weakness during capture.
    Prerequisite: Catch ability
    Benefit: When a monster is below 25% full hp, it takes an additional -x penalty to its will save to resist your Catch ability.

Expert monster catcher (general):
    your ability to exploit a monsters weakness during capture becomes more apparent.
    Prerequisite: Journeyman monster catcher, Catch ability
    Benefit: When a monster is below 50% full hp, it takes an additional -x penalty to its will save to resist your Catch ability. This penalty overlaps (do not stack with) the penalty from Journeyman monster catcher.

Master monster catcher (general):
    you are a master at exploiting a monsters weakness during capture.
    Prerequisite: Expert monster catcher, Journeyman monster catcher, Catch ability
    Benefit: When a monster is below 75% full hp, it takes an additional -x penalty to its will save to resist your Catch ability. This penalty overlaps (do not stack with) the penalty from Expert monster catcher and Journeyman monster catcher.

GrandMaster monster catcher (epic):
    "I own you, I have the deed."
    Prerequisite: Master monster catcher, Expert monster catcher, Journeyman monster catcher, Catch ability, 21st level
    Benefit: All monsters take an additional -x penalty to its will save to resist your Catch ability. This penalty overlaps (do not stack with) the penalty from Master monster catcher, Expert monster catcher and Journeyman monster catcher.
    When a monster is below 50% full hp, it takes an additional -x penalty to its will save to resist your Catch ability. This penalty stacks with the penalty from Expert monster catcher.

Just a few thoughts from my cosy little corner

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Collin: Yes, it's meant to work with existing monsters. However, since it's still in the drafting phase of class creation, problems like wish abuse don't have a set in stone solution as of yet. Although, one idea is to simply have a list of creatures for a DM to seriously consider avoiding the use of. In regards to wish, a possible balance is that some (if not all) of the effects of wishes cease (in a manner of DM discretion) the moment the creature is returned to your Index. There are a lot of kinks to iron out for this to work.
    Consider the Troll.
    If your enemies can't use fire, acid, or posses the ability to fly, they can't take it down.
    It's like a grass type Shedninja that somehow became resistant to Ice.

Furthermore, because of its regeneration, it would be fairly simple to take this thing to unconciousness, then try and capture it. I think.
    The capturing ability needs a bit of refining, I think.
    Last edited by Collin152; 2008-04-13 at 07:18 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Norr: That IS food for thought. Once I figure out what a good starting point for what the penalty should be, I'll keep the feat style in mind.

Collin: True, but that's the trick of it all is it not? Much like the Batman philosophy, you'd have to be prepared. Unlike Batman, you lack divination to predict what's next. The day you add your twinked out troll to your "belt" could be the day the DM rocks the house with the godzilla of cryohydra. I really should hurry and post the rough draft of the class. A Master prepares his "belt" at the beginning of the day and, not knowing what's next (unless he gets a high enough level wizard to cough up the info), he may not have a single prepared creature to take on a challange at all. Unless I've failed to take something into account, it's a reasonable give and take.

Side note: Since a Master and it's creatures share actions, the Master is somewhat vulnerable. If a creature can't be taken down, you can try for the one pulling the strings. Once the Puppeteer is down, the creature returns to the "belt". Right now, the Master class is looking at 2/3 BAB, good Ref/Will saves, a d6 hit die, simple wep prof, and (maybe) light armor prof. Not exactly a combat beast.
    Last edited by Hadrian_Emrys; 2008-04-13 at 07:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Norr: That IS food for thought. Once I figure out what a good starting point for what the penalty should be, I'll keep the feat style in mind.

Collin: True, but that's the trick of it all is it not? Much like the Batman philosophy, you'd have to be prepared. Unlike Batman, you lack divination to predict what's next. The day you add your twinked out troll to your "belt" could be the day the DM rocks the house with the godzilla of cryohydra. I really should hurry and post the rough draft of the class. A Master prepares his "belt" at the beginning of the day and, not knowing what's next (unless he gets a high enough level wizard to cough up the info), he may not have a single prepared creature to take on a challange at all. Unless I've failed to take something into account, it's a reasonable give and take.
    Cryohydra wouldn't be much against mah Troll.
    This still looks fun.
    I'd totally play with a Troll, Medusa and Umber Hulk at my disposal.

17. - Top - End - #17

Oh, right. Acid and fire. I didn't have a brain fart there. No sir.

Still, the point (in the edit I made as you posted) remains. No matter how screwed up the monster in the fight is, the Master will always remain an ideal target. In any case, the more I think about it, the more fun it seems to get. The idea of a pack of Masters running about (I'm still trying to figure out how to work the idea of Gyms in this setting) battling mobs and each other amuses me to no end.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Gyms: Temples, each centered around a major artifact, immovable from its spot. By winning the right to contact this artifact, you gain a token of power signifting it's power. When you posses the tokens from each temple, you are entitled to attend a conference of the elite guardians who commune with Giovanni directly.
    Or something like that.

19. - Top - End - #19

I love you Collin. I'm all kinds of inspirationed now. I'm thinking that making it an epic, or near epic, optional side project suits. Something to do in between story arcs when you are in town perhaps.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I love you Collin.
    Wish I could say I'm taken, but as that's not the case, I should warn you not to say such things.
    Enchanters are not to be given ideas, my dear lad.

It does seem like a very high end thing. Gym leaders should all posses at least one dragon or outsider.
    The question is, how to theme each gym?
    By element?
    Done to death, and less intuitive with these monsters. By alignment? unusual, but workable.
    By bizzare themes like Death, Power, or Madness, like Cleric domains?
    THeres a thought.
    Last edited by Collin152; 2008-04-13 at 09:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pup3k View Post
    Then have a Minor Artifact (Masterball) that is an auto-catch. It has to be minor because there are clearly more than one (one in each game in fact) but are very rare.
    Correction: from G/S onward, if you won the in-game lottery (literally), you would get another Masterball... [/Poké maniac]

On topic: I really like this idea, even from outside of an OMG D&D POKÉMANS!1!One hundred Eleven!!!11 Perspective, although sadly, I’m not the kind of guy who knows much about game balance at this point, so I wish I could help out more... But still, it looks good, and I want to use it already!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

As this develops, it resembles pokémon less and less intrinsically, which is a good thing.
    I feel the means of capturing need not be spherical.

And I reserve the right to say incantations that may or may not be nesecary in order to call them out, and they will be needlesly long.

23. - Top - End - #23

Collin: Should I be worried? The damage is already done, I feel thoroughly enchanted already.

I have no clue how the GLs' readied creature lists will look, but I'm considering a minimum of 35 possible Gyms hidden throughout the material plane. Each one would be dedicated to the type or subtype fortified by the Relic being protected, and perhaps have a running theme to boot. For example: The Shapechanger (subtype) Gym could front as a spy network that, in turn, fronts as a trading company.

I'm considering the idea of "badges" granting stacking bonuses to every attribute of your Indexed creatures, so long as they share a type or subtype asscociated with the Gym a "badge" is earned from. This ties into the possible template adding abilities of the class as well as providing a built-in sidequest system for payers to request access to.

The fluff says that (given "his" undisclosed nature) Gio cares only for interesting creatures (to feed upon), and has set up a system to reward the efforts of those who take action to enact his will. The crunch matches this concept by the mechanics of the whole thing. The more types and subtypes Indexed creatures have, the greater their possible power above and beyond inherent template values.

The end result of the way this is all shaping up is to be a vague homage to the franchise, without trying to warp the D&D system in a futile attempt at direct translation. As for the drawn out incantations bit: I support the idea wholeheartedly, and encourage the addition of speaking them in latin. Doubly so if you are level 1. Boy will your party be miffed when they see the CR 1 result of what sounded like a 5 minute Catholic prayer.

DarknessLord: Thanks for the word of encouragement. It's nice to know one's efforts are appreciated.

Norr and Collin: For being so helpful with this project, would either of you like to claim a Gym Leader as a namesake?
    Last edited by Hadrian_Emrys; 2008-04-14 at 08:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

First:
    Whether or not you should be worried depends entirely on whether you believe I can truly cast such spells as Scrying, Suggestion, and Modify Memory. The last one perhaps not beign so nesecary, and perhaps not even the second one.
    And yes, I am aware you are male. THat is the entire point.

I like the idea of badges granting some manner of bonuses. As I recall they did that in at least some of the games.

And as for namesaking, I would be honored, though perhaps my surname could fit into settings more easily. Gifford versus Collin, I see no contest.

If ever I play with this thing, I think I will speciliase in incorporeal monsters.
    Just look at my avatar.
    And havign a wraith, spectre or shadow under my command without being a necromancer... ooh, the power.

Oh, and regarding control over the little buggers: Is it automatic and all encompassing? I find issuing commands to an intelligent creature a little odd. I could easily see the magics inhibiting their mind, but a sufficiently strong willed creature should resist control.

Which is more evil? Capturing a good creature (say, a lantern archon) or using an evil creature (say, a wraith) as a weapon?

How many times will I edit before a response?
    I don't suppose any monsters would claim "legendary" status?
    Where while technically many exist, even if they go questing for them, only one will ever be encountered by the PCs?
    I suppose the older Dragons would/could qualify, as could templated creatures.

Arcesso sordeo animas,
    Solicito iratus umbra,
    Vita destabilis unde,
    Valens en letum,
    Archa unde liberatio,
    Omnis Obruo.

Latin enough for you?
    Last edited by Collin152; 2008-04-14 at 10:54 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

What does that latin means?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    What does that latin means?
    Let me recall...
    Summon the vile spirit,
    Stir up the angry shadow,
    From detestable life,
    Power in Death,
    Relsease from your cell,
    Destroy Everything.

Obviously I don't actually know Latin, so that's just a rough approximation on both ends. But hey, it sounds like a nice incantation for summoning some kind of undead, possibly a Spectre or Allip.
    Last edited by Collin152; 2008-04-14 at 11:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Naming a gym leader after me? I'd be honored
    My namesake is a trickster all the way through, and I am quite fond of illusions myself. But there are few illusion-using monsters and certainly no subtype associated with them, so maybe psionic-type creatures would be a good choice for a trickster gym, either that or shapechangers.
    Needless to say, it would be all about messing with peoples heads, using fear and antipathies, ghost sounds, invisibility, decoys and generally being a pain to find. Think the poison gym form pkmn red/blue with the invisible walls and that gym from another pkmn game where everything is pitch black and you can't see where you're going.
    The perfect monster for the gym would, of course, be one of them unbodied psions or maybe a spectral savant.

hush little baby, don't say a word
    and never mind that noise you heard
    it's just the beast under your bed,
    in your closet, in your head

-Metallica, enter sandman

Sadly, that sounds really boring in latin.

But the whole setup brings a rather amusing scenario to mind:
    Master1 - Ow!
    Master2 -What? Why are you rubbing your nose?
    Master1 - I walked into a wall. D*** it's hard to see in here.
    Master2 - What wall? *feels around in front of him* An invisible wall, great. Well go around it.
    Master1 - Do you feel watched?
    Master2 - ...no?
    Master1 - It feels like someone's watching me, its freaking me out.
    Master2 - Whatever, lets go already.
    *creepy-little-girl-laugh*
    Master2 - What was that?
    Master1 - It came from over there... let's go the other way.
    Master2 - agreed.
    Master1 - *SCREAM*
    Master2 - What!? ...where are you? hello? ...anyone? *looks up*
    From the ceiling dozens of glowing eyes stares down at him.
    Master2 - ... *runs for the door*
    *outside*
    Master1 - You went in before me? We're supposed to be a team!
    Master2 - *GitP lack the emotes to represent his reaction* *faints*

And that's just a wall of force, natural darkness, ghost sound/create sound, dimension swap (with the incorporeal manifester then disappearing through the floor), false sensory input and psionic modify memory, in order of appearance.

28. - Top - End - #28

So, it seems that you are making a campain about this? The BBEG that comes to mind is Giovanni, but you said not to use him in that role except in CharOp games. While, if you can't have him you can have two recuiring villians. A girl with long red hair who favors snake like monsters, and a boy with blue hair who favors plants and floating monsters. Add in a awaked cat and you got a nice group of villians to attack the party whenever you want.

29. - Top - End - #29

Collin:
    1. It's your mental health at risk from scrying me, who needs Suggestion when I've got no impulse control, and I am already dealing with brain damage induced amnesia. Translation: if it magic were real, you'd be the least of my worries at this point.
    2. It's nice that we agree on the general concept of badges at least.
    3. How about both? Collin Gifford, leader of the Incorporeal Gym sounds good to me.
    4. Seeing as how you need to defeat the creature within 3 rounds of it failing a save made against an ability with a limited number of uses a day (and that's just to obtain it, control is a different story altogether)... I figured it'd be total control with an echo of it's behaviors (to cover things like skill checks and AoOs) before being Indexed.
    5. I'd say capturing a good one was the more evil act.
    6. A lot.
    7. Things like Terrasque, avatars of the gods, and the like would easily qualify.
    8. That's up to the DM to decide for the players. If the creature market in one game has nothing above CR5s available, and another has wholesale prices on epic ones... That's all on the people playing.
    9. That would depend. Are you trying to be theatrical, or obnoxious?

Norr: What name would you like used? The Shapechanger Gym seems to be your calling.

Phantom: The Giovanni thing is still in the works. The manifested character would make for a great BBEG, but would have to be adjusted to suit the game being played.
    Last edited by Hadrian_Emrys; 2008-04-15 at 02:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Responding in order catagorical:
    1. Whats a risk to my mental health is referring to myself in the plural and conversing with myelf as though I were many. I think staring at a guy magically wouldn't hurt me any more than it does nonmagically.
    2. Yes, it is good, at least.
    3. Hmm, very well, I just find Collin a very... un-fittinginacal name.
    Also, are the yreferred to as Gyms in this world? "The Fort of the Weightless Step" means just as much, but sounds much more serious.
    Of course, i made that name up as I was typing it, so it's obviosuly much worse than what we can come up with together.
    4. I still find the "Initiate Capture, then attempt to defeat" process a little odd. As I seem to recall, if the little buggers were weak enough, you could get em without a fight. More inclined to give them some kind of check with penalties as they are weaker, essentialyl automatic when they're unconcious.
    5. Pah, I'll just play a neutral character and screw the morality system. Among other things.
    6. Probably, ma cher. You should reply more often.
    7. Tarrasque, of course, avatars, of course, but I was pondering on thigns a bit more... common.
    8. Selling a dragon at a buyers market: Ask me how!
    9. I tend toward theatrics, but I tend to be obnoxious. Which was I?