New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Swallow Whole?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Swallow Whole?

Frankly enough, I would like to get the swallow whole ability onto a humanoid.

1) Is there some RAW way of obtaining this without, um, polymorph/wild shape?

2) Is it particularly powerful, mechanically, to permit people to pick up the swallow whole ability as a feat?
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Swallow Whole?

Aside from designing a creature that has it? There are a couple of spells that grant it, I believe. The one that springs to mind immediately is Bite of the King, from the Spell Compendium.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I did mean without custom-creating a creature. Most of the DMs I play with are willing to house rule it as a feat, but I'm curious if there's some obscure RAW method of obtaining it.

Bite of the King, while awesome, doesn't quite give you the swallow whole ability. Regardless, it is still very good for what I'm attempting, so thank you.

Any other options?

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

It's a good monster ability. For a PC, you could just start stabbing yourself to save time. There's no way the "digestion" damage is anywhere equal to a mid-level character's damage potential against an opponent they can actually attack, and while alive, the opponent is going to be taking free shots at you. (Actually, looking at the rules, it doesn't look like it's specified whether the damage to your interior is really deducted from your hit points. I don't see how it wouldn't be, personally. You're getting stabbed from the inside.

Also, most PCs aren't Large, so the ability is very limited for them. (That's, what, two Small creatures that fit in your gullet?)

That said, for monsters, just give a big humanoid a bite attack, improved grab, and the swallow whole ability and increase it's CR by 1. (You do need all three, by my reading of the rules.) Very simple.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

That's assuming that the PC has a light slashing/piercing weapon. That's why you swallow the fighter or cleric, not the rogue.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-04-19 at 10:53 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    That's assuming that the PC has a light slashing/piercing weapon. That's why you swallow the fighter or cleric, not the rogue.
    Like I said in the tendriculous thread, every adventurer worth their salt is going to have a main weapon, a ranged weapon, a dagger (everyone has a dagger, which is what you need to get out of bellies anyway), and a bludgeoning weapon. Fighters especially.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, none of the Order of the Stick, then? I'd better warn my own PCs, for that matter.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I made a PrC once that gave a character something like a swallow ability, combining somethings from BoED and some 3rd party books....
    But seriously, it's a special abilities some monsters have as a racial ability. No way to "grant" it to something, by RAW, as far as I know.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

So, none of the Order of the Stick, then? I'd better warn my own PCs, for that matter.
    I can no more comprehend a D&D PC not having a dagger than I can comprehend a D&D PC not having a backpack.

Versatile weapons are especially critical at low levels, where zombies or skeletons are turned from useless mooks into real obstacles if you can't pass their DR - but no adventurer ever has an excuse for not carrying a dagger, especially seeing how cheap they are.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, curses. I didn't think you could, and I didn't exactly want it for the best in mechanical optimization. Oh, well. Raising CRs doesn't quite work, as I wanted this to be a PC option.

Anyway, thank you all for your responses - homebrew it is.

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Aah... fond memories of a dire shark swallowing the half-vampire bard...

An arrow is a light piercing weapon, albeit improvised when used in melee.
    Last edited by Pironious; 2008-04-19 at 07:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick_BR View Post
    I made a PrC once that gave a character something like a swallow ability, combining somethings from BoED and some 3rd party books....
    But seriously, it's a special abilities some monsters have as a racial ability. No way to "grant" it to something, by RAW, as far as I know.
    Sarruhk. But only to scaly things.
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Doesn't Belkar have -two- daggers? He's also the smallest.
    Lyra Corvis- Avy done by Mechafox(Thanks!)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Now, it is not quite what you are looking for, but in the Horde Player's Compendium from the WoW series, there is a head-slot item which let's you "swallow" others.
    With a successful melee touch attack, and the victim fails a will save, your helm would instantly devour any target up to large size. While swallowed, the creature is in an extradimensional space without any dangers, but, well, it is somehow swallowed.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The problem with Belkar's weapons are that daggers have quite a limited range increment, and they can't do bludgeoning damage (not that Belkar seems to understand damage reduction considering how he tried stabbing that zombie during the first Xykon fight).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    The problem with Belkar's weapons are that daggers have quite a limited range increment, and they can't do bludgeoning damage (not that Belkar seems to understand damage reduction considering how he tried stabbing that zombie during the first Xykon fight).
    What else was Belkar supposed to do in that situation besides try to cut through the ogres to join Roy?
    I think I just failed a Spot check.

17. - Top - End - #17

daggers are slashing and piercing.
    belkar uses short swords i think you'll find, they just look like daggers. cause he's small.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    if this thread is a 4e thread then play 3.5
    if this thread is a 3.5 thread then play 4e

devils advocacy by signature

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    Now, it is not quite what you are looking for, but in the Horde Player's Compendium from the WoW series, there is a head-slot item which let's you "swallow" others.
    With a successful melee touch attack, and the victim fails a will save, your helm would instantly devour any target up to large size. While swallowed, the creature is in an extradimensional space without any dangers, but, well, it is somehow swallowed.
    That's wonderful! (Or at least, very helpful).

Thank you much. I have a friend with that book, so I'll go hunt him down for it. At least there's something...

So now it's that helmet, and Bite of the King.

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post
    I can no more comprehend a D&D PC not having a dagger than I can comprehend a D&D PC not having a backpack.

Versatile weapons are especially critical at low levels, where zombies or skeletons are turned from useless mooks into real obstacles if you can't pass their DR - but no adventurer ever has an excuse for not carrying a dagger, especially seeing how cheap they are.
    But can you draw a dagger while swallowed? You're grappled and would have to win a grapple check, no? And if you could win such checks, what're you doing swallowed in the first place?
    The Giant Wrote: I bend the rules when it makes it funny. Accept.

Unrelated to the above:
    I was gone from the forums for seven years, two months and a week. Let's see if I've been reeled back in.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai_II View Post
    But can you draw a dagger while swallowed? You're grappled and would have to win a grapple check, no? And if you could win such checks, what're you doing swallowed in the first place?
    You can draw a light weapon with a move action provided you succeed on a grapple check, yes. Well, it still gives you an option when you're swallowed. Better than just sitting there and getting slowly digested.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, it seems to me that the chance to get out if you win one grapple check and then hack at the thing is better than the chance to get out if you win, what, 3 grapple checks? (One to climb into the mouth, one to get out of the pin, and one to get out of the grapple.)

"You shouldn't bother preparing for a bad situation because it's difficult to get out of it" sounds like a bad logic to me. The fact that monsters that swallow you have high Grapple modifiers is precisely why you should have that dagger on you. (Although obviously armor razors from Underdark and/or Races of Faerûn are even better.)

And having a dagger, a ranged weapon, and a bludgeoning melee weapon on you is crucial for about a million other reasons, too.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

And having a dagger, a ranged weapon, and a bludgeoning melee weapon on you is crucial for about a million other reasons, too.
    But compare this to a sword-and-board fighter who has a Longsword, a Trident, and a Warhammer. You're much more likely to get more use out of any one of those three than a dagger, and if you do have a dagger you're incredibly unlikely to need it except in the relatively rare occasion where you are swallow whole'd.

Or compare to the two-handed weapon fighter, who has a Greatsword, a Halberd, and a Heavy Flail. Don't actually need the greatsword there, it's just most popular. You'll get a lot more use out of those three than coincidentally having a dagger on you in 99% of occasions.

Really, if you're preparing for each and every problem that could possibly come up, then you're going to need a ton of things - in particular, you're going to need several special material weapons of a bunch of types. More types necessary if you go out of core. Think of /good and /evil DR, for example. Or creatures who have incredibly specific DRX/good and silver or the like.

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FlyMolo View Post
    Sarruhk. But only to scaly things.
    Is it that creature that can copy special abilities? Hmm... could work, though, as far as I understood, it can copy almost any abilities. I'll have to look it up. It's from which book, Savage Species?

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick_BR View Post
    Is it that creature that can copy special abilities? Hmm... could work, though, as far as I understood, it can copy almost any abilities. I'll have to look it up. It's from which book, Savage Species?
    Serpent Kingdoms.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?