New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default If you were in my shoes...

What would you build?

After a particularly nasty fight against a ghost wizard and his hordes of undead minions, my cleric ended up going to -10 just as the fight ended... (Greater Dispel Magic, Maximized Enervation, Cloudkill, Evard's... the ghost didn't like elves)...

So now I sit with the option wide open as to what to make and play. The DM is allowing me to come back in at the same level since I died as a result of good gameplay and not because I just felt like switching.

The Party (all around level 12)
    Dwarf Fighter - Uberchargin' cleave mastah.
    Whisper Gnome Scout/Ranger/Rogue [Melee] - Skill monkey doin' the scout dance.
    Wizard/Geometer/Fatespinner - He makes us fly and then blows stuff up.
    Human Marshal/Chameleon - We don't know he's a chameleon... we think he's a marshal wizard. Like... we didn't even know OUT of character until recently.
    Warlock/Cleric/Eldritch Theurge - he gets Healing Blast soon.

Edit: The marshal has a cohort. Monk/Shadow Sun Ninja, 11th level.

I -was- a Cleric/Radiant Servant/Sacred Exorcist.

Now I can be annnnything. Level 12. All books but the setting specific stuff (pretty much).

What would you make? I did make a jade pheonix mage as a backup char... but the wizard covers the majority of what i'd be doing. Maybe a normal ToB character.. Anything really.
    Last edited by SamTheCleric; 2008-04-21 at 07:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: If you were in my shoes...

How often can Healing Blast be used, and how good is it? Being as there isn't a full healer in the group unless the Warloc/Cleric would be effective, I would suggest Favoured Soul while taking Vigour spells due to them being more cost effective then Cure spells as long as you have time for them to work. Alternatively, if you need more Knowledge, an Archivist would probably work well (you would really be needed on the frontline that badly due to the other party member's classes).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Healing Blast converts his Eldritch Blast (which I think is 7d6... maybe 8d6) into a healing blast... that can be shaped like a normal eldritch blast (he has Chain right now, so he'd get 3 people with it)... and it costs a turn attempt to do it... of which he will have like 7-10.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

That sounds pretty effective. Perhaps a Druid would work well? It's always a good idea to have a back-up healer, and you'd be useful in combat and wilderness scenaios. If you didn't want to be overpowered, the Shapeshifter variant would probably work well.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

What about a Crusader? They get some limited heal-like abilities right?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I honestly don't know that much about the ToB classes. I think Crusaders get 1 ability which allows them to use Fast Healing 2 on all allies within 30 ft. as long as they are fighting, but I don't know anything specific about them (they may have a maneuver which can be used for more effective on-the-spot healing).
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. Druid may work... I just don't want to go 'zilla and overshadow everyone.. (I almost did with my cleric... persisted divine power was fun... till it got dispelled)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Crusaders get multiple abilities that heal, including a stance that lets them heal 2 hp to anyone within 30 feet whenever they hit an enemy. The downside to their abilities is they're all combat oriented and can't really be used during down time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

That's why I suggested the Shapeshifter variant (if you think Spontaneous SNA is too powerful, you could ask the DM if you could use the Sponaneous Rejuvination variant as well: Chronicled said a while back that he found that Druid variant was well balanced). If your not familiar with these variants, check out page 38 of http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules...asses-Base.pdf .
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-04-21 at 12:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

If it's wide open, what do you enjoy more? blasting things w/ spells or hitting them w/ a big stick?

11. - Top - End - #11

If you want to do ToB, you could go Swordsage 7/Master of nine 3/Legacy Champion 2. If you go legacy champion all the way to level 20 and add the level bonuses, to master of nine, you will have a lot of maneuvers readied and known.
    Check out my class, the Clothfighter.

Spoiler
    Show

Thing-Thing and Inkscape Avatars by me

Paint-atar by me.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. Variant Druid... I'll have to read exactly what they do at each level.. but that may work.

I dont want to leave them without ANY healing... My Darts of Life were kinda important.

I did like the Idea of a Favored Soul/Malconvoker... and that could easily serve as back up healing as well.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

How about a Bard?

This party has all of the main character types covered, though more healing wouldn't be out of the question. Melee combat appears to be pretty well covered. My recommendation is a Dragon Shaman (Extra healing and clericness, more melee, some odd abilities), War Weaver (buff everyone), or Druid (Healing, druidy goodness)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

What exactly is a Malconvoker? I've never heard of those before.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

A good summoner that uses bluff to summon evil creatures and lies to them to stick around longer, etc.

16. - Top - End - #16

It's a PrC from Comp. Scoundrel that lets a good cleric trick demons into doing their bidding. Nicely flavorful and gets a bunch of bonuses to the summon planar ally line of spells.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for telling me (it sounds interesting). Just out of curiosity, does it grant any armour proficiencies, and does it cause you to lose spell levels? (The latter shouldn't be that much of an issue in this particular game, but I'm just curious).
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it loses only 1 casting level... and gets all sorts of goodies to make up for it (like any time you summon, you get +1 creatures... so summon 1 imp, get 2 imps! and they all have extra HP... etc)

Mastering the Malconvoker - On the Char Op Boards

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for giving me the link. If the class has poor BAB and/or a worse HD, you may want to pick a diety which would allow you to focus on ranged combat (Ehlonna would give you free Longbow proficiency with WF and WS for that weapon).
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Crusader can make you both a secondary healer, and a secondary commander, so you can help the warlock and the marshall, while still being able to fight effectively.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

I'd try Ruby Knight Vindicator or maybe Crusader-based Eternal Blade or Master of Nine. Also, Druid is always a good choice, of course, but if you've been looking at ToB, there're tons of good options, including the mentioned. Eternal Blade just kicks ass with all the abilities (you'll want some Int and probably few Warblade-levels though), Master of Nine is an incredibly versatile character that can literally be whatever you want it to be, and Ruby Knight Vindicator has few completely unique abilities, most importantly the ability to burn Turn-attempts for extra Swift Actions. So yea, all of those should be enjoyable, or even just a straight ToB-character; Swordsage, maybe?

How about Bard > Arcane Archer > Sublime Chord > Gish? You're on high enough level to pick it up. There's even that Prestige that allows you to pick up Heal so you'd be a full-fledged curing machine in addition to being a master singer, a master of the arcane arts and a superb ranged combatant.

Maybe something Psionic? There's a ton of fun character concepts in there, and around level 20, those damage moving/self-healing comboes have already kicked in so healing is no real problem. A straight Psion is tons of fun and quite powerful.

The sky's the limit. Have fun.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally I'd go Crusader maybe dip cleric and take Ruby Knight Vindicator (though that might be too close to what you were before). Though if you go Dwarf, you could take Deepstone Sentinel or Elf and Eternal Blade. Of course, Crusader is pretty good for all 20 levels, so straight Crusader would be fun. Another option I would consider is Warblade into Bloodstorm Blade and go ranged by throwing greatswords...and power attacking!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Yeah, go for a Ruby Knight Windicator. Cleric *and* Crusader goodies.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I think I'll whip up a crusader when I get home today... (Curse no having books at work!)

Thanks for your input guys. I may be back to ask about the maneuvers... cause ... I'm pretty dumb when it comes to selecting ones that are actually effective

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

CW Samurai.

Or maybe a Feral Goliath VoP Monk with a focus on grappling.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Assuming I go for Crusader... Two-Handed weapon or sword-and-board style? Am I relying more on Maneuvers than the 2-to-1 power attack?

(Note, the charging dwarf is sword and board... not exactly uber charger, but his dwarven waraxe does do a lot of damage.)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Sword & Board is actually half-decent for a Crusader thanks to the Devoted Spirit-maneuver which allows giving an ally your Shield-bonus +4. However, THF is still better as you can wield a reach weapon for battlefield control (that's what Crusader really is THE best at, thanks to Thicket of Blades). PA can be good, but your maneuvers kinda have that covered.

Really, the good thing about Crusader is that anything works. Sword & Board is ok, THF is good, but both are possible as your maneuvers give you damage and battlefield control.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

28. - Top - End - #28

DruidGuy

Hi

The Eldritch Theurge with Extra Turning feat & good charisma is excellent start.

Also look into the Wraith's Woe in Magic Item Compendium.

Three items (Choker, Gauntlets & Shirt), cost 24,000gp does:

+2 AC vs undead
    Protects vs 3 Neg lvls/day
    Ignore incorporeal miss chance
    +1 D6 melee dam vs incorporeal
    Permanent Hide from Undead - ignore undead int (std action to reapply after attack undead)
    Detect Undead at will
    1/day cure all stat damage to all stats, plus all drain to one stat.

Also try xx/Kensai 7. Upgrade weapon to:
    Weapon +1/Holy/Sacred Burst/Ghost Strike with Lssr Revelation Crystal.

You can now hit Incorporeal, do Holy damage, even reveal Incorporeal creatures. Also do extra damage to Undead & Evil Outsiders, more on crit. (See description).

(Also having problem with undead in home campaign - using Samurai 1/Ftr 4/Kensai 6).

Cheers
    Paul H

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SamTheCleric View Post
    Assuming I go for Crusader... Two-Handed weapon or sword-and-board style? Am I relying more on Maneuvers than the 2-to-1 power attack?

(Note, the charging dwarf is sword and board... not exactly uber charger, but his dwarven waraxe does do a lot of damage.)
    Since it seems you aren't too worried about optimization, it really doesn't matter, especially with Crusader since you'll never run out of maneuvers to pull. So, in short, go with which you like best for fluff reasons.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dragonfire Adept Baby. Soooo much funzorz.