New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Is there any method to give negative level/ability damage on undeads?

I know they are immune to that kind of damage, but i's curious if there is any metamagic effects or something that can break it.

by the way, what is the best tactics/spell that Wizard should use against undeads?
    Last edited by neochaos; 2008-04-24 at 10:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Is there any method to give negative level/ability damage?

Your title and question are rather vague - I didn't know that you were talking about undead until the last word.

Anyway, as far as I know, the only way to do ability damage to undead is through ravages and afflictions from the BOED. As for how to fight them, if you're high enough level, Undeath to Death always works. Otherwise, just use standard blasting.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Is there any method to give negative level/ability damage?

There's a 2nd-level spell in Frostburn, Bone Chill, that will paralyze undead on a failed Fortitude save. Only Fort save-or-lose that works against undead at low levels, as far as I know. The drawback is that it only works against undead, and it also requires a touch attack, which can be unreliable at low levels.

Command Undead is good if you expect to face any mindless undead.

At higher levels, Disintegrate is good (and remains a pretty good spell against other enemies, and has utility value, too). Glass Strike (Spell Compendium) arguably works against undead, because it can target objects too. Polymorph Any Object is one of the ultimate anti-undead spells.

As for ability damage/negative levels, I don't think it's possible to give them negative levels, but undead aren't immune to mental ability damage. You just have to find a way to deal it that doesn't involve poison, disease, or enchantments. Aside from BoED ravages and afflictions, and the Affliction spell of the same book, I can't think of any offhand.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Is there any method to give negative level/ability damage on undeads?

You know what else undead aren't immune to? Point blank annihilation. DD spells work, as does smacky-smacky. Illusions work (Silent Image against mindless=stupid enemies), there's a bunch of Necromancy that works, and Abjuration works. Conjuration works on multiple facets (summoning, damage, battlefield control). Enchantment doesn't really work though.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Join the PrC creation contest!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DonThelonious
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Is there any method to give negative level/ability damage on undeads?

thanks everyone, but could you people give me more specific spells effective against high-power undeads like lichs? and, isn't Undead to Death ineffective agianst undeads above 10HD?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, it's not THAT great. I suggest going to one of the wizard's handbooks and find help there, by looking at the various spell stuffs. If you that doesn't help you, come back here and I'm sure someone else can help you (I'm not an arcanist expert).
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Join the PrC creation contest!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DonThelonious
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

A rogue with Crippling Strike and Savvy Rogue should be able to do strength damage to undead with Sneak Attacks.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

There's always positoxins (poisons for undead) from Libris Mortis, which, despite their normal immunity, can inflict physical attribute drain.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Leroy
    Oscar: I'm bakin' fireworks.
    Oscar: Something's different about these mashed potatoes.
    Emma: That's because it's RICE.
    Brent: That's right, Wes is nuts. This coming from a guy who once punched a skunk.
    Oscar: He had it comin'.
    The world needs more Corner Gas.