New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Teaching girls to play

Okay im in highschool and i got this nutty notion that i could maybe teach a gang of nerdy girls i know how to play D&D. I dont have a group cause i moved to San Antonio about a year ago but i think i could teach them how to play. Any tips or sugestions for teaching girls?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Teaching girls to play

Teach as you'd teach boys, but don't give 'em playful punches. That is all.

I'd recommend starting with either ToB chars, favored souls, binders, or factotum. Those won't break the game, but they're strong out of the box.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by salmonking2 View Post
    Okay im in highschool and i got this nutty notion that i could maybe teach a gang of nerdy girls i know how to play D&D. I dont have a group cause i moved to San Antonio about a year ago but i think i could teach them how to play. Any tips or sugestions for teaching girls?
    Yeah. Girls are people too. Teach them just the same way you'd teach anyone else.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Just do it exactly the same way you would teach people who possess Y chromosomes. Girls are fundamentally more or less the same as boys and chances are that what works with boys also works with girls, taking the personality of the individuals into account of course. But really individual differences also present among members of each gender is more important than the gender of those you want to teach.

5. - Top - End - #5

And No LARPing. As I said, there's just about no girls who like having to dodge punches.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

lol k thanks then guys

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    And No LARPing. As I said, there's just about no girls who like having to dodge punches.
    I think that is not gender linked, but how they were raised as well...
    Otherwise, all but one of my sisters is the exception, so... there's 6 exceptions.
    Of course, they always are.

Backing up, to use them as a comparison, however. The one that doesn't like being hit playfully at all is also my only sibling that plays D&D.. hm..

Personally, I don't recommend punching anybody. They secretly might not like it.

8. - Top - End - #8

What I mean is, most boys do trade joke punches with friends, and it is a semi-common way of showing trust. Girls mostly don't, and don't react well to that, usually, because, I believe, they take it as a REAL attack.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SweetRein View Post
    Personally, I don't recommend punching anybody. They secretly might not like it.
    And of course other times they might secretly like it... and that's a whole different can of worms

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    What I mean is, most boys do trade joke punches with friends, and it is a semi-common way of showing trust. Girls mostly don't, and don't react well to that, usually, because, I believe, they take it as a REAL attack.
    Utter posh.
    I hate it when people do that to me- it hurts!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

My friends and I do punches on each other, but light punches that don't really hurt.

12. - Top - End - #12

That's part of the whole idea. Yeah, you shouldn't do that to a friend, but I forgive you anyway 'cause you're my buddy.

Ain't it just great when you ramble off?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    My friends and I do punches on each other, but light punches that don't really hurt.
    I'm known to get bruises from a brush.
    A "light punch" will hurt me.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Just keep it simple. I'd hold off on ToB and all that other stuff. Make learning the basic concepts of the game as painless as possible and then move on to bigger things.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

girls don't play D&d, its in the rules
    from
    EE

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    girls don't play D&d, its in the rules
    from
    EE
    RAW FTW, eh?
    Keith Baker, on the age of Erandis d'Vol:
    Spoiler
    Show

... The miniature of her certainly makes her look older, but personally I like young Erandis both on the basis that the purge of the line started before she could grow into her full powers, and also because it lets her and Jaela have a vicious catfight sometime.

Maybe I'm playing a wrong game.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

start them all off with gestalt artificer//wizards it's a fairly simple INT synergy combination and offers very good power potential not to mention shows how versatile D&D characters can be. I'd also recommend starting at higher levels, to show them the meat of D&D, it's a game about heroes, after all. Maybe try artificer//wizard/incantatrix so that you can go through the concept of prestige classes at the same time.

-or-

Start off with some basic stuff: maybe limit the selection to basic fighters and spontaneous casters, I find sorcerers MUCH easier to handle than wizards, and we're talking about newbies so...

Fighter, paladin, favored soul, sorcerer, rogue, barbarian, monk, bard, beguiler, dragon shaman, knight, warlock, and duskblade all spring to mind as easier. You can walk them through the character creation process if you need to, but remember to let them do what they want to do, no "you must take this ubercharger build" for the fighter player.

Start at level 2 or 3. Level 1 is a pain because of fatality and low levels are simpler.

Once in session, focus on roleplay to start and get them comfortable with the basic RPG concept, then lead them towards an encounter.

explain non-rules rules before hand. Things like "if no one remembers a rule, I'll adjudicate something and we'll look it up later."

Be very, very patient.

If teaching boys, all the above ideas apply.

[Edit]: If using mood music, do not use Barry White.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-04-25 at 07:05 PM.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Then why is everything in the SRD "she"???
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Then why is everything in the SRD "she"???
    To promote equality I guess.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd suggest a level 3 game, low magic.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Yeah. Girls are people too. Teach them just the same way you'd teach anyone else.
    Provided, of course, that your usual methods of teaching involve neither dirty jokes nor "shirts vs skins."
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Revanmal View Post
    To promote equality I guess.
    I always thought it was because women look cooler when doing the same things

To answer the OP's question, you must first /capture/ the female specimens in question. I won't go into that, that's your problem. From there, look into pavlovian conditioning, I'd say. Makes it very quick. And don't spare the whip.

23. - Top - End - #23

Use sleeping darts. Avoid Catgirls. Don't show 'em any pics of females if they're radical feminists. Make sure roleplay more than you rollplay.

Also, get someone to fix me my sarcas-o-meter. It's broke down.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by salmonking2 View Post
    I assume the girls have math proficiency at the middle school level (a prerequisite for being nerdy and in high school), have memories approximately equal to your own, and are flexible enough to handle the concept of "roleplaying."

If they do not, then it does not matter if they are male or female, they will be unable to learn and play the game.

If they do, then it does not matter if they are male or female. You need no special techniques. There is nothing about D&D which makes it harder or easier for members of one sex to learn than the other.

All you have to do is whatever you normally do to avoid looking like an ass to girls. Treating them like they need special teaching techniques to learn the game comes to mind as something NOT to do.

Note: if you do not normally avoid looking like an ass to girls, you have a problem. But the problem isn't one of D&D. You'd have most of the same problem trying to teach them anything. Or learn anything from them. Or just interact with them without trying to teach or learn anything.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Rutee View Post
    I always thought it was because women look cooler when doing the same things

To answer the OP's question, you must first /capture/ the female specimens in question. I won't go into that, that's your problem. From there, look into pavlovian conditioning, I'd say. Makes it very quick. And don't spare the whip.
    I have never agreed with anything you have posted as much as this.

I wholeheartily second both paragraphs.
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-04-25 at 08:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Dunno. As much as I enjoy Marillion, not everybody likes it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think under no condition should you show these girls character art from your D&D books that remotely arouses you.

On a side note:
    When I teach the game to anyone I tend to describe the rules in a manner even an idiot would get. Unfortunately because of my teaching method the few girl players I've taught tend to think I'm treating them this way cause they're girls. Try to be more respectful to girl players I guess; cause these girls probably have their own stereo-types for how they are going to be treated by male players and DMs. Oh and don't show them elves before any other races.
    Last edited by Tough_Tonka; 2008-04-25 at 08:54 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

FWIW: I had a game recently with 3 newbie players: a really nerdy guy, a fairly nerdy guy, and a "closet nerd" girl.

Guess which one picked up the game the fastest.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

29. - Top - End - #29

DwarfClericGuy

yes as stated already girls are peaple to. And are smart enough to vote at 18!!! No locker room humor.

This is for teaching any one the game.
    Some one said use TOB. DO not thats a bad idea. Stay with the three core books. first level for afew small intro adventures. After one or two let them level. Keep it low magic. If you keep it low magic then magic is cool and misterios. Let them injoy the fun of a back of tricks.

Also ive seen a book written by a women about girls in gaming at borders. I dont recal the title. Its white and pink with a classy looking uptown girl on the cover tossing a fire ball at a group of idiot boys. read it. and for fun show it to them. You most likly will find this near the gaming books in the book store.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Ugh. Memories of school in my teens. Used to punch each other in the biceps as hard as possible(which sucked for those of us whose muscular development was on the opposite end of puberty from the "other stuff"), try to crush each other's hands in handshakes, and so on. Utterly stupid rituals.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.