New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Returning Sword?

I am currently in a campaign in which my character lives by his sword and does not use another weapon. So i was wondering if there was an enchantment that i could put on this sword so that it would return to him if he threw it. Any one know anything?
    Christmas elves must die, right? Or atleast change it to Christmas dwarves/gnomes

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

The few.
    The proud.
    The PC's

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Returning Sword?

Er, yes. Returning.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

lol, i guess i didn't look hard enough, Thanks
    Christmas elves must die, right? Or atleast change it to Christmas dwarves/gnomes

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

The few.
    The proud.
    The PC's

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Returning, as tyckspoon mentioned, works, or you could try the teleporting ability, from Expanded Psionics Handbook. It can also be found here, at the very bottom of the page.

Teleporting: This ability can be imbedded only in weapons that can be thrown. A teleporting weapon returns through the Astral Plane to the creature that threw it. It teleports into the throwing creature’s empty hand in the round following the round when it was thrown, just before that creature’s turn. It is therefore ready to use again on that turn.
    Faint psychoportation; ML 5th; Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, psionic dimension door; Price +1 bonus.
    It's probably better, since returning forces you to stay in one place, while teleporting makes the weapon come back to you no matter where you moved.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Technically, I think you have to put Throwing on it first to make it a ranged weapon. You should do that if you're going to throw it anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Will that actually work though? The description says it only works for weapons that can be thrown. Pretty much any weapon can be thrown, but most incur a penalty because they aren't designed to be thrown.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Do note that it needs to be a thrown weapon first. I know you can technically throw anything as a weapon, but it's referring to thrown weapons, the type. So you'll need throwing on it first. However it's been my dream for a long time to play a Master Thrower who uses scythes. Yeah, you heard me, scythes. Or falchions. 19-20x5 or 15-20x3, one or the other.

EDIT: Curse the ninja!
    Last edited by dman11235; 2008-04-27 at 10:48 PM.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Join the PrC creation contest!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DonThelonious
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Technically, I think you have to put Throwing on it first to make it a ranged weapon. You should do that if you're going to throw it anyway.
    Yeah, I sort of assumed he was going to go for throwing and returning/teleporting..

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by dman11235 View Post
    Do note that it needs to be a thrown weapon first. I know you can technically throw anything as a weapon, but it's referring to thrown weapons, the type. So you'll need throwing on it first. However it's been my dream for a long time to play a Master Thrower who uses scythes. Yeah, you heard me, scythes. Or falchions. 19-20x5 or 15-20x3, one or the other.
    Master Thrower? Psh. Go with Bloodstorm Blade from ToB instead. It gets much cooler throwing-related abilities (i.e., full attack with throws, PA with thrown weapons, etc.).
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-04-27 at 10:50 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well even if the returning ability requires the weapon to be a thrown weapon, its not game braking to ingore that. DM's Ok is all thats needed. Hmm I wonder of you can mod the returning ability for armor. Say the command word and pop your fully armored.

10. - Top - End - #10

Who says I'm not doing that too? I just want Master Thrower for the free Imp Crit and the crit multiplier thing. x5 crit multipliers are fun. Same with 15-20x3. And if I really want to take pw attack for thrown weapons, a feat does that. Master Throwers are fun. Also, Disciple of Darkness (or whatever) from BoVD(?) that increases the threat range more. And Psychic Weapon Master for a further enhancement...
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawriel View Post
    Well even if the returning ability requires the weapon to be a thrown weapon, its not game braking to ingore that. DM's Ok is all thats needed. Hmm I wonder of you can mod the returning ability for armor. Say the command word and pop your fully armored.
    Magic Item Compendium has that already. It's flavorful, though I'd really only look at it for a social Rogue or Bard.

At the OP:
    Have you checked out the Bloodstorm Blade PrC? It's probably a good boost for your power, and gets Returning weapons as a class feature.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

12. - Top - End - #12

Goblin

Well, by RAW you could put spikes on the armour, echant the spikes as Throwing, and then it qualifies for Returning. But that'd just bring the armour back to you after you threw it.

Heh. Thrown armour.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Behold, Captain America!

...Wow, now that I think about it, Captain America had a really lame power. Seriously, generic "super fighting" abilities and a shield that he throws at people? Seriously, that guy got by on sheer patriotism alone.

Alright, back on topic now:
    I suppose, if you really wanted to, you could craft a suit of armor with the returning property. In which case you'd have a suit of armor that you could throw at people, and it would fly back into your hand. No command words, since the property only activates when the weapon is thrown, and no instant donning, since the property only gets it back to your square (you have to catch it yourself as a free action).
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Hmm I wonder of you can mod the returning ability for armor. Say the command word and pop your fully armored.
    Called Armor, Magic Item Compenium, +2000 gp enchantment. A really good deal, both for social types and full-plate wearers.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

If you toss Backbiter on it, it's sure to come back for you.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Who says I'm not doing that too? I just want Master Thrower for the free Imp Crit and the crit multiplier thing. x5 crit multipliers are fun. Same with 15-20x3. And if I really want to take pw attack for thrown weapons, a feat does that. Master Throwers are fun. Also, Disciple of Darkness (or whatever) from BoVD(?) that increases the threat range more. And Psychic Weapon Master for a further enhancement...
    Huh... I guess I never really looked at Master Thrower. I thought it was one of those Rogue-type feinting/throwing PrCs. They do get some pretty cool stuff, now that I look at it. One questions, though - it requires you to have Weapon Focus (any thrown weapon), but does throwing actually make the weapon a thrown weapon? I mean, it gives it a range increment and whatnot, but is that all that's required to be a "thrown weapon?" I mean, it makes sense, but I'm not sure about it.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

17. - Top - End - #17

I believe it does, and the Throw Anything feat (CW and ToB) will let anything count.

EDIT: I really want to play the scythe thrower now.
    Last edited by dman11235; 2008-04-27 at 11:06 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT: I really want to play the scythe thrower now.
    "I am become death, destroyer Dracula's Cohort."

19. - Top - End - #19

You will get a couple of fun encounters from this before all you see are plants, undead, oozes and constructs...

Still, the mental image alone is worth the attempt
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

buy a bunch of crystals? That should eliminate the problem of no crits.
    Wenton Miles: Grey Jedi SECR Vong PBP

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I've heard that, in the wild, if one DM encroaches upon the territory of another, the offended DM will attempt to assert their dominance by throwing sacks of d12s at the intruder. If this activity proves fruitless, the DM generally shrinks back to their den in defeat, relinquishing the land, only to blog about it on their MySpace later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyserpent View Post
    . . . the designers probably felt weird giving monsters Schrödinger's hit points.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I made a Bloodstorm Blade scythe-thrower for one of Duke of URL's gestalt contests... It does indeed make for a nice mental image.

It being a Gestalt character, I was also able to fit in Arcane Duelist, for yet more criticality.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

22. - Top - End - #22

Zombie

...Hmm I wonder of you can mod the returning ability for armor. Say the command word and pop your fully armored.
    Gizmo duck from DuckTales ?

23. - Top - End - #23

Was there dual PrC advancement allowed Chronos?

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Khanderas View Post
    Gizmo duck from DuckTales ?
    Okay, you got me. My paladin's called armor's command word is "blatherskite". Effing gnome artificers...
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naleh View Post
    Well, by RAW you could put spikes on the armour, echant the spikes as Throwing, and then it qualifies for Returning. But that'd just bring the armour back to you after you threw it.

Heh. Thrown armour.
    That's hilariously awesome. I have to see a villain who shoots his breastplate at people now.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    That's hilariously awesome. I have to see a villain who shoots his breastplate at people now.
    Or better yet, just have a Warforged. There's got to be an armor spikes Warforged Component out there somewhere. Just enchant the spikes with throwing and returning, and make a full attack to "shoot them" at people! Then at the end of the battle, just pick them back up and reattach them. It's like you're firing miniature non-exploding missiles!

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Or better yet, just have a Warforged. There's got to be an armor spikes Warforged Component out there somewhere. Just enchant the spikes with throwing and returning, and make a full attack to "shoot them" at people! Then at the end of the battle, just pick them back up and reattach them. It's like you're firing miniature non-exploding missiles!
    Now I'm picturing a Mecha with a little shoulder missile mount.
    That would be so hilariously awesome. Wow... you know what? I'm going to start listing these ideas.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

smile Re: Returning Sword?

It shoots guns, which shoot knives, which have grenades on them! Those of you who have seen "Baccano!" know what I mean when everyone in the room says "Holy bleep, it's a knife with a bomb on it!"