New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Good Monk Build...

A friend of mine told me that he's gonna be in another DM's "Heavens vs. Hells" campaign. He wants to be aware of a good build for a Monk character that'll probably be fighting evil outsiders. At the moment, he'll only be first-level, but it's good to have plans for one's character.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Good Monk Build...

It is always helpful to know which books are allowed and to what degree multiclassing out of monk fits his character concept (People will come along shortly and recommend he plays something else if they have not already).

I can also recommend a search or skim of older threads, since this issue has come up before.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

It is always helpful to know which books are allowed and to what degree multiclassing out of monk fits his character concept (People will come along shortly and recommend he plays something else if they have not already).

I can also recommend a search or skim of older threads, since this issue has come up before.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

4. - Top - End - #4

BoED has a lot of good feats for monks that are fighting evil outsiders. Vow of Nonviolence only applies against Humanoids and Monstrous Humanoids, and boosts your Stunning Fist DC by 4, some of the Ravages are good, and there's ones that give you bonus damage against evil things. Monks lack any remotely defence offense anyway, so Vow of Peace will put his defenses through the roof and let you use Trip, Grapple, Stunning Fist, and Stand Still for battlefield control, safe in the knowledge that he's probably one step away from immortal. If he's starting at lvl1, Vow of Poverty is actually a pretty good bargain and provides substantially better AC for the monk. It ceases to be a good bargain around level... 5-7, I'd say, so it depends how far you expect the campaign to go and whether you'll have a designated crafter ally. If you'll be trapped in enemy territory with no shops for long periods of time, it's a decent long-term investment too, just remind the DM that you can still use Tomes and Manuals (or Wish and Miracle) for high-level rewards.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Good Monk Build....

Swordsage 20

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
    Good Monk Build....

Swordsage 20
    Specifically, "Setting Sun"-focused Unarmed Swordsage Variant.... but yes, can't believe I didn't mention that.

Edit: To the OP - "Monk" is concidered one of the most drastically underpowered classes in the game. They're good at surviving, but lack any sort of offensive punch due to poor BAB (nerfs full-attack and grapple), poor weapons (no reach or two-handed), and generally poorly thought out abilities. Swordsages on the other hand are one of the three Tome of Battle classes, and generally devistatingly powerful and can keep pace (more or less) with spellcasters even in high level games. The Swordsage in particular has a very "Monk" flavour, and the book itself describes the "unarmed swordsage variant" which, for all intents and purposes, IS a Monk with a different (and far superior) set of combat options. Check it out if at all possible.
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2008-04-29 at 12:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
    Good Monk Build....

Swordsage 20
    Wizard 20 is better. Just tattoo your spellbook on yourself and Bam! You're a tattooed monk, which is even awesomer.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

yeeee another monk thread, words can't describe how much I longed for another one.
    Schrödinger cat? Schrödinger wizard? Schrödinger monk?
    What's next? Schrödinger equation? HΨ=EΨ? Seriously WTF?

The best summary of this board I've seen so far:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Giantitp: The only place you can turn a discussion on D&D Economics into an argument about toxic potatoes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

A monk that fights evil outsiders?

How about...

Monk 2/Ranger 5/Fist of the Forest 3/Sacred Fist 10

Using Ascetic Hunter feat and a liberal application of Favored Enemy (Evil Outsider)... you'd be fairly effective... and have a bunch of ranger-y spells (like Swift Haste)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Touch of Golden Ice, Sanctify Ki Strike, and Holy Ki Strike from BoED.

If you go the Exalted route, I'd suggest the Ascetic Knight feat from CAdv. Monk3 - Pal 4 - Monk 13. At 20th level that will get you an extra attack, Divine Grace, Lay On Hands (for any undead), Smite Evil 1/day, a couple extra hit points, and most likely a few first-level spells per day, at the cost of some skill points and saving throws.

Normally VoP wouldn't be worth it. But if you know for certain that you're going to be fighting mainly evil outsiders, it's worth a look. You get the most benefits from it if you take it from first level. Note that you may run out of useful feats; try to beg the DM to let you take other reasonable feats in place.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I'd recommend taking one level in monk and all the rest in Druid.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That's far too overpowered.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    A friend of mine told me that he's gonna be in another DM's "Heavens vs. Hells" campaign. He wants to be aware of a good build for a Monk character that'll probably be fighting evil outsiders. At the moment, he'll only be first-level, but it's good to have plans for one's character.
    If you must play a monk, read these

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=48573

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=978174

14. - Top - End - #14

I can't be certain what books are available until I have a chance to talk to him again.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Heh, a VoP Saint Monk1/Druid17 with Draconic Wildshape.... good times, good times, especially for the WLD.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Gloura 9 / Paladin 3 / Sorcerer 1 / Monk 1 / Hellreaver 6 with a high charisma and a ton of divine feats is one Charisma synergistic monster for the purposes of fighting demons.

No, OP, the radio crackered, you are the demons.

And the Monk was a zombie.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

My my. Where is Sir Giacomo when you need him?

We need to be enlightened by the OMFGWTFBBQ Ultimate Monk Build.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-04-29 at 12:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    My my. Where is Sir Giacomo when you need him?

We need to be enlightened by the OMFGWTFBBQ Ultimate Monk Build.
    Don't tempt fate, Solo. Savour each minute as it last before your peace can come to an end.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to point out that I actually tried to contribute to the request.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Pure monk, Vow of poverty.

Badassness, good aligned attacks, and free exalted feats.
    PC 1- *singing" Robin hood and little John running through the forest trying to get away...
    PC 2- Hey, you are right, this reminds me of that too.
    DM- Except that the king was king 348 years ago, and has undead powers...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avor View Post

Rebuttal in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Badness, mediocre aligned attacks, and free exalted feats.
    Fixed that for you

I'll leave the rebutting to the usual rules squad.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

23. - Top - End - #23

From what I heard from him, his DM's not being too intelligent about it anyway - he's letting another player play a Hound Archon (again, they're supposed to all be 1st level).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Uh-huh. And how do you... hurt things?
    Or... attack flying things?

VoP:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Like I said, normally VoP isn't worth it. But, in this particular case, he knows the campaign is going to be Evil Outsider-heavy. A lot of the Exalted feats are tilted specifically to giving extra damage, damage dice, and effects against Evil things in general and Evil Outsiders in particular. This would probably be the only time I would ever recommend VoP.

For flying things, I believe there is a tab somewhere in the DMG (away from books at the moment) that allows you to take an improved mount if you have a high enough Paladin level. I know that a friend of mine was able to get a Hippogriff mount in that way. You'd need at minimum 5 levels of Paladin to get a mount at all, and probably a few more on top of that to qualify for a better mount. A multiclassed Monk/Paladin could make use of that to hit flying targets. But otherwise, yeah, you'd need to beg your party Wizard to cast Fly on you.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Assuming your party doesn't concist of a bunch of power gamers. There are a few fun monk prestige classes, when added in conjunction with some minor tweaks to the class you could have a lot of fun and be able to keep up with the party.
    My first suggestion would be to drop the first level bonus feat and pick up the Draconic Fist variant from dragon magic pg. 12. Extra elemental damage(acid) as a swift action to your attack.
    Second suggestions would be to look into a way to making yourself larger. there are a few ways to do this mainly paying a mage to cast persistence(enlarge) on you.
    Third would be prestige class out of monk as soon as you can. There are a lot of interesting prestige classes that still carry your monk abities up (yes draconic fist will count for this) My favorite (flavor wise) being a Zerth Cenobite from complete psi pg 43. You can take this at low level (starting 6th) and pick up to 4th level powers from the psi warrior power list. Sure it might just be 5 powers. But the right 5 powers can be amazing in conjunction with a monk. Just focus on powers that last for a long time so you don't have to self buff. However if you don't want to go the master of temporal combat flavor there is always drunken master.
    Forth I agree that a vow of poverty would be rocking against evil outsiders (again assuming your party doesn't concist of power gamers who buy magic items like they were candy.)

27. - Top - End - #27

I can see the benefits Vow of Poverty would give, but what about the ability to overcome the Demons'/Devils' Damage Reduction?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The "Sanctify Ki Strike" feat overcomes it; one of the VoP powers might also overcome it (away from books at the moment).

29. - Top - End - #29

I talked to the player about it; not even HE knows what books the DM is using (always a bad sign, there). He decided to look up the Swordsage after I showed him this thread.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

You will take Touch of Golden Ice. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.